Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Top Dog

wonski wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as you, and just stopped worrying about it and kept driving.
    Sounds like my normal approach to things (don't worry about things out of your control) so maybe I need to get back to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Top Dog wrote: »
    Sounds like my normal approach to things (don't worry about things out of your control) so maybe I need to get back to that :)

You should.

Some sort of extension for nct that expired during coronavirus /lift failure would be nice, but until then just keep doing what you have to do and yeah, go back to your regular approach ;)

Just realized my tax is just out, too. Unrelated, but is Shannon working and issue tax discs paid for online now?

Can't see meself paying for nothing again :)

Stay safe TopDog and don't worry too much ;)

Just realized my tax is just out, too. Unrelated, but is Shannon working and issue tax discs paid for online now?
    I believe they are - got 2 notifications (car & camper) on the 1st for Motor Tax renewal with online pin etc

Top Dog wrote: »
    I believe they are - got 2 notifications (car & camper) on the 1st for Motor Tax renewal with online pin etc

I just paid it now. At least I will have 2/3 in the window. Got email too, but wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You should.

Some sort of extension for nct that expired during coronavirus /lift failure would be nice, but until then just keep doing what you have to do and yeah, go back to your regular approach ;)

Shannon is working fine, got a disk in 2 days this week.
    I have no NCT though right now, I thought it better to have one disk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

My NCT will expire in 10 days time (unfortunately). I had a test booked for last Friday, but similar to others experiences, received a text starting all tests for the foreseeable future were cancelled.

I’m hoping Shane Ross puts an emergency clause in place that will extend disks for approximately 3 months just to get through the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Shannon is working fine, got a disk in 2 days this week.
    I have no NCT though right now, I thought it better to have one disk.

Same here. Tax disc came in jig time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

My NCT will expire in approx 10 days time unfortunately. I had a test booked for last Friday, but similar to others experiences, received a text starting all tests for the foreseeable future were cancelled.

I’m hoping Shane Ross puts an emergency clause in place that will extend disks for approximately 3 months just to get through the lockdown.

Shane Ross ...emergency ? ;)
    It would be great if the mupped came out of his rabbit hole and said something, is he even in the jurisdiction?.
    Its 8 days since the centre's were closed, and they still haven't updated their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭delboythedub

I was at a motor cycle race in Skerries a few years back were AXA insurance had a stand and I enquired about them continuing insuring older cars and was told to Make sure that tires were good and HAS CURRENT NCT CERT. interesting as I knew a guy years ago who was a Claims assessor for an insurance company and he told that when a claim comes in and its not a small one his job was to find a problem with the crashed car and i think an expired NCT would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

My NCT will expire in 10 days time (unfortunately). I had a test booked for last Friday, but similar to others experiences, received a text starting all tests for the foreseeable future were cancelled.

3 months is not sufficient for obvious reasons.
    Extending the certs for 6 months at the very least is what's recommended.
    Just like the British did.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Agreed. They were already miles behind with the lift fiasco, this closure is just adding to the backlog now. There's no way they'll be able to clear everything in a 3 month window.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Kivaro wrote: »
    Just like the British did.

Exactly. If it's only 3 months I'll be in trouble in 3 weeks time. Passed first part but lift inspection was cancelled.

If this makes you a little bit less worried I passed another checkpoint just now and after checking the discs the Gardaí said nothing about the NCT.

They were more interested about my license and where I go.

10 seconds later I was on my way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

I have been going through checkpoints regularly and only getting asked the where and why questions. I have a letter from my employer explaining my reasons for traveling that I have laminated and I clean it hand it to the Guard and take it back and clean it's again.

Only today I realised that I never changed my tax disc when it came in January and since be n getting waved through no questions asked on a expired since end Jan disc.

They don't care as long as you have a reason to be moving around . Probably would on insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

MY VRT inspection was cancelled, no option to rebook yet. I bet I'll still have to pay a late fine and claim it back when I do get the VRT done.

I better ring the insurance company tomorrow and see will they extend the 30 days on a UK reg.

Anyone get an extension of their insurance company before? Unchartered waters I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gardai waving people through checkpoints doesn't answer the question of what the insurance company will do if you crash with an expired NCT.

Life ain't always empty.

Gardai waving people through checkpoints doesn't answer the question of what the insurance company will do if you crash with an expired NCT.

People put too much faith in nct... If you have bald tires nct won't save you. Same with brakes etc.

If everyone stays the **** home then maybe chances of crashes are lower so we won't have to discuss it.

As things stand those who have to be on the road stay on the road, those who don't stay the **** out.

People driving to Centra on Sunday to grab a newspaper and a bottle of milk with a kid don't help. I see it every ****ing day.

NCT or not if at fault you had to worry about it regardless.

If not at fault then it is other party to worry about.

General advice is to not to crash and keep distance. And if those pricks driving to get a roll, a newspaper or a 1l milk could stay at home that would be great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mine's only a slight problem

NCT is due up in June, i booked it in for last weekend (obviously cancelled) so when it passed i'd get a 2yr ticket. If i can't get it done before June (month of registration) i'll only get a 1yr cert when it passes, wonder if they'll have any leniency on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

my nct is up on the 14th.I tried to book nct and said its closed. im an essential worker so I have to drive to work. the insurance better cover cars not just mine if anything happens.

People put too much faith in nct... If you have bald tires nct won't save you. Same with brakes etc.

The point isn't whether a car is roadworthy or not.

The point is that many policies have T&Cs which mean the insurer can reject a claim out of hand if the NCT is expired.
    If everyone stays the **** home then maybe chances of crashes are lower so we won't have to discuss it.

Meanwhile people still have to travel to essential work, food shopping, and medical appointments. Not helpful.
    If not at fault then it is other party to worry about.
    Right, because nobody who didn't cause an accident has ever suffered financial loss as a result.

Insurers (your own, and the other party's) with go to ANY length to avoid paying out a claim.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Mine's only a slight problem

NCT is due up in June, i booked it in for last weekend (obviously cancelled) so when it passed i'd get a 2yr ticket. If i can't get it done before June (month of registration) i'll only get a 1yr cert when it passes, wonder if they'll have any leniency on that?

Two chances of that I'm afraid. Useless Shane Ross can't even tell us whether we're legal to drive or not, or insured or not.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

garv123 wrote: »
    MY VRT inspection was cancelled, no option to rebook yet. I bet I'll still have to pay a late fine and claim it back when I do get the VRT done.

I better ring the insurance company tomorrow and see will they extend the 30 days on a UK reg.

Anyone get an extension of their insurance company before? Unchartered waters I guess.

The missus is still waiting on a text from Revenue of the amount to be paid after her VRT appointment for a motorbike. It's insured under the English plate and CN are happy with the situation 40 days further on from the date of first insurance.

Good news! (presuming all companies underwriting here are members of Insurance Ireland)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭wassie

The point isn't whether a car is roadworthy or not.

The point is that many policies have T&Cs which mean the insurer can reject a claim out of hand if the NCT is expired.

This.

Anyone who has an expired NCT should confirm in writing directly from their insurer that they will still have valid cover during this period.

You can not rely advice or statements from anyone else, whether it be the NCTS, Minister, Insurance Ireland or even this forum, regarding ones own validity of cover during this period of NCT closure.

wassie wrote: »
    This.

Anyone who has an expired NCT should confirm in writing directly from their insurer that they will still have valid cover during this period.

You can not rely advice or statements from anyone else, whether it be the NCTS, Minister, Insurance Ireland or even this forum, regarding ones own validity of cover during this period of NCT closure.

My insurer, 123.ie has a dedicated covid19 page. It says:

Medical or NCT tests. Customers unable to complete Medical or NCT tests will not be restricted from renewing their policies at this time. But we will ask for this in the future.

Which means it's fine.

They also extend all policies to business class 1 use automatically and few extra perks for essential workers.

Impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dominicbond

For customers of Allianz

NCT tests: We understand that customers are unable to undertake NCT tests due to the Government restrictions at this time; and so we would like to reassure our existing and new customers that car insurance cover will continue to be provided and maintained during this time.

https://www.allianz.ie/covid19/

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Is there any updates on the NCT situation from Liberty Insurance? There is a dedicated COVID-19 page on their website, but it only relates to keeping their employees safe, offices closed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Anyone here know if the NCT is cross recognised in the UK? I am re registering a car in the UK (bloody nightmare and one of the most bureaucratic processes I have ever seen in my life) but they need an mot certificate before they give me new plates. Can't insure it via English company till I have the plates but can't get those till mot is done. So need to insure it here and tax to drive it to the UK to then get the registration done. But I'm pretty sure there is an EU thing of cross recognition anyone aware of it? Otherwise I need to get two tests done and two sets of insurance and tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

wassie wrote: »
    This.

No, the Minister can issue an SI that NCTs are valid for an additional period and that will meet the requirement, insurance companies cannot say that is the wrong sort of NCT. However, he has to get off his butt and do this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement