Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

hiatus hernia.

• 16-01-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

i,ve been suffering from severe indigestion and stomach problems for the past two years and have recently been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia.
    it started one day when i was working on mixing some concrete when i got a strange feeling in my stomach and a few days later i got a crippling pain in my shoulder.
    i went to my gp and he diagnosed it as a stomach ulcer.
    i have had bad days and good days after that but the heartburn got so bad i had to go to my gp again and this time he put me on nexium for a month .
    the nexium relieved the heart burn but i still had trouble sleeping and found it very hard to continue in my job as a bricklayer.
    eventually 2 years after first feeling sick and a lot of medication i went for a gastroscopy and i have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia. does this mean i will have to keep taking tablets for the rest of my life and has anybody else got this problem and how are they dealing with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've no experience with hiatus hernia, but I empathise with the stomach pain.
    Has your doctor not spoken to you about your diagnosis? Regarding what it is /how it's treated or looked after / what the next course of action is?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

no i have not spoken to my gp yet as i was diagnosed on thursday but i will be going to see him next week . the doctor in the hospital said i should continue on tablets for another while to see how it goes. but after two years i dont think its going to get any better.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I sympathise with you. I lived with a hiatus hernia from about 7 years. I was completely dependent on Nexium. Even then, I'd wake up in the morning with sore throats due to the acid.

Through chance, I ended up going to a different GP to my regular one and he suggested having a full scope and tests done. The scope confirmed the hiatus hernia and surgery was on the cards. To mollify the VHI, I had a test done to monitor the acid levels in my oesophagus over 24 hours. This involved having a tube rammed up my nose and down the back of my throat. It was extremely unpleasant but it was enough to convince the VHI to pay for a Nissen Fundoplication which I had done in the Galway Clinic.

I was 3 days in there, they did the op by keyhole. For about 6 weeks after I had trouble swallowing but this is normal. Now, 15 months on, I feel great and no longer live in a state of constant indigestion.

Next time you're in with your GP, ask them about the surgical option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I had the same operation as Robbo for my hiatus hernia. Was put on Nexium just like you and it relieved some of the symptoms. Had a scope and it revealed Barretts Esophagus so they decided to operate.

The Nissen Fundoplication was a painless operation for me, I had mine carried out in St James' Hospital by Prof. Reynolds. In on the Sunday night and was home Tuesday morning.

Have had no reflux since, and that's nearly two years ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well medical advice can't be given here so I wouldn't like to say anything that would be considered that. But I believe these things can most likely be brought under control, medication may be part of it, but only your doctor can tell you that.

A thing to consider though, which I'm sure you have, is your diet. Having a pretty dodgy stomach myself with reflux/touch of IBS I know that certain foods will set me off and I try to stay away. Making a food diary is a good idea, writing down what you eat and how you feel each day, you may find a pattern and could adjust your diet accordingly. If nothing else it will at least give some help.
    But again, go through everything with your doctor and hopefully they can figure out how to sort this now that you have a definative diagnosis.

Edit - I took too long to type and two above posters have given you their experience so maybe that's helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi Mossofort,

In this forum, we can't really deal with the first part of your question, but the second is fine. Guys, please don't give anything that could be considered medical advice.

ta!
    mossfort wrote: »
    does this mean i will have to keep taking tablets for the rest of my life and has anybody else got this problem and how are they dealing with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Robbo wrote: »
    I had a test done to monitor the acid levels in my oesophagus over 24 hours. This involved having a tube rammed up my nose and down the back of my throat. It was extremely unpleasant

I'm having this done next Monday.... :( Is it really bad? Like TheZohan, I'm dealing with Prof. Reynold's in St. James'. Great doctor, can only praise him. But absolutely sh*ting a brick about this acid test on Monday...

fend wrote: »
    I'm having this done next Monday.... :( Is it really bad? Like TheZohan, I'm dealing with Prof. Reynold's in St. James'. Great doctor, can only praise him. But absolutely sh*ting a brick about this acid test on Monday...

I didn't find it that bad. First they checked the efficiency of the muscle at the end of the esophagus. That takes appox 10 minutes of less and all they do is gently feed a tiny hose down through your nose to your esophagus. When that was in place the nurse asked me to swallow some water a few times.

After that they put a different more narrow tube down my nose and into my esophagus, just above the muscle for swallowing and taped the tube to my nose so it wouldn't come out of place. The other end of this tube was attached to a unit smaller than a PSP which I had to wear around my waist. for the 24 hours. There's a couple of buttons on the unit, you had to press one when you were eating, one if you were suffering from reflux and another if you lay down.

The procedure was painless and having the tube down my nose/esophagus was mildly uncomfortable but you soon get used to it. There was no ramming of anything anywhere for the procedure....some pretty fine nurses around the place too. ;)

I asked the technician how everything looked after the first test and then after the 24 hour monitoring. They have a pretty good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

You have NO idea how much that has helped... Everyone I speak to about it gives me the Wizard of Oz version.... Up until yesterday, I was basically led to believe that it would resemble a scene from The Sound of Music.....

Docs think I'll be heading down a similar route to all of you, so It's good to know there are other people out there in the same situation!

On top of the hernia, I'm having problems with the muscle at the end of esophagus, so suppose it's just a waiting game now to see what happens!

Anyone had the muscle problem and if so what was the remedy for this?

The doc will tell you how good or bad you effeciency of the sphincter muscle is, there is no point second guessing what the outcome will be or what the solution is until you have had the tests completed.

All I can tell you is that in my case the results were poor and the doctor recommended the Nissen Fundoplication, but I did have the underlying problem of Barretts.

When you're in the GI Clinic on Monday make sure you ask any questions you have then. The tech should be able to tell you how effective the sphincter muscle in your esophagus is.
    I remember my follow op appointment for my results came very soon after the tests were completed so you shouldn't have long to wait either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago and was put on one of the types of tablets. Since then I have just been using the tablets like I would have taken a renne tablet, whenever my stomach hurts i would take one. This would probably do me for a few days or more. I did go on a carb free diet a year or two ago for about 2 months and I did not need a single tablet in that time and I have since been diagnosed with diabetes so my diet has radically changed and I have not taken a tablet since November.
    I was told at the time they only operated if it was absolutely necessary as it was quite dangerous, they must have improved the method since then. I would definitely look into it if my symptoms return.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

thanks for all the replies . i went to see my gp and he suggested i keep taking the nexium for another few months and after that he suggested surgery would be an idea if its affecting my day to day lifestyle badly.
    he didnt seem to be familiar with what the surgery involved but said he would find out so i will just see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

I've been suffering with heartburn and indegestion as far back as I can remember. I was living on rennies for a long long time. I always figured it was normal for people to occasional get it and all the adverts on TV for gaviscon and rennie only reinforced this.

The last 2 years have been really bad though, waking up in the middle of the night, having to sit up in the bed etc... and thankfully my GF forced me into a doctor. He said it could be a number of different things and prescribed me 1 months supply of Zoton and sent a letter to Tallaght for an endoscopy exam to find the problem.

It was a very uncomfortable experience, but short, and I chose no sedation in order to be able to drive home but the doc carrying out the procedure, found a restricted esophagus due to scarring probably caused by the reflux and, a hiatus hernia. She told me there and then, I can either continue with the Zoton for the rest of my life, or go the operation route.

I was undecided, so arranged an appointment to see her (Dr. Barbara Ryan at the hermitage). That appointment wasn't cheap (225 for the first visit and 175 thereafter). In the meantime she prescribed nexium as its a little stronger. I told her I wanted surgery mainly because 30 tablet of either Zoton or Nexium cost about 70 jibs! She organised a 24 hour acid test as above.

You can't take either medication 7 days prior. Was booked into Tallaght again, and it took about 20 minutes. Really nice bloke. Colm something. He sat me, straight up, on the gurny, surgical lubricant in the nostril, and slowly slides a small cable into the nose. Head goes forward, and sip water through a straw, as he slowly slides it down the back of the throat. It felt a little gaggy, but its not too bad. Then he measures the muscles in the eosophagus.

Next an even smaller cable, same procedure, taped to your nose and neck, and attached to a small box. Standing/Prone, Eating/Not, a large button for reflex. It was difficult getting asleep and occasionally it was a little gaggy, but once you keep occupied your fine, and you can eat and drink as normal, except for alcohol.

I have to ring the hermitage Monday to check if the results are in, and hopefully everything is right for surgery.

I'm so glad my GF made me do something about it rather than living an painful life eating rennies every half hour. And for all the discomfort from the above tests, truth is they were nothing compared to what I was suffering the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I was diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia and severe gastristis almost a year ago. I had the symptoms for almost 2 years before this. I was given antibiotics for h.pylori and put on ppi's. Not much effect. I have had my gallbladder removed as they thought this might be the problme. Nope. Eventually after being on 6 different types of ppi's; nexium, zoton, zotrole etc..., I had enough and practically begged for a scope. So when I was diagnosed with the hiatal hernia I was told to stay on Nexium 40mg for four weeks and move to 20mg after this. This seemed stupid considering I was doubling up on the 40mg at the time of the scope!
    Obviously this didnt work and after MANY doctors appointments I got referred to the doctor who dis and saw her last week. I explained the tablets were keeping it at bay but that was it and recently they werent even doing that. So they are repeating the scope - apparently my word that its not better isnt enough- and sending me for the ph test in St James. So im hoping they will approve surgery, Im desperate, im in pain, I vomit, keep feeling that there is something stuck in my throat. Im only 25 and it really restricts me!
    My main question is, what is the diet afterwards? Like is it liquid for a while and then slowly build up or what? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Here's another thread on acid problems, diet is a BIG part of this. Try the Candida diet (it's very hard to stick to, give it 2 weeks) before you do anything. Try organic apple cider vinegar with the bits still in it in a glass bottle, cheap in health shops.

Get tested for the H.pylori bacteria that Creampuff mentioned.

My main question is, what is the diet afterwards? Like is it liquid for a while and then slowly build up or what? Thanks

Yes. You don't have a swallow for a while so anything with substance is quite difficult to eat. I was living on yogurts, soups and very soft cheese like the laughing cow triangles. I would chew the triangles until they almost dissolved but it felt like I was actually eating something.

It will drive you mad a bit but it slowly comes back. The hardest thing for me to do was drink water. Found water very difficult to swallow, and I imagined it would be the easiest, for obvious reasons.

I had a nissun fundoplication in june of last year and have not had a single issue with reflux since. Hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the info!! Im quite nervous about it but Im looking forward to not suffering at some point! Did you lose a lot of weight>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sugartri

Hi how long is the recovery time? Like how long was it before you felt better? Ive been reading other things of peple who were still on liquid diet at 4 months, in pain and feeling worse. Also, you cannot burp again ever so you cant have anything that can produce gas??? Sorry im freaking out a bit!

Sugartri wrote: »
    Hi how long is the recovery time? Like how long was it before you felt better? Ive been reading other things of peple who were still on liquid diet at 4 months, in pain and feeling worse. Also, you cannot burp again ever so you cant have anything that can produce gas??? Sorry im freaking out a bit!

Your burp isn't the same for a long long time, but it does come back. I was back eating solids at 6/7 weeks and probably could have waited longer but I was way too bored. The trick is to slowly introduce it back, as you would solids with a baby.

As I said, its over 8 months ago that I had my surgery, and I feel great, apart from occasional bloating which was caused by my diet being very poor. I've been to a nutritionist only very recently, and have started a diet plan. It was my diet that caused all the issues so I'm working towards fixing that. She made alot of suggestions and told me what was casuign the bloating. I would suggest to go see one as part of the procedure.

I thoroughly researched the operation beforehand, and I'm very glad I followed through, although it would not have been necessary if I had a proper diet and didn't smoke in my early 20's. Surgeon and every other medical professional sourced the cause of it all as poor diet, alcohol and smoking.

Thanks for the info!! Im quite nervous about it but Im looking forward to not suffering at some point! Did you lose a lot of weight>

I figured if I was living on soup I would, but I didn't as I was eating alot of ice-cream and junk food as it was very easy to swallow. If you keep a very strict diet and can stick to it then you should lose alot of weight, but I didn't because I didn't follow the plan. I'm in the process of sorting it now though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 zeppymk2

hi ive had a slight hiatus hernia for about 2 and a half years now and bein on nexium for 2 years and my gp told me that the surgey would not be a option for me and every time i go back to him he just gives me another 3 months worth of tablets. he has now put me up to 60mg of nexium a day and told me il be on them for the rest of my life. im lucky that i only feel nausea sometimes and the nexium handles the acid reflux but i still have a lot of discomfert every day with indigestion and belching even after a sip of water so i was wondering does anybody have tips about the belching and is there anyway around the gp to try and get help with the herina because he isnt takeing me seriously. im very restricted in what i can do day to day and i dont want to be stuck on tablets for the rest of my life

zeppymk2 wrote: »
    hi ive had a slight hiatus hernia for about 2 and a half years now and bein on nexium for 2 years and my gp told me that the surgey would not be a option for me and every time i go back to him he just gives me another 3 months worth of tablets. he has now put me up to 60mg of nexium a day and told me il be on them for the rest of my life. im lucky that i only feel nausea sometimes and the nexium handles the acid reflux but i still have a lot of discomfert every day with indigestion and belching even after a sip of water so i was wondering does anybody have tips about the belching and is there anyway around the gp to try and get help with the herina because he isnt takeing me seriously. im very restricted in what i can do day to day and i dont want to be stuck on tablets for the rest of my life

Get a second opinion. Also have a look at your diet, certain foods will trigger the reflux. I assume you've been scoped?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JC1203

Your burp isn't the same for a long long time, but it does come back. I was back eating solids at 6/7 weeks and probably could have waited longer but I was way too bored. The trick is to slowly introduce it back, as you would solids with a baby.

As I said, its over 8 months ago that I had my surgery, and I feel great, apart from occasional bloating which was caused by my diet being very poor. I've been to a nutritionist only very recently, and have started a diet plan. It was my diet that caused all the issues so I'm working towards fixing that. She made alot of suggestions and told me what was casuign the bloating. I would suggest to go see one as part of the procedure.

I thoroughly researched the operation beforehand, and I'm very glad I followed through, although it would not have been necessary if I had a proper diet and didn't smoke in my early 20's. Surgeon and every other medical professional sourced the cause of it all as poor diet, alcohol and smoking.
    I am currently researching this procedure also and noticed that you had already conducted extensive research. Do you mind me asking where you had the procedure done and by whom? Thank you.

JC1203 wrote: »
    I am currently researching this procedure also and noticed that you had already conducted extensive research. Do you mind me asking where you had the procedure done and by whom? Thank you.

All the consultations were through the hermitage clinic and the actual procedure was carried out in Tallaght hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

I am so glad i've found this thread.
    Started about three years ago each night when i went to bed. Got short of breath and could feel my heart beat in my ears, doctors out it down to panic attacks and prescribed drugs for this. Didnt work each time i ate i would get severe heartburn when i sat down but just fobbed it off. Devoloped a contant cough, well not really a cough more of a *AHEM* if that makes sense, like constantly clearing your throat.
    Went back to doctors several times with symptoms and was sent for scope.
    When i went for the scope I rejected it because my throat was so burned by the acid i constantly wretch when anything is pressed more than halfway down my tongue.
    Had a second scope under full anesthetic and it worked. showed up hernia.
    Went back to doc thinking that i would be sent forward for surgery and they said no that surgery was the last thing they would do, they would try medicating it and sorting my diet, it felt like they were trying everything BUT the thing that would fix the problem. I'm on 60 mg of Nexium a day and 20mg of Rantidine at night and still wake up with my throat burning and sore and stomach in bad pain.
    Before Christmas i lost my swallow and ended up in A&E ended up going to another doctor and he sent a letter to Prof O Connor in Tallaght Hosp to find out Why i haven' been put forward for the op.
    My life has practically stopped cause of this illness, used to be a weightlifter and really fit, cannot socialize because nearly all drinks make me short of breath.
    Don't know what to do anymore, I've been told because i have no health ins and no medical card i will be left waiting on any sort of help.
    I've contemplated ending it twice its gotten so bad and that's the first time I have told anyone, not even my wife and family.
    Recently i spoke to a nurse that works in Gastro and she explained what way to put to the prof at my next appointmen to maybe tell him the severity of how i'm feeling, Next appointment is end of Jan so fingers crossed.

davidd24 wrote: »
    Started about three years ago each night when i went to bed. Got short of breath and could feel my heart beat in my ears, doctors out it down to panic attacks and prescribed drugs for this. Didnt work each time i ate i would get severe heartburn when i sat down but just fobbed it off. Devoloped a contant cough, well not really a cough more of a *AHEM* if that makes sense, like constantly clearing your throat.
    When i went for the scope I rejected it because my throat was so burned by the acid i constantly wretch when anything is pressed more than halfway down my tongue.
    Went back to doc thinking that i would be sent forward for surgery and they said no that surgery was the last thing they would do, they would try medicating it and sorting my diet, it felt like they were trying everything BUT the thing that would fix the problem. I'm on 60 mg of Nexium a day and 20mg of Rantidine at night and still wake up with my throat burning and sore and stomach in bad pain.
    Before Christmas i lost my swallow and ended up in A&E ended up going to another doctor and he sent a letter to Prof O Connor in Tallaght Hosp to find out Why i haven' been put forward for the op.
    My life has practically stopped cause of this illness, used to be a weightlifter and really fit, cannot socialize because nearly all drinks make me short of breath.
    Don't know what to do anymore, I've been told because i have no health ins and no medical card i will be left waiting on any sort of help.
    I've contemplated ending it twice its gotten so bad and that's the first time I have told anyone, not even my wife and family.
    Recently i spoke to a nurse that works in Gastro and she explained what way to put to the prof at my next appointmen to maybe tell him the severity of how i'm feeling, Next appointment is end of Jan so fingers crossed.

Best of luck with the appointment. Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JC1203

Do you recall the name of the surgeon in the Galway clinic? I live in Galway and have a similar problem. I know a couple of people that had the procedure done in other hospitals and it was not successful, so I definitely want to go to someone that has a good track record to hopefully get a similar outcome to you. Thanks, John.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daisymai

The name of the guy in the Galway clinic is professor mc enena. I have been to see him for a consult re having the Nissan fundoplication op done

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

davidd24 wrote: »
    Update from my previous post,
    I've been sent forward for surgery.
    After realising the amount of medication i was on 120mg of Nexium + 300mg Of Rantidine @ night they referred me to a Surgeon, Ive been told expect an appointment in the next three months to see surgeon and get the ball rolling.

• Advertisement

Congratulations. Its a life changing operation!

Advertisement