Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost Heritage Buildings

• 17-08-2010 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I was inspired by Judgement Day "Wasted Heritage Building" Thread. So I wish to start a thread on buildings/monuments that in the dark days of the Irish state were removed/knocked down in the name of progress. My nomination is Kenure House Rush. Bought by the state in the mid 60s and knocked down by the council in 1978 when it fell into disrepair.

124487.jpg

All that remains today is the portico.

124489.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Poor old Kenure Park they should have finished the job as what's left is like a freak show - your pic doesn't show the awful housing estate virtually on top of it. This thread will be a doddle to contribute to as there has been so much destruction.

Surely the Grand daddy of all destruction in the Dublin area was Frascati House in Blackrock, former home of Lord Edward FitzGerald of 1798 fame, and now the Roches Stores Frascati Shopping Centre. There is a plaque in the carpark!!! :rolleyes:

o_bgvhyha2.jpg

More information than you could posssibly want here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frescati_House

Poor Frascati lingered on as an eyesore until demolition in 1983.

Without wishing to hog this thread another of my favourites springs to mind. Shanbally Castle nr.Clogheen in Co.Tipperary - blown up by the Irish Army in 1957. The beautiful vaulted cellars still can be walked through while above ground there is little trace today.

Shan%20Castl.jpg

http://www.iol.ie/~clogheen/history/Shanbally/ShanballyCastle.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

What is the ruin on Lower Sean McDermott street? Its a small portico with a bricked up door. I have drove by it a number of times and always wondered what it was.

his_rockingham-house_big.jpg

As usual the dead hand of the State was responsible for the ultimate destruction of Rockingham House and the construction of the abomination which is the Moylurg Tower. I'm sure that the Kings and their predecessors on the land, the McDermotts, must be spinning in their graves.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZegoLIOPKjmtMz_b0rf2L9a8-VYn1o1PdRPChC4uwqOKwycs&t=1&usg=__NXs_wa5Ez6xa9Z39970RS3h8mu4=
    The Moylurg Tower - looking like something from the Berlin Wall or the DMZ between North and South Korea!

Some background info below:
    http://www.loughkey.ie/park-and-estate/history.html

History of Rockingham and Lough Key

Lough Key Forest Park is located in an area of great historical interest and is comprised of vast woodland and numerous islands. There is reference to Castle Island in the annals of Lough Ce as early as 1184. During this time the park was called Moylurg and the Kings of Moylurg were the McDermotts.

The McDermott's official residence was on The Rock, now called Castle Island . As space was limited on this small island they had another residence on the mainland where the Moylurg Tower stands today. The McDermotts ruled this area until the 17th century when it was granted to the King family from England under the Cromwellian settlement. The King family spent their time between the town of Boyle and Moylurg which they renamed Rockingham. One of the large mansions they built was called Rockingham House and was built where the Moylurg Tower now stands.

The famous architect John Nash designed the house in 1809/10. He was the renowned architect responsible for building the Regents Park and Regents Street in London . He has also been credited for building the "Tiara" gate-lodge on the N4 entrance and also the Fairy Bridge on the estate.

The famous landscaper John Sutherland was commissioned to lay out the park. At that time the idea in landscaping was to create a Landscape Park . In other words, the site while specially being designed and placed was also intended to look "natural".

In 1957 the house was destroyed by fire, believed to have started in the upper basement due to an electrical fault. The state took over the land in the 1950's and the remaining walls of the house were demolished in 1971. A concrete viewing tower called The Moylurg Tower was built on the site of the house in 1973.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'll add "The Mansion" as it was known in St. Annes park in Raheny. Went up in a blaze in the 1940's,gutted the interior and roof but exterior walls remained intact. Was left idle and the vandals had their way with it resulting in it's demolition in the late 1960's by the Corpo. My father had a good few pics taken when he was in his late teens in front of the ruins before it was demolished. He was brought up just up the road from it. Even in it's vandalised state it had a certain majesty.

stannesyd7.jpg

drawing-room-of-st-annes-house-1939.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

This Villa is in the process of withering away. There have been demonstrations but very little is being done. As far as I know the absent owner live in the US. The Lands are rented out to a motorcycle club who motocross around the house. There is a huge hole in the roof and the building is slowly falling down. Inside are paintings by Nathaniel Grogan and the the building was supposed to be the finest neoclassical villa of its time in Ireland.

It still can be saved!!!

http://www.wmf.org/project/vernon-mount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Just seen Nationwide and they had an interest piece about a guy who goes around Ireland photography abandon historical buildings. His site has some interesting photos of ruins.

http://www.abandonedireland.com/#

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

This thread makes me sad. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Just seen Nationwide and they had an interest piece about a guy who goes around Ireland photography abandon historical buildings. His site has some interesting photos of ruins.

http://www.abandonedireland.com/#

Already a Boards.ie member :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055327694

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There is a plaque in the carpark!!!

Ah well thats okay then.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZegoLIOPKjmtMz_b0rf2L9a8-VYn1o1PdRPChC4uwqOKwycs&t=1&usg=__NXs_wa5Ez6xa9Z39970RS3h8mu4=
    A concrete viewing tower called The Moylurg Tower was built on the site of the house in 1973.

A "viewing tower"?? For viewing what? France?

My first thought was racehorses training but that monstrosity is far too big for that surely?

InTheTrees wrote: »
    A "viewing tower"?? For viewing what? France?

My first thought was racehorses training but that monstrosity is far too big for that surely?

North Korea across the Demilitarized Zone but the architects drawings found their way to Ireland instead? :D

North Korea across the Demilitarized Zone but the architects drawings found their way to Ireland instead? :D

LOL.

Or one of those edifices for training firemen. A disjointed section of 5 story building that they can prop their ladders against.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's shocking the amount of beautiful old houses that were destroyed and demolished in the past 90 years. It shows how little respect Ireland and the State have had for our built heritage.:(:mad:

And also a very immature attitude to the fact that much of this heritage was built by the so-called "oppressors."

There's a great new book just published called the "Abandoned Mansions of Ireland" by Tarquin Blake. I would thoroughly recommend anyone interested in this subject to buy a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bubbles747

also even if they dont knock them down they restore them to somthing that they never were are there any laws for listed buildings here at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Mixed feelings about this building, but looks like it will be no more judging by the scale of the blaze in the pic.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/firefighters-battle-major-blaze-at-former-orphanage-in-cork-574032.html

http://www.abandonedireland.com/mc.html

Mixed feelings about this building, but looks like it will be no more judging by the scale of the blaze in the pic.

I see what you mean about mixed feelings. It was a grim place.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

There must be literally hundreds of similar religious orders buildings, incl. convents, seminaries etc., just falling apart all over the country.

A social commentary if there ever was one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I see what you mean about mixed feelings. It was a grim place.

:eek:

Grim yes but it was a nice building. It was far better than the waste land which may replace it.

There must be literally hundreds of similar religious orders buildings, incl. convents, seminaries etc., just falling apart all over the country.

A social commentary if there ever was one.

I think generally they were reused if there no longer needed. I think can think of many examples reused for all sots of uses. I wouldn't think there are hundreds free at this stage. Large period buildings are always reusable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement