Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rosetta Stone- Irish

• 18-05-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Always promised myself i'd make a good effort at learning irish after the leaving. I'm contemplating buying rosetta stone, has anybody used this before, did you feel it was worth the money?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

A lot has been said about it on here. Seems like it's more targeted at absolute beginners. As someone who has done the leaving you probably don't need to look at a shoe and hear someone say 'bróg'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

too expensive for what it gives you, you'll get better material cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

Fraher91 wrote: »
    Always promised myself i'd make a good effort at learning irish after the leaving. I'm contemplating buying rosetta stone, has anybody used this before, did you feel it was worth the money?
    I have RS + Irish packs. I didn't find the RS approach that great to be honest and certainly not worth the money.

In spite of what it says (learn langauge as a child does), I think you do need some grasp of the language first. Otherwise it's just a load of pictures with a word underneath - it's left up to your imagination to a large extent as to what the word actually means! :-P Not exactly what you want when learning a language.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

Hi a chara

I have heard good stuff about Buntus (with a fada over last u) also think it's got an iphone app. not that I have an iphone. I'm really rich but stingy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mccalld

buntús Alt Gr and the vowel will give you a Fada over it
    up arrow Alt Gr and the vowel will give you a capital with fada

Le dhea mhein
    Daithi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Not to start a new topic or anything but im i 5th year and am ****e at HL does anyone know if Level 3 will be of any benefit? or has anyone used it?

mccalld wrote: »
    buntús Alt Gr and the vowel will give you a Fada over it
    up arrow Alt Gr and the vowel will give you a capital with fada

Le dhea mhein
    Daithi

Actually it's the Shift key + Alt Gr for the capital letter :)
    Good tip though - didn't know this shortcut!

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Not to start a new topic or anything but im i 5th year and am ****e at HL does anyone know if Level 3 will be of any benefit? or has anyone used it?

Rosetta Stone is crap.

Advertisement