Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop / discourage herring gulls nesting on my roof...any advice?

• 19-01-2021 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Good evening,

I hope you are well.
    I love watching wildlife and birds in particular.
    Over the last x2 years, pairs of herring gulls have nested on our block of terraced houses in northside Dublin.
    I am fairly relaxed and easy going...but I have found the gulls hard work...
    They are really loud and noisy from 4 - 5am in the summer, very aggressive to children, pets and even adults, when on the nest..
    Then when the chicks hatch.. their feeding attracts lots of flocks of crows and magpies...
    Last year.. one chick fell off the roof and we think was taken by a fox..

They nest below the breast of a chimney that faces East / S East.
    Is there any way to prevent then from nesting on our roof?

Thank u,

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A mock Eagle Owl would be a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

They are gradually taking over the city. You'd almost be nostalgic for pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

MOD: <<SNIP>>

MOD: As far as I know, disturbing nesting sites is still illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

MOD: <<SNIP>>

MOD: As far as I know, disturbing nesting sites is still illegal.

Yes it is, meant more to fit deterrents now in the off season before nests are built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Morning, I would never interfere with a nest.
    But could I put something up there to block them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Arequipa wrote: »
    Morning, I would never interfere with a nest.
    But could I put something up there to block them?

Yes, you can discourage or block them from nest-building before they start nest-building. Once they start, you can't do anything.

What you can do depends on the type of roof etc - you might figure out something yourself with wire mesh etc, but you might also consider getting in a professional. See below for some inspiration and they also know what they're doing when it comes to excluding gulls humanely, if you do decide to employ someone: http://www.wildlifemanagement.ie

Well done though - now is the time to act!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thanks for the reply and advice..

as I said.. I dont want to harm the gulls.. just encourage them to nest elsewhere..preferably the cliffs in Howth!!

Advertisement