Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

antidepressants - your experience?

• 10-08-2020 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

can I ask what people's experiences have been with antidepressants? doc wants to prescribe one to my mate - he is not sure which one would be best.. i know they affect people differently..

he is v anxious.. amongst other things - but thats his main symptom I think - and -ve thoughts..

Lexapro, Prozac etc have been mentioned..

Just wondering what other people's experiences are?

He is worried about side effects like sleep disturbances, weight gain, sleepiness etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

there is no catch all and the same medication can affect different patients in a different manner.
    Ignore the scare stories, they always tend to focus on the negative and drown out the benefit that those meds bring many people.
    I know in my own case it was a couple of tries before I got one that suited me.

The GP will prescribe your friend a med, let the diagnosis and the GP guide that decision.
    I'd advise your friend to keep a journal even as a note on their phone to keep track of any impact the med has.
    Positive and negative.

I know you probably don't want your question lost in the midst of a thread?
    But, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564333
    Post it there, you will get good advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I've been on Prozac, Zoloft, and Lexapro. They sort of work but generally take a month to have any noticeable effect. It's really trial and error, some people don't have any improvement whereas someone taking the same drug might feel better after a few days.

When I was on Prozac though, it increased my risk of suicide. First time I ever attempted and it's known to do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I've been on Prozac, Zoloft, and Lexapro. They sort of work but generally take a month to have any noticeable effect. It's really trial and error, some people don't have any improvement whereas someone taking the same drug might feel better after a few days.

When I was on Prozac though, it increased my risk of suicide. First time I ever attempted and it's known to do that.

I was on sertraline for three years, initially the side effects were horrible, then I turned into a death wish lunatic, i weened off them a few months back and happy I’ve done it, but to be fair they got me through a tough time and honestly if you’re brave enough to admit you might need them, I believe you probably do, and you can stop taking if they don’t work or they help enough to heal in some way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Your friends milage may vary, but a gp will usually start with lowest dose of whatever is deemed appropriate with fortnightly gp visits to monitor progress, there can be increased suicidal ideation briefly on some meds but positive effects are usually under reported much like reviews of anything else :rolleyes: I'm on prozac, it suited me from day one, we just adjusted the dose upwards then my local mental health unit at the hospital took over.. It is an entirely positive step by your friend, well done to them..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Heard good stuff about Escitalopram, I know someone on it and had no side effects apart from vivid dreams. I'd like that myself, never have dreams that I remember, but don't want to sound flippant eiter. Person taking this is a totally new person now compared to before.

They have their place I suppose, but it seems there are so many ADs out there that it's a difficult call to find the one that works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Antidepressants did not agree with me at all. Turned me into a zombie with no personality.

Personally, I wouldn't go back on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I was on sertraline for three years, initially the side effects were horrible, then I turned into a death wish lunatic, i weened off them a few months back and happy I’ve done it, but to be fair they got me through a tough time and honestly if you’re brave enough to admit you might need them, I believe you probably do, and you can stop taking if they don’t work or they help enough to heal in some way

On sertraline few months now, only minor issues, doc said only ones he's had least issues with, seems to be right in my experience, first time on ssri's

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    On sertraline few months now, only minor issues, doc said only ones he's had least issues with, seems to be right in my experience, first time on ssri's

Yes don’t get me wrong they helped I was on them 3 years but in the end I was on the max dose and boozing like a fish so I had to say enough was enough maybe they’d just run their course for me

Yes don’t get me wrong they helped I was on them 3 years but in the end I was on the max dose and boozing like a fish so I had to say enough was enough maybe they’d just run their course for me

What mg? 150 myself. Boozing wouldn't have helped, gave up few years ago, still be hanging for a pint now and again

What mg? 150 myself. Boozing wouldn't have helped, gave up few years ago, still be hanging for a pint now and again

200 I think but they just stopped doing anything, they bloated me aswell

• Advertisement

200 I think but they just stopped doing anything, they bloated me aswell

I'm bloating as well, but to fair, I'm also over eating, and exercising less

I'm bloating as well, but to fair, I'm also over eating, and exercising less

to be honest wanderer that's what did it for me, i had been a decent runner up until my issues, i felt the sertraline was killing my energy all the time and just making me hungry, then the booze then the bloat and my dose kept going up.
    It was a vicious circle, i tried counselling but it wasn't for me, and a shrink would cost way too much. Looking back i would have come off them earlier given the chance and tried something else but we're all different, by the way coming off them was a bit rough but not anywhere near as bad as i thought just in case anyone was wondering but i did wean under the gp's instruction.

to be honest wanderer that's what did it for me, i had been a decent runner up until my issues, i felt the sertraline was killing my energy all the time and just making me hungry, then the booze then the bloat and my dose kept going up.
    It was a vicious circle, i tried counselling but it wasn't for me, and a shrink would cost way too much. Looking back i would have come off them earlier given the chance and tried something else but we're all different, by the way coming off them was a bit rough but not anywhere near as bad as i thought just in case anyone was wondering but i did wean under the gp's instruction.

its zapping my energy also, but again to be fair, i struggle with fatigue anyway, i try to push my way through it, but that has limitations, sometimes i just dont have it in me. everything closing hasnt helped either, having no gym, pool, hill walking club, mountain biking etc, has knocked me back, but im slowly getting going again, still no gym or pool though, they reopened over the last few weeks, but i havent been yet. its difficult to get me going again when i stop.

counselling has always been a positive experience for myself, actually heading to one of my therapists this morning, the free one, private mental services can be stupid expensive, mines 70 an hour.

its my first ssri, so im a little concerned about coming off them, i was very hesitant to go them in the first place, was on an alternative for a couple of years, extremely mild, but did help, but they ran out of working a few months ago, hence the change over. i ll come off sertraline slowly, just to be sure, i went on them slowly and gradually. no major side effects, but there are some, as mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for all the replies.. will digest and pass on a summary..

hope ye are all feeling ok

sporina wrote: »

I wish your friend the best of luck and am glad he has a friend looking out for him or her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

sporina wrote: »

Is your friend serious about getting better?
    A GP isnt qualified in mental health.
    You need a proper psychologist/Psychiatrist. In my and my familys experience, they arent available in the HSE/DoE. These lads are all just turning over paperwork to get their experience to pass their exams.

You have to pay for a good psychologist. In my experience (Cipramil/Effexor) I was wandering the world like a Zombie, I have two years of living my life in flat with no recollection of what I did or saw for two years. Cipramil is now withdrawn after some wealthy young adult killed his ex's new boyfriend and then himself. Effexor was a nightmare to come off. I was violent argumentative and aggressive. Once you go on them, you may as well resign yourself that you are on them for life.

My mothers gardener saw me and brought me to an acupuncturist and that is when things started to lift. Now I trained as an acupuncturist and loved every minute of it. Its not for everyone and the system conditions you to distrust alternative medicine and the doctor is never wrong.

My family later paid for a private psychologist and I got a proper diagnosis of Aspergers (under DSM-IV and DISCO 10), new diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (under DSM - V). Could have had it years ago if I wasnt messing around with HSE wasters.

The problem with acupuncture as a job is the poor arent smart enough to seek out an alternative and the wealthy wont pay.

You need a proper psychologist/Psychiatrist. In my and my familys experience, they arent available in the HSE/DoE. These lads are all just turning over paperwork to get their experience to pass their exams.

You have to pay for a good psychologist. In my experience (Cipramil/Effexor) I was wandering the world like a Zombie, I have two years of living my life in flat with no recollection of what I did or saw for two years. Cipramil is now withdrawn after some wealthy young adult killed his ex's new boyfriend and then himself. Effexor was a nightmare to come off. I was violent argumentative and aggressive. Once you go on them, you may as well resign yourself that you are on them for life.

My mothers gardener saw me and brought me to an acupuncturist and that is when things started to lift. Now I trained as an acupuncturist and loved every minute of it. Its not for everyone and the system conditions you to distrust alternative medicine and the doctor is never wrong.

My family later paid for a private psychologist and I got a proper diagnosis of Aspergers (under DSM-IV and DISCO 10), new diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (under DSM - V). Could have had it years ago if I wasnt messing around with HSE wasters.

The problem with acupuncture as a job is the poor arent smart enough to seek out an alternative and the wealthy wont pay.

that's what bugs me about all this skooter, i've had issues for years and like you have tried alot of things in desperation, but in my circumstances i just can't afford the help i need, as in a psychologist/Psychiatrist.
    If i had the money, i deffo think this is the best route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for that - hope you are feeling better now..

my friend is serious about getting better but scared of meds.. too € for him to go private but I hear you...

on a side note, I think that acupuncture is becoming an accepted therapeutic method in health care nowadays.. I know that doctors in pain management refer patients to some v highly skilled acupuncturists - some are listed with health insurers like Laya etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Finding the right medication/dosage can be a tough and lengthy process. One fella I know spent two years trying a variety of combinations before he eventually found what works for him and thankfully he's in a much better place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Cipramil is now withdrawn after some wealthy young adult killed his ex's new boyfriend and then himself.
    Cipramil has not been withdrawn. It is still licensed and in use.

Many people take it or other antidepressants and get benefit, then come off them. Often medication is the crutch they need to get to a point where they can do the things like talk therapy and lifestyle change that bring about the real transformation. Antidepressants can be part of the solution but aren’t a solution on their own, which is what some people expect.

Alcohol is a factor in a lot of killings but it hasn’t been banned.

• Advertisement

gps are exactly that, general practitioners, they receive basic training in most health issues, including mental health, it is true that they have received dreadful training in the past regarding mental health, but so to did the mental health professionals themselves. its just the limitations of the system, and where we are regarding research etc, i.e. its an on going cycle of research, and it can be difficult to get the findings from research through the system, into the gp system, but it is getting better. my own doctor is actually very good regarding mental health issues, as he has had some relatively minor issues himself regarding his own mental health, and the fact, hes just a good doctor. you ll find most gps have their own personal favorite area(s) in medicine, ideally, try find one that has a great interest in mental health issues, not easy at times, but they do exist.

even though some professionals would be just trying to feather their own nest, these people are few and far between in the world, thank god, this goes for all professionals in all fields, including in medicine. i personally believe, most if not all doctors ive ever met are truly kind and caring people, and do their best at any given time, its a very difficult and stressful profession, particularly right now. im sorry you and your family have had experienced such difficulties with our health system, its a wreck of a system, my own doctor completely agrees with this, he has told me in the past, we need a system reset, urgently, but elements of it are just highly dysfunctional, in particular in regards mental health. i actually know some mental health professionals working within the system, burn out rates are extremely high, some needing mental health services themselves after the fact. in my own estimations, i believe our mental health services immediately requires an injection of multiples of billions, which of course isnt gonna happen, so.....

im only on ssri's for a few months, first time ever, i know i ll be off them eventually, i guess its about creating and learning coping strategies until then, in order to do so, thats no problem for me, it ll just take time.

im very open to alternatives, after engaging in some of them regarding my own mental health, generally ive had very pleasant experiences, this has also included alternative medicine, but it sometimes has limitations, my doctor has also encouraged and supported alternatives, these doctors do exist, just keep searching. i have engaged in acupuncture, it was very relaxing, family members have also trained in it.

unfortunately our health system has limitations and voids, the peer reviewed system of research has all sorts of faults and limitations, so to has the whole system, including the pharmaceutical industry. unfortunately the move of allowing large corporations to provide us with many aspects of our health care systems needs, is slowly starting to fail, i suspect this will again be highlighted when a current vaccine is discovered, i think we ll see all sorts of truly disgusting behavior occurring from large corporations and governments, globally. its a mess really, and very complex to try unwind.

id have to completely disagree with your last statement, id have to completely agree with noam chomsky here, as ive had similar life experiences myself, some of the most intelligent people ive ever met have actually been long term unemployed, they can be extremely well informed and knowledgeable, including in alternatives. its important to remember, some research is showing up to 80% of people on the spectrum, have experienced long term unemployment, i.e. theres a very good chance, many long term unemployed and in fact, many amongst prison populations, are in fact autistic, but undiagnosed, therefore untreated. i come from a highly disadvantaged area myself, filled with undiagnosed this that and the other thing, it leads to highly dysfunctional and tragic behavior, and sadly also tragic outcomes. im sure some wealthy do indeed engage in alternatives, im aware jobs did, just before his death

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Just a note on this. While I do suffer from mental health issues myself, this example is totally unrelated so I apologize in that regard.

I tore the meniscus in my knee last year playing football, 3 months of dull pain that got worse rather than better. Got CT scan, did what doctor told, saw physio etc. Got told I would probably need surgery. Too expensive here (live abroad) to get it done right away so I resigned myself to another couple of months of pain.

Friends wife had a mate who did acupuncture and mentioned it might help. I was skeptical to the point I pretty much laughed when she mentioned it. In the end I caved from peer pressure and said f**k it, it can't make it any worse. Did 4 sessions over the space of 10 days. Pain completely gone, my knee was literally brand new. I could full on sprint, whereas before I couldn't jog 10 yards without a crippling sharp pain.

My mind was blown, the stuff is literal black magic. Can't comment on whether it would help with mental health related issues, but I can vouch that it's certainly not bulls**t. And this coming from someone who would have never even entertained the idea. Next time I'm feeling **** I'll definitely giving it a try.

Just a note on this. While I do suffer from mental health issues myself, this example is totally unrelated so I apologize in that regard.

I tore the meniscus in my knee last year playing football, 3 months of dull pain that got worse rather than better. Got CT scan, did what doctor told, saw physio etc. Got told I would probably need surgery. Too expensive here (live abroad) to get it done right away so I resigned myself to another couple of months of pain.

Friends wife had a mate who did acupuncture and mentioned it might help. I was skeptical to the point I pretty much laughed when she mentioned it. In the end I caved from peer pressure and said f**k it, it can't make it any worse. Did 4 sessions over the space of 10 days. Pain completely gone, my knee was literally brand new. I could full on sprint, whereas before I couldn't jog 10 yards without a crippling sharp pain.

My mind was blown, the stuff is literal black magic. Can't comment on whether it would help with mental health related issues, but I can vouch that it's certainly not bulls**t. And this coming from someone who would have never even entertained the idea. Next time I'm feeling **** I'll definitely giving it a try.

got dry needling done, tis similar but different, worked for some things, failed on others, interesting though, nothing worse than constant pain

that's what bugs me about all this skooter, i've had issues for years and like you have tried alot of things in desperation, but in my circumstances i just can't afford the help i need, as in a psychologist/Psychiatrist.
    If i had the money, i deffo think this is the best route

You are in a tough spot here. you cannot access services without a proper psychologists report, like the National Learning Network.

This is why I say 3 types of people get autism. The poor the middle and the wealthy. Nobody cares about the poor and they dont have the intelligence to challenge and the articulation to challenge the system. they end up in the mental health services. By some miracle they do get a DoE/HSE psychologist, they get denied because the system doesnt want them diagnosed and to accommodate them. This comes back to haunt them later in life.

The wealthy dont want to know about it and they pay the system to make it go away. They pay psychologist to say it is not there but the psychologist still prescribes the regular treatment (CBT/rehabilitation) but without using the dirty word "autism".
    The middle adapt to the condition and get and work with all the services. They fair the best because they adapt to it. They have enough education and articulation to challenge the Doctors and educational system.

A psychologist report is cheap at a grand compared to living out a life of misery with untreated Higher functioning Autism.

echo beach wrote: »
    Cipramil has not been withdrawn. It is still licensed and in use.

Alcohol is a factor in a lot of killings but it hasn’t been banned.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/killers-mum-blames-antidepressants-tragic-5695361

I thought it was after the above incident. It certainly should be and should be done after Lexapro. That is demon to get off of.

We arent talking about alcohol, we are talking about antidepressants.

This is why I say 3 types of people get autism. The poor the middle and the wealthy. Nobody cares about the poor and they dont have the intelligence to challenge and the articulation to challenge the system. they end up in the mental health services. By some miracle they do get a DoE/HSE psychologist, they get denied because the system doesnt want them diagnosed and to accommodate them. This comes back to haunt them later in life.

Again, the poor are not poor due to a lack of intelligence, many complex disorders such as our own are at play, also including learning disabilities etc. Many of these would be genetically passed on, leading to generations of long term unemployment. There's very little data on this due to the fact, most are simply undiagnosed, it ultimately shows a catastrophic multi system failure within our most critical of services, I. E. Educational systems, welfare systems, legal systems, health care systems etc. Then of course there's rising inequality issues, particularly amongst those classes. I do think theres an element of truth in what you're saying about the system not wanting to diagnosis, if I've spotted this, I'm sure a sh1t load of others have to, long go.

gps are exactly that, general practitioners, they receive basic training in most health issues, including mental health, it is true that they have received dreadful training in the past regarding mental health, but so to did the mental health professionals themselves.

im only on ssri's for a few months, first time ever, i know i ll be off them eventually, i guess its about creating and learning coping strategies until then, in order to do so, thats no problem for me, it ll just take time.

id have to completely disagree with your last statement, id have to completely agree with noam chomsky here, as ive had similar life experiences myself, some of the most intelligent people ive ever met have actually been long term unemployed, they can be extremely well informed and knowledgeable, including in alternatives. its important to remember, some research is showing up to 80% of people on the spectrum, have experienced long term unemployment, i.e. theres a very good chance, many long term unemployed and in fact, many amongst prison populations, are in fact autistic, but undiagnosed, therefore untreated. i come from a highly disadvantaged area myself, filled with undiagnosed this that and the other thing, it leads to highly dysfunctional and tragic behavior, and sadly also tragic outcomes. im sure some wealthy do indeed engage in alternatives, im aware jobs did, just before his death

How would you feel if your doctor rejected your psychologist report without reading it? Then was forced to read it and still spelt Aspergers wrong? It gets worse, then had to ask me with 110 points in my leaving cert to spell it. That is how bad we are talking about.

Good luck with the SSRI's I had terrible problems getting off them. The withdrawal is terrible.

The vast majority of poor people do what they are told by professionals. Once you blind a person with science the vast majority of people accept whatever they are being told. Yes there will be one or two who buck the system but the majority will go with the herd.

Again, the poor are not poor due to a lack of intelligence, many complex disorders such as our own are at play, also including learning disabilities etc. Many of these would be genetically passed on, leading to generations of long term unemployment. There's very little data on this due to the fact, most are simply undiagnosed, it ultimately shows a catastrophic multi system failure within our most critical of services, I. E. Educational systems, welfare systems, legal systems, health care systems etc. Then of course there's rising inequality issues, particularly amongst those classes. I do think theres an element of truth in what you're saying about the system not wanting to diagnosis, if I've spotted this, I'm sure a sh1t load of others have to, long go.

There is a massive difference between the treatment the doctors child gets and the unemployed persons child gets. The doctor has the background and education and money to challenge the system. Poorer people are told to geo with the system. My parents are terrible sheeple when it comes to this. You cannot challenge a doctor, the state, the church ..... the establishment. You tel the same crap to the doctor/lawyer/accountant, that is alright, he will be back with his solicitor in the morning or some sort of formal complaints proceedure

Advertisement