Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you ever had depression?

1222324252628»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

That's really good for you. I'm going to see a counsellor in my local jigsaw, it's fantastic to just be able to talk out things that have been bothering me for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    That's really good for you. I'm going to see a counsellor in my local jigsaw, it's fantastic to just be able to talk out things that have been bothering me for a while.

Had to google Jigsaw. Not in Cork, explains why I've never heard of it.

Yeah, should help me sort some stuff out. The cost is a niggle in the back of my mind, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Counselling is always a great help. Asked have previous ones been a help I said depends on the person. But it's great just being able to sit there talk it all out and realise what your keeping inside. Even for their feedback to say xyz are coming up let's deal with them. Nothing is a quick fix but seeking help is always a great first leap. Even if it's just to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

CTYIgirl wrote: »

I went to my local Jigsaw too and I have to say that talking really does help. I even got a letter there last week because they hadn't had any contact from me in a while and wanted to make sure everything was going better in my life which was nice. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,828 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CTYIgirl, bravo for posting that, and feck anyone who may be offended by it. Anyone offended by truth is an idiot.

I marched today hoping to make Ireland a better place, but sadly I'm not holding my breath.

Stay strong.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Jhcx wrote: »
    Counselling is always a great help. Asked have previous ones been a help I said depends on the person. But it's great just being able to sit there talk it all out and realise what your keeping inside. Even for their feedback to say xyz are coming up let's deal with them. Nothing is a quick fix but seeking help is always a great first leap. Even if it's just to talk.

I was telling my sister about it today, about going to a counselor. She went to the same school as me so did the same Drugs Awareness class. She told me that she went for counseling a couple of years back when doing her Masters degree which I didn't know about. She only went for about 5 sessions, that she didn't need anymore. That it doesn't have to be a long term thing. There was just stuff that she needed sorting out in her head, which she managed to do. Found all this very encouraging.

CTYIgirl, kudos to you for posting that. I thought I was brave emailing the counselor to make inquiries, but that was nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

The last week has been a hard one. Welcome back darkness; it's been awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I tend to slip in and out of being in a really bad place every now and again. I'll be fine for months and then out of nowhere boom. Then it tends to fade, and slowly reappears for no reason at some point down the line. I don't fully understand it tbh, is it depression I don't even know? I only admitted it to myself a few weeks ago about a week deep into a serious binge.

Oddly it doesn't bother me too much, I tend to dip, go into a really dark place but I know it will fade and when it does I'm back on top of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I'd just like to add lads that lot may not be depression. But anxiety levels may be extremely high. Im not a doctor and im not giving medical advice but because ive only just got the information based on myself i'll pass it along. Anxiety can show and act like signs of depression, where moods and emotions go up and down and specially when they go down they go so low the looks and feels like depression and anxiety levels rise anything can cause high anxiety from stress, lack of sleep , no routine, relationship problems so on. trying to keep a good lifestyle and routine will help keep anxiety down. Some may be suffering from depression, some may just have high levels of anxiety at the moment. dont try to self diagnose yourself. go to your doctor, explain your emotions, feelings, your routine they should either tell you whats up, and course of action to take to rectify the problem. may need nothing or may just need a good sleep.

Had my first counselling session today. Have been left with some sort of confused feeling, it's not a bad one.. just odd. But the woman was so lovely, exactly how I remembered her. Fantastic person to talk to. I'm going to go see her again in 2 weeks.

All I can really say for now, is that if you think you want to talk to someone DO IT!

She said at the end that you'll probably be tired after talking about so much personal stuff. Fúck me I'm tired alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

So for a long time, I was pretty sure I had some sort of depression...I was never really sure as it didn't really feel exactly like depression but I always knethere was something there not quite right.

So I recently found out I don't have depression...which is great and all, but instead I find out that I in fact have borderline personality disorder...woo.

Also I've been working 6 nights in a row and still have one more to go. I'm exhausted. Too much to deal with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I kinda hate my brain at times. Every time I'm in a relationship, even when it's going amazingly, my depression raises itself. Himself has noticed that I'm stuck in my brain at times, and is great, but I'm really fed up of it hijacking stuff on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

All the time especially since one terrible year - 2012!!! Whenever I think of it, I always cry :(. It was the year of my nanny's death - the only person who really understood me, knew how to make me have fun in things I hate and nobody else can do what amazing power she had with me. I even write a lot of songs and poems about her, including: 'Time Goes By', 'Nan How Can You Mend A Broken Heart' and my poem 'Rain Over Me'.

'Rain Over Me' clearly visualizes my depression

Happiness is a treasure, to me these days
    Every day passing by, is worthless since that August
    Life is callous, like a stormy day
    Suicidal thoughts were blank, when it was all flawless

Many promises and my heart, have been shattered
    Malicious mankind, in such a big world
    Been through disasters, like walking under a ladder
    But this time, it's way much worse

Tears are words, the heart can't say
    I get lost, inside my mind
    But sometimes, you gotta pretend everything is okay
    Even though there is no good in goodbye

Five things I hate! 02:45, CANCER, SUNDAY, AUGUST & 26TH

^ Man ever since then, I have been this poor little depressed chap who can't seem to get happy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Dipping into a dead forum cause maybe it'll be more helpful than screaming into the void.

I'm really not doing good. At all.

I used to think I was occasionally depressed because I'd end up in lows sporadically. I'd always be able to assign it to something. Breakups, bereavements, low work satisfaction etc. I'd come out of the hole after a few weeks and convince myself I was fine. I don't think I ever have been though. I'd come out of the hole but I don't think I've ever been happy..

I've rewritten this so many times trying to put it into words and the best I can come up with is, life is supposed to be peaks and valleys but I feel like mine is just valleys and plateaus.

I haven't used drugs in over a year.
    I got out of the service industry and have a nice steady job in the Civil Service.
    I got a car.
    I've been taking part in team sports.
    I've taken up photography.
    I've taken up hiking.
    I finally bought a lot of the gear for performing music live like I always said I would without following through on.
    I'm sleeping right.
    I'm eating right.

I'm conquering a lot of the issues that I used to blame my depression on. Procrastination, poor sleeping, drugs, not excersising,low job prospects etc etc.

I've overcome them and yet here I am feeling lower than I have in 18 months.

full disclosure, my gf of a year broke up with me last month yet I can say without fooling myself that I am actually kind of relieved. While the breakup was my fault in a lot of ways she had her share of mental health issues and is kind of mean and immature. She gaslighted me in our last few rows over things I never said. I think I got with her mostly out of fear of being alone when I moved home to Tipp.

I've kicked the excersise into overdrived to keep my mind of things.

I went for a four hour hike in the comeragh mountains on sunday and felt good for about an hour after I came home. Since then I've just been so angry all the time.
    I've cried three times. Pitiful 20 seconds of sobbing because as much as I want to I can't seem to let myself ball it all out. It just sits there

I feel like I wasted my 20's. How I slaved away in ****ty jobs being to afraid to take the leap and go back to college. How I never went travelling.

I was supposed to be going to Chicago at the start of 2019. The parents of a family friend were going to sort me a job and put me up till I found a place. I decided to stay over the relationship though. The truth is if I'd gone I probably would be just as miserable over there though. I'd likely fall into the same habits and frame of mind wherever I go.

The Civil service allows career breaks in three year blocks so The option of travel or college are always there for me but I just know that I'll either keep putting it on the long finger or do it and fall into the same old **** while doing so.

I think I need therapy but I'm terrified to go.

I wish I could cry.

the thing about living inside your head is that your landlord ****ing hates you.

Advertisement