Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

dealing with depressed dog and possibly adding another dog

Options
  • 20-01-2021 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Our old girl died on the 12th, 15 year old terrier cross. Our Retriever is 7 and is barely eating since, not excited about walks or treats etc. He is pining and quiet distant. He ate a 2 bowls of nuts at my neighbours house on Sunday and had a bit of life in him playing with his dog, but he also said he wasn't himself.

Any advise? We got him a 10 weeks so our old dog was a big part of his life.

Next question. I retired two years ago and am at home a lot even pre-Covid. I really like German Shepherds since I got to know them. At 60 is it a bad idea to get one? My neighbour has one who is exceptionally well trained and very easy to walk. I mind him at times for up to 2 weeks if his owners are away and he's good with our grandchildren who adore him. He doesn't pull on the lead and ignores dogs barking at us. He's great friends with my male Retriever.

My neighbour is putting me off getting a rescue at the moment. He said it could work out great or end badly. His main concerns are the lack of training and type of upbringing they had. Since my Retriever normally eats everything around him and Shepherds are slow eaters, the Shepherd might not accept him eating from his bowl. They mightn't like kids or know how to act around them and some dislike other dogs, he also said that will a dog can be ok with other dogs in the shelter, they will begin to change over a couple of months at home. Also at the current time I probably wouldn't be able to introduce my dog to one at the shelter with Covid (I not saying I'd get one right now but if or when thing calm down in Feb).

I'm trying to figure out if the potentially bad out weighs the good. I use dog insurance and know the costs involved in feeding them and grooming etc. I don't particularly want a different breed but my wife likes both GSD and Poodles so I would be open to a Poodle but don't really know anything about them.

As for walks, there is a small forest beside us owned by myself, my neighbour with the GSD and another neighbour, so its quiet and not a public place. We all let of dogs off lead in there but I know muzzles are required in public and we are near enough a nice lake and park with plenty walk ways. Also our house is secure with walls and gates.

I suppose my main question is whether to rescue or get a pup? Am I too old for a strong dog, as in 10 years I mightn't be as healthy or even alive? Should I go with a female since my dog and neighbours dog are male?

Sorry for the long winded post. They are a breed I said I would buy when our dog passed but now since the time has come, I have silly what if scenarios in my head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

padraig737 wrote: »
    Our old girl died on the 12th, 15 year old terrier cross. Our Retriever is 7 and is barely eating since, not excited about walks or treats etc. He is pining and quiet distant. He ate a 2 bowls of nuts at my neighbours house on Sunday and had a bit of life in him playing with his dog, but he also said he wasn't himself.

Any advise? We got him a 10 weeks so our old dog was a big part of his life.

Next question. I retired two years ago and am at home a lot even pre-Covid. I really like German Shepherds since I got to know them. At 60 is it a bad idea to get one? My neighbour has one who is exceptionally well trained and very easy to walk. I mind him at times for up to 2 weeks if his owners are away and he's good with our grandchildren who adore him. He doesn't pull on the lead and ignores dogs barking at us. He's great friends with my male Retriever.

My neighbour is putting me off getting a rescue at the moment. He said it could work out great or end badly. His main concerns are the lack of training and type of upbringing they had. Since my Retriever normally eats everything around him and Shepherds are slow eaters, the Shepherd might not accept him eating from his bowl. They mightn't like kids or know how to act around them and some dislike other dogs, he also said that will a dog can be ok with other dogs in the shelter, they will begin to change over a couple of months at home. Also at the current time I probably wouldn't be able to introduce my dog to one at the shelter with Covid (I not saying I'd get one right now but if or when thing calm down in Feb).

I'm trying to figure out if the potentially bad out weighs the good. I use dog insurance and know the costs involved in feeding them and grooming etc. I don't particularly want a different breed but my wife likes both GSD and Poodles so I would be open to a Poodle but don't really know anything about them.

As for walks, there is a small forest beside us owned by myself, my neighbour with the GSD and another neighbour, so its quiet and not a public place. We all let of dogs off lead in there but I know muzzles are required in public and we are near enough a nice lake and park with plenty walk ways. Also our house is secure with walls and gates.

I suppose my main question is whether to rescue or get a pup? Am I too old for a strong dog, as in 10 years I mightn't be as healthy or even alive? Should I go with a female since my dog and neighbours dog are male?

Sorry for the long winded post. They are a breed I said I would buy when our dog passed but now since the time has come, I have silly what if scenarios in my head.

To be honest your neighbour sounds like the usual scaremongering you off a rescue. Now I’m not saying definitely rescue but you should explore all your options.

We rescused our springer a year ago and it turned out to be the best thing we ever did, now he had some issues as in he was terrified of everything, but no aggression whatsoever and one year on, with some TLC, space and love he’s a brilliant dog and has come on amazingly. That’s my experience.. but lots of people have different experiences. No all rescues have issues with kids or are aggressive ..

If you do decide to go down the rescue route make sure you go to a reputable rescue.. if you give your county I can pm you some decent rescues.

You can call them and explain your situation and speak with them ? You are under no obligation to go down that route but if you speak to them you’ll get a feeling if it’s for you or not.

Otherwise if you go down the route of purchasing a GS puppy please be very careful. The breed has been poorly breed, poor hips etc - so research a breeder extensively and get all the necessary genetic health test scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 padraig737

I'm in Clare but beside Limerick border. I'm not sure if I can name a rescue but there is one in Limerick with a couple that interest me, one called Molly in particular. I think I have most around me liked on FB as well a GS rescue page which shows some from all around the country.

I probably painted my neighbour in a bad way, he just gave worse case scenarios as he said some rescues will tell you a dog is a one dog only house or not used to kids. He said more than likely they'd be fine. He was mainly saying it can take a rescue a few months for its real personality to come out.

I more than likely will rescue as the two breeder I got names for have high demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I have a rescue GSD with a sketchy past. Was kept at the shelter for 6 months before the public were allowed to view her. Everything was great for two months until she got attacked by a Bichon, of all dogs. She didn't react that day but started to dart towards any small white dogs after that. It was easy to read their body language and is as simple as stopping your walk and calling back to your feet and pet her when she she's a small white dog and she relaxes. No issues anymore, her body language doesn't change with small white dogs anymore and she just ignores them if they bark, no darting or anything and no need to stop the walk to pet either. She is super with kids, even the ones who appear out of nowhere and sprint up to her.

Next up, long hair or standard. They both shed but a long hair is insane at shedding. They walk past and there is just hair constantly falling and you will need to vacuum and sweep at least once a day and they hold a lot of mud and water in bad weather.

If your buying one, please avoid them sloped back frog postured freaks. Absolute disgrace to the breed.

My brother has 3 GSD. One bought and two rescued. The bought one seems a fair bit more intelligent but the two adopted ones seem to be so greatful for everything. Every treat and walk is pure excitement, but they are friendly spacers and only bark if the bought one barks. He has the protect the house attitude where the other two would probably be a robbers best friend.

I will definitely be going to the rescue for my next one.

A female may be a better option since you mind your neighbours one at times. The female will be boss without any fights with either dog.

If you get a puppy female, bear in mind their first period is brutal. Some owners have them in nappies and you can't neuter them until they are 18 24 months AFAIK.

As for your Retriever, he will hopefully pick up soon. Maybe some fish mixed with his food etc. Its a big deal for him but he will be OK in another couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 padraig737

I'll be ok with the shedding, our Retriever is bad and we had a Husky years ago.

I love the look of long hairs but I mainly want the personality of one, not pushed about protection but would be an advantage if it barked when our gate is opened but not looking for a guard dog.

How easy was it to train on a lead or does yours pull Micah? When your dog saw Bichons was she hard to hold and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Super quick to train. Mine isn't food obsessed nor are most I know. I thought by bringing treats or bacon on walks I could get her attention faster but she's not interested in food while walking. If she pulls call her name, if she doesn't stop pulling, you stop walking until she returns to your feet, then start walking and praise her when's she's good. You need patience at the start but she rarely ever pull now and will instantly come back to my feet if I call her once. They thrive on praise and want to be good the whole time. I'd say it took 3 weeks off walks to have her perfect. She didn't know what a lead was when I got her and didn't realise cars were dangerous. So 3weeks training for a 5 year dog is good. Just check their body language, if they tense up for any reason like seeing a cat or a large dog gets aggressive with her, just call her back and tell her she's good and that's it, they are forgotten about.

A GSD is confident, they don't need to show a terrier they are strong. So while a load of dogs are barking and fighting at the park she's just sniffing the ground ignoring the world.

Mine doesn't bark at cars coming into the driveway. She will get up fast and grunt so you'll know someone arrived but she just stand at the corner of the house checking who it is. If it's a stranger she'll come in to get your attention.

Yes 36kg with a low centre of gravity pulls hard. A harness will help you but it needs immediate addressing. They need to be trained for both your and the dogs benefit. They're rep is bad enough as it is, make sure yours is the best example of the breed. I use a raincoat on her these days so it's just the collar the lead is attached to but she won't pull regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sorry about your dog OP :( I lost my younger retriever a year ago and my older boy was very quiet and out of sorts for a good while after. He the had ongoing tummy issues for months after which the vets thought was down to stress/pining :( I’m on a waiting list now for pup. I’m very picky about where I get a pup from because I have very specific requirements for a pup that’s the best fit for our family.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

the best replacement for the retriever is a similar dog to the dog he lost a terrier, a rescue is always good. A GSD is a lot of dog to own my mother is elderly and owns all 50 kg of a GSD she loves him but he is a lot of dog for her and even though you are 10 years younger then mum keep this in mind. Also your neighbours dog is well trained this took much time & effort, your retriever is the one you need to give time to he is grieving and needs another small friend, perhaps foster a dog from a rescue until you get one that works they are always looking for foster homes for their dogs. You will also gaet much satisfaction from fostering.

Advertisement