Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAMSAT 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

medgirl18 wrote: »

The RCSI open day was brilliant and I came out of there buzzing to start medicine! It was so much better than I expected. The simulation rooms are fantastic - we got to deliver a 'baby' and practice intubation. We also visited the anatomy dissection room, which was unexpectedly very moving. We had small group Q&As with loads of the current students and it was just very informal and personal. There was also a mini case where a patient came in and we got to ask him questions. A few people I spoke to on the day had decided to move RCSI to their number 1 choice just from the impression they got on the day.

I'm still trying to decide between UCC and RCSI myself. I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself without even seeing my gamsat score though! If I've a chance of getting an offer I'm going to visit the UCC campus this month for a look around the medical school.

If you're lucky enough to be deciding between UCC and RCSI, I'd think very carefully before committing to a move to Dublin unless you have access to a reliable and affordable place to stay. I live in Dublin, but if I didn't, there's no way I'd come here. Over the last year, I've had several friends and relatives sleep on my couch while they tried to find a place to live, or who were evicted by landlords and couldn't find elsewhere, even within the legal moving window. They've all ended up outside Dublin, commuting everyday due to lack of options and affordability. It's only going to get worse in the short term too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 medgirl18

If you're lucky enough to be deciding between UCC and RCSI, I'd think very carefully before committing to a move to Dublin unless you have access to a reliable and affordable place to stay. I live in Dublin, but if I didn't, there's no way I'd come here. Over the last year, I've had several friends and relatives sleep on my couch while they tried to find a place to live, or who were evicted by landlords and couldn't find elsewhere, even within the legal moving window. They've all ended up outside Dublin, commuting everyday due to lack of options and affordability. It's only going to get worse in the short term too.

Thanks for the advice, you're dead right. That's the main reason why I'm looking at Cork to be honest! I would love to move to Dublin but the lack of housing definitely worries me. RCSI have 8-5 days every day so commuting from outside Dublin at those times could definitely take an hour or more. I almost wish I didn't go to the RCSI open day, haha! I must look into UL more too.

Hopefully we'll all know what's going on in the morning... surely they can't keep us waiting until next week?!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Hopefully not!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

I bet you all it'll be out in 2 hours time

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

It'll be out by 4 or 5AM now today, thats when it came out in September, I think

• Advertisement

It'll be out by 4 or 5AM now today, thats when it came out in September, I think
    These are obviously all predictions, although I got my March 2017 results  at 2.20am
    And It depends on where you live, since gamsat is taken globally and we all get it at the same time, so Australians actually get theirs early in the afternoon compared to our timezone, there's is default since it's based in Australia.

oh SHHHIIITT I WAS RIGHT, I WISH I WASN'T

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Not surprised applications are down 10%. More and more people are catching on that medicine in this country is a financial, social, mental and physical massacre.

SO I got 56/65/55 avg.58 !
    Decent but too tight to last year's cut off for all except Limerick. Hoping the trend changes this year, but would still be Excited to get into Limerick! woooo!

Not surprised applications are down 10%. More and more people are catching on that medicine in this country is a financial, social, mental and physical massacre.
    True true, if you stay in ireland, ill finish med-school in ireland and work abroad :/ sad trend but better experience abroad.

• Advertisement

Got 56 this time around, did worse in every section but did 1 point better in S3.. I'm just grateful I got 59 in my last trip tbh but just a little irritated since I spent so much money on courses and course material this time around

Decent but too tight to last year's cut off for all except Limerick. Hoping the trend changes this year, but would still be Excited to get into Limerick! woooo!

Congrats! Its a great feeling isnt it, I'm thinking the points will either drop or stay the same this time around seeing as there's a 10% drop in applicants AND the March exam was completely different

Got 56 this time around, did worse in every section but did 1 point better in S3.. I'm just grateful I got 59 in my last trip tbh but just a little irritated since I spent so much money on courses and course material this time around
    You got a 59! you're most likely safe for a dublin school but you're certified a place regardless :)
    I personally shun the use of all these $$$ course materials, the only money I spent on gamsat was the ticket and the pencil I used in the exam ! yet I bagged a decent score too

Congrats! Its a great feeling isnt it, I'm thinking the points will either drop or stay the same this time around seeing as there's a 10% drop in applicants AND the March exam was completely different
    Yesss I only hope these stats are in our favour during this cycle ! now we have to wait till August......

You got a 59! you're most likely safe for a dublin school but you're certified a place regardless :)
    I personally shun the use of all these $$$ course materials, the only money I spent on gamsat was the ticket and the pencil I used in the exam ! yet I bagged a decent score too

I fully agree with you, I think all you need is the course syllabus in hand and a good revision book and you're good to go. I spent 200+ on the Griffiths essay course this time around and ended up doing worse in S2 so goes to show hahah

I personally shun the use of all these $$ course materials, the only money I spent on gamsat was the ticket and the pencil I used in the exam ! yet I bagged a decent score too

I fully agree with you, I think all you need is the course syllabus in hand and a good revision book and you're good to go. I spent 200+ on the Griffiths essay course this time around and ended up doing worse in S2 so goes to show hahah
    What do you think you did differently to your last year's essay?
    Because I haven't revised for the essay section (personally hate writing essays) and I kept the structure to my essays very simple, concise and straight to the point, ive gotten 60+ both times. Spending that much on the courses would hurt my soul

What do you think you did differently to your last year's essay?
    Because I haven't revised for the essay section (personally hate writing essays) and I kept the structure to my essays very simple, concise and straight to the point, ive gotten 60+ both times. Spending that much on the courses would hurt my soul

I got 60+ the last time as well, I think the course I did now was so so simple maybe taught me to be a little too concise and it didn't really train me for the topics that came up this year (although thats my fault, such general discussion topics) but I think I just bombed for the most part, sure look haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Specsy

Jumped from a 54 last year to a 62 this year! Funny how my section 3 only improved by 3 and it's the area I prepared for. Section 1 and 2 up by at least 10 each with no preparation

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

So I did worse than the September sitting, dropping 10 points in the Science section despite no preparation in that area for September (54) vs now using prep course books and getting 44. Overall score of 49 this time with a high of 53 from my last sitting. Could try and be positive that I'd get Limerick by the skin of my teeth, possibly in a round 1 offer if points do in fact drop, but I'm not sure if that's over hopeful or delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 medgirl18

Big congratulations to those that are happy and to those that aren't, I feel you :(

I got 58/59/50 giving me an average of 54. I'm disappointed but I can't say I put in the effort either so I guess I deserve it. I'm lucky there's still the slightest bit of hope and it solves my RCSI vs UCC dilemma obviously... LOL.

Anyway I'll just have to hope for UL! I know a current first year there with a score of 53, he got offered a place just before the semester started in round 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Do cut off scores ever change much?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

Do cut off scores ever change much?

You can see cutoff score for the last few years here : http://www.gamsatpreparationcoursesireland.ie/gamsat-ireland-irishmedicalschools.php

Well done to everyone getting results today! It’s a brutal process both the exam and waiting for results, so I think we should all be proud 😊 Currently sitting on 55 after my first attempt... would love to get Limerick but like everyone else from 53-56 just nervous it won’t be enough this year

I got 59!!!!!!!
    My section 3 improved a lot... but my essay mark fell by 6 with the feckers. I wonder if the 59 is enough to keep me in Dublin???

To those of you who didn't get there, keep the faith and go again. I was in your shoes in September and it's the hardest feeling in the world to think you have to go through that again. But it's possible. I wonder if the colleges can give any insight or if we really have to wait til August to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

I got 59!!!!!!!
    My section 3 improved a lot... but my essay mark fell by 6 with the feckers. I wonder if the 59 is enough to keep me in Dublin???

To those of you who didn't get there, keep the faith and go again. I was in your shoes in September and it's the hardest feeling in the world to think you have to go through that again. But it's possible. I wonder if the colleges can give any insight or if we really have to wait til August to find out?

Congratulations that’s terrific news ilovesmecounty 😊 going by past scores you should get Dublin but I know the feeling of doubt being around the points for previous years, would you consider ringing the universities? I’m thinking of giving the GEM dept in UL a ring to ask about semester start dates and see if they can give any insight... i’m currently in a job where I need to give 4 weeks notice so i’m a bit apprehensive about handing in my notice on a score of 55

Wow you're a real ray of sunshine Brendan. Could you not, even for today, let people enjoy their result? Will you be back on CAO day to remind us of our vow of poverty? We know the payscales, we know what the job entails. Hell, some of us may just be planning to qualify here in our significantly cheaper education system and then hightail it out. Some of us might even be dumb enough to think we'll stay and work. If it's causing you that much misery, get out altogether or go into research. You'll feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Anyone know if the curve releasesd is for Ireland only or does it include Australia? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Congrats everyone!

If it's true that applications are down by 10% then surely this will be reflected by a drop in cut off scores. I'd imagine they might drop a couple of points and go down to what they were in previous years... i.e. Limerick 53, UCC 56 and Dublin colleges 57-59. It's hard to say though, I've no idea how many people apply each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

e1994 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the curve releasesd is for Ireland only or does it include Australia? :)

It's for all territories. What does the curve look like this time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bartman26

55 vs 58 last year section 3 was a real let down but came as no surprise :-) Was really hoping to get Dublin as I'm no spring chicken and that's where family etc are but better psyche up for UL because will likely be headed there. If you're on 53 keep the faith who knows what points will do and late offers etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

53 ~ 25th percentile
    55 ~ 35th percentile
    59 ~ 57th percentile
    61 ~ 67th percentile
    63 ~ 77th percentile
    65 ~ 85th percentile

Just some rough numbers to give you an idea!

Advertisement