Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to expect in the Boilerhouse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Condoms don't protect against all stis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    No, I asked why did he go with someone he didnt like or want to be with .
    As i stated above I have gone to the BH before and left because there wasnt anyone i was in to.

I addressed your points mate. Well done you. Perhaps you are too old to remember what's its like to be young and inexperienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Manion wrote: »
    I addressed your points mate. Well done you. Perhaps you are too old to remember what's its like to be young and inexperienced.

Mod - No need to make ageist comments. Please dont in future

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

LLMMLL wrote: »
    It's definitely busier on a Saturday night and there's a wide range of guys.

Did you do something particularly unsafe? A guy in the BH is no more likely to have something than a randomers off Grindr. Don't buy into a an internal shame filled narrative that it's an inherently dirty place.

However, if you had bareback sex you should go to an ER asap. Whether that's with a guy from the boiler house or anyone else.
    I know what your saying that most of the guys are likely clean but when you don't know and trust someone I gives a doubt. Will look into getting tested but don't really want to go to my GP about it, you mention ER?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Guide Clinic (St James Hospital)
    http://www.guideclinic.ie/sti-clinic

Gay Men's Health Service (Baggot Street)
    http://hse.ie/eng/services/list/5/sexhealth/gmhs/clinics/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fluffybiscuits

Heebie wrote: »
    You'll see lots of obnoxious attitude if you're not a gorgeous twink under 25 or hung like an elephant.

But as long as you don't let that faze you...

The entry Hall is long and skinny where you arrange for entry. This may seem seedy or creepy, but it's a good design from a security standpoint.

One inside, there are nice parts, seedy parts, and other parts.
    Whether you enjoy yourself will depend mainly on your own attitude and how thick your skin is.
    If you're meeting someone there, hopefully you'll get on and have fun in a fairly safe environment.
    If you don't get on, there's lots of other men there, or you can just relax and enjoy the saunas, the jacuzzi, and lots of eye candy.
    There is a lot to be said for being able to relax around a bunch of naked and nearly naked men of various shapes, sizes and colors.

I hope you have a good time.

My experience with it too

I tend to head on a Friday afternoon or Sunday afternoon every few months. The twinks tend to congregate on the weekend nights and its mostly just older lads or bears (which Im into) outside of that I personally find!. There is also Inn on the Liffey but I have never beeen so I cant vouch for it.

During the week is better I find...Tues or Wed night is very quiet but its more relaxed

As Heebie said above just throw your towel around your shoulder and wander around and chill out. You can have a coffee in the cafe and read the paper, sit in the jacuzzi (once it doesnt look like porroidge - just jkidding!). Go in with no expectations and just dont take it personal if a guy knocks you back!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gael23 wrote: »
    Will look into getting tested but don't really want to go to my GP about it, you mention ER?

For PEP, if bareback was done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I know what your saying that most of the guys are likely clean but when you don't know and trust someone I gives a doubt. Will look into getting tested but don't really want to go to my GP about it, you mention ER?

I am going to hazard a guess that you have never had an STI test before. Am I correct?

You should go to the GMHS and get the hep A & B vaccine. If you are under 26, you should get the HPV vaccine too. You sound like you need to be educated on PEP, so ask them about that too.

The GMHS is just for gay men(well MSM). They have heard it all and honestly will not judge when getting tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I meant am emergency department only in the case you had bareback anal sex in which case (as far as I'm aware) you should try and get PEP as soon as possible.

Sure as another poster said there are STIs that condoms don't protect against but you're no more likely to catch anything in the boiler house than you would from any casual partner.

If you're particularly worried, go to an STI clinic in a few weeks to get checked for the non-HIV infections. And get your hepatitis jabs. You might also be able to get a HPV jab.

But if you're going to be having regular casual sex be that from casual nightclub/Grindr hookups or going to saunas or sex clubs then just make sure your anal sex is always protected and go to a clinic to get checked a reasonable number of times per year (personally I think twice a year is fine).

The point I'm making is that if you basically did nothing more than suck and unprotected dick in the bh, you probably don't have anuything and if you do its very treatable. By all means get checked out, but if you're going to be having regular casual sex, like once a month or more, it's not really feasible to go to the clinic after each encounter. I wouldn't treat a safe encounter in the BH as somehow more dirty than a safe encounter with someone from the George.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Sexual Health Services in Waterford

Waterford
    Regional Hospital, Waterford City, 051 842 646 (By appointment only)

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/5/sexhealth/

• Advertisement

I am going to hazard a guess that you have never had an STI test before. Am I correct?

You should go to the GMHS and get the hep A & B vaccine. If you are under 26, you should get the HPV vaccine too. You sound like you need to be educated on PEP, so ask them about that too.

The GMHS is just for gay men(well MSM). They have heard it all and honestly will not judge when getting tested.

Yes never been tested before but this was my first such encounter so never felt the need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Yes never been tested before but this was my first such encounter so never felt the need to.

I would hazard a guess and say you will be ok . However as a sexually active gay man you should go for a regular check up.

You are the textbook definition of someone who should have gotten the HPV vaccine ie someone before they had any sexual encounters. You need to get the vaccines regardless of the number of your partners.

You ideally need to get the HPV vaccine now ie before more partners.

Tried ringing and it says leave your name & number and they will call you back. Is that normal?

Tried ringing and it says leave your name & number and they will call you back. Is that normal?

Tried ringing who? The GMHS have limited hours. At times you will struggle to find someone to contact

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deasy15324

Hi guys, I am going to BH tomorrow, not expecting anything - me and a friend (both late 20s) are going just to see what its like more than anything but my question is how do I make it clear if someone wants something but I dont.
    I dont want to come off as an asshole but I dont want to do something I am not comfortable with. Is it acceptable to say "No Thanks" and move away from the person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Deasy15324 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am going to BH tomorrow, not expecting anything - me and a friend (both late 20s) are going just to see what its like more than anything but my question is how do I make it clear if someone wants something but I dont.
    I dont want to come off as an asshole but I dont want to do something I am not comfortable with. Is it acceptable to say "No Thanks" and move away from the person?

I think you have to make it clear OP

Why would you think you'd look like an asshole by not making clear and otherwise you'd be doing something you don't want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Deasy15324 wrote:
    Hi guys, I am going to BH tomorrow, not expecting anything - me and a friend (both late 20s) are going just to see what its like more than anything but my question is how do I make it clear if someone wants something but I dont. I dont want to come off as an asshole but I dont want to do something I am not comfortable with. Is it acceptable to say "No Thanks" and move away from the person?

The way that seems most used is looking away from someone. Generally holding their gaze tends to mean you're interested (or that they are)
    Often, the looking away will be accompanied by a look that says "how dare you even think it's give you the time of day" quite sadly.
    Using words, and only accepting information as words, is definitely at your own discretion.
    If someone is polite "no, thanks" should do. If someone doesn't seem to want to take no for an answer, you might choose your words with less consideration, and speak louder.
    If he persists, you can contact a member of staff.
    Your safety is important, and the staff should know how to handle it.

Hopefully you had a good time!

imme wrote: »
    I think you have to make it clear OP

Why would you think you'd look like an asshole by not making clear and otherwise you'd be doing something you don't want to do

Dunno I thought there might be some sort of gay sauna etiquite that I'm not familiar with. As most lads go there for sex if I reject someone advances is he gonna think "what did you come here for then". Obviously I'm not going to do something I don't want to do. Just wanted to ask anyone who goes regularly is there a specific way to reject someone or the opposit is there a specific way of telling someone they are a God and you want to ravage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Of course. Yes. If you are not interested just say no thanks and walk away.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

is there a specific way of telling someone they are a God and you want to ravage them.

Oh Jayzus...

Have fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

My boss used to go to that place. He was an old dude in his 60's. A filthy animal. Reading some of the reviews online I can see why he liked the place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I met my former long-term partner in the Boilerhouse back in 2000. We were together for almost 10 years and remain the best of friends. So it is actually possible to meet someone worthwhile there.

That said, 95% of the encounters in the BH are for quickie sex hook up.

Basically, you buzz the door to get in. Fri and Sat nights are the most popular, especially with younger men. You then go down a corridor to the counter where you pay and get a towel and condoms and sachets of lube and a locker key. Then you go into the changing room, strip off and lock away your clothes and possessions. You put the towel around you and then go into the shower. That is the ground floor.

On the first floor, there is the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna where you strip off to use. This is where a lot of guys eye each other up and check each other out. The smoking area is also on this floor.

On the third floor are the private booths where the action happens. There is also a mirror maze and a sling. At least there used to be. It’s been about 5 years since I was last there. Play safe. Also, don’t turn up too drunk or they will turn you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My boss used to go to that place. He was an old dude in his 60's. A filthy animal. Reading some of the reviews online I can see why he liked the place.

Sounds like fun - what time he's there would you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Mod note

Post deleted. Dont post in the thread again MG

So I went - and how good a time you have really is down to what kind of person you are (or what mood you are in at the time). I got no hassle from no one, I was approached a few times but wasnt interested so I shook my head, then I met a hottie in the jacuzzi and had a ball. Will defo go again. If you are looking for quick sex with strangers defo go, but if you are looking for stimulating conversation and long term friendship probably best to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

if you are looking for stimulating conversation and long term friendship probably best to stay away.

Going to your local gay bath house looking for those things means you probably have worse problems.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

cgcsb wrote: »
    Going to your local gay bath house looking for those things means you probably have worse problems.

Well, I met a long-term partner in the BH and we were together for the best part of a decade. So it IS possible to meet someone meaningful in a gay sauna but very unlikely. We met purely by chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

cgcsb wrote: »

Ive met some really nice guys in there and had fun, thats why I went.
    A friend of mine did actually meet a guy in there some years back and they had a relationship and no it wasnt JupiterKid.

The Boilerhouse is what it is, guys go in looking to have sex with other guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, I met a long-term partner in the BH and we were together for the best part of a decade. So it IS possible to meet someone meaningful in a gay sauna but very unlikely. We met purely by chance.

You hardly went in with that intention though?

Advertisement