Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Restaurant Recommendation thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I would second this. The food and staff are both lovely. It's not the "fanciest" place but it's really good Indian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Have been a few times and food and staff always great in fairness but my pet peeve is that main courses while relatively expensive don't automatically come with rice, you have to order and pay for that separately. Have basic rice included in the price with the option to upgrade to other fancier options.

I'll recommend Spice of India again, food and staff are excellent and you often see the same members which is a good sign. Was there for Sun lunch and it's phenomenal value, 2 course set menu for €15 with poppadoms and dips as a pre-starter included. Do well to get a main course takeaway for that now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure they charged us extra for rice?

my parents both went for the early bird (€25 for starter and main) and i ordered off the main menu, i think my starter and main came to €29 or €30. add in two (generous) glasses of wine (€7.50 each) and a bottle of non-alcoholic beer (probably a fiver) and that pretty much accounts for the €101 bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Mussoorie in Clonee has always been great for me.

The owner is a great personable chef and they always go beyond.

I've had them cater for us on a few occasions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭raheny red

Completely forgot about Spice of India's Sunday lunch. Must get stuck into that soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

Browne's still shuttered tonight, is this the end? It felt like it wasn't going to be around long even before what happened on Christmas Eve

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'd imagine there's a lot of work to be done inside after the Christmas Eve goings on and staff not too keen on coming back either. Just my assumptions, I don't know anything more than anyone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone was telling me there had been a sign in the place for months saying their card machine was broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

Sounds dodgy. You can pick up a sum up machine in Harvey Norman for around 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes.

It was going to be anyway, but the fella being gutted in the pass to the Kitchen has sort of dulled what was left of its appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Funnily enough I've seen those signs in Turkish barbers and Phone Accessory stores. And usually for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Why would the staff not want to come back? It isn't going to happen again.

Because they realise customers messing around with cards and, even worse, phone payments is a pain in the arse for cash paying customers stuck behind them in the queue?

I make a special effort to give custom to cash only businesses and wouldn't darken the door of a card only one (though the only ones I've ever encountered, once and never again, are 5 Guys and Boojum)

About two years ago I saw a recommendation for a hot dog place behind the Clonsilla Inn. Drove up, didn't see any obvious sign of a business, wrapped on the window of what appeared to be a kitchen to be told by the staff member to photo the QR Code in the window, order online and collect when ready.

Needless to say I laughed and told him I'd do without.

I seriously hope they've since gone out of business if that is how they want to treat customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Why would anyone want to go back?

No reflection on the business and best of luck to them, but given Tripadvisor lists almost 2,500 restaurants/cafes in Dublin, you wouldnt be short of choice.

Why would anyone want to go back?

Eh, they liked the food maybe?

I certainly wouldn't be put off a venue because of a gangland shooting. Why would I be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Because you have literally thousands of other options where people havent been shot.

Fair play to any loyal customers though.

It was a gangland hit. It's not the sort of crime that spooks/ creeps people in the same way as say a child being murdered or the Marilyn Rynn case round here years ago.

Multiple gunshots, women and children screaming, 2 men dead, lives ruined. This wasn't a gangland hit in a car park etc., with nobody around...... You're more triggered over a card machine than a gunman in a restaurant on Christmas Eve.

Everyone with their hand out looking for free money.

Again- unless you were actually there that night and saw it all, are people really stupid enough to be put off eating somewhere because a hit went down there previously?

And yes. Absolutely, I would rather eat somewhere like this than a business that refuses my cash as payment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Eating out is not a necessity and people will just choose elsewhere at least for a while. At least they can rely on your support when they reopen. I'm sure they'll have loyal customers who will return but the casual visitors may take a dip.

Post edited by miamee on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

No-one is ever messing around with cards or phones. If anything they're far quicker than having to fumble around with physical money.

The rest of your post comes across as of one of those "cash is king" conspiracy posts. Online ordering and ghost kitchens are a relative norm nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Was thinking that. Cards and phones are quicker than cash. First time I've heard someone say the opposite.

Mod Note:

Guys, I'm sure there is a suitable thread in the Banking forum or similar to discuss the merits of cash over card, this restaurant thread isn't it. Back on topic please.

Last off-topic posts removed.

Post edited by miamee on

Post removed, this it the last reminder to stay on topic with Dublin 15 restaurant recommendations. If you want to send a post to a specific user that is off topic, you can use the PMs @Seve OB Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

I tried Wagamama for the 1st time recently and thought it was lovely.

Shibuyashi in the village is lovely, lovely goyza and a massive reasonably priced menu.

Another plus one for Vagya in Roselawn. There's something cozy about the restaurant and the staff are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s no wonder boards is dying a death

anyway who can recommend the best chipper in town that’s not a romayos. I usually go between Dario’s in Coolmine but find them very hit and miss, or else San Marino in laurel lodge who seem a bit more reliable for quality product.

price of chips is gone mad these days

Giulios in Mulhuddart seems to be very popular, it's been the family favourite for quite a while. However my dad has recently started going to a chipper in Clonee village because he thinks they do a superior fish and chips to Giuilios. I don't know the name of it though, someone else might know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Jaysus, so now we have 2 threads for "I like chips"

Advertisement