Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General rip off examples

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bmc58

Thought there might be a general thread for pics of the odd rip-off you see here and there which aren't worthy of a new thread every time..........Couldn't find one, so here we go:

Spar Merrion Row. Who in their right mind is paying this for a standard packet of biscuits?

493447.jpg

edit: image was huge, trying to resize it now

Bit too pricey for me for a packet of McVities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bmc58

silver2020 wrote: »
    In fairness, these are €2.59 in tesco, so not a big difference considering the extra costs of a convenience store

All things considered not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I am following this thread with interest. You know gouging is going on and we are in boom 2.0. Go to any petrol station and get a coffee and a sandwich. You will now pay over ten to fifteen euro . I just refuse to pay this, for sh1t coffee and a roll made of total crap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

6541 wrote: »
    I am following this thread with interest. You know gouging is going on and we are in boom 2.0. Go to any petrol station and get a coffee and a sandwich. You will now pay over ten to fifteen euro . I just refuse to pay this, for sh1t coffee and a roll made of total crap.

Can you give some examples of outlets charging this much?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

6541 wrote: »

That’s boll***s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

M&S clothes.

Suit - Ireland: €260
    UK: £199 or €230

I presume they give the excuse of transportation costs etc.. but it's bullsh*t when you consider say the Newry store in the North and the Drogheda store in the South are 40 minutes apart.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/ie/blue-checked-tailored-fit-suit/p/ds9a9804b9e835a9e27f7063666437cfb5

https://www.marksandspencer.com/blue-checked-tailored-fit-suit/p/ds9a9804b9e835a9e27f7063666437cfb5?prevPage=srp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

marvin80 wrote: »
    M&S clothes.

I presume they give the excuse of transportation costs etc.. but it's bullsh*t when you consider say the Newry store in the North and the Drogheda store in the South are 40 minutes apart.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/ie/blue-checked-tailored-fit-suit/p/ds9a9804b9e835a9e27f7063666437cfb5

https://www.marksandspencer.com/blue-checked-tailored-fit-suit/p/ds9a9804b9e835a9e27f7063666437cfb5?prevPage=srp

Would goods from abroad not come through customs in Irish Ports/Airports rather then on a lorry from Newry?

You could also look at the differences in trading costs between North and South, plus M&S in the North is considered part of the overall UK market for pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

ANY of the garage "shops", loads of examples, but a small bottle of Coke for €1.80/1.90/1.95 is ridiculous when priced against a 2litre bottle in the supermarket.
    But I think the biggest rip-off ever invented is the "rounding up" lark, where something is priced at €4.97, you hand in a fiver but get no change. It really boils my piss! :mad: I can honestly say that for every time I've been "rounded down", I've been "rounded up" 15 or 20 times.
    But there's probably a separate thread for that one!

4.97 is rounded down if the rounding is done correctly, you can always pay with Card, no rounded for card transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    well we could remove all 'restrictions' on addictive substances, and see what happens!

My example was about the price of 'over the counter medicines' which, as as far as I am aware, none are addictive, so Im not sure what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Some rip offs are sometimes marketing. “Selling” pizzas, chocolate boxes 100% more expensive than competitors for a month and then suddenly they are half price with big signs showing there is a “good” promotion that you cannot miss.

You often see this with easter eggs. They start selling them way before easter and they are on promotion right on time when you want to buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

marvin80 wrote: »
    M&S clothes.

That's a surprisingly small difference for M&S, the vast majority of their clothes have an exchange rate of 1.50

Debenhams are worse, they STILL use approx 1.6 on many items.

They are two stores to be avoided at all costs.

btw, retail operating costs are little different between the two countries these days. Back in the stupid days of the celtic tiger, rents here were stratospheric, but not anymore.

So definitely M&S and Debenhams top the league of general overall ripoff merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

GAA jerseys..€70 is shocking. What is it only a light piece of material?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

wassie wrote: »
    My example was about the price of 'over the counter medicines' which, as as far as I am aware, none are addictive, so Im not sure what your point is.

Some of the codeine based painkillers can be addictive.

zeebre12 wrote: »
    GAA jerseys..€70 is shocking. What is it only a light piece of material?

€10 for the jersey, €60 for the club directors expenses :):):)

But, yes a substantial amount of cost is in licencing fees. If you're a dub, pennys have a light blue short sleeve t-shirt for €2.50 - considering the dubs are in croke park every August/earl sept, this will be perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

€9.45 for a Vodka and 7up in the Bridge House Bar in Tullamore Co. Offaly. They won't sell a splash of 7up has to be a bottle.

I just had a 3 day Mediterranean Cruise including all I can eat food and drink and return priority flights all for €299, some rip off country here in Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A cruise for that price this autumn is an operator desperately trying to fill berths that they had expected Thomas Cook to sell; not someone covering their costs (they absolutely lost money on you). Alcohol provided at sea is duty free also.

However, 9.45 is an obscene price for that in Dublin let alone the Midlands!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some of the codeine based painkillers can be addictive.

They were talking about paracetamol though. There's no good reason for the scale of the price diffs and restrictions here for OTC products versus UK except to perpetuate the ripoff and protect the 'jobs for the boys' in the regulatory sector here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Re the round up, you do know you have a right to demand the EXACT change, ie 4.97, hand over a fiver, if you want it, they MUST give you the 3 cents change.

Heard this on Liveline a while ago.

Nope nope and more nope.

No legal requirement to give ANY change. Shops do because customers arent coming back otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Thought there might be a general thread for pics of the odd rip-off you see here and there which aren't worthy of a new thread every time..........Couldn't find one, so here we go:

Spar Merrion Row. Who in their right mind is paying this for a standard packet of biscuits?

493447.jpg

edit: image was huge, trying to resize it now

Lots of upmarket offices in the area, someone sent out to buy biscuits for a meeting out of petty cash presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Inheritance tax.

• Advertisement

wassie wrote: »
    Over the counter medicines a classic example of the restricted competition in this country and the nanny state we are live in. Nothing sh!ts me more than being told 'sorry sir, we cant sell you more because the Govt doesnt trust you'.

Was in Aus a while back, could get a generic box of 100 tablets of paracetamol (500mg) for AUD$2.49.....Thats €1.55 or 1.55c

I'm fine with the restrictions on paracetamol tbh. It saves a lot of lives. And while people generally don't like being told what to do if you regularly need more than 32 paracetamol on-hand you should probably be seeing a doctor and getting a prescription for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Almond 1 litre carton - Usually €2.39 for the Alpro brand and €1.69 for store own brand. Occasionally the Alpro brand goes on sale for 2 for €3.50 such as in Supervalu every 2-3 months. The cheapest I've seen it was €1.50 on one of the LIDL Super Weekend Savers several months ago.

In the North, the Alpro brand is generally always on sale for £1 per carton somewhere. When I was in Asda in Strabane last week, it was 90p per carton in Asda. Even when it's not or out of stock, the store own brand is 95p to £1 per carton in most supermarkets.

Cazale wrote: »
    It's a 9% Double IPA which is what they cost.

It most certainly is not what they cost. McGargle's do an 8% double IPA that's available for about €3.50. Same with O'Hara's, think theirs is 7.5% though, but still, well under €4.

€6 for a single can is expensive no matter what way you slice it. That underdog place on Dame st is one of the dearest pubs in the city and they do a triple IPA @ 11% on tap for that kinda money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Was looking at a kids hat and glove set in Debenhams over the weekend. €25 with 20% 'discount' in the 'sale'. Looked it up on the .co.uk site and its £16 (less than €19) Debenhams seem to price stuff here with the sole purpose of giving a % off in their never ending sale and making you feel like you got a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

daheff wrote: »
    Nope nope and more nope.

No legal requirement to give ANY change. Shops do because customers arent coming back otherwise

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/banking/rounding_cash_transactions.html

Introduction
    Rounding was rolled out nationwide on Wednesday 28 October 2015. Rounding means that the total amount of a bill will be rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cent. It applies only to cash payments and does not apply to bills paid electronically - by debit card, credit card or by store card.

Rounding aims to reduce the use of 1 and 2 cent coins. These coins are not actively used by consumers and the cost of issuing them is more than the value of the coins. A 1 cent coin costs 1.65c to produce while 2 cent coin costs 1.94c. However 1 and 2 cent coins will continue to be legal tender.

The key features of rounding are:

Rounding is voluntary for retailers and customers
    1c and 2c coins remain legal tender
    Rounding applies only to cash payments
    The total amount of any bill will be rounded down or up to the nearest 5 cent
    The retailer can apply rounding automatically without asking the customer – it is up to you to say if you don’t want rounding applied to your bill. However customers must always be given exact change if they request it.

I'm not argueing if its legal or not go give any change. My post was about the rounding up/down, & I stated that the customer has the right to demand their full change.

& I stated that the customer has the right to demand their full change.

You have a right to ask, but your post said they "legally must" which is incorrect.

The problem about using such words is someone will then go into a sho and say the same thing and will look like a fool.

So its best never to say something is legally binding unless you can show what legal text proves such a statement.

Saying as you say in this post that a customer has a right to ask for correct change is more correct. (the store still is not legally obliged to give it, but would lose all their custom fairly quickly if they did not)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Complaints about "rounding" are not rare.Why would the majority of the population here want to go boards to complain.Most have never heard of boards.I use a card when the "rounding" is not in my favour.As said before,for the retailers who use it,it's a form of gouging.My local Aldi has started stocking 1 and 2c coins.So there must a some "rebels" emerging.

I'm not argueing if its legal or not go give any change. My post was about the rounding up/down, & I stated that the customer has the right to demand their full change.

Absolutely agree customer should get full change. Imo rounding is a scam (albeit on a small scale) for retailers to improve margins with pricing strategy.

If they were really so worried about rounding they would just change their prices to the nearest 5c and not have to go through the whole round up/down rigmarole.

But to counter your point, customer always has the right to demand full change, but retailer is not bound by law to give any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Absolutely agree customer should get full change. Imo rounding is a scam (albeit on a small scale) for retailers to improve margins with pricing strategy.

If they were really so worried about rounding they would just change their prices to the nearest 5c and not have to go through the whole round up/down rigmarole.

But to counter your point, customer always has the right to demand full change, but retailer is not bound by law to give any change.

On your last point, how long would a business last in the digital age if they refuse to give change? I suspect a quick post on one of the many social platforms and an email to media outlets would do the trick very quickly. So, though legally you may be correct, in reality you are not.

I really don’t see how retailers can be accused of profiteering for following a Government guideline. The cost of producing 1&2c coins exceeds their monetary value so they are being taken out of circulation.

Rounding up really isn’t going to make a difference to the bottom line, it would take 100 customers to make €1, about 60c after tax, how that could be considered a scam is beyond me. As others have pointed out, rounding up does not apply to electronic purchases, if you don’t want to pay it, tap and go.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    On your last point, how long would a business last in the digital age if they refuse to give change?

Yep I agree. I made that point earlier.

Also remember these laws predate any kind of social media.
    Nope nope and more nope.

I really don’t see how retailers can be accused of profiteering for following a Government guideline.
    Its a voluntary thing. If it was going to cost shops, you can be sure they wouldn't be doing it. Also remember that the larger multiples have quite sophisticated analytics which can work out how much they would earn extra if XYZ happens.
    Rounding up really isn’t going to make a difference to the bottom line, it would take 100 customers to make €1, about 60c after tax, how that could be considered a scam is beyond me.

Think of it over millions of transactions that they have annually across their group. 1 million transactions rounded up by 2c saves them 20k. Plus handling fees.

How often do you see transactions rounding down? More often than not (in my experience anyways) its rounded up.

as for the after tax part....shops have no control on tax rates. As such they look at Taxable profit and to maximise this.

Advertisement