Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Remember when Fr. Ted had money "resting" in his account? It's kinda almost slightly like that. Bring the cash, get some rewards along the way

It's pretty easy, download and verify the app. Deposit cash and buy their token (CRO) and stake it (lock up) a for the card you want. Then use the card like Revolut for the rewards and cashback you sign up for. After 180 days you can withdraw your stake at any time but give up the rewards back to the free tier card and 1%.

https://crypto.com/eea/cards

Use my referral link https://crypto.com/app/kubfxnh2ax to sign up for Crypto.com and we both get $25 USD :)

The cashback is paid instantly in CRO. You can hold this if you want but every month I let it build up and convert this into another crypto BTC, ETH, ADA etc and watch it grow. I cashed some of my ADA yesterday to pay for a weekend break next Feb, had doubled my money on it. I could just load it on the card and spend. I got 24 quid worth of CRO back in cashback paying for the room.

That's enough on this, all the info is there. There's a thread on the crypto forum if you have any questions (although that place took a hammering when they changed the site)

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058057226/crypto-debit-cards-latest#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Tried that, Invalid Pin message came up, I used the PIN i use to log into the app

Have you checked it's the correct PIN?

To view your PIN: Go to the 'Cards' tab in the app. Find the relevant card and tap 'PIN & Security' Select 'View PIN'

Your cannot use contactless until you have used chip and PIN once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Got

Post edited by Coillte_Bhoy on

Not sure if anyone can help/has experience with this but

I sold a PS4 to someone a few weeks ago (about 2-2.5 weeks) they paid me via Rev & all was grand.

However a few days later (last Monday) I was told my account was limited, I’ve been up and down with the “”support”” who’ve asked me all sorts of questions regarding it, demanding screenshots of conversations with the buyer, including proof it arrived and is working etc. even going as far to demand the buyer sends me a selfie with his new PlayStation…

but throughout all of that (and they spoke with the buyer) every day it’s the same old “we’re waiting for an update” I’m being passed from pillar to post and no one’s doing a thing as far as I can tell, not even so much as telling me WHY this transfer, above all others is the reason for so much hardship on my end, since clearly they don’t care.

so what can I do exactly? There’s just about €300 in there I don’t really want to just give up on it but I’m about this close to deleting the app and telling them they can close the account. Is there anyway to get this dealt with be it within or outside of revolut? Is this even legal? Like I’ve never had a bank ask me to prove that I sent whatever goods the transfer was made for and asking for selfies and so on, like can they even ask me to send screenshots of private conversations??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Is it possible the buyer is trying to initiate a charge back for some reason. Have you spoken to the buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

I paid for 100 for a meal last night with Revolut.

It seems the retailer recognised the base currency was in GBP and "kindly" converted it 89.39GBP.

This was then charged to Revolut who converted it back at the fair FX rate to Euro costing 105.58.

I paid with my phone by contactless but am 99% sure I didn't enter any pin on the terminal.

I was wondering is it possible for the retailer to apply dynamic currency conversion on contactless payments without explicit pin authorisation from the purchaser?

• Advertisement

Sounds like they should’ve asked euros or gbp before taking payment

no need to enter a pin for the transaction using your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

If the person presenting the card is (presumably) Irish and it's an Irish restaurant, why would they ask?

Bill was in Euros in Ireland and I paid with contactless. Why wouldn't they ask before charging me in Sterling at a terrible exchange rate?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It does not really make much sense...

Retails don't have access to your account details, so it would have to be something about the card you presented that suggests GBP, but then if it was why would the Revolut go converting back into Euro... is your account in GBP?

I'd ask Revolut for an explanation, somehow the 'suggestion' came from them, so it is good you understand how it happened for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The Revolut card is coded as a UK card. The terminal likely recognised this and automatically took the payment in GBP with its own rate.

The Revolut account would be in EUR, so it would have needed to convert to GBP to make the payment. Complaint should go to the restaurant.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As the previous poster said, your Revolut card is coded as GBP. I'm assuming you've had it a few years as it was an issue with early Revolut cards. I'd be ordering a new Revolut card if I were you, to avoid this happening again.

And, yeah, if the restaurant charged you in GBP without asking you first, that's 100% on them. I'd be chasing them on the matter.

If the card is coded as UK, and the terminal in euros, it recognised the card as gbp. What usually happens is on the terminal it gives the option to pay in euros aka the "local currency" at the revolut rate, or gbp at their bad rate. Maybe the restaurant just confirmed gbp without asking.

The restaurant probably should've asked do you want to pay in Eur or gbp, but that's just my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Be polite about it though. Good staff is getting hard to find for restaurants and this is quite an unusual problem to be faced with.

I think the OP should confirm this before complaining….

And if it is correct, for me that would be a concern, as I’d find it very tiresome to have to control this every time I wished to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

In the OPs case, how could the restaurant confirm GBP if they paid using their phone?

• Advertisement

Well caught, so we’re back to my original suggestion the OP needs to ask for an explanation from Revolut Even if there is nothing that can be done about the last transaction, it would be useful to know for the future.

Early Revolut cards were UK Sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AmberKat

The terminal obviously picked up it was a gbp coded card (same a mine due to when I got it). The option to pay in local currency or your "home" currency would have been presented on the terminal. Somebody had to press yes to the charge being made in GBP, you should've been asked which currency you wanted to pay in.

It's easy enough to make the mistake but it wasn't technically Revoluts. The transaction was sent to them as GBP. You could probably make a complaint to be refunded the difference.

If we want to get really pedantic Revolut probably should never have issued cards for Irish people living in Ireland with EUR accounts that had GBP as the base currency, but I think we were all very happy not to have to wait the extra 2-3 years it would have taken to avoid that.

Yes, it was an early Revolut card so pretty sure the base currency is in GBP.

My question was really as to whether a restaurant could switch the fx without a pin being entered for a contactless transaction.

I am 99% sure I didn't enter any pin.

I'm sure the restaurant will refund the difference but it's a lot of hassle and I don't want to have to be checking each transaction to try and catch this all the time

Then best order a new Revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They'll still have the same risk if they go abroad to a non euro country. I have a sterling coded card and this has never happened. My partner has a newly issued card and gets prompted to convert to sterling all the time, so I'm not sure a new card is a great solution.

Is the currency of the original card one of the fields passed across in a Google pay transaction? Also I thought with a contactless transaction when you "tap" you're authorising the amount on the screen, how could the currency be converted after this without a subsequent authorising "tap"? (or am I wrong in that assumption)

Exactly. A new card with base EUR currency could run into the same problem in non euro countries.

I'm pretty sure that a pin should have been requested for the conversion but the seller seems to have worked around it somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

If they order a new card they're dealing with 98% of use cases, though. And in the other 2% will presumably be expecting to need to convert.

Exactly.

If you live in a euro country, then having a euro-coded card means you won't run into this issue, except the small amount of time you spend in non-euro countries when you'd actually be expecting to be presented with this issue.

So I really can't see why anyone would want to continue to use a GBP-coded card if they live in the ROI (except for usage in the UK).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Assuming 98% of their usage is in the eurozone. Mine certainly isn't I just use it for fx unless friends are splitting bills.

Can anyone confirm if currency of the original card is one of the fields sent in a Google pay nfc transaction?

I found some info on the mastercard site about the situation where a customer isn't provided with an option for dynamic currency conversion by the retailer, basically they should be eligible for a chargeback, I assume visa is the same. If they fancy fighting it.

Advertisement