Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy krugerrands/Silver

• 30-11-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi can anybody advise of a reputable dealer of krugerrands or silver coins in dublin. Or else gold/ silver bullion.
    I beleieve there was a place on fitzwilliam square in dublin but i cant get hold of anyone there.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

gan23 wrote: »
    Hi can anybody advise of a reputable dealer of krugerrands or silver coins in dublin. Or else gold/ silver bullion.
    I beleieve there was a place on fitzwilliam square in dublin but i cant get hold of anyone there.

Thanks

google goldcore and ask for daniel stokes when you ring the number

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Don't forget that if you are taking PHYSICAL delivery of the silver, then you must pay VAT on your purchase.

Have a look at www.bullionvault.com

When they hold the metal in the vault, there si no VAT payable. Also, some people, deemed paranoid by some, feel that if you are to hold precious metals, they should be held outside your normal country of residence, lest your government confiscate if they run into fiscal problems (quite unlike Ireland!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

gan23 wrote: »

Thanks
    Fly to Germany as they're vat is way less. 7% I believe.I wouldn't touch paper silver as it's nothing more than fiat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Am I understanding you correctly, your saying, silver backed paper is a fiat currency?????

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LuckyG

• Advertisement

Coinsinvestdirect DO charge VAT on silver. Their price for 1kg silver inc VAT is €894 and ex VAT is €751.

Bullionvault price for 1KG is €700

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

digme wrote: »
    Fly to Germany as they're vat is way less. 7% I believe.I wouldn't touch paper silver as it's nothing more than fiat.

Fly to Zurich - Go to Bahnhofstrasse 45, enter by the main door, turn to right and enter a small room with lots of gold coins & bars on display - Buy as much as you wish, no VAT, and identity required!

Jim (Switzerland)

PS - You can also place it in a deposit box there as well, if you wish....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gan23

ravima wrote: »
    Coinsinvestdirect DO charge VAT on silver. Their price for 1kg silver inc VAT is €894 and ex VAT is €751.

Bullionvault price for 1KG is €700

Ravima,
    Have you bought from bullionvault before? Im quite nervous about buying over the net. Especially if its a large amount which is to be delivered to my home.

I have.

You do not get physical delivery from bullionvault, it stays in their vault. Yo ucan sell whenever you want and the money is sent to your bank. That is the bank from where you sent the initial deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I also use bullionvault. They're good, but remember you're trading within a (semi-)closed market and the costs on taking personal delivery are prohibitive and restricted to very large amounts of bullion only.
    There are also storage charges, though they are reasonable.
    I would advise anyone considering signing up to bullionvault to simply go to www.bullionvault.com and not via the previous poster's link, which is designed to ensure that they receive a referral bonus on all your trades.

(FULL disclosure next time, Ravima, there's a good chap.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@ravima - This is the second time you've posted a referral link here on Boards. Please do not do so again.

dudara

dunkamania wrote: »
    Am I understanding you correctly, your saying, silver backed paper is a fiat currency?????
    I'm saying there's nothing backing the paper.

http://etfdailynews.com/blog/2010/11/24/will-buying-silver-crash-jp-morgan-slv-sivr-agq-dbs-zsl-usv-sil/

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Fly to Zurich - Go to Bahnhofstrasse 45, enter by the main door, turn to right and enter a small room with lots of gold coins & bars on display - Buy as much as you wish, no VAT, and identity required!

Jim (Switzerland)

PS - You can also place it in a deposit box there as well, if you wish....
    I'll definitely be looking into this. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Try http://www.johnweldonauctioneers.com/ they often have them up for auction. Based in Dublin, nice people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I'm saying there's nothing backing the paper.

Digme's right. The ratio between the amount of PMs sold on the likes of SLV or GLD and the amount they're actually backed with is frightening. Shocking leverage, because they don't expect people to take delivery.
    I'd be concerned about a decoupling of the ETF paper prices and the price of physical in forthcoming months, especially if COMEX, as is possible, don't cover all the silver shorts this month with actual metal.

I'll definitely be looking into this. Thanks very much.

Bahnhoffstrasse 45 is the global head quarters of UBS, on of the two biggest Swiss banks.

Jim

Jim any idea what ingots and bars they sell ?
    I'm not interested in coins.

Jim any idea what ingots and bars they sell ?
    I'm not interested in coins.

In bars anything from a 1g to 5kg: check the prices on UBS Quotes

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Jim2007 wrote: »
    In bars anything from a 1g to 5kg: check the prices on UBS Quotes

Jim

Thanks Jim.

What are the tax issues if you bring them back to Ireland in luggage / hand luggage?

Is it up to you to declare them?

You can also get them tax free in Norway btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Ebay!

• Advertisement

turbobaby wrote: »
    What are the tax issues if you bring them back to Ireland in luggage / hand luggage?

Sorry no idea, since I lived here for over 20 years I'm no in habit of doing this :)

Jim.

O'Reillys auctions, www.oreillysfineart.com have a few krugerrands in the next auction. You can see the catalogue on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

meglome wrote: »
    Try http://www.johnweldonauctioneers.com/ they often have them up for auction. Based in Dublin, nice people too.

Actually should have mentioned these guys have an on-line catalogue too.

Advertisement