Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Would a cbr400rr be any better lol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Timmaay wrote: »
    Would a cbr400rr be any better lol?

Anything with an R is best avoided starting out, even if you do get quotes they will be high as you already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

43-year-old male
    2nd learner permit
    1-year NCB
    Yamaha Dragstar 400cc [98 reg]
    Liberty Insurance
    €235 for next year [3rd party only]

That's a very good price I would say myself.
    The bike is garaged and I live in the country.

The reason I opt for 3rd party only is I hardly use the bike.
    If I were using it as an everyday bike I would pay the extra and go full comp.

I would like to point out that last year they did quote me for a bandit 600cc but this year they say I do not meet their criteria for the very same bike.
    So I am back to using a school bike for the next lesson and test.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Breezin

The reason I opt for 3rd party only is I hardly use the bike.
    If I were using it as an everyday bike I would pay the extra and go full comp.
    Is it much more for full comp, especially for a bike of that year?
    I vaguely remember that opting for third party only on a new bike earlier this year made little difference to the premium, so I went fully comp.

Breezin wrote: »
    Is it much more for full comp, especially for a bike of that year?
    I vaguely remember that opting for third party only on a new bike earlier this year made little difference to the premium, so I went fully comp.

To go from 3rd party only to full comp the difference would be 130 euro. On account of the learner permit, I would expect, with a full licence like you say the difference would be very small

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭lalababa

I have an A Learner permit and got insurance 3 months ago on a gz250 TP only. For 250 euros. No ncb. Am newbie. For nefarious reasons I'm looking at a 500cc 55hp cruiser.
    Probably going from insurance group 2/3 to 9/10 (I think).
    What do ye think the rise in insurance might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭lalababa

Rang AXA, they wanted me to do AXA skills grade 3 , or forget it. With a nominal insurance increase.
    Very good I think.
    AXA skills 3 seems to be around 2&1/2 hours and between 100& 200 euros. Anyone know how much around Cork and can I use my own 250cc?
    Many thanks.

lalababa wrote: »
    Rang AXA, they wanted me to do AXA skills grade 3 , or forget it. With a nominal insurance increase.
    Very good I think.
    AXA skills 3 seems to be around 2&1/2 hours and between 100& 200 euros. Anyone know how much around Cork and can I use my own 250cc?
    Many thanks.

Declan O’Donovan of Two Wheel Training or Eddy O’Shea of Bikecraft. I did that course and got a grade 2 (highest level you can get). Yes you can use your own bike

Edit:

The price is €150 for 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

32 Learners Permit
    First time insuring a bike.
    Yamaha xj6

568 Fully Comp with Principal

I'm well happy with that, doesn't have driving other bikes until I pass my test.

I should probably go buy a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Got my renewal today Carol Nash. Nearly choked on the breakfast.

Bike BMW G650GS 2011 (40 years of age)

Last year paid €496 on a provisional licence (1st year riding/third party only)

Passed the test after 6 months got a rebate of €60. So my overall outlay was €436.

Renewal today..now that I've a full licence €506. (Third party only).

Needless to say I won't be taking them up...it's extortionate.

• Advertisement

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Got my renewal today Carol Nash. Nearly choked on the breakfast.

Bike BMW G650GS 2011 (40 years of age)

Last year paid €496 on a provisional licence (1st year riding/third party only)

Passed the test after 6 months got a rebate of €60. So my overall outlay was €436.

Renewal today..now that I've a full licence €506. (Third party only).

Needless to say I won't be taking them up...it's extortionate.

Principal and CN are sworn enemies, that price will fall trust me. I'm only paying €365 FC on an SV650.

Try Principal,Liberty and AXA Direct then go back to CN and tell them what the cheapest quote you got was, they just hope that people will pay the renewal price no quibbles, and some people do.

Principal and CN are sworn enemies, that price will fall trust me. I'm only paying €365 FC on an SV650.

Try Principal,Liberty and AXA Direct then go back to CN and tell them what the cheapest quote you got was, they just hope that people will pay the renewal price no quibbles, and some people do.

just rang liberty insurance...

They wouldn't quote me...reason being. I have a bike licence less than 3 years. Unbelievable..40 year old man with a full licence (car & bike) and I'm being refused insurance.

AkA direct also wouldn't quote me..unless I had 2 years no claims or a grade 2 assessment with them.

Extortion. Pure and simple. People should take a stand against this once and for all...boycott the lot of them.

They wouldn't quote me...reason being. I have a bike licence less than 3 years. Unbelievable..40 year old man with a full licence (car & bike) and I'm being refused insurance.

AkA direct also wouldn't quote me..unless I had 2 years no claims or a grade 2 assessment with them.

Extortion. Pure and simple. People should take a stand against this once and for all...boycott the lot of them.

What annoys me most about this is..the quotes I currently have through a broker are polices under AXA. But yet aka won't quote me direct.

I had to do the AXA rider assessment, grade 4 is the lowest grade 2 is the highest, i'm less than a year on a full bike licence myself despite having all the full licences, they still insisted on me doing it if i wanted to upgrade or wait until i have 2 years ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That literally makes no sense: my young lad (16) is on a Learner Permit, and got insured with them on foot of his IBT. He did the Level 4 anyway as he was capable of it.

In fact, Liberty are The Place to go to for 1st timers. My S.O. went with them for the same reason. Go back and challenge it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,372 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nah f them,

Phoned CN they gave me double the quote of principal. despite being seemingly the same underwriter (axa)

Its a piss take. I told them to jump tbh. If they cant give me a decent quote up front rather than have me haggle them down. And this wasnt 50 quid this was double the quote...

Chancers

listermint wrote: »
    Nah f them,

Phoned CN they gave me double the quote of principal. despite being seemingly the same underwriter (axa)

Its a piss take. I told them to jump tbh. If they cant give me a decent quote up front rather than have me haggle them down. And this wasnt 50 quid this was double the quote...

Chancers

I had this discussion with AXA driect earlier in the year when i left principal, they said while they share the same company name they operate separately of each other which i odd. I think with recently passed laws they must give the renewal quote and what the competition is likely to quote or something similar, so interesting times ahead. The quotes are figures just pulled out of the sky, it's price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

They have to give you their price, what other cover options you have available to you, and the price you paid the year before.
    I had this discussion with AXA driect earlier in the year when i left principal, they said while they share the same company name they operate separately of each other which i odd.
    AXA Direct being the important part there. The other companies work through AXA Broker, and all AXA Broker does is underwrite their policies, AXA Broker has no influence over their prices.

I for one am happy that we have more than one provider on the market, if you want to go back just having 1 or 2 companies then more fool you.
    what the competition is likely to quote
    lmfao :D Thanks, I needed that.

I have noticed a few other posts [including myself] where people are having issues with insurance. I am only thinking here but might the insurance industry be working against anyone doing direct access to the A license? I have found no end of problems this year trying to get cover for a 600cc bandit. I am thinking that if I had started of doing an A2 test and spending a year or 2 on a smallish bike I would be better able to get cover. I don't intend on encouraging a whistleblowing campaign but I do suspect the industry don't like direct access to the A licence.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have noticed a few other posts [including myself] where people are having issues with insurance. I am only thinking here but might the insurance industry be working against anyone doing direct access to the A license? I have found no end of problems this year trying to get cover for a 600cc bandit. I am thinking that if I had started of doing an A2 test and spending a year or 2 on a smallish bike I would be better able to get cover. I don't intend on encouraging a whistleblowing campaign but I do suspect the industry don't like direct access to the A licence.
    I wouldn't think it's specific to people doing direct access to the A license. There's a distinct lack of competition in the Irish market, the market itself is very small and also is not very lucrative, and we have very high claims and compensation rates. I've had my license for nearly 20 years, and have some insurers refuse to quote me (specific conditions), and ended up paying a 40% hike on the previous year with no justification (I claimed once - 19 years ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

1 year learners,
    1 year ncb,
    99 cbr 600 f4 3rd party - €460odd with liberty renewal, principal beat it by less than €1 but their excess is double so not a hope of that.
    CN didn't come close wasn't bothered listening to axa give me a phone number for a quote.
    Apparently liberties new criteria doesn't apply to existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

ring principal, take their quote back to cn and go back forth 2/3 times and youll keep getting lower. Id even be asking the agent u speak to is that the bets price. Benefits offered by both are v. similar
    I did the last 2 years and saved close on €100 last year, about €20 this year.
    I wouldnt expect €100 every yr to be fair though

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mamax

I was hopping off CN, MCE and principal for the last few years, I never renewed with any of them, for the last 3 years in a row I've kept getting cheaper insurance every year because I refuse to play their silly game where they pull a price outta their holes.

2017 - €206 fireblade and tdm850
    2018 - €200 fireblade and tdm850
    2019 - €193 tdm850 only

All included riding other bikes not owned by myself and commuting

My advice is take a few hours out to phone them all and point blank refuse to pay what they ask if it's too high, don't be afraid to tell them that either !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Liberty's online system wont quote me on anything over 125cc with a learner permit.
    31 years old.
    Even then its ridiculous, 760 euro for TPFT on a 00' Suzuki GN 125.

It came down a few quid when I added my mother on it who's had a full A licence since before I was born

somefeen wrote: »
    Liberty's online system wont quote me on anything over 125cc with a learner permit.
    31 years old.

It came down a few quid when I added my mother on it who's had a full A licence since before I was born

Liberty are an odd lot, as 2 years ago they were offering me quotes online no bother but this year not a ionta. They have changed their criteria to a point where they clearly do not want learners on the books. I expect the rest will follow suit, they want everyone starting at the bottom [M A1 A2 A ]and working their way up. Thats just my opinion.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fr.jack09

somefeen wrote: »
    31 years old.

They gave me a ridiculous quote and I have the car insured with them already. Went with principal, they were 300 quid cheaper. On a learner permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dreamweaver88

Was quoted 792 for a 2001 Honda hornet 250cc by liberty

31 first provisional

Looking to see if I can get a quote for z300 or z400 liberty online won't quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I'm sick of the insurance companies in this country. Got my renewal - 980 quid, 300 up on last year (on the same bikes) and double what it was in 2017.

Revalued the 1290 down to 14k and I managed the awesome price of 890.
    Rang Axa and mentioned that both had exhausts and they refused to quote me saying they won't insure any bike that has any part modified from standard.

They are a bunch of horrible fooks

batman_oh wrote: »
    I'm sick of the insurance companies in this country. Got my renewal - 980 quid, 300 up on last year (on the same bikes) and double what it was in 2017.

Revalued the 1290 down to 14k and I managed the awesome price of 890.
    Rang Axa and mentioned that both had exhausts and they refused to quote me saying they won't insure any bike that has any part modified from standard.

They are a bunch of horrible fooks
    Legalised crooks

• Advertisement

Was quoted 792 for a 2001 Honda hornet 250cc by liberty

31 first provisional

Looking to see if I can get a quote for z300 or z400 liberty online won't quote

Unfortunately getting insurance on a learner permit these days is very hard. Especially if the bike is over 400cc. A few years ago Liberty would quote no problems, but not anymore. I dont know how they expect learners to learn if they cant insure their bikes. It seems to me [I am a learner myself] we are expected to keep hiring school bikes until we pass the test. And then start on a honda 50 for a few years or something like that.
    PS I was turned down by Liberty, AXA and C Nash for a 600cc bandit. They all said criteria bla bla bla

Dan.

Advertisement