I would be really interested to hear weather experts opinions on cloud seeding to control the weather.
The Economist have an interesting article here (paywall). I was not aware how big cloud seeding has got ...
- China spends $200m a year on cloud seeding.
- 50,000 people work in the area.
- Cloud-seeding operations in China cover 5m square kilometres, or more than half of its land territory. Expanding every year.
- China says that cloud-seeding brings down about 50bn cubic metres of extra rain or snow across the country each year—equal to about 8% of total water demand.
- Scientists now generally agree that cloud-seeding can slightly augment snowfall from specific types of cloud that form on the slopes of mountains.
- 50 countries experimenting with the technology.