Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parvovirus in Dublin

Options
  • 24-01-2021 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.newstalk.com/news/pet-owners-warned-about-rise-in-dog-virus-in-dublin-1138010

I just received a text about this and I looked it up to see if it had been reported anywhere else.
    “There are a number of gastrointestinal viruses that go around the animal world, just like in the human world,” he said. “We do see, if you like, mini-outbreaks of these from time to time.
    “What is most worrying is a virus called parvovirus, which is a far more serious gastrointestinal virus that has effects right throughout the dog’s body – and it will often kill dogs regardless of what you do.
    “The other gastrointestinal viruses tend to be at least treatable and with the right approach, dogs get better – but if they pick up parvovirus then really, despite everything, many of them still die.
    “So, I would just be urging people to ensure that pets are properly vaccinated against parvovirus.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Suckit wrote: »
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/pet-owners-warned-about-rise-in-dog-virus-in-dublin-1138010

I just received a text about this and I looked it up to see if it had been reported anywhere else.

Doubt it’s parvovirus but there have been significant number of cases all along the east coast of dogs with vomiting and diarrhoea (my guy had diarrhoea mon - we’d is fine now) I’ve seen lots of posts on local forums of dogs suffering the same .. it’s seems there is a nasty bug about.

It’s all over Facebook for the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

cocker5 wrote: »
    Doubt it’s parvovirus but there have been significant number of cases all along the east coast of dogs with vomiting and diarrhoea (my guy had diarrhoea mon - we’d is fine now) I’ve seen lots of posts on local forums of dogs suffering the same .. it’s seems there is a nasty bug about.

It’s all over Facebook for the last week

Thanks my dog had vomiting and diarrhoea last weekend too, and didn't move from 6pm Saturday evening. I was going to bed after 2am and she still had not moved a muscle. I was very worried. Sunday she was showing large signs of improvement, and by Tuesday/Wednesday she was much better.
    OOC, why do you doubt it is parvovirus? In the message I received there were reports of dogs dying (2 I think it said) - but I tend not to believe whatsapp forwarded message without proof.
    I'm not on facebook so hadn't seen or heard anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Could this be something to do with the massive increase in plastic bag preserved dog faeces being left un-binned & not taken home?

This isn't hearsay, It's personal experience. I take part in beach cleanups and the amount of dog scat left on the bull Island both in plastic bags and simply left there has increased exponentially over the last year, we've had to ban the kids from taking part because of the amount of it after a few nasty experiences.

There seems to be organised dumping points, over 20 different types of plastic bags full of dog scat piled up in one area that we have to clean up and they tend to burst open on occasion.

I've had dogs and love dogs, I know they're naturally inclined to nose through scat to get info, this could be the cause of Illness.

I know people on this forum are responsible, I'm not finger pointing here.

Thanks my dog had vomiting and diarrhoea last weekend too, and didn't move from 6pm Saturday evening. I was going to bed after 2am and she still had not moved a muscle. I was very worried. Sunday she was showing large signs of improvement, and by Tuesday/Wednesday she was much better.
    OOC, why do you doubt it is parvovirus? In the message I received there were reports of dogs dying (2 I think it said) - but I tend not to believe whatsapp forwarded message without proof.
    I'm not on facebook so hadn't seen or heard anything about it.

From what I understand (could be wrong) if it was parvovirus they would a lot more dogs dying and much sicker if that makes sense? They would need a drip / vet care etc.. whereas most appeared to have gotten over it at home with no vet intervention (as my guy did) and on the local Facebook forums I’ve read of 10 ish dogs in similar situations.. I could be wrong though ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It’s not parvo though? So them telling people to get a parvo vaccine would be the same as telling everyone to get a chicken pox vaccine for COVID?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Could this be something to do with the massive increase in plastic bag preserved dog faeces being left un-binned & not taken home?

This isn't hearsay, It's personal experience. I take part in beach cleanups and the amount of dog scat left on the bull Island both in plastic bags and simply left there has increased exponentially over the last year, we've had to ban the kids from taking part because of the amount of it after a few nasty experiences.

There seems to be organised dumping points, over 20 different types of plastic bags full of dog scat piled up in one area that we have to clean up and they tend to burst open on occasion.

I've had dogs and love dogs, I know they're naturally inclined to nose through scat to get info, this could be the cause of Illness.

I know people on this forum are responsible, I'm not finger pointing here.

Absolutely.. could have something got to do with it .. given it appears to be all along the east coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

If the breeder is reputable most pups would get the parvo vaccine before they are 12 weeks old. Parvo is always around it's just we never see it because most pups / dogs are vaccinated. It's not a new epidemic.

First mistake taking any info read on facebook at face value. 99.99999999% ****e or lies on FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Absolutely.. could have something got to do with it .. given it appears to be all along the east coast!

I confronted someone dumping plastic bags of dog scat on the Bull Island and the excuse was some sort of protest over a lack of bins even though he was 30 metres away from a bin. There was no talking to him though, got very aggressive and accusing us of being "jakeen green tree huggers"

We cleaned up his rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I confronted someone dumping plastic bags of dog scat on the Bull Island and the excuse was some sort of protest over a lack of bins even though he was 30 metres away from a bin. There was no talking to him though, got very aggressive and accusing us of being "jakeen green tree huggers"

We cleaned up his rubbish.

CC's need to make example of these filthy vermin - this is also an issue along pretty much every country lane in rural areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't understand if you are going to the trouble of being that dirty - knowing you aren't going to bin it, why the f**k bag it?

Car99 wrote: »
    If the breeder is reputable most pups would get the parvo vaccine before they are 12 weeks old. Parvo is always around it's just we never see it because most pups / dogs are vaccinated. It's not a new epidemic.

First mistake taking any info read on facebook at face value. 99.99999999% ****e or lies on FB.

Lots of dogs at the moment are being purchased via social media, collection points car parks so not from reputable breeders (not all but lots) also a dog can infact contract parvovirus at any age even if vaccinated (and vaccinations are up to date)

But it’s not parvovirus going around it’s a nasty bug

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I don't understand if you are going to the trouble of being that dirty - knowing you aren't going to bin it, why the f**k bag it?

Exactly , bagging it and hanging it off the nearest tree is dirtier than letting it on the ground at least on the ground it will decompose eventually.
    But you just have to take a walk on any of our parks of busy walking routes to see how dirty people are. Went for a walk up the Galtees recently and coffee cups , tissues, face masks litter the walkways.
    Look at out roadside edges and they are strewn with litter also. Especially noticeable during the summer after the hedge cutting machine es have done their job.
    Alot of irish people have no pride or value in the cleanliness of their county. Dirty pigs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Lots of dogs at the moment are being purchased via social media, collection points car parks so not from reputable breeders (not all but lots) also a dog can infact contract parvovirus at any age even if vaccinated (and vaccinations are up to date)

But it’s not parvovirus going around it’s a nasty bug

Tell me more about this bug. Friends dog has had bouts of diarrhoea recently, no change in food or anything, improved a bit the last few days but they've just woken up to more diarrhoea this morning. They will be calling vet obviously but we'd like to hear more about this bug.

Advertisement