Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Irishder wrote: »

At what stage can you select the voucher rather then rebooking

when they cancel the flight and offer you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

I tried to submit to flightrights.ie but as my flight was from outside Ireland (Faro to Dublin) it gave me the following warning:

Complaints regarding disruptions to;
    - Flights due to depart from other European airports; and
    - Flights from outside of the EU which were due to land in other European airports (and which are operated by Community-licensed air carriers)
    must be dealt with by the enforcement body in the country where the airport is located.
    A full list of countries and enforcement bodies can be found here.
    2004_261_national_enforcement_bodies.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Revolut were in touch with me this morning to get some info re cancellations and booking info so they can proceed with the case. Hopefully some positive news soon

Messi19 wrote: »
    Revolut were in touch with me this morning to get some info re cancellations and booking info so they can proceed with the case. Hopefully some positive news soon

Quick update. They've refunded 3 of my 4 chargebacks and I'll either have to wait for Ryanair to respond or 30 days and then they'll process the 4th one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

how long did it take for them to get bk to you? i put in chargeback request last week, i expect it to take a good while from previous experience

• Advertisement

ronano wrote: »
    how long did it take for them to get bk to you? i put in chargeback request last week, i expect it to take a good while from previous experience

I only put the request in last week so it's pretty quick tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Quick update. They've refunded 3 of my 4 chargebacks and I'll either have to wait for Ryanair to respond or 30 days and then they'll process the 4th one.

Were the 3 refunds that you got back from Ryanair or another airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Anyone attempt a chargeback through KBC Mastercard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

The SCC contacted me today, one week after I originally submit my request, looking for 25 EUR to start the process. I have paid the 25 EUR, so Aer Lingus now have 15 calendar days to respond.
    I only put the request in last week so it's pretty quick tbf

That is quick and well done to Revolut in your case. I put in a charge back claim with Revolut on 22 April, waiting to hear back.

paddy19 wrote: »
    Were the 3 refunds that you got back from Ryanair or another airline?

All ryanair. I'll likely have to get one raised for aer lingus in the not too distant future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Got this from Click&Go 2 weeks ago, we were booked to travel on the 18th May, I declined all 3 options & requested a refund, silence from them since.

1. Change your Travel date

a. Flights - Change your flight dates for FREE, however you will be charged the applicable fare difference. The fare difference is based on the current air fare and the fare for the new travel dates.

b. Accommodation - We would also need to change your accommodation from May to your new dates, please note this may incur additional costs. If the accommodation booked for May is a non-refundable rate which usually means that no changes or amendments are allowed, we will endeavour to ask the supplier to offer flexibility about these normally restrictive rates. Any change in this type of accommodation will incur additional costs.

2. Take some time to decide on a new travel date

If you do not know your travel plans at this time you can “delay deciding on your new travel date” until 31 August 2020. Once you have decided on new travel dates (by 31 August 2020) we can:

a. Flights - Change your flight dates for FREE, however you will be charged the applicable fare difference. The fare difference is based on the current air fare and the fare for the new travel dates.

b. Accommodation - We would also need to change your accommodation from May to your new dates, please note this may incur additional costs. If the accommodation booked for May is a non-refundable rate we will need to confirm new accommodation for your new travel date which will incur an additional cost.

3. No change

If you don’t want to consider date changes, you can leave your May booking as it stands and wait to see what the airline does. If the flight operates there is no entitlement to a refund. If the flight is cancelled, we will work on a refund process from the airline. We will also then work on a refund process from the accommodation and transfer providers subject to the terms and conditions of cancellations for those services. If you receive an email from the airline about your booking it would help the process if you could forward those emails to info@clickandgo.com.

What should you do next?

Have a think about what option you prefer regarding your holiday booking. Email us no later than 20th April 2020 to let us know your decision – email info@clickandgo.com. Once we have received your decision no further amendments can be made and if we do not hear from you no change will be made to your May booking. Please note name changes or change in destination are not permitted.

Please be aware that the information above is correct as of today, we are dealing with a very fluid situation, most of which is outside our control. Please be assured that we are doing our best to look after our customers at this stressful time and appreciate that we are not in a position to answer all your questions at this point.

We wish to thank you in advance for your understanding.

Just to add that under EU Regulation 261 (Passenger Rights) the customers has the right to cancle & is entitled to a full refund without any penalties or fees.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

For anyone who successfully used flightright to get their money back for their cancelled Ryanair flight, was there a fee involved? I thought this was free, but they state the following on their website:
    We provide a guarantee of success: either we get your compensation for you or our service is completely free. Our success fee 20 – 30% (plus VAT) on your total compensation amount.

https://www.flightright.com/costs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

woodchuck wrote: »
    For anyone who successfully used flightright to get their money back for their cancelled Ryanair flight, was there a fee involved? I thought this was free, but they state the following on their website:

https://www.flightright.com/costs

That's a private company not flighrights. Ie

Ah ok, thanks!

So if I use www.flightrights.ie, it's free, no charge regardless of the outcome?

We were due to fly to Marrakesh, but it's not appearing in the dropdown list of airports...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

"Twelve countries have asked the European Commission to suspend the law requiring airlines to offer passengers a full refund for cancelled flights, championing the idea of time-limited vouchers as an alternative.

Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland and Portugal co-signed a letter on Wednesday (29 April)"

Source: https://www.euractiv.com/section/aviation/news/twelve-countries-demand-passenger-rights-suspension/

otnomart wrote: »
    "Twelve countries have asked the European Commission to suspend the law requiring airlines to offer passengers a full refund for cancelled flights, championing the idea of time-limited vouchers as an alternative.

Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland and Portugal co-signed a letter on Wednesday (29 April)"

Source: https://www.euractiv.com/section/aviation/news/twelve-countries-demand-passenger-rights-suspension/

Thanks otnomart.

The airlines have your money and they have used their considerable lobbying
    power and scare tactics to get countries to allow them to hold on to it in breach of the law.

To get your money back lodge a complaint today with

wwwflightrights.ie

It's free, simple and fast.

Or lock your cash away for 12 to 18 months in the airlines bank.

You'll still have to play the airlines silly games to get your money then.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭limabromac

Shocking stuff altogether from our government...Mr varadkar today said that it couldn't be retrospectively changed which is hopeful..
    Sent my flightrights claim off on the 27th and my chargeback had been with AIB for 8 days but they said it would take 100 days... looks like AIB,Shane Ross and Heather Humphreys and MOL are having the chats behind closed doors and making plans for our money as they go along..

limabromac wrote: »
    Shocking stuff altogether from our government...Mr Varadkar today said that it couldn't be retrospectively changed which is hopeful..

Thanks for the heads up limabromac.
    Sorry it isn't hopeful.

Mr. Varadkar is talking rubbish.

"Mr Varadkar said the government has not taken a formal position on the issue of vouchers or refunds."

Yes he has, the letter (attached) signed by the Irish Government to the EU states:

"We believe that regulating the temporary issuance of vouchers is possible and acceptable for consumers,"

= Mandatory vouchers.

He said: "There maybe something at Department level so I will have to check but even so, I doubt that any law could be changed retrospectively.

"I may be wrong about that but I have never come across anyone changing a consumer protection law retrospectively.

"It might be changed prospectively but I do not see how it could be changed retrospectively."

He is wrong:

It can effectively be changed retrospectively.
    Several countries have done it.
    You simply change the law to allow the likes of Ryanair to issue mandatory vouchers instead of refunds.
    The effect is retrospection.
    You signed up to a deal which guaranteed cash refund with 7 days for cancellations.

New deal is you get mandatory vouchers which funds Michael O'Leary's Ryanair for 12 to 18 months.

He said: "I will get a briefing on that issue but there is no Government decision on it."

The Government signed the letter to the EU that supported mandatory vouchers.

""I want to see Ryanair and Aer Lingus operate some time later in the summer and some time in August, and I would not like to be in a situation whereby we have to bail out airlines because they failed."

Bailout Ryanair is he for real!
    Ryanair are one of the most cash rich airlines on the planet.

Aer Lingus is part of IAG why would Ireland bailout IAG.
    an Anglo-Spanish multinational airline holding company with its registered office in Madrid, Spain

If you want your cash get to www.Flightrights.ie or the SCC pretty fast.

Guide for refunds here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

ive resubmitted my claim to the SCC with booking references and the amounts of the flights so hope fully they'll come back to me soon.

Fair play @paddy19 for getting your money back and all the info, good man yourself, and the best of luck to everyone against these horrible bas****s ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

I tried to chat to Revolut this morning to see about a charge back and got the following message:

'I am sorry to hear that you were caught in such circumstances. Unfortunately, under travel insurance policy we do not cover trip cancellations.
    In this case we can advice you to get in touch with airline company directly or accommodation provider.

Emergency medical treatment costs are covered (outside of your country of residence only) provided that before you departed on your trip, you have not travelled to a country, a specific area or event where there is a directive advising the general public against all or against all but essential travel.

If your issue is solved please type RESOLVED in other case type LIVE AGENT'

Edit: got chatting to a live agent and have submitted a chargeback form anyway but chances of success are pretty low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I got this from revolut this morning regarding ryanair refund

'Unfortunately in your case In accordance with VISA Managing Disputes Through COVID-19 rules, if the merchant has not provided the service due to a government-imposed prohibition, we do not have a dispute right as government regulation and/or law supersedes VISA rules on dispute rights. We can only advise you to work directly with the merchant to resolve.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Im absolutely dreading dealing with this.

I had booked outbound with aerlingus (24th june)and inbound with Ryanair(8th July) as the flight times were better and it was slightly cheaper.

The one time I do it. The one bloody time. Now I have to deal with 2 companies who are trying to keep my money.

I don't want vouchers. We have decided to do long haul next year, I need a refund :(

Edit:we were going to lanzarote - I believe the, canary islands will not open to tourists until August at the very earliest from what I am reading

ronano wrote: »
    I got this from revolut this morning regarding ryanair refund

'Unfortunately in your case In accordance with VISA Managing Disputes Through COVID-19 rules, if the merchant has not provided the service due to a government-imposed prohibition, we do not have a dispute right as government regulation and/or law supersedes VISA rules on dispute rights. We can only advise you to work directly with the merchant to resolve.'

So because the govt put the 'no essential travel' sign on the door ,visa don't have to give back the money... however ryanair are still operating and flying in and out of Ireland and they cancelled the flight not the govt ..

This is the response I received from visa international
    last week when I contacted them to query why aib wouldn't accept a chargeback request...

Unfortunatelyy, Visa cannot progress this case on your behalf since Visa does not have a contract with cardholders and does not have access to, or jurisdiction over, cardholder accounts. Our client financial institutions issue cards and are responsible for all account management and billing inquiries. Account information is confidential and is regulated by the Terms and Conditions between client banks and their cardholders.

Please be informed that in cases of disputed sale transactions you may be eligible for a chargeback.
    Chargebacks are reversals of disputed sales transactions. Please find out from your bank whether you are eligible for chargeback.

If you do not have insurance and are not eligible for chargeback, your card-issuing bank may not be able to assist you in this issue. You are advised to speak to your local Citizens Advice Bureau who will be able to tell you what your legal rights are in this case and whether the merchant is liable by law to give you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

"Ryanair vows to refund 25million customers in six months:"
    Daily mail article.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8276783/Ryanair-says-3-000-jobs-lost-restructuring-plan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

paddy19 wrote: »
    Bailout Ryanair is he for real!
    Ryanair are one of the most cash rich airlines on the planet.

Aer Lingus is part of IAG why would Ireland bailout IAG.

Ryanair also have the biggest fleet and have the most exposure. It’s very easy to burn through cash when you have no income and have to pay for loans on hundreds of planes as well as airport costs.

As for bailing out Aer Lingus. We are an island nation who rely on air links for tourism and trade. If Aer Lingus or transatlantic connections go. And Ryanair are handied a monopoly an European and UK routes.

For someone who Posts so much about airlines, I’m amazed at how little of a clue you have

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Have a flight booked for middle of June to Barcelona with Vueling. Got my first contact with them yesterday as they offered a voucher valid for 18 months. But 1800 was spent on flights so I'd prefer the refund.

I've been watching the latest plans and it looks like Spain will potentially be partially open in June if all goes according to plan. But partially means no common areas, reduced restaurants and bar availability etc, which would negate the point of us going away. Have travel insurance and paid by credit card but feels like a game of wait and see :(

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0501/1135969-ryanair-says-covid-19-impact-may-result-in-loss-of-up-t/

Mr O'Leary says:
    We're working through at the moment the March refunds, that will take us certainly two or three months, then we'll move to the April refunds, then the May refunds, but nobody will not get a cash refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ted1 wrote: »
    Ryanair also have the biggest fleet and have the most exposure. It’s very easy to burn through cash when you have no income and have to pay for loans on hundreds of planes as well as airport costs.

As for bailing out Aer Lingus. We are an island nation who rely on air links for tourism and trade. If Aer Lingus or transatlantic connections go. And Ryanair are handied a monopoly an European and UK routes.

For someone who Posts so much about airlines, I’m amazed at how little of a clue you have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtccxnEmfeM

according to MOL in this interview, he said they havent got a lot of costs at the moment cos they are all grounded

I get it that they are going to take a while to process the refunds, its the manner in the way they are doing it and making it very awkward to get your refund

It should be do you want a refund or rebook?
    2 buttons REFUND REBOOK
    Click your selection
    If you select refund then it should take you to a page to enter details and once that is done, you are given a number

You should then be able to log in any time, put in your number and see where you are in the queue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

What’s the scenario if your flight is going ahead but you are not allowed travel to airport as it’s deemed not essential?

Advertisement