Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Kilmartin, Dublin 15 a safe area to live ?

Options
  • 28-07-2020 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All,

Not trying to raise any conflict or debate but I just wanted a common view.

I am planning to buy a house in Kilmartin, Dublin 15, as there is a new dwelling coming up.

This area is close to Tyrrelstown. Wondering how safe is it to live in Kilmartin?

Also, from google maps the area seems to be quite remote. Will it worth buying a house in the area? Would be good to get a general opinion about the area as I am not very well acquainted.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

vvs09 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Not trying to raise any conflict or debate but I just wanted a common view.

I am planning to buy a house in Kilmartin, Dublin 15, as there is a new dwelling coming up.

This area is close to Tyrrelstown. Wondering how safe is it to live in Kilmartin?

Also, from google maps the area seems to be quite remote. Will it worth buying a house in the area? Would be good to get a general opinion about the area as I am not very well acquainted.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Is it the Bellingsmore development? If so it's close enough to tyrellstown for it to be not really remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vvs09

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Is it the Bellingsmore development? If so it's close enough to tyrellstown for it to be not really remote.

Yes, its Bellingsmore.

Thanks for confirming that the estate is not much remote. However, being close to Tyrellstown makes me concerned as Tyrellstown has a mixed reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Tyrrellstown isn't the most desirable area in Dublin, but I don't think it's actually unsafe so I wouldn't worry about that.

Before buying in Kilmartin/Bellingsmore, do your homework on the surrounding area - I think a lot of it is zoned for future housing so it won't be as rural and remote for long... there was also a proposal from the county council to build a large amount of social housing in the area.

I don't mean to be negative but that whole area will be completely different in 10 years so go in with your eyes open.

Edit: sorry, the social housing plans are actually for lands to the south of Tyrrellstown

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Kilmartin as an area doesn't really exist at the moment. It's just a rural area with fields and a couple of scattered houses. The development will be between Hollystown and Tyrrelstown.

I wouldn't be at all worried about Tyrrelstown.

Tyrrellstown isn't the most desirable area in Dublin, but I don't think it's actually unsafe so I wouldn't worry about that.

Before buying in Kilmartin/Bellingsmore, do your homework on the surrounding area - I think a lot of it is zoned for future housing so it won't be as rural and remote for long... there was also a proposal from the county council to build a large amount of social housing in the area.

I don't mean to be negative but that whole area will be completely different in 10 years so go in with your eyes open.

Edit: sorry, the social housing plans are actually for lands to the south of Tyrrellstown
    Thanks for the suggestion.

As you say that the council houses will be coming towards south of Tyrrelstown. I believe that should not be impacting the development and dwellings in Kilmartin/Hollystown. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Kilmartin as an area doesn't really exist at the moment. It's just a rural area with fields and a couple of scattered houses. The development will be between Hollystown and Tyrrelstown.

I wouldn't be at all worried about Tyrrelstown.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I would agree that Tyrrelstown is by no means unsafe. There have been a few incidents but without social media it would be unknown as it is by and large just a typical new middle class area. It is not like the areas that were built in the 80's , tyrrelstown has above average mean incomes for Ireland and has a lot of facilities in the area. As an area it is probably reaching its peak for its teenage population so like other areas before it is likely to settle further in the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RBKODIAN

Can you please share a link of where I can find the social housing information ? Thanks in advance!

We have been talking to couple of people in the neighbouring Hollywoorath development who have lived there since 2017 and they shared good reviews about the area . If that helps :)

RBKODIAN wrote: »
    We have been talking to couple of people in the neighbouring Hollywoorath development who have lived there since 2017 and they shared good reviews about the area . If that helps :)

Thanks for the reply. Its good to hear positive response.

• Advertisement

DO you know if Bellingsmore will have management fee / managment company for the estate ?

RBKODIAN wrote: »
    DO you know if Bellingsmore will have management fee / managment company for the estate ?

No, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭steve2012

I'm looking at bellingsmore also. Deposit is down. It's either bellingsmore or Hollywoodrath if I'm being honest.

Both developments are far enough from tyrrlestown. Bellingsmore is on the town land boarder. Hollystown is a middle class family area with a nice mix of Irish and emigrants that I believe mainly work in healthcare.

There shouldn't be any management fees that I'm aware of.

You wouldn't notice at the moment due to covid going on. But the area is over the Dublin airport flightpath, this will increase again at some stage. IV never heard complaints about it though and supposably residents get used to it quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Hollywoodrath resident here, across the road. (Odd the way estate agents and developers name areas - part of the future development of the estate will be on Hollystown Golf Club, it sits in between Hollywoodrath and Hollystown as the crow flies... But I guess it's naming conventions to avoid confusion in marketing.)

Firstly I'd recommend reading the Hollywoodrath thread here. Different developers but the topic of the area has come up a few times.

The whole area is marked for considerable development (beyond the already considerable development of Hollywoodrath, Bay Meadows and Bellingsmore itself). As well as the schools already in the area there's more set to be built I believe and the Fingal development plan is quite clear on what'll be going up around you. Well worth a read.

As for Tyrrelstown, this was a question I had when I moved to Hollywoodrath in the first phase of that estate. To be honest apart from a few teenage kids doing teenage kid things (which I grew up with in areas of D15 with a lot higher house prices!) it's fine. Tyrrelstown itself is actually very handy between the Supervalu, the Lidl, the (great) off license, butchers, take aways etc. The Tyrrelstown park - basically beside the schools across the road from Bellingsmore - is also really very nice to go for a walk in.

Most of the people buying in the area are first time buyers with young families. Good neighbors.

All in all as I've mentioned when asked in the HWR thread, the value proposition of the area is more house for your money with less of the desirability of the area you'd get if you bought in, say, Clonsilla or Delwood or similar (closer to Blanch village, the centre etc etc). There's about a 20-27% price per square foot reduction in the area for new, A-rated homes (versus a lot of fixer uppers, probate sales etc down below).

As long as that car-based experience and the location suit you, I'd recommend the area.

Re social housing provision, this arises in every new development. Either the developers need to allocate it in the estate or in another development somewhere and it's worth asking about, but no matter where you move if you're going to a new build estate the developer has to provision for social housing per the rules of planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

We've also put a deposit on a house in Bellingsmore.

I had a similar concern about the locality due to the stories going around about taxi robberies and a "gang" ruining the name of Tyrrelstown, which is a stones throw away from Bellingsmore. But, after a lot of consideration and discussions, the conclusion was that practically every new neighbourhood in Dublin with houses < 400k will be within a stones throw of trouble makers. Also, from what I can find relating to the actual trouble in Tyrrelstown, it is majorly overhypped due to social media and an element of racism. I've lived within bad areas and within stones throw of bad areas most of my life and have seen/heard worse things than what has been reported from Tyrrelstown. Hopefully the good community can nip the bad elements in the bud there and these new estates can help revitalise the local town.

I skimmed through the Local Area Plan for Kilmartin the other night. It sounds well thought out. Enforcing Biking infrastructure, parks, and low density housing. But the plan was made before Hollystown golf course went under. So, I'm wondering if the low density housing will also be enforced on that land? I hope so. I'm all for high density, in the right locations (I live in one now, beside train station). But this location is not right for it. Is there any further info available about the planning permission guidelines for Hollystown golf course lands?

koHd wrote: »
    We've also put a deposit on a house in Bellingsmore.

I had a similar concern about the locality due to the stories going around about taxi robberies and a "gang" ruining the name of Tyrrelstown, which is a stones throw away from Bellingsmore. But, after a lot of consideration and discussions, the conclusion was that practically every new neighbourhood in Dublin with houses < 400k will be within a stones throw of trouble makers. Also, from what I can find relating to the actual trouble in Tyrrelstown, it is majorly overhypped due to social media and an element of racism. I've lived within bad areas and within stones throw of bad areas most of my life and have seen/heard worse things than what has been reported from Tyrrelstown. Hopefully the good community can nip the bad elements in the bud there and these new estates can help revitalise the local town.

I skimmed through the Local Area Plan for Kilmartin the other night. It sounds well thought out. Enforcing Biking infrastructure, parks, and low density housing. But the plan was made before Hollystown golf course went under. So, I'm wondering if the low density housing will also be enforced on that land? I hope so. I'm all for high density, in the right locations (I live in one now, beside train station). But this location is not right for it. Is there any further info available about the planning permission guidelines for Hollystown golf course lands?

I'm unsure how strict they will be about low density. I know in the last year the contractor in Hollywoodrath for example got all the 3 bed semi's in his remaining phases to 3 bed terrace and end of terrace, which increases the density slightly.

Glenveagh own the lands of Hollystown golf course and they did attempt to go with a higher density planning of 253 residential units – 120 apartments and 133 houses. This was rejected, but I'm sure they'll resubmit at a certain stage and adjust what they need. I believe they also own the lands passed phase 2 of bellingsmore to the west, which will eventually be developed.

I believe there can only be a certain density on people within the area per 100 sqm due to the area being situated over the flight path.

Do you mind me asking which house type you've reserved?. Any word on when contracts will be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

steve2012 wrote: »
    I'm unsure how strict they will be about low density. I know in the last year the contractor in Hollywoodrath for example got all the 3 bed semi's in his remaining phases to 3 bed terrace and end of terrace, which increases the density slightly.

Glenveagh own the lands of Hollystown golf course and they did attempt to go with a higher density planning of 253 residential units – 120 apartments and 133 houses. This was rejected, but I'm sure they'll resubmit at a certain stage and adjust what they need. I believe they also own the lands passed phase 2 of bellingsmore to the west, which will eventually be developed.

I believe there can only be a certain density on people within the area per 100 sqm due to the area being situated over the flight path.

Do you mind me asking which house type you've reserved?. Any word on when contracts will be released.

We're going of an Elm type. Wanted a Beech, but they were all sold by the time we took this development option seriously. We had our hearts set on phase 3 of St. Joseph's, but the competition for places there is so much that we are worried we could put all our focus on it and end up with nothing. So Bellingsmore is a one in the hand is better than two in the bush scenario!

What about yourself? Glad to meet more potential neighbors :)

Hoping the development plans for the golf course are delayed enough that residents of Bellingsmore can have a say on the plans.

No idea on contracts timing. But with the first time buyers covid stimulus officially launching today, there might be a lot of activity in with contracts coming soon. I think things were a bit in limbo as I'm sure most buyers are using this stimulus.

Hoping the development plans for the golf course are delayed enough that residents of Bellingsmore can have a say on the plans.

Hollystown and Hollywoodrath resident groups have been active about it, driven obviously by residents, I'm sure they'd be happy to have more organised groups involved.

We're going of an Elm type. Wanted a Beech, but they were all sold by the time we took this development option seriously. We had our hearts set on phase 3 of St. Joseph's, but the competition for places there is so much that we are worried we could put all our focus on it and end up with nothing. So Bellingsmore is a one in the hand is better than two in the bush scenario!

What about yourself? Glad to meet more potential neighbors :)

No idea on contracts timing. But with the first time buyers covid stimulus officially launching today, there might be a lot of activity in with contracts coming soon. I think things were a bit in limbo as I'm sure most buyers are using this stimulus.

We had an elm on hold at the walk, but managed to get a beech. Glad to see some other potential buyers.

Unfortunately we won't qualify for anymore of the help to buy scheme due to not working up enough tax (would have got the full amount in the new year). But we're still going ahead with everything.

There's a nice community around hollystown so I'd imagine everyone should have a good say on what happens around the golf course.

We had an elm on hold at the walk, but managed to get a beech. Glad to see some other potential buyers.

Unfortunately we won't qualify for anymore of the help to buy scheme due to not working up enough tax (would have got the full amount in the new year). But we're still going ahead with everything.

There's a nice community around hollystown so I'd imagine everyone should have a good say on what happens around the golf course.

As with any developing areas there's a few planning / council matters likely to exercise residents. The R121 was supposed to be made a cul de sac (so only residents would use it, reducing traffic flow) on the stretch between the schools roundabout and the swing roundabout (effectively, the stretch where HWR and Bellingsmore houses face one another) but it was nixed, mixture of residents from further up in old Hollystown not wanting to have to drive around and concerns from people inside the HWR estate that it would be used as a rat run alternative and a few moans about the alternative route a bus would need to take. I'd say it'll need to be looked at again in a big way once Bellingsmore houses come onstream, as now you'll have another estate entrance plus houses driveways on both sides of the road facing onto a road that people genuinely bomb down.

Expect resistance and rows over that...

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »
    As with any developing areas there's a few planning / council matters likely to exercise residents. The R121 was supposed to be made a cul de sac (so only residents would use it, reducing traffic flow) on the stretch between the schools roundabout and the swing roundabout (effectively, the stretch where HWR and Bellingsmore houses face one another) but it was nixed, mixture of residents from further up in old Hollystown not wanting to have to drive around and concerns from people inside the HWR estate that it would be used as a rat run alternative and a few moans about the alternative route a bus would need to take. I'd say it'll need to be looked at again in a big way once Bellingsmore houses come onstream, as now you'll have another estate entrance plus houses driveways on both sides of the road facing onto a road that people genuinely bomb down.

Expect resistance and rows over that...

"Moans", there weren't moans, they were genuine concerns over bus routing.

"Moans", there weren't moans, they were genuine concerns over bus routing.

I reckon some people were using the bus the way others suddenly find an interest in local bats when a planning application comes up. Re-routing a bus, or installing a bus gate, seems a lot more doable and palatable than scraping some unfortunate off the road one of these days. I've had 4x head-on near misses now on that road where someone is slowing to turn into their driveway and an impatient sod decides to overtake them at aggressive speed without due care and attention. And I wouldn't fancy being the people who have houses up at the bend in the road. Now there's gonna be houses and estate entrances on both sides of the road. There was a reason the original local development plan envisioned cul de sacing. There's a variety of solutions that will be thought of the day after someone gets creamed.

I reckon some people were using the bus the way others suddenly find an interest in local bats when a planning application comes up.

Pretty dumb logic as it's a genuine concern in an area which only relatively recently got a bus service.

Pretty dumb logic as it's a genuine concern in an area which only relatively recently got a bus service.

Some, not all, but some.

And there are plenty of solutions to allow you to have a bus route and simultaneously make the road safe. They'll do it eventually after someone gets hurt if they don't cop on once this estate is sold and there is double the local traffic trying to come and go alongside the speedy types driving by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deedy27

@Steve2012, any indication on move in dates for Phase 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Archie2020

Hi Everyone,

Am thinking of buying a house in phase 2in Bellingsmore but I was looking for your thoughts on something.

Does anyone know why , or have any thoughts on why, the houses in Bellingsmore are bigger & work out cheaper than Hollywoodrath across the road? Is it because the address for Bellingsmore will be Tyrellstown as opposed to Hollystown?

For example, you get more square footage on a 4 bed house in bellingsmore at a cheraper price when compared to a 4 bed house in Hollywoodrath with smaller square footage?

Its something that's been playing on my mind & Im wondering what the catch is.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.....

Archie2020 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Am thinking of buying a house in phase 2in Bellingsmore but I was looking for your thoughts on something.

Does anyone know why , or have any thoughts on why, the houses in Bellingsmore are bigger & work out cheaper than Hollywoodrath across the road? Is it because the address for Bellingsmore will be Tyrellstown as opposed to Hollystown?

For example, you get more square footage on a 4 bed house in bellingsmore at a cheraper price when compared to a 4 bed house in Hollywoodrath with smaller square footage?

Its something that's been playing on my mind & Im wondering what the catch is.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.....

Two different developers with different business models, if I had to guess. They may have also paid different amounts to buy the land at different times, for example. The actual quality of the construction is largely going to be determinate of the rating the homes get, and they're all A-rated.

Two different developers with different business models, if I had to guess. They may have also paid different amounts to buy the land at different times, for example. The actual quality of the construction is largely going to be determinate of the rating the homes get, and they're all A-rated.
    Thanks Nijmegan for your comments I never thought of that :)

Archie2020 wrote: »
    Thanks Nijmegan for your comments I never thought of that :)

The price difference I'd imagine would also be down to "what you get for your money"

The homes in Hollywoodrath all have a front drive. Can fit four cars in some of them. The gardens might be slightly bigger( not sure). And they have solar panels ( 5 on the older home I believe, 2 on the newer ones). There is also more open space in Hollywoodrath.

I was a fan of that estate but the remaining phase was changed by the developer so I personally opted for the larger home for in bellingsmore.

• Advertisement

The price difference I'd imagine would also be down to "what you get for your money"

The homes in Hollywoodrath all have a front drive. Can fit four cars in some of them. The gardens might be slightly bigger( not sure). And they have solar panels ( 5 on the older home I believe, 2 on the newer ones). There is also more open space in Hollywoodrath.

I was a fan of that estate but the remaining phase was changed by the developer so I personally opted for the larger home for in bellingsmore.

Hey Steve2012,

I am the same as you I had my heart set on hollywoodrath until I seen bellingsmore.

I agree on the open space in hollywoodrath and the gardens seem to be bigger than what you will get in bellingsmore.....my only concern with bellingsmore is the potential to extend the house at the back, I dont think bellingsmore will have the same potential as hollywoodrath when it comes to future expansion.

Do you mind me asking what type house you bought in bellingsmore? I was looking at the ash type myself but the ability to add an extension onto this type of house has cast some doubt for me....and I'm also concerned about what will happen to hollystown golf course in the future.....although from what I hear any development of houses or apartments on this golf course will be on the opposite side of the golf course to bellingsmore if that makes sense

Advertisement