Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fulltime student and part-time student car insurance

• 07-01-2021 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

just curious as to the legality of this: AXA lets you get a handy discount on your car insurance if you're a student.

But when you put "Full-time student" as your main occupation you can also put 3rd level Student as "part time occupation" on top of that, yielding a €400 euro saving.

Since it lets you do this, is this a money-saving loophole or downright illegal?
    Paying €2.9k versus €3.3k for first time insurance makes it sound tempting.

Unrelated, but they will straight up reject you insurance if you tell them you're a bicycle courier, even as part-time with the Full-time Student as the main occupation.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Hi all,

just curious as to the legality of this: AXA lets you get a handy discount on your car insurance if you're a student.

But when you put "Full-time student" as your main occupation you can also put 3rd level Student as "part time occupation" on top of that, yielding a €400 euro saving.

Since it lets you do this, is this a money-saving loophole or downright illegal?
    Paying €2.9k versus €3.3k for first time insurance makes it sound tempting.

Unrelated, but they will straight up reject you insurance if you tell them you're a bicycle courier, even as part-time with the Full-time Student as the main occupation.

What do you guys think?

With such a niche scenario I don't think you're going to get anything other than pure speculation here.

You could always call AXA directly and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I doubt there is anything illegal going on.
    If you can put those selections down, and justify them to Axa, then I think it's probably ok.
    As suggested, ring them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Axa student 1st scheme is for 3rd level students. It’s 20% cheaper that standard motor 1st scheme sold, but subject to proof of active student in set ‘list’ of colleges/ Univ on Island of Ireland.
    No proof then Zero discount thus you’ll either pay the balance or hopefully cancel within the cooling off period of 14-days from inception of policy for full refund of policy and not have a company cancellation case against you.
    Ex-staff thus not just waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oliverfdavies

Thanks for replying guys, only saw the notification now.
    cplwhisper wrote: »
    Axa student 1st scheme is for 3rd level students. It’s 20% cheaper that standard motor 1st scheme sold, but subject to proof of active student in set ‘list’ of colleges/ Univ on Island of Ireland.
    No proof then Zero discount thus you’ll either pay the balance or hopefully cancel within the cooling off period of 14-days from inception of policy for full refund of policy and not have a company cancellation case against you.
    Ex-staff thus not just waffle.

Yes, I'm a 3rd level student, but will the proof of me being a student be enough to say I'm both a full-time and part-time student at the same time? And therefore get €400 cheaper insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes, I'm a 3rd level student, but will the proof of me being a student be enough to say I'm both a full-time and part-time student at the same time? And therefore get €400 cheaper insurance?

It's like anything you fill in for a quote. I can give an occupation that makes my quote lower. That's all well and good until you make a claim and then they begin to question if your details are correct, and refuse a claim. You'd have to show that your both a full-time student in something and then part-time in something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

PM me please as need to clarify more info.
    I’m not current staff so not trying to sell you anything.
    Help is just that - help is free

Advertisement