Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ohh I suppose I should also add, the reason for wanting to do this was the fact that after a heavy gaming session a few months back with a mate after about two hours the DC started to overheat and constantly reset itself.

Even with the DreamPSU in there I think the original fan was struggling with the heat generated from the GDEmu. So hopefully this solves that issue. Probably also my own fault for losing the original fan shroud after taking the thing apart countless times. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vintagecollector

Is there anyone within reasonable distance of wicklow that would be able to repair an Atari 1980 Asteroids deluxe? Either call out or i bring it to them. I bought it from a props company, screen and sound was disconnected (or so I'm told... might actually be broken... i only know what I've been told!!) but used to work apparently, 5+ years ago, in storage ever since. No keys. I can see it has its electrics, board, transformer etc all still inside. Need someone that knows what they're doing, I am not that person unfortunately. Any suggestions appreciated I'd love to have it working again, but no clue where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

I'd be very careful about the origins of that machine! You wouldn't know what kinda thing is waiting inside...

Seriously though, probably best to drill out the locks and get a proper look inside, could be the easiest fix in the world of reconnecting a wire or two. Take a few pictures and post them up here.

Don't be tempted to just turn it on and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭geotrig

Could be just the interlock s disconnected if lucky... Either way its an old machine and probably needs a few caps changed in the power brick and monitor at this stage, drill the rear door lock out and get some pics up , someone might be able to guide you then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭geotrig

It's also looks hacked as there is a joystick which shouldn't be there and a trackball so probably running on a 60in 1 or something so presume the vector monitor is gone as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So I thought my PCE was broken, haven't used it in ages. Just booted to a white screen. Was half on the lookout for another one.

Found a random Galaga HUcard this evening so decided to try it out instead of the Turbo Everdrive and what do you know, it works!

Looks like my Turbo Everdrive is where the issue actually is. Tried reformatting the SD, messing about with the region switch, cleaning the hell out of it - nothing. Just that fecking white screen.

It's a V1.0 card from 2012. Didn't realise I had it so long, looks like I bought it a year after the Mega Everdrive V1.0 came out.

Might be time to update both!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mm_surf

Update on the Fenrir, as requested.

It just..works. No fancy update procedures, just put the stuff on the sd card, insert, and away we go.

Installation was a breeze too- remove 4 screws, remove ribbon cable, unscrew bracket, place fenrir in position. Done.

Came with a friction fit bracket, to make it sit level on the CD rom mounts. SD Card is easily accessible through the opening from removing the cd drive. Not found a rom that has any issues yet.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got around to powering up the funky Pioneer PX-7, a MSX1. Good news, it seems to power on just fine with a lot of relay clicking from the video overlay board during the initial power on.

The keyboard cable was cut off at the keyboard itself with no sign of the computer connector side. A new DIN13 cable sourced, looks like it was meant to be a video cable :) there is a RGB cable set with additional shielding, makes the cable quite a bit ticker than the original.

Cable buzzed out;

Connector, looking into the male pins
     1  2  3  4
     5  6  7  8
     9 10 11 12

Cable colours;
    1 - Purple
    2 - Red Fat
    3 - Blue Fat
    4 - Green Fat
    5 - Grey
    6 - Shield Red Fat 
    7 - Shield Blue Fat
    8 - Shield Green Fat
    9 - Yellow
    10- Green
    11- White
    12- Red
    13- GND

Service manual found, page.10 - believe that is the computer connector pinout numbering. I will use a multimeter to check the location of the +5v to confirm I've got the orientation correct.

When I get a chance, I will get this soldered up to the remenantes of the old connector with a plan to have all this hidden inside the keyboard itself.

Better quality copy of the service manual here. Page 43 is the most useful. Pins of the DIN13 line up directly to the CN1 connector in the keyboard, so happy days. Tested the +5V pin location and I have the orientation correct. Also checked the two GND locations on the connector in the keyboard so I know whats pin 1 on that connector also.

So below is the Pin/CN number, what the pin is meant to be and then the colour in the DIN13 cable I picked up.

1 - KX6   - Purple
    2 - KX5   - Red Fat
    3 - KX2YC - Blue Fat
    4 - KX1YB - Green Fat
    5 - KX7.  - Grey
    6 - KX3.  - Shield Red Fat
    7 - KX4YD - Shield Blue Fat
    8 - KX1YB - Shield Green Fat
    9 - +5V.  - Yellow
    10- PCW.  - Green
    11- GND   - White
    12- CAPS  - Red
    13- GND.  - GND of cable
    SHIELD-SHARED GND - all GND are connected within system also

A little bit of soldering and wire shrinkwrap...

It has Basic! Queue my 133t programming skillz

The titling cartridge- some funky key combinations needed.

Now to see about a flashcart type thing for it. Open to suggestions.

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Damien-King

Ah Thats Great to see! Even If I had fixed it myself it would have gone back up on a shelf and nothing would have been done with it. The right man now has it!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That's really fantastic to see and glad it went to someone who was able to get it going.

Is there anything required to get games running on it or do you think you'll just be able to pop in MSX carts and away you go?

@BGOllie will surely know more than I, but I believe I can just pop in a game/flash cart (or load with the tape input at the back) and bobs your uncle. I really should try that I guess for a basic game/program

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

ah yeah if it's running it'll take a standard cart or flash cart and run in no problem. they're "standard" MSX machines with added pass-through audio and video

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can lend you something, while you wait

Did an IPS screen upgrade to my PSP 1003 model.

Using the solder glue to bridge two points on the board to readjust screen geometry was a little tough as it was needle point stuff.

The screen is a little off as a result but I think I can live with it.

For the sake of €30 it makes a huge difference. Screen is much brighter, colours are a lot better, the image is much sharper and there's hardly any ghosting.

Definitely recommend trying it out.

Can post videos if people want to see it in action.

edit So the screen crapped out after about an hour. Took it apart again and the solder glue crap is just that - crap.

Used alchohol and heat to clean it off of the board then just slipped off the leg of a resistor and used that to bridge the two points that are needed to do... something... to the new screen. All of the guides say that you must do it but not why.

It must have something to do with the screen's sync, I guess, as when it became disconnected from the solder glue paste stuff it would barely create an image on the screen and would just randomly flicker.

Either way all sorted now, just had a bash of Burnout and it looks beautiful.

Post edited by MrVestek on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I never really had the Saturn pegged as a machine to watch for leaking caps, guess I need to update that assumption! Model 2 Japanese Saturn here, with noticeable signs of cap leakage and buildup of crust.

^^ a small vinegar bath, and a rinse with IPA and it's looking normal again (this is the before pic). Will need to buy some parts to test it, but hopefully its been saved!

Post edited by Inviere on

So here are some of my recent adventures in attempting to mod my Dreamcast with the GD-IDE mod from Dragoncity.

Modding the GD-Rom controller board seemed successful at first but I couldn't for the life of me get Dreamshell to read from the drive.

Turns out this was because I was using a 40 pin IDE cable to the IDE to SATA converter and not an 80 pin cable, so got one of those ordered.

In the meantime I decided to re-flash the bios on my Dreamcast (got a lad on here to do that mod for me years ago when I had no skills whatsoever with a soldering iron) in an attempt to get Dreamshell to read from the HDD (I hadn't figured out what the problem was as of yet). So when messing around with the Dreamshell 4 RC5 disc I decided to try another firmware. Big... BIG mistake. YUGE. Turns out I wrote the damned Katana Devkit bios to the Dreamcast. Works fine until you try to boot any kind of disc and then freezes.

Balls. Absolutely no way to get back into any kind of software to reflash the chip. So... time to try something I've never done before and remove / replace a surface level component.

Followed a guide from Mark Fixes Stuff's YouTube channel and managed to successfully pull the chip cleanly without ripping any pads.

Then had to wait a week or so for my new Japanese cake bios to arrive from France.

So time to do more work on this thing than I had planned...

Managed to get it on there cleanly enough. Not the tidiest soldering job but I checked all pins with the multimeter and none of them were connected to eachother. I did also connect pin 44 to the appropriate place after taking this photo.

Gratuitous workbench / coffee table shot!

Booted her up through gritted teeth and... success! She lives! So now to finish the HDD mod... I reflowed some of the solder points on the GD-Rom controller board and tested all connections to make sure that I had continuity to the correct places on the GD-Rom connector and... well here are the results:

So now I just need to prep the HDD properly from the US Tocsec collection (with some PAL exclusives thrown in) and figure out how to route the cables and where I'm going to keep the hard drive. I'll probably 3D print something that can sit underneath the Dreamcast for that.

Still though... successful mod is successful! The beauty of the GD-IDE mod from Dragoncity too is that you can use both the hard drive and the GD-Rom drive at the same time, you don't have to sacrifice one for the other.

Dang this level of soldering was painful. Trying to get the ribbon cable to solder directly to the pads on the board was *so painful*. Three hours it took to make sure that everything had continuity and that nothing was bridged.

Of course, it took someone on the Mark Fixes Stuff board to tell me that flex cables like this can be flattened out if they're bending a bit (which it was, which is what made it so awkward) to tell me that a regular household clothes iron can flatten them out. Ohh well... it's done now with continuity and no bridging.

Also an update to the Dreamcast HDD mod, got it working perfectly!

For anyone wondering how I tried to tidy away the hard drive, I 3D printed a HDD bracket and mounted it to the underside of the table like this:

It might seem awkward but all I really need to do is disconnect the SATA to IDE adapter, connect a few SATA extension cables together then I can update the stuff on the drive directly via a laptop and PSU or simply just burn whatever I want to transfer over onto a CD and then just transfer over.

• Advertisement

Always curious what a GD-ROM setip was like with the Sega Naomi system so I had a notion - why not find out!

Picked up a non-working GD-ROM drive, no idea what was wrong with it but I guessed its drive might just be worn out. Luckily I still had the removed from the Japanese Dreamcast I had picked up. At this stage I didn't have a power cable nor SCSI data cable so had to wait. Eventually picked up both of those cables and then went about doing some testing. Both the fan and indeed drive seemed very clunky/noisey when tested with a 'normal' dreamcast disc. Cleaned it out, replaced the internal fan and popped in the ex-Dreamcast drive and all seemed like it was working by just listening.

So, I guess I need a game then? Enter a long wait until I found one which wasn't a sports title - yup, all of the games can be hand for the NetDimm cart I have but, wanted something non-generic :) eventually found 'Melty Blood: Act Cadenza' pop up on eBay in an auction, and won it cheaply enough. Note the black yoke there at the top of the case. Thats the unique to game security chip that needs to be installed in the RAM 'Dimm' board.

Connect it all together (ignore the Pi, its mounted there for the NetBoot'ness)

Change the jumpers on the NetDimm from booting from NetBoot to GD-ROM boot, installed the security chip for the game and power it all on, expecting an error of some sort but...no! It started up and read the disc just fine!

Boom! Worked!

Happy days - need to get a mount bracket for the drive as the one that came with it doesn't mount on the wood plank in the cab as is. Again, yes all of these GD-ROM games are now downloadable for pushing over the network to the Naomi but wanted to see how it actually worked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

In the process of moving house and had a disaster today. Anyone know where I could get replacement glass with a slight smoke on it (if that's what you call it) from an electrocoin xenon. Wonder if I could get perspex instead of glass or what the story is. I have a piece of metal that the glass sits into that I kept. Gutted as I've had it almost 20 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Noooo! Another one RIP. Sorry for your loss.

You can get toughened tinted glass like that cut anywhere really. It's around €50 but it won't have the black border/credit info. 2x of my xenons came with no glass so had new glass cut and 1x is the original glass but the black border art is all scratched up looking sad.

I asked Ollie from "arcade art shop" a few times over the years and he has no plans to to do a perspex repro with the art unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Ah thanks a mill for the reply.

Yeah was gutted after having it for so long.

I think it's 25 x 25 size wise, I presume there is no weird measurements or need to allow for anthing.

I know it had a black plastic tube type thing running along the top and the glass sat in to a metal runner type thing. I don't think I measured the thickness.

Thanks again for the reply and advice..

Got a few 'promo' versions of Gran Turismo from the PS1 to the PS4 -no GT3...yet :)

Not that fancy, retail versions of the games mainly which are destined for stores to promo the game.

Promo releases are always fun. Had one lad in The RAGE give me a fair few for The Dreamcast for free when I was purchasing other stuff as I had been in fairly often a few years ago for Dreamcast stuff and he knew that I was a fan. Top bloke.

Interesting pieces of history and I've always wondered where mine came from tbh.

Also, update on that Game Gear. Work done all in all:

Recapped all the boards. Replaced the clapped out speaker.

Replaced LCD with McWill clone from AliExpress, some shots of it here:

As you can see I had to dremel out some of the face plate to get the new LCD to actually fit. Here's some video of it in action:

Really happy with the results. I could have done a much better job with the new bezel but the new screen didn't really come with clone specific instructions. Really what I should have done was stuck the sticky stuff for the screen to the original screen's rubber to make it look a bit tidier from the front but... ahh whatever it works now.

Speaking of clones I have an Everdrive clone on the way from AliExpress now too!

Master of the Universe

Nicely done! can't beat a new screen in an old handheld.

Well it was necessary for this one as I bought it broken and the original screen was kaput. At least it saves it from landfill!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I do think a new screen is one of those quality of life modifications to a handheld that should definitely be done. As much as I like to keep things original.

You're getting fairly handy with an oul soldering iron by the way, fair play! - seems to have opened up a lot of stuff for you to work on.

Was thinking about dropping some hints to get some gear this Christmas and start working on a few bits and pieces. What are you using as a matter of interest?

Advertisement