Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Father and daughter drown at US border

• 26-06-2019 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭

The horrifying picture that was released is really heartbreaking. The daughter still has her arm around Dad. Not what I expected to see first thing in the morning.
    I think we will be seeing a lot more of this in Europe and USA going forward. Like that Syrian boy found dead on the beach. What are we in rich countries supposed to do? Of course they know it’s illegal to enter these countries and the risks involved but they are so desperate for a better life they’ll keep coming. Is there any solution to the constant stream of desperate immigrants? I fear it will get a lot worse in the coming years as resources dwindle and the climate crisis worsens.
    Not for the feint hearted

https://www.thejournal.ie/us-mexico-immigration-photo-4697766-Jun2019/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

It's not our problem. The media are manipulating people once again like they did with the Syrian child.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    It's not our problem.

Neither was the holocaust or the Berlin blockade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Exactly, and they sorted themselves out.

Best not to get involved.

Human trafficking should not be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Jesus. That's a heartbreaking picture.

riemann wrote: »

Best not to get involved.

Human trafficking should not be encouraged.

The food airlifted itself into Berlin? Camps liberated themselves?
    It will be our problem quite soon when millions start arriving at Europe’s shores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dingaan

Didn't the Democrats say that there wasn't a crisis at the southern border? They really are delusional if this kind of horrific stuff is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

riemann wrote: »

Bahahaha jesus didn't take long to jump the shark. I knew the saddo's would flock to this like the syria boy but bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The man in question put himself and his daughter in harm's way by choice, the victims of the Holocaust and residents of Berlin had no choice. Are we to be blackmailed by irresponsible behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I'm sure I'll see the picture somewhere but I won't be clicking on the link for a look.

The food airlifted itself into Berlin? Camps liberated themselves?
    It will be our problem quite soon when millions start arriving at Europe’s shores.

I think Germany could do with another million migrants.

• Advertisement

The man in question put himself and his daughter in harm's way by choice, the victims of the Holocaust and residents of Berlin had no choice. Are we to be blackmailed by irresponsible behaviour?

How do you know they had a choice? Utter desperation and wanting a better life for his child I would imagine.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Photo reminds me of that Syrian child on the beach.

Massive outrage amongst people, and offers to take in Syrian refugees in Ireland and abroad. Then when the time came the people that had pledged to accommodate the refugees made up excuses as to why they couldn’t.

Who said they’d take people in and then made excuses? Did this actually happen? Not doubting it but some examples would be good.

How do you know they had a choice? Utter desperation and wanting a better life for his child I would imagine.

Getting into a fast moving river with a 23 month old is choice unless someone stood behind him with a weapon forcing him. Wanting is not the same as no choice.
    As an aside the father of the Syrian boy washed up on a beach survived the family were residents of Turkey at the time. This photo is intended to blackmail the US to change its policies. Not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I never understood people being so cynical and edgy regarding the Syrian boy. Often the same people who pretend to be all outraged by abortion extremely early on.

But I find comparisons between the US-Mexico border control to the Holocaust dreadfully dishonest. And in poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Photo reminds me of that Syrian child on the beach.

Massive outrage amongst people, and offers to take in Syrian refugees in Ireland and abroad. Then when the time came the people that had pledged to accommodate the refugees made up excuses as to why they couldn’t.
    Photos actually don't do much other than provide a very temporary focus. In the Syrian case it was little more than a reminder of the human tragedy whereas this one keeps attention on Trump's callous efforts to retain the presidency at any cost. The US are entitled to protect their borders but don't much care that a lot of the led to this mass migration have arisen out of US policies and regional behaviour.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Love_BBC

You never see anyone calling out those taking pictures of dead people. Where's the respect?

Love_BBC wrote:
    You never see anyone calling out those taking pictures of dead people. Where's the respect?

Respect takes a poor second when an agenda is at play.

Love_BBC wrote: »
    Journalists record events. You can't really pick and choose which ones should or should not qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I never understood people being so cynical and edgy regarding the Syrian boy.

Can you remember his name without using Google?

I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Well he died knowing he also killed his daughter, nobody to blame but himself.

• Advertisement

Respect takes a poor second when an agenda is at play.
    Indeed, we all have agendas.

I never understood people being so cynical and edgy regarding the Syrian boy. Often the same people who pretend to be all outraged by abortion extremely early on.

But I find comparisons between the US-Mexico border control to the Holocaust dreadfully dishonest. And in poor taste.

I was trying to make the point that people intervened to stop suffering and atrocities in the past. I’m not pro open borders or anything but we all know this is going to get worse and worse in US and Europe. What are we going to do, machine gun them all down as they try to enter? It’s gping to be a total sh*tshow, especially in Europe.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Can you remember his name without using Google?

I can't.
    That Google's fault! We retain little knowledge these days.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Moved from AH > CA

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This 7 min video gives an idea of why the immigrants do what they do and how the border patrol agents on the Rio Grande have to deal with them. There's nothing graphic but shows a human side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Well he died knowing he also killed his daughter, nobody to blame but himself.

what a wonderful individual you are, the world is blessed to have you in it

I was trying to make the point that people intervened to stop suffering and atrocities in the past. I’m not pro open borders or anything but we all know this is going to get worse and worse in US and Europe. What are we going to do, machine gun them all down as they try to enter? It’s gping to be a total sh*tshow, especially in Europe.

Tighten external borders and any that arrive send them back. Europe cant be expected to sort out the 3rd worlds problems. Let them apply legally through the proper channels. They dont have some god given right to come to Europe. We dont owe them anything.

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Tighten external borders and any that arrive send them back. Europe cant be expected to sort out the 3rd worlds problems. Let them apply legally through the proper channels. They dont have some god given right to come to Europe. We dont owe them anything.
    So get the 50K illegal Paddies to the US back as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Dingaan wrote: »
    Didn't the Democrats say that there wasn't a crisis at the southern border? They really are delusional if this kind of horrific stuff is happening.

Around 100k people getting arrested each month at the border, so you can imagine how many must be getting through?

The Democrats' solution appears to be open borders (AOC recently called for ICE to be disbanded and border patrol to be defunded), but that is beyond delusional. Do these idiots have no idea how many thousands of people want revenge on the US for all the bombings, government toppling, and invading they've done? Open the border and you're guaranteeing regular terrorist attacks. Of course, you're also guaranteeing the working class people have to compete with illegals for jobs, and the lowering of wages due to illegals willing to work for peanuts.

I hate to say it but Trump is on the right track with his solution - make the border very difficult to penetrate so people no longer see it as a viable way into the US.

I'd love to see all the US companies moving their manufacturing to Mexico and its neighbours. Help improve those economies instead of sending everything to Asia. It would help with the crisis - give people hope their own countries are getting their **** together.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    So get the 50K illegal Paddies to the US back as well?

100%. Why do people always bring up this argument? An illegal is an illegal. Doesn't matter where you are from.

Advertisement