Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprise Ancestry news

• 22-09-2011 9:12am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ancestry has put up the civil bmd indexes and Catholic parish registers!

It's pretty much what is already free on Familysearch but apparently has a better search engine.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/ireland

ETA: Looking at the site, it says that 40% of what they have come from Co. Meath and 15% are from Roscommon. I just did a test search for some ancestors - they definitely have records for St. Andrews Church in Dublin.

And some further details here:

http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.com/

I don't know where that woman gets her news but it's well worth following her blog!

I wish I hadn't used my free trial on Ancestry now. Off to ask the parents if I can use their credit card for another one!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I'm with Ancestry about 6 months now, and with North American roots on my father's side since emigration in 1854 (from Ireland) it's been a great help with my family that side of the Atlantic. I was on it just yesterday, and was surprised and delighted to see the Irish records listed under 'what's new'.

I'm going to be busy today. :D

Edit: I find Ancestry very easy to use, and much more user-friendly than familysearch. In fact I don't much like the new familysearch search engine at all. Maybe it's just a case of familiarity, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

Panic :eek:
    I am not familiar with Ancestry.com. I clicked on the 'pay as you go option' but I seem to have been signed up for a 14 day free trial with a bill for £107 if I don't cancel by Oct 6th. Help please !!

jos28 wrote: »
    I am not familiar with Ancestry.com. I clicked on the 'pay as you go option' but I seem to have been signed up for a 14 day free trial with a bill for £107 if I don't cancel by Oct 6th. Help please !!

Just use it for 12-13 days then cancel using 'My Account', 'subscription details' & 'cancel subscription' (the last being under 'account information/subscription options' on the right hand side).

It's quite straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

mod9maple wrote: »
    Just use it for 12-13 days then cancel using 'My Account', 'subscription details' & 'cancel subscription' (the last being under 'account information/subscription options' on the right hand side).

It's quite straightforward.

Thanks a million mod, I'll make sure I make the most of the free trial so.
    Cheers

pinkypinky wrote: »

Interesting article...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0922/1224304521506.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

jos28 wrote: »

The £107 is for the 12-months sub.

Ponster wrote: »
    The £107 is for the 12-months sub.

Ponster - I see you live in Paris. Have you ever tried accessing French records? Are they online do you know? I'm looking specifically for Birth certs circa 1820s & 1830s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It depends on where you want the records for.

These are the dept's that are online.

http://search.ancestry.fr/search/CardCatalog.aspx#ccat=hc%3D25%26dbSort%3D5%26sbo%3D1%26filter%3D0*34%7C0*123%7C1*5087%26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

pinkypinky wrote: »

ETA: Looking at the site, it says that 40% of what they have come from Co. Meath and 15% are from Roscommon. I just did a test search for some ancestors - they definitely have records for St. Andrews Church in Dublin.

Pinky Pinky: Do you know what years the records are for in St Andrews Church? I believe a Grand-Aunt of mine got married there (possibly in the 20's). She was the black sheep of the family and I know very little about her. I have meant to try and track down her marriage details but have little details to go on apart from her married name!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sundew,

You can get St Andrews for free on www.irishgenealogy.ie - up to about 1880. Ancestry would have the same years because they came from the same source, the NLI microfilms. Some parishes go a little later to 1900 but they don't tell you on the site.

For a 1920s birth, why don't you look at the civil records on family search? If you have her married surname, you can do a cross reference search for her birth name and a parallel one for that married surname.

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

mod9maple wrote: »
    Ponster - I see you live in Paris. Have you ever tried accessing French records? Are they online do you know? I'm looking specifically for Birth certs circa 1820s & 1830s.

There are some collections available on FamilySearch, in case you hadn't come across them:
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927089

More information on what's contained here:
    https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/France_Births_and_Baptisms_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records)

Thanks Ponster and Dun, I appreciate the help. :)

Advertisement