Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It should be the very same, might be some tiny fractional difference plus or minus during the week. At the weekend when markets are closed rate will be the same either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

maik3n wrote: »
    Just wanted to clarify something on using revolut for other currencies.

If I purchase something online with, say, the dollar/sterling price, does it make any difference in terms of revolut cost if I make the purchase straight off versus converting some money in the app first. Or is it just one and the same?

As in, will Revolut charge the same amount on my card in euro, as they would have if I had converted some funds to sterling/dollars first? :confused:

You can't convert some of the money. Revolut will only take it from one currency balance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

If I purchase something online with, say, the dollar/sterling price, does it make any difference in terms of revolut cost if I make the purchase straight off versus converting some money in the app first. Or is it just one and the same?

As in, will Revolut charge the same amount on my card in euro, as they would have if I had converted some funds to sterling/dollars first? :confused:

Not sure if I have your question correct - once you convert your euros into sterling or dollars, Revolut has done its job and the conversion is locked in for that amount at that conversion rate on the day. The sterling or dollars are available to use for spending from that wallet and no further fee is payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

Did anyone get one of the RevP physical Mastercards in the last beta?

I'm using it here at the moment but bizarrely, the card has two valid PINs depending on where you use it. A PoS transaction requires the PIN the card shipped with which thankfully I can recall but ATM transactions require the PIN I set at an ATM after receiving the card. The app shows the PIN as being that I set, twice now, at ATMs but PoS transactions still require the original PIN!!

I've reported it on their beta feedback but I've heard nothing. I'm getting a lot of declined transactions when I forget to enter the original PIN in shops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Purchased off Amazon recently, bought an item, for £100 sterling, it automatically deducted from Euro account at the exchange rate at the time as I didn't have money in the GBP account. About 10 days later, the charge was reversed and re-charged for some reason, the exchange rate has gotten worse so it cost me an extra €2 for the same £100 item. I had made a similar purchase off Amazon, had the price of the item in the GBP account, the same reversal and re-charge happened, but it didn't cost me anything extra because it was GBP returned and GBP re-charged. Only happened the two times, it is the only reason I can see for converting in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

You will get the rate at the time the transaction goes through

Sterling has changed quite a bit in the last few weeks, with the Jonson addition and Brexit talk nonsense

Sterling pretty much goes up and down almost on a daily basis with good/bad Brexit news

Boris says something stupid = sterling drops

Boris says something good = sterling rises

Try and predict what may happen and you might save/gain a few dollaredoos

I’m sure there’s more to it than that, but it’s a very simple way of looking at it if you are converting close at the time of purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Trying to top up my account with Google pay but money doesn't seem to be appearing. Anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Not sure if already posted, but on a recent aer Lingus flight, when announcing the payment options for inflight service and duty free (or whatever it's called these days) they mentioned that they don't accept revolut cards for psyment.

The beginning of the end. Back to my stupid BoI debit card where I have no idea what’s going in and out for days, and no more Google or Apple Pay.

The only way we could stop this is everyone to stand firm and walk out of shops when they refuse it, but it’ll never happen. Was nice while it lasted though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

kenmc wrote: »
    Not sure if already posted, but on a recent aer Lingus flight, when announcing the payment options for inflight service and duty free (or whatever it's called these days) they mentioned that they don't accept revolut cards for psyment.

Interesting, thought that would be against the terms of Visa/Mastercard to say they accept either card but not if it's issued by x bank.

Might be worth letting Revolut know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I don't think they accept any prepaid cards on their flights, with Revolut probably being the most popular

I believe, debit and credit are different types to prepaid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Mr.S wrote: »
    They are prepaid debit cards so the terminal usually needs connectivity to verify that funds are available. Most of the time, airline terminals aren’t connected.

I couldn't use it at a pay at pump gas stations or most vending machines in America for this reason, even though they work here, the card cannot work at an offline terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

I couldn't use it at a pay at pump gas stations or most vending machines in America for this reason, even though they work here, the card cannot work at an offline terminal.

My revolut card doesn't work at pay at the pump terminals here.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Ryanair will accept N26 but not Revolut or AnPost cards for in-flight purchases .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

bossdrum wrote: »
    My revolut card doesn't work at pay at the pump terminals here.

Sorry poor phrasing, I don't think I have ever tried a pay at pump here, only America. It does work at vending machines here, which are online terminals but are offline in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The beginning of the end. Back to my stupid BoI debit card where I have no idea what’s going in and out for days, and no more Google or Apple Pay.

The only way we could stop this is everyone to stand firm and walk out of shops when they refuse it, but it’ll never happen. Was nice while it lasted though.

Plenty of other options on the market for Google and Apple Pay.

adox wrote: »
    Plenty of other options on the market for Google and Apple Pay.

Not without changing banks. I know it’s doable but it’s hassle.

We’re not quite at the end for these prepay cards at this stage anyway and BOI might get an IT department by the time it happens. I’ve an N26 as well but I don’t use it because of the top up delays.

We’re not quite at the end for these prepay cards at this stage anyway and BOI might get an IT department by the time it happens. I’ve an N26 as well but I don’t use it because of the top up delays.

You don’t have to change banks though? Just create a new account.

N26 support google and Apple Pay. It’s a proper bank account.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    You don’t have to change banks though? Just create a new account.

N26 support google and Apple Pay. It’s a proper bank account.

I don’t really want a bank account for this type of thing. I just want what Revolut does. Bang on some money whenever I need to use it and also for online purchases, and get a notification when it’s used. N26 makes you do a bank transfer so you’d be a long time waiting.
    I would never risk putting my wages into either of them.

I don’t really want a bank account for this type of thing. I just want what Revolut does. Bang on some money whenever I need to use it and also for online purchases, and get a notification when it’s used. N26 makes you do a bank transfer so you’d be a long time waiting.
    I would never risk putting my wages into either of them.

Fair enough but like it’s 24 hours for a transfer. Not as convenient but hardly a huge issue. N26 also gives you notifications.

I’m not having a go, just seems odd that you are going to go back to using your BOI account and forgo Google/Apple Pay and instant notifications when you have a solution already and they are more secure than your BOI card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

kenmc wrote: »

Whatever about duty free, which is a saleable product, not accepting cards for coffee and sandwiches is a bit mean, as most people have this much in their account and a fraudster wouldn't get away with much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Bunq Travel Card does Apple and Google and has an offline limit as it’s coded as credit card. Can be loaded with loads of options. There is a fee but it’s reasonable.

Wirecards Boon is online only and for Apple and google and again loads of load options.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Curve is another ideal option. It's not a prepaid card so it works in places the likes of Revolut don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

OK so woke up this morning to a notification that a 'recurring charge' was refused from PayPal. And it's for 48.42e
    Click on the charge and its a direct debit

Bought something on wish.com for 51e couple days ago, funds went out etc

What do I do in this situation? Like if I woke up and someone had had this amount I'd be fuming

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

BKWDR wrote: »
    OK so woke up this morning to a notification that a 'recurring charge' was refused from PayPal. And it's for 48.42e
    Click on the charge and its a direct debit

Bought something on wish.com for 51e couple days ago, funds went out etc

What do I do in this situation? Like if I woke up and someone had had this amount I'd be fuming

Log onto your PayPal. Click on the cog. Then look for payments. There's a setting for automatic payments. Delete any you don't want.

This is one reason why I leave my cards locked by default

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Log onto your PayPal. Click on the cog. Then look for payments. There's a setting for automatic payments. Delete any you don't want.

This is one reason why I leave my cards locked by default

Have just done that.

Is it the wording that im bugging out over? As in revolut told me it was a direct debit so i assume they are going to dip my account every week but in reality it's just set up as a quick way to pay through wish (or any other site) , like an automatic payment that wish and paypal are now linked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Is there any difference between freezing/unfreezing your card and going in and selecting/deselecting each security feature individually each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

BKWDR wrote: »
    Have just done that.

Is it the wording that im bugging out over? As in revolut told me it was a direct debit so i assume they are going to dip my account every week but in reality it's just set up as a quick way to pay through wish (or any other site) , like an automatic payment that wish and paypal are now linked

That's my experience. I bought something using PayPal before christmas. And PayPal took a direct debit for that amount today. Was a delay but I wasnt double billed or anything.

Advertisement