Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange cartoon on rte.

• 22-02-2009 1:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

I put a thread about this about a year ago to no avail so ill give it another try.I remember a cartoon on rte in the late 70s ,early 80s.It was about a concert pianist and had no dialogue,each cartoon was fairly short ,maybe 10 minuites.It always started with the pianist starting a concert and then somehow he enters the piano into another world and having adventures.The one i remember most was a sort of arabian nights type one where he was chased in a sportscar by a genie.Its been driving me mad for years so if anyone has any ideas id appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ruadhri44

I remember it but I don't remember the name. I don't think for some reason it was an English language cartoon but was dubbed in English. It was out about late 1980 or early 1981.

I can only remember one episode in which he went into the world of Peter and the Wolf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

ruadhri44 wrote: »
    I remember it but I don't remember the name. I don't think for some reason it was an English language cartoon but was dubbed in English. It was out about late 1980 or early 1981.

I can only remember one episode in which he went into the world of Peter and the Wolf.
    I'm glad to know I dident dream the whole thing.I'd love to know the name of it if anyone else can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

dont remember that...but now your on the subject of cartoons...there was a cartoon movie back in the 80`s sort of like the lord of the rings...it was about elves and fairies whos world was being taken over by a mad fairy who was like hitler...i cant for the life of me remember what it was called...the lead good guy had a beard and was a fairy i think..if anyone could remember this it would put my mind at rest cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

found it...its called wizards and its from 1977 great movie if ye get a chance to see it...

Bumping this on the off chance anyone knows the name of this cartoon.Still stumped after all these years.If it helps the pianist character in it had glasses and a beard,in retrospect he looked a bit like those carricatures that Rolf Harris used to do of himself.I vaugely seem to remember that he'd enter the piano through that door part that swings open on the top then (I think) he would walk down steps into the other dimension where the adventures would take place.It would always end with him being in some kind of danger and then before anything bad happened he would be back in the real world,maybe that it was a dream.I can't exactly remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

darkdubh wrote: »
    Bumping this on the off chance anyone knows the name of this cartoon.Still stumped after all these years.

I remember this thing. What a blast from the past.

Leave it with me and I'll have a search tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I can't help you but I'm amazed that someone posted the query seven years ago, got his first reply three years later, and now it's been revived again four years after that. So now I'm curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I remember this thing. What a blast from the past.

Leave it with me and I'll have a search tomorrow.

When I saw the post last night the first thing I was thinking of was Mr Benn. Even though I know it's wrong, I can't get it out of my head.

When I saw the post last night the first thing I was thinking of was Mr Benn. Even though I know it's wrong, I can't get it out of my head.

No,it definitely wasn't Mr Benn.It had a pretty similar feel all right.The one episode of it that I can remember in any clear detail had him in a kind of Arabian Nights type scenario and it featured a genie in a lamp.The main character got hold of the lamp and was making all kinds of riches and treasure appear for himself and an open top sportscar.There was a scene with him driving off in the sportscar with I think maybe all his treasure loaded into it and the genie flying in the air chasing him,there was an ariel view from the genies POV of the car speeding down a road.The genie I think makes the car disappear and he catches up with the pianist.The genie who I think was giant sized points his finger threateningly at the pianists nose then theres a flash and hes back in the real world with the adventure over.It always used to end like that,with him transported back just when something bad or dangerous was going to happen,he might have been in bed,not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sparkys Magic Piano?

• Advertisement

Sparkys Magic Piano?

Just looked it up there.No its not that,the cartoon I saw would have been shown on RTE circa 1978-80.I have a feeling it was European even though it had no dialogue,it might have been "inspired" by Mr Benn as they both have very similar scenarios and thats where the confusion is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

http://www.epguides.com

Maybe this might help, not sure if you can search by year or if it goes back as far as the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Padre101

I think I remember the cartoon about the pianist. don't know the name of the show, but I think the pianist was called Professor Plinkett E. Plunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

RTE used to show lots of Eastern European cartoons to fill in when a programme ran short in those days. Always loved them. Actually… bit of a long shot, but you could see if RTE has any record of what the animation might have been. I think a lot of them were Czech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

who recalls Lolek and Bolek?

You could also try asking in the Eastern Europe forum here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=262236

though it's more for people travelling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Does anyone remember the name of an animation that had a guy with a mandolin or something similar telling a story by song ? I think it was one of those space fillers rather than an actual cartoon.

Anyone remember a cartoon from the late 80's early 90's think it was originally French. It was about antibodies in a human body, they lived in a kind of city inside the person. When the person was sick or cut they went to work fixing them. They had a pointy head and long fat floppy noses and their leader was an old man with a long beard down to his feet.
    The germs were a seperate group and the were always trying to infect or injure the persons body.

Hope this makes sense to someone.

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Anyone remember a cartoon from the late 80's early 90's think it was originally French. It was about antibodies in a human body, they lived in a kind of city inside the person. When the person was sick or cut they went to work fixing them. They had a pointy head and long fat floppy noses and their leader was an old man with a long beard down to his feet.
    The germs were a seperate group and the were always trying to infect or injure the persons body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6G986lpag maybe? (Translated)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Bad_alibi wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time..._Life

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

DeadParrot wrote: »

That's the one God bless the Internet.

Getting back to the original subject of the thread there must be a lot of people in their early 40s- ish onwards in Ireland who would have seen it.It might not necessarily have been Eastern European but almost certainly not Irish,British or American.Then again I could be totally wrong on that as it was so long ago and my memory of it is vague but thats the vibe my memories of it give.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

eviltwin wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the name of an animation that had a guy with a mandolin or something similar telling a story by song ? I think it was one of those space fillers rather than an actual cartoon.

I think its this one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Skid X wrote: »
    I think its this one

You absolute legend !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

The cartoon OP mentions wasn't Eastern European, it was called "Magic Piano" and was made for RTE by animator Aidan Hickey and shown around 1978/79. No footage of it online but Hickey also was responsible for the McSpuds animated shorts on Bosco and also the Bosco cartoon spinoff and it was a very similar look and animation style.

There's also this weird short of his on Youtube that I don't remember but apparently it was also made for RTE.

Oh and I nearly forgot, he was also responsible for C-P & Qwikstitch which was originally shown on RTE in 1982. I could have sworn it was also shown in Irish. Can anyone confirm this?

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1016/652830-robots-come-to-life/

It was also sold to the BBC from where this broadcast was recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Big thick Louth accent on the Guard is hysterical, but those McSpud cartoons have always creeped me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭J6P

Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Oh and I nearly forgot, he was also responsible for C-P & Qwikstitch which was originally shown on RTE in 1982. I could have sworn it was also shown in Irish. Can anyone confirm this?

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1016/652830-robots-come-to-life/

It was also sold to the BBC from where this broadcast was recorded.

I know very well-researched TV historians who for years presumed it was British, and called it "typical British animation". I informed them it was wholly Irish, and then said, "in the tradition of British animation", rather than Eastern European animation, or whatever.

• Advertisement

Podcast interview with Aidan Hickey which is worth a listen, he speaks a bit about the McSpuds, the Bosco cartoon and another series he did with Pat Ingoldsby that doesn't ring a bell with me.

https://flippedpodcast.podbean.com/e/flipped-podcast-11-aidan-hickey/

Advertisement