Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St.Joseph’s Clonsilla

Options
  • 16-06-2020 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Is anyone in the hunt for one of the new houses in Clonsilla. I spoke with the EA and phase 2 is being launched soon. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the new development and what it will be like as an area? The houses look good and it is close to the train line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm not house hunting so no direct experience with the properties itself but the location is as good as you'd want for Dublin 15. Access to the very scenic Royal Canal is minutes away for long walks or runs and as you stated, train less than 10 minutes walk. There are established residential communities nearby such as Windermere and Portersgate along with the adjacent hospital meaning a lot of wooded/open green areas that makes the overall location look attractive. The shops at Ongar(Dunnes etc) are a 5 min drive or 15 min walk.

The appearance of the built houses and landscaping as I walk by daily seem of a very high standard. It looks like they are building apartment blocks now at the entrance to the development so I don't know how dominant they will become.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm not house hunting so no direct experience with the properties itself but the location is as good as you'd want for Dublin 15. Access to the very scenic Royal Canal is minutes away for long walks or runs and as you stated, train less than 10 minutes walk. There are established residential communities nearby such as Windermere and Portersgate along with the adjacent hospital meaning a lot of wooded/open green areas that makes the overall location look attractive. The shops at Ongar(Dunnes etc) are a 5 min drive or 15 min walk.

The appearance of the built houses and landscaping as I walk by daily seem of a very high standard. It looks like they are building apartment blocks now at the entrance to the development so I don't know how dominant they will become.

Thanks for the info, yes the apartments could be quite dominant if overlooking ones back garden but I dont believe they will be going too high,

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭sob1467

I've been looking at these but think they're a bit overpriced. Does anyone agree?

Like these houses are on Meath/Kildare border, 15km out of town and are costing over €300k for a two bed, the whole way up to half a million for a four bed...

Prices below:
    "*€315,000 for a mid-terraced two-bed spanning 1,005 sq ft.

*A three-bed mid-terraced style with 1,083 sq ft of living space costs from €340,000.

*A three-bed end-of-terrace design measuring 1,260 sq ft is priced from €390,000, while a semi-detached version of that style is selling for €405,000.

*Prices for a 1,491-sq ft, three-bed semi with a study and two living rooms start at €435,000, while the sole four-bed detached style in this tranche measures 1,561 sq ft and costs from €500,000."

sob1467 wrote: »
    I've been looking at these but think they're a bit overpriced. Does anyone agree?

Like these houses are on Meath/Kildare border, 15km out of town and are costing over €300k for a two bed, the whole way up to half a million for a four bed...

Prices below:
    "*€315,000 for a mid-terraced two-bed spanning 1,005 sq ft.

*A three-bed mid-terraced style with 1,083 sq ft of living space costs from €340,000.

*A three-bed end-of-terrace design measuring 1,260 sq ft is priced from €390,000, while a semi-detached version of that style is selling for €405,000.

*Prices for a 1,491-sq ft, three-bed semi with a study and two living rooms start at €435,000, while the sole four-bed detached style in this tranche measures 1,561 sq ft and costs from €500,000."

I know what you mean but there are very few developments as cheap as this, that is just the going rate it seems, properties in Lucan, leixluo, hollystown, maynooth are all more expensive, and I get what you say about the location but it is on the train line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would consider whats in range of the M3 Parkway also. Not better but different.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    I would consider whats in range of the M3 Parkway also. Not better but different.

What development is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sorry I didn't realise you were only looking at new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

The new Lidl will be almost next door too, once it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

We are in an adjoining development to St Josephs, I have to say I pass the site every day and the finish of the estate and landscaping is really impressive it looks really well (actually 1000% better than ours and we paid the same amount and our estate is finished 2 years), the estate will be linked to the Canal and the estate behind for access to Hansfield village and train station whenever they start on the non residential section of the SDZ, location wise if you are set on D15 (outside of Castleknock) Clonsilla is a decent area, no proper village centre but they are building a new Lidl and coffee shop very close to that development and as always they are promising to Dart the train line beside here in the coming years (albeit who knows what transport projects will proceed when the Covid bill lands).
    Price wise they are in line what other developments in the area are seeking.

Only negative for me is there is one access road in and out of that estate and given the size of it I can imagine that will be a busy spot, we have the same issue in ours nearby, other roads exist but the developer refuses to open as they are building everywhere at the minute and like to store there cr*p on the road. Other than that best of luck with your search, IMO the development is in a great spot in terms of transport links, not far from a shop (when complete), access to the canal etc.

I would inquire about how many units are being held for social housing and what % are being sold on the private market, recently up here they have gotten very friendly with the likes of IRES Reit and the other Cuckoo funds so they like to bulk sell blocks of apartments/houses which get rented out with the majority done via HAP, not a major negative but you should make sure you get the full picture the mix of private/rented can sometimes be much higher than they let on. Hope that helps, happy house hunting

Thanks JammyD, I currently live in Castleknock and love the area but it is out of my budget, and clonsilla is 10 minutes out the road in fairness. It is one thing that is really noticeable in Dublin, a person can drive from Castleknock, to Ashton and onto Finglas in 10 minutes and the price difference is vast, all due to the locality name. I have been in touch with Savills and phase 2 in St.Joseph's is being released in the next few months, they have not confirmed pricing yet but it would not be a surprise if it increased as I think any property drops due to Covid will be on second hand properties, and not on new builds. That is great about Lidl and a coffee shop as it will really enhance the area.

• Advertisement

doogie! wrote: »
    Thanks JammyD, I currently live in Castleknock and love the area but it is out of my budget, and clonsilla is 10 minutes out the road in fairness. It is one thing that is really noticeable in Dublin, a person can drive from Castleknock, to Ashton and onto Finglas in 10 minutes and the price difference is vast, all due to the locality name. I have been in touch with Savills and phase 2 in St.Joseph's is being released in the next few months, they have not confirmed pricing yet but it would not be a surprise if it increased as I think any property drops due to Covid will be on second hand properties, and not on new builds. That is great about Lidl and a coffee shop as it will really enhance the area.

Yeah very much doubt there will be any price drops - no crystal ball but in that price range there is a lot of pent up demand especially amongst first time buyers.. are you set on a new build? there are always a few houses up for sale in Portersgate which is adjacent to St Josephs, very settled mature estate right beside the train station etc and price wise cheaper. Having bought a new build ourselves we will probably opt for a second hand property next, you'd be surprised the amount of work that still needs to go in when you kit out floors etc (you probably know all this) we easily sunk an additional 25-30k in the first year (albeit including appliances and furniture etc)

Yes i understand but I am single and 35 and just want to get on the ladder, I have been approved for a FTB grant so means I dont have to plough all of my savings into a deposit, the 2 bed in St'Joseph's will suit me perfect. They actually come with a number of units included:

''Kitchens will be fitted with the following appliances; integrated fridge freezer, electric oven, induction hob, integrated. dishwasher, washer / dryer and extractor fan (subject to signing contracts within 28 days)''

I also will apply for the Green Energy mortgage which is fixed for 5 years at 2.45% so a really good rate,

Yes i understand but I am single and 35 and just want to get on the ladder, I have been approved for a FTB grant so means I dont have to plough all of my savings into a deposit, the 2 bed in St'Joseph's will suit me perfect. They actually come with a number of units included:

''Kitchens will be fitted with the following appliances; integrated fridge freezer, electric oven, induction hob, integrated. dishwasher, washer / dryer and extractor fan (subject to signing contracts within 28 days)''

I also will apply for the Green Energy mortgage which is fixed for 5 years at 2.45% so a really good rate,

Ah bang on, with the HTB and if the developer offers the appliances your laughing! St Josephs is definitely a contender based on what your saying, there will also be a new estate Barnwell park launching soon - probably will be a bit cheaper than St Josephs but prices havent been released, they offer appliances etc also.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Luluk

Is anyone in the hunt for one of the new houses in Clonsilla. I spoke with the EA and phase 2 is being launched soon. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the new development and what it will be like as an area? The houses look good and it is close to the train line.

I bought one of the Pearl houses in the first phase and viewed the show house this week. I was very impressed with it. The house was spacious and well appointed. The prices are quite high, and there is also management fees to pay. I expect the shared areas will remain well maintained.

When I went to put the initial 5k deposit down on my house it was the last Pearl available and there was a long queue of people there (think there was also a 2 bed and a few of the more expensive houses left too). My impression then (March 2020) was that demand was very high. Covid may have reduced that somewhat. Hard to know what will happen to the prices in the second phase.

As other posters have said, it's a good location in terms of public transport and the canal. There's not a huge amount of choice out there for new houses that are (relatively) affordable. If you don't want to wait for new developments, I think it's a solid choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cilim75

Does anyone know what are management fees?

The Jade 2 Bed + Study 93 1,000 €325,000
    The Pearl 3 Bed 101 1,098 €345,000
    The Onyx 3 Bed 111 1,190 €400,000
    The Garnet 3 Bed 115 1,241 €415,000
    The Sapphire 3 Bed 117 1,259 €390,000
    The Opal 3 Bed 119 1,281 €410,000
    The Ruby 3 Bed + Study 139 1,491 €430,000
    The Amethyst 4 Bed 124 1,338 €450,000

Price increase just confirmed,

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Luluk

cilim75 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what are management fees?

These are the estimated fees I was given:

2 bed house: 462.25
    3 bed house: 539.35
    4 bed house: 616.36

1 bed apartment: 1211.71
    2 bed apartment: 1454.00
    3 bed apartment: 1696.41

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Not quite as clearcut as to say increase automatically. As quoted, new prices are below:
    Original prices below:
    The Jade 2 Bed + Study 93 1,000 €315,000
    The Pearl 3 Bed 101 1,098 €340,000
    The Emerald 3 bed 107 1,152 €355,000
    The Ruby 3 Bed + Study 139 1,491 €470,000
    The Diamond 4 Bed 124 1,338 €500,000

So in terms of those that were in both:

The Jade - Up 10k
    The Pearl - Up 5k
    The Onyx - Same
    The Garnet - Same
    The Sapphire - Same
    The Opal - Same
    The Ruby - Down 40k???

In reality there are some increases, but they're the exception, and the last decrease is bizarre unless there was a typo in the original list they emailed (quite possible, as 60k or more is a lot to pay for a study!)

did you got email from them today ? I was told they will send me an email last night over phone but haven't received one yet ?

• Advertisement

Yes got it from Savills

cython wrote: »
    Not quite as clearcut as to say increase automatically. As quoted, new prices are below:

Original prices below:

So in terms of those that were in both:

The Jade - Up 10k
    The Pearl - Up 5k
    The Onyx - Same
    The Garnet - Same
    The Sapphire - Same
    The Opal - Same
    The Ruby - Down 40k???

In reality there are some increases, but they're the exception, and the last decrease is bizarre unless there was a typo in the original list they emailed (quite possible, as 60k or more is a lot to pay for a study!)

Might be tactics upping the 2 beds so people will be tempted to going for a three bed with only 15k in the difference now,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

It is one thing that is really noticeable in Dublin, a person can drive from Castleknock, to Ashton and onto Finglas in 10 minutes and the price difference is vast, all due to the locality name.

To be fair, there's more than just a name difference between Castleknock & Finglas.

Best of luck with the house buying, they look like nice builds.

One thing I didn't like with the brochure is the pictures of the local amenities. They have Myos & the Anglers Rest in there as well as a picture of Castleknock village as opposed to Ongar & Clonsilla which are closer.

castleknock has more appeal so they are playing on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭sob1467

Probably not the right thread for it but for the cheapest 3 bed (€325,000) with the current central back mortgage rules you'd need a €84,000 salary assuming a 10% deposit.

For the cheapest 4 bed (€450,000) you'd need a €116,000 salary with a 10% deposit.

Not running down the area I'm currently renting in it, but it is close to impossible for sub €65k salaried people to afford even houses in Clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Naos wrote: »
    To be fair, there's more than just a name difference between Castleknock & Finglas.

Best of luck with the house buying, they look like nice builds.

One thing I didn't like with the brochure is the pictures of the local amenities. They have Myos & the Anglers Rest in there as well as a picture of Castleknock village as opposed to Ongar & Clonsilla which are closer.

Can this be reported to a body of some kind? That's false advertising.

It should be, totally misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Advertising Standards Authority,
    www.asai.ie
    However, who actually believes what they read in a Auctioneer’s brochure? They’re in the same category as Double Glazing and Second Car Sales.

They all use the same tactics up here, look at Barnwell Park, Hansfield Wood etc they all cite the amenities of the Phoenix park, great transport links etc. All marketing BS..

This was our brochure its the adjoining estate to St Josephs http://theparkhansfield.com/location/

Here 2 years - we still have no Park yet completed (ironic given its name) and I have never been able to get a 30 minute bus into town (at least an hour and can be up to 2 hours coming home) from the area. They also don't mention the 15-20 walk to the train station before you board and also trains never take 25 minutes and the timetable on the Dunboyne line is crap, last train is 6:30 / 7pm and no trains between 1 and 4 pm.

They also failed to mention they would sell 100 of the houses to a REIT and we would end up with a 60 / 40 % social private mix.

If you want a laugh the billboard is still up on the Allendale roundabout and says take the next left to the Park (this entrance still isn't open used by the builders to store cr*p). Definitely do your research, the glossy brochure exaggerates the positives which aren't always as convenient as they make out to be.

Saying that St Josephs looks like it will be a great estate from what I've seen of the build activity. Also Glenveagh are a far more reputable builder from what I can see of their other estates.

• Advertisement

After seeing virtual tours for Jade and Pearl, and having heard that there is no actual show house to see, I think I'll give it a miss for this phase.
    Jade hardly has any hall, you need to go through living room to get to kitchen. And they upped price for it.
    Good luck to anyone who is buying in this development.
    https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=BTRLQpBAzrW
    https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=V9k7kpeBFW3

Advertisement