Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a name for the addition of an exaggerated "h" sound before a vowel, and...

• 11-04-2018 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

...why is it generally (in my excperience) used as a stereotype of a thick posh accent - across various English-speaking countries?

Example: "Pig", pronounced as "P-hhhhig". "Ted", pronounced as "T-hhhhhhhed". "Cup", pronounced as "C-hhhhhup". Etc.

Often, this accompanies the transformation of "ih" sounds (again, as in "pig") to "eh" sounds (so "pig" becomes "peg", but also with the added "h", so "p-hhheg".

This appears in various contexts, but the three I can think of off the top of my head are characters playing exaggerated / poserish posh types, people trying to put on a "sexy" voice, and specifically men playing an exaggerated "camp" character. It may also be a feature of the "valley girl" stereotype in the US, but I'm less clear on this one and I can't think of any recent examples. I suppose the breathiness of it makes sense if one is trying to sound like "pillow talk", but outside that context it's always something I've been interested by. Unfortunately, it's difficult off the top of my head to think of specific examples of clips I could link to featuring this accent, but if any occur to me I'll post them in.

I'm interested because I've done a bit of Googling and this doesn't seem to be a formally labelled or recognised feature of speech, and yet it's definitely a very distinct thing which only seems to appear in the contexts I've listed above. Is there a name for this, or is it just one of those speech quirks which no one has ever bothered remarking upon or writing about?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Reminds me of the old jokes.

What do they do in Ballymena about sex?

They listen to the sex-o-clock news.

What do those in Brighton use sex for?

They carry their coal in them.

In London, cockneys eat Kike, but in upmarket Westminster, they eat Keek.

Gearge Bernard Shaw had a lot of views on pronunciation - watch My Fair Lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

...why is it generally (in my excperience) used as a stereotype of a thick posh accent - across various English-speaking countries?

Example: "Pig", pronounced as "P-hhhhig". "Ted", pronounced as "T-hhhhhhhed". "Cup", pronounced as "C-hhhhhup". Etc.

Often, this accompanies the transformation of "ih" sounds (again, as in "pig") to "eh" sounds (so "pig" becomes "peg", but also with the added "h", so "p-hhheg".

This appears in various contexts, but the three I can think of off the top of my head are characters playing exaggerated / poserish posh types, people trying to put on a "sexy" voice, and specifically men playing an exaggerated "camp" character. It may also be a feature of the "valley girl" stereotype in the US, but I'm less clear on this one and I can't think of any recent examples. I suppose the breathiness of it makes sense if one is trying to sound like "pillow talk", but outside that context it's always something I've been interested by. Unfortunately, it's difficult off the top of my head to think of specific examples of clips I could link to featuring this accent, but if any occur to me I'll post them in.

I'm interested because I've done a bit of Googling and this doesn't seem to be a formally labelled or recognised feature of speech, and yet it's definitely a very distinct thing which only seems to appear in the contexts I've listed above. Is there a name for this, or is it just one of those speech quirks which no one has ever bothered remarking upon or writing about?
    I think it's a form of "aspiration", but not to be confused with "aspiration" or séimhiú in Irish (the "h" added to a consonant to show that it has changed pronunciation and has become a different, but related, consonant.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 odetooi

Google

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

odetooi wrote: »
    Google

Ghooglhe?

Advertisement