Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It wasn't Bosco but... (part deux)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Does anyone remember the puppet in Deep Fried Swamp? Ginger puppet along with an old man, Mossy Ferguson! :p

"Hungry for the ball lads, hungry for the ball!!!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I remember cakin my pance on a few occasions watchin this - really weird stuff!
    Anybody remember the episode where otto flips out and starts flinging knifes around the kitchen at Rory and Leo?Then they try and kill otto by cuttin his head off and stickin him in the washing machine.:eek:

For some strange reason i remember Rorys favorite band were 'The Fat Catastrophies'
    Then there was Aunt Veras love interest with the snake skin belts and greasy matted plastic hair.who also turned out to be evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 itsbillythehick

i don't remember the painting at all, but one thing i do remember id that Vera had a little man seh drew on a piece of paper, and she talked to him a lot as if he was her boyfriend. and i remember there was another stuffed toy along with otto called Flick.
    and the last thing i remember about it was at the end of one episode where vera was trying to use her computer and all the words on the screen suddenly started to morph into a picture of her old boyfriend, the evil one.

that one image is just burned into my memory. scared the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I vaguely remember it but did she look a bit like Bo Selecta's Scary spice???

s_21ee5e23a91438fabd961ccf30a7959b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Ok, so following on from the thread about Johnson and Friends (a deeply disturbing show) I wanna see if anyone can remember this thing that used to be on Irish TV from the early to mid nineties that none of my friends can remember.

It was an Irish-made kid's program that was pretty much like a soap opera, but with puppets - weird looking puppets, albeit ones that were supposed to be humans. No talking tractors or accordians flying out of people's arses to offer advice on moral dilemmas or anything. It was set mainly in a house by the seaside - if I recall correctly there was a maritime feel to the whole thing - and I think the main male protagonist had gingery puppet hair. I seem to remember it having sorta dark spooky plotlines and looking back, though my judgement is probably clouded by nostalgia, it was very edgy.

Oh, and my memory is really struggling here, but I think it might have been in both English and Irish, or maybe some of the characters in the show talked in Irish sometimes but it was mostly in English. I seem to remember Irish being involved in some shape or form, but not to a great extent, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it. I could be wrong about that though.

Any ideas?

Hmm the rimhni riddle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Yeah, sounds like the Rimini Riddle. Some of the Pajo's Junkbox people were involved in that, as far as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eva Lambert

Rimini Riddle Pictures on www.noellambertpuppettheatre.com
    Click on Productions for some pictures of Rimini puppets Vera, Rory and some of the others or Click on Gallery, Find at the bottom of webpage "go to more pictures click here". Hope you enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eva Lambert

No Irish in Rimini Riddle go to
    www.noellambertpuppettheatre for pictures. Click on productions or gallery.
    Hope you enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Thanks for those pictures ! I'd forgotten how oddly shaped their heads were :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

any actual videos of rimini riddle itself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

rimini or padjo i'd say....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I never made the connection before but Aunt Vera looks like Morag from Home and Away! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

tk123 wrote: »
    I never made the connection before but Aunt Vera looks like Morag from Home and Away! :D

I can remember thinking that when it was on. Those puppets freaked the hell out of me, never liked the show because of it and gave up watching it after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yrrab30

Hi guys who in RTE do i email bout this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Unpossible wrote: »
    No I think Rimini Riddle also came in an Irish version, but it was after the series was shown in english.

Wasn't "Royal blue" the magic phrase from otto?

edit: also who was that main bad guy, otto used to be one of his henchmen or something
    I remember he taught a magic spell to Leo, if he said "royal blue" to someone they would drop anything that they were holding at the time.
    Those puppets still look freaky, I never forgot the really weird wispy hair.

Was it on this show or Pajo where one of the characters accidentally shot himself in the face and died. Either God or an angel(female) came and told him it wasn't his time to die yet and brought him back to life.

Was it on this show or Pajo where one of the characters accidentally shot himself in the face and died. Either God or an angel(female) came and told him it wasn't his time to die yet and brought him back to life.

Bloody hell - shot themself in the face on a kids show?! Only on RTE!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Ok, so following on from the thread about Johnson and Friends (a deeply disturbing show) I wanna see if anyone can remember this thing that used to be on Irish TV from the early to mid nineties that none of my friends can remember.

It was an Irish-made kid's program that was pretty much like a soap opera, but with puppets - weird looking puppets, albeit ones that were supposed to be humans. No talking tractors or accordians flying out of people's arses to offer advice on moral dilemmas or anything. It was set mainly in a house by the seaside - if I recall correctly there was a maritime feel to the whole thing - and I think the main male protagonist had gingery puppet hair. I seem to remember it having sorta dark spooky plotlines and looking back, though my judgement is probably clouded by nostalgia, it was very edgy.

Oh, and my memory is really struggling here, but I think it might have been in both English and Irish, or maybe some of the characters in the show talked in Irish sometimes but it was mostly in English. I seem to remember Irish being involved in some shape or form, but not to a great extent, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it. I could be wrong about that though.

Any ideas?
    mmm rings a bell for me too does the morbegs sound right?

mmm rings a bell for me too does the morbegs sound right?

We've already established it's Rimini Riddle! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Dilín ó deamhas was a weird show.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

Was just trying to think of the name of this program today. Found this on youtube, it was just uploaded yesterday:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Lol with years of effort I had managed to block out the horror of Rimini Riddle. Thanks for bringing it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

How did I ever forget that freaky show.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Claudia Carroll (Nicola from Fair City) did the voice of Aunt Vera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mad show, I seem to recall an episode where Otto was stuck in some alternate dimension..or something to that effect. Maybe my mind is warped from that show though, quite possible. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I use to watch Rimini Riddle on sunday mornings on Rte back around 94'. I never liked the show but I found myself and sister watching it every sunday morning. That Otto character that the youngest one kept so close to him was abit freakish. Then the teenager older brother with his headphones on 100% of the time. Ugh the thoughts of that show gives me the creeps....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

Mikosyko wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the puppet in Deep Fried Swamp? Ginger puppet along with an old man, Mossy Ferguson! :p

"Hungry for the ball lads, hungry for the ball!!!" :D

That puppet you were thinking of was called Basher later on he did some kind of children's art show which aired on the den round 2003/04 or so. He emerged from The Swamp as it was called along with Mossy ferguson but forgot what the name of the main presenter was - it was hilarious I found it more hilarious than the den!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

Rimini Riddle aired on a saturday in 1992 then moving to the Friday 5:55pm slot in 1994 which was followed by a repeat in that same year on a sunday at the same time as friday.

For those of you seeking out nostalgic programmes I would advise going to the Irish Times Archive yes you have to pay but there is a loophole if you are an member or external member of your college library you can pay for that membership and then go through to the Irish Times archive and see what you were watching over the years gone by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Hope no one was planning on sleeping tonight

https://vimeo.com/134085100

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Otto......shudderrrr

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

otto.jpg?w=209&h=300

Advertisement