Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Of Us 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Confirmed you play as Ellie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

In Neil we trust.
    I can’t tell you how satisfying it is to finally be able to say that Ellie and Joel are back for another intense, harrowing, and emotional adventure. Like many of you, we have a deep love for the world of The Last of Us and its characters, and while a sequel may have seemed like a foregone conclusion, that wasn’t the case. We knew that it needed to be a story worth telling and, perhaps more importantly, a story worthy of Joel and Ellie. After spending years on different ideas (and almost giving up), we finally uncovered a story that felt special—a story that evolved into an epic journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's like I said before, if they're going to use Joel and Ellie again, I have enough trust in them that they're doing it for the right reasons and have a good story to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Joel and Ellie back PogChamp

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gustavo is returning as composer, just beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Ok calling it now. The Firefly's killed Joel for what he did in the first game and Ellie is out for revenge. The Joel we saw in the trailer isn't actually real...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I would have preferred a different set of characters in the same world tbh, or perhaps like 10 or more years later with just ellie and maybe someone new. With Joel dead, but yeah, ill keep the faith.

Any word on a projected release date?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Joel will surely die in this, which upsets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Joel will surely die in this, which upsets me.

It's safe to say we're not going to get a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

1st one is easily the most over rated game of all time.

Story is good but the actual gameplay is awful.

I hope they improve that.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »

What was wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I've heard plenty of negative commentary about the gameplay. Am I the only one that thought it was fantastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I've heard plenty of negative commentary about the gameplay. Am I the only one that thought it was fantastic?
    I thought it was fine. It wasn't exactly ground-breaking but there was nothing wrong with it.

Evade wrote: »
    I thought it was fine. It wasn't exactly ground-breaking but there was nothing wrong with it.

It was just what it needed to be to if ya ask me, i cant think of anything they could have added or taken away :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TLOU's gameplay was great. It didn't break new ground or anything but I thought it was very polished and fun to play.

The popularity of the multiplayer will attest to that. If people were solely invested in the story and tolerated the gameplay, the multiplayer wouldn't have been so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Yea, whatever. The gameplay was class. You didn't play it right. I had that gut feeling, that story wasn't finished Yesssssssss get the **** in TLOU 2!!!

Edit* May have been drinking last night :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I enjoyed the gameplay of the first. I never felt the controls were getting in the way etc.

Also, I loved the gunplay. The guns actually felt powerful, even the pistols which is rare as some games make them feel like pea shooters to promote the bigger guns. Still fondly remember that rifle and bow!

I was one of those hoping that the story wouldn't be revisited but after seeing the trailer and hearing the developer comment on these reservations, my mind is put more at ease.

In ND we trust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Yeah, never understood where people were coming from with the criticism of the gameplay. I think it's the only aspect of the game that wasn't amazing (still absolutely fine) and so ran with that as an exaggerated narrative to combat the praise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of wish they didn't focus on Joel and Ellie for this one. The first game wrapped up nicely and not sure what revisiting the characters will add. I'll just wait and see if they can surprise me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Kind of wish they didn't focus on Joel and Ellie for this one. The first game wrapped up nicely and not sure what revisiting the characters will add. I'll just wait and see if they can surprise me.
    The surgeon's child will come back and kill Joel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Last of Us seemed to me like an attempt to build a coherent and thematically appropriate narrative around the Uncharted formula. Obviously mechanically there's significant differences (and generally The Last of Us is more satisfying to play), but in terms of the broad 'setpieces - combat - story - light platforming / puzzling' approach they're undoubtedly of the same genesis.

It goes without saying that it resulted in a much less dissonant experience. It was a game where combat, stealth and violence suited the world and characters in a way Nathan Drake's lighthearted killing sprees have never done. The Last of Us didn't entirely escape the confines of the formula and indeed wider AAA trends either, though. There were several particularly trigger happy sections - the sniper rifle at the top of the abandoned house stands out - that were unimaginative and IMO damaging to the overall pace and tone of the game. The general repetitiveness of the puzzle solving and navigation is also something that needs to be addressed - even a few extra assets to disguise the limited purview of the puzzles would go some way towards that.

There's this inherent conflict between being a narrative heavy game and a AAA action game, and while The Last of Us arguably comes closest to actively addressing that (along with the likes of Spec Ops: The Line) it doesn't quite manage to fully escape it either.

Druckmann said that whereas the first game was about the love between Joel and Ellie, the sequel will be about the hate.

Very interesting. I really wanted them to focus on entirely different characters but I'm now completely sold on this new direction.

Joel as antagonist? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The surgeon's child will come back and kill Joel.

Cant happen. You had the option to leave the surgeon alive so....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Kirby wrote: »

What?
    I stood there like a spare wally for a good minute wondering what to do with him. My patience eventually expired with him as I couldn't get past.
    Felt bad about the whole scene, feel worse now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

What?
    I stood there like a spare wally for a good minute wondering what to do with him. My patience eventually expired with him as I couldn't get past.
    Felt bad about the whole scene, feel worse now. :(
    You have to shoot the surgeon the other two can live. Even if you barely graze his toe with a bullet he falls over dead like he was shot in the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Ah OK, still, there was something about that whole scene
    that left a bitter after taste. Didn't feel right shooting at the surgeons despite what they were up to with experimentation and what not. Just wanted to grab Ellie and get the fug out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm really not confident in this at all, I don't think they ended the first game with any intentions of continuing the story of Joel and Ellie and they're now cobbling together whatever works. Really wish they just left them alone and explored more of this universe, the gameplay was always quite good but without a good story it's not worth playing.

I'm really not confident in this at all, I don't think they ended the first game with any intentions of continuing the story of Joel and Ellie and they're now cobbling together whatever works.

Druckmann said they'd be toying around with various ideas for 5 years and had given up because nothing felt right. But then they hit upon a story idea worth developing. I've no reason to doubt him. ND don't cobble things together.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Cant happen. You had the option to leave the surgeon alive so....

Huh? The kid could have already been born.

My comment was tongue in cheek though.

Advertisement