Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this a good deal? €400 budget

Options
  • 05-08-2020 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

On the dell outlet they have this spec'd -
    PROCESSOR: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Processor (Quad Core, Up to 3.60GHz, 6MB Cache, 15W)
    SOFTWARE: Windows 10 Home
    256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive Hard Drive
    8GB (2X4GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non ECC MEMORY
    15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti Glare LED Backlit Display LCD
    AMD Radeon Vega Graphics GRAPHICS
    Dell OutletInspiron 15 - 3585 Laptop

For approx 420e this looks like a good deal to me, or am I missing something, or could I get something better for the price?

Thanks for any guidance....

Comments

ok for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Doesn't seem bad. CPU is a few gens back but probably grand. I think it's more important to meet your needs for what you're doing. Like if it's for Netflix etc it'd be grand but if you're doing more demanding stuff it mightn't cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Grand, thanks. Its for my 12 year old for basic school work, basic coding and realistically roblox! I'm not prepared to spend more, and while I know the cpu isn't current, its benchmark test gives a reasonable result (a lot better then the current 12 year old laptop she has thats scoring around 600!)

Thanks for replies, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something silly about it, but I think for my needs, it seems a runner.

Yep I'd say it'll tick all your boxes so not a bad buy

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Yep I'd say it'll tick all your boxes so not a bad buy

Quick question, as now with reading reviews, i'm doubting myself! Is the Huawei matebook 14 on amazon for £500 worth the extra €100 difference for longetivity? When I look at benchmark test its 7048 Vs 6354 (dell) or rank is 574 vs 665. Cores, threads, ssd's all seem the same, but the matebook gets much better reviews on speed. Not sure what else to look at on comparisons.

Sorry for the questions....

• Advertisement

Glasso would be a mad fan of the matebook because of its metal build bit other than than that they're largely similar. The matebook has a 3500U I think which is probably a bit better than the 2500U considering how much better the 3000 desktop series was over the 2xxx. Glasso might have a better opinion but I don't know if it's worth the extra tbh. After currency is 550 quid like which is a fair significant increase

the magicbook / matebook has a lovely premium solid metal build, IPS screen for good viewing angles and contrast, very good battery life, is light and portable, very good keyboard and touchpad, backlit keyboard,
    windows fingerprint login instead of pin.

the cpu is set up with dual-channel ram and good cooling so it gets the very most out of the 3500u compared to a laptop that doesn't have that.

the 3500u is probably 15% to 20% more performant in lab conditions but as said the 3500u runs at its best in the magicbook/ matebook 14. can't say for the other laptop

if it's for a 12 year only and if the 100 euro makes a difference probably dont go for it but it's the laptop that would suit the average user very well.

the build quality you see and feel in everyday use and it's from the 950 euro plus price segment

Advertisement