Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This post has been deleted.

Never had that experience. Myself and the family travel at least once or twice a year to France with IF. We normally wait in the cabin until the last minute. I think once in the last five years we were asked to leave but we were 30 minutes from docking at that stage. Maybe we have just been lucky!

If it was Stena line you would have to return your cabin key and get your passport or car keys back as well which obviously necessitates another queuing session (unless they have finally stopped this archaic practice this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Same as Gandalf... Have never been turfed out by IF. They always worked around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

gandalf wrote: »
    Never had that experience. Myself and the family travel at least once or twice a year to France with IF. We normally wait in the cabin until the last minute. I think once in the last five years we were asked to leave but we were 30 minutes from docking at that stage. Maybe we have just been lucky!

If it was Stena line you would have to return your cabin key and get your passport or car keys back as well which obviously necessitates another queuing session (unless they have finally stopped this archaic practice this year).

Does it depend upon the route? We went twice to France with IF and were not turfed out on either of the journeys.....but we were going Rosslare - Roscoff return, maybe it's different for the Cherbourg run?
    Can see how it'd be a mighty PIA being turfed out with the kids.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Rosslare-Cherbourg with IF this year...nobody tried to turf us out. Just left a bag on our door handle to indicate they hadn't done our room yet and they moved on to the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Home Roscoff to Rosslare on IF. Cleaning announced about an hour before we docked but included a message stating we could leave our bags in the room.

I have generally found if we strip the beds and leave the sheets etc in a pile on the floor that does the job for them and they are happy to leave us stay in the room until it's time to disembark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

For what its worth, I rang Irish Ferries yesterday to see when they'd be announcing the timetable for 2016. The lady on the phone reckoned the middle to the end of October. Seems very late, seeing as brittany and Stena have their times up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

For what its worth, I rang Irish Ferries yesterday to see when they'd be announcing the timetable for 2016. The lady on the phone reckoned the middle to the end of October. Seems very late, seeing as brittany and Stena have their times up.

Last year it seems to have been Sept 12th or thereabouts when they released their confirmed schedule / prices. Mid / End Oct seems very late.

Have a questions re Irish Ferries and cars - Is there any price difference between a car that is under 1.9m in height and a car that is between 1.9m and 2.25m in height ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Last year it seems to have been Sept 12th or thereabouts when they released their confirmed schedule / prices. Mid / End Oct seems very late.

Have a questions re Irish Ferries and cars - Is there any price difference between a car that is under 1.9m in height and a car that is between 1.9m and 2.25m in height ?

if they give you the option to select between the two, then in general there is a price difference, same if you add a rear mounted cycle carrier.

if they give you the option to select between the two, then in general there is a price difference, same if you add a rear mounted cycle carrier.

That's weird - the guy I spoke to on the phone a few weeks ago said that there would be no extra charge for a bike carrier on the back of the car but there would be if the height on the roof went over 2.25m. Since then I was looking on the website and saw that there is actually 3 different heights mentioned - under 1.9m, between 1.9m & 2.25m and over 2.25m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

try making 2 different online quotes, with Brittany ferries at least, theres at least €45 charge for going over the 1.9. The reason I'm so positive, is because on this years trip, I decided to mount the bikes on the roof instead of on the rear carrier that I had paid for. They deducted the money i had paid for the carrier on the back , and applied a discount to the roofload. I couldnt complain as it was my own mistake.

I paid the 45 on the spot with my credit card and had a new ticket emailed to me within seconds.

Just got an email there now from Irish Ferries with the Provisional Sailing Schedule for 2016 and also saying that it may be Oct before the Schedule is confirmed and the Prices are released.

Just got an email there now from Irish Ferries with the Provisional Sailing Schedule for 2016 and also saying that it may be Oct before the Schedule is confirmed and the Prices are released.

did they give you a provisional timetable, or just confirm that they wont be announcing until october? I'd love a copy of that if you wouldnt mind as the sailing dates, moreso than the price is going to dictate who i travel with this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

Maybe they are waiting to see if ROI or NI qualify for the Euros :)

webpal wrote: »
    Maybe they are waiting to see if ROI or NI qualify for the Euros :)

When will we know that ? Sorry, don't follow soccer in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

When will we know that ? Sorry, don't follow soccer in our house.
    The last round of qualifers are in mid October with playoffs in November. There are 2 matches this weekend/next week so the picture might be a bit clearer come Wednesday next as there are only 2 more qualifiers after that.

webpal wrote: »
    The last round of qualifers are in mid October with playoffs in November. There are 2 matches this weekend/next week so the picture might be a bit clearer come Wednesday next as there are only 2 more qualifiers after that.
    Will the tournament in France have much of an effect on the ferry prices does anyone think ? If Ireland qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Will the tournament in France have much of an effect on the ferry prices does anyone think ? If Ireland qualify.

When is the tournament in France and what cities will the games be held in? Would tickets be easy to come by? I wouldn't mind going to a random match if we were in the general area.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

juneg wrote: »
    When is the tournament in France and what cities will the games be held in? Would tickets be easy to come by? I wouldn't mind going to a random match if we were in the general area.

Thanks

There ya go http://bfy.tw/1agG.

Just want to ask in relation to Eurocamp - what essentials would anyone recommend bringing from Ireland ? What is lacking in the Mobile Homes ?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Hello, with Eurocamp equipment varies with the model of van you rent. The better models ie more expensive contain everything you need but some wont have a tv. We bring our own with a media player for movies and box sets for the nights where you just want to chill out. As earlier stated linen packs are not provided but can be purchased but will still cost €40/€50 to rent for family of 4.If your kids have those small scooters and you have room, their ideal for nipping around big sites and going for the bread in the morning.We stayed in loire valley twice and its beautiful , Chateau Des Marais with Eurocamp and parc de val de loire with yelloh group both lovely sites with very good pools in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭fdevine

Just to note it is worth your while shopping around if you're planning on hiring through Canvas, Eurocamp, Lifestyle etc....

We stayed with Eurocamp in Picardy this year and the mobile was almost €1000 cheaper than with anyone else. Prices for next year don't appear to have gone up by much either.

We had one of the older, more basic mobiles but it was fine and everything we needed was in it. Most do not have a TV but between laptops, tablets and phones we didn't need one.

Extras you can book in advance include linen packs, towels, beach towels, and pack with detergents and cloths in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 huges

SusanC10 we have gone from Rosslare to Roscoff and stayed in a Eurocamp for a no of years now. Great holiday for the kids etc lots to see and do for the parents as well. The driving is great in France set your sat nav and away you go! The shopping is much the same as here too be honest and the wine is so cheap. We always bring a flat tray for the oven as a family of 6 u need the extra space, all of the places we stayed had just one oven shelf and tray. Also a knife to peel veg etc. Also I usually bring a few essentials like baked beans, a cereal etc that some of the kids like! Also a laptop and dvds for the kids. We have gone on the Oscar Wilde and the food is grand and not badly priced! Sometimes we just go to the café and have a sandwich and other times we have had our dinner in one of the restaurants (The left bank ) Thinking of heading to Cherbourg next yr and driving to Picardy and visiting Paris Euro Disney etc . fdevine u didn't happen to stay at la Croix de Vieux Pont did u? Just curious as to how convenient it is for Paris etc ? Don't want to be too far away and at the same time not too close to Paris either!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

We stayed at the apartments in la Croix de Vieux pont around 10 years ago and it was a great holiday.
    Drove to Disney a couple of days and drive was around an hour or so. We actually drove and parked our car there another day and got train from there into Paris for a days sight seeing also.
    apartments in camp were first class at the time with more mod cons than we even had in our kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Berberis wrote: »
    We stayed at the apartments in la Croix de Vieux pont around 10 years ago and it was a great holiday.
    Drove to Disney a couple of days and drive was around an hour or so. We actually drove and parked our car there another day and got train from there into Paris for a days sight seeing also.
    apartments in camp were first class at the time with more mod cons than we even had in our kitchen.

We go there every year, great site. The drive is long from the ferry but worth it imho.

The one thing I would bring is tea towels as there are none provided and a torch which is handy for walking back at night. I also ask for a site away from the pool area and road...It's a bit noisy and can be off putting having people walking past your mobile when your having a meal or drink on the deck. Everything else you could want is there.

It's very handy for Paris, the site has a bus a few times a week or you can get the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Any opinions on the best weeks (in July / August) for a French campsite holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Ryanair and car hire can be cheaper option and give a bigger range of travel , plus the car is lhd, just can't bring the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irishgirl78

Irish Ferris won't have their bookings available for next year until next month. Really silly as they had 20% off bookings but must have been a winter sailing. Look at other campsite companies.Eurocamp charge a lot more than others. Yelloh Village are very good for France. Would you consider the ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg?

We have pretty much decided on Rosslare to Cherbourg with Irish Ferries unless the prices are ridiculous when they come out. We want to drive and bring the bikes and bring home some wine :)

Added to the List are Baking Tray, Torch, Tea Towels and Veg Peeler !

We don't really go for TV / DVDs while on holidays. My Husband will have to bring his work laptop but that does not allow DVDs or personal use etc. Don't really want to have to bring a second laptop. Will bring a few games for the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Ok I am completely new to this.

Just back from Inch and it was perfect but would have loved some actual sun so this is really the option we are thinking about but no idea where to start.

Just wondering where is best place to start looking for accommodation for a new starter? Just to get idea's.

We will be traveling with a 2 kids, they will be 3 & 1 next year.

Potentially some of our other family could travel(2 adults & 4 kids[1, 3, 5, 7])

I know it is vague but where do I start is probably my question:P

Advertisement