Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feature Requests

• 16-01-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

I hope you don't mind me posting here but couldn't find a relevant section. Had a few features that I'd love to see in the game.

The first, and one of my favourite if implemented properly into a game, is iCloud sync for game data. Hate when both my iOS devices are not in sync with game progress. I know it's mainly just achievements that would need to be synced for The Jump but would really like to see it. Hate having to redo tasks again when switching devices. Usually means ill only play the game on one device and won't bother with the other. Cut The Rope, Tiny Wings and Vice City all have it integrated and I love the games and play them a lot more often than I would of.

Another suggestion would he a choice to use your own music as the background music in game. Although I have to admit the chosen music is right up my street. Brilliant choices. But still like to see the option.

I've mentioned it in the poll thread but an option to choose which jumping option you'd like.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is already planned, but I'd like to see Game Centre integration. Not sure if this is included and can't be used until the game is officially released but hope to see it either way.

Just a few suggestions I'd be happy to see integrated. :D

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok I wont bullsh*t but a lot of these wont make release (which we are planning in a matter of days). :( Here is some response to them anyway!

1. iCloud: yes... would be nice to have planned this from the start. Dunno if its a killer feature but for Game # 2 we will see if we cant include that from the start.

2. Own music... well we thought about that but the reason is that the ending is closely tied in with the music. So each score has an 8 second segment which is specifically timed as a cresendo for the big finale (The Jump) , so using your own music isnt really an option. That said, if our programmers didnt growl every time I approach them now, just as a warning to me not to even *think* about new features, I would want this in.

3. Jumping, we debated this back and forth and back again and ultimately for a lot of different reasons, we chose to stick to swiping and fix the issues with sensitivity of each device. The forthcoming release candidate has this new system in it and it seems a lot more reliable. Changing jumping to offer an option means redoing tutorials and manuals and all that stuff too. Its a non-trivial task at this point in the dev.

4. Game centre integration is planned afaik, but dont quote me on it. I dont want to get growled at again. :)

Next time I think we will be even earlier with User tests to allow us more time to react to feedback. As it was, we've pushed back the deadlines as much as we can to incorporate as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Having iCloud sync is a personal love of mine. I'm sure a lot of people won't have multiple iOS devices and won't care. Just something I like to see in an app. The Jump wouldn't really be lacking because of it but when I see games like Angry birds, which still hasn't implemented it, I'm lost trying to understand why. As a result I don't bother playing anymore.

Game Centre integration would be nice and the custom background music again isn't a big let down as I think the chosen music is excellent and very catchy.

In relation to jumping I agree and think it really just needs to be a little more sensitive and react quicker. Otherwise it's an excellent app.

BTW is there still some kind of animation to be added to the finish? A cut scene or short video maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

DubDJ wrote: »
    BTW is there still some kind of animation to be added to the finish? A cut scene or short video maybe?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stevie_Wonder

DeVore wrote: »
    2. Own music... well we thought about that but the reason is that the ending is closely tied in with the music. So each score has an 8 second segment which is specifically timed as a cresendo for the big finale (The Jump) , so using your own music isnt really an option. That said, if our programmers didnt growl every time I approach them now, just as a warning to me not to even *think* about new features, I would want this in.

Could you fade out the user selected music near the end and play the 8 second segment? That's probably a bit crude but something along those lines. I really don't like the music in the game and now I choose to have no music playing at all.

DeVore wrote: »
    3. Jumping, we debated this back and forth and back again and ultimately for a lot of different reasons, we chose to stick to swiping and fix the issues with sensitivity of each device. The forthcoming release candidate has this new system in it and it seems a lot more reliable. Changing jumping to offer an option means redoing tutorials and manuals and all that stuff too. Its a non-trivial task at this point in the dev.

Jumping for me is quite an issue. Every time I go for a jump I expect to die! I thought speed had a part to play i.e. the faster the better, in it but I just had a game there were I was sauntering along and jumping over everything. Maybe it's just my device (Jiayu G2S)?

I also think the resurrect is pretty pointless unless there's a few seconds invincibility with it. There were a lot of times I fell through a hole, was resurrected and positioned right before the hole, and from a starting start fell through the hole again.

• Advertisement

Jumping for me is quite an issue. Every time I go for a jump I expect to die! I thought speed had a part to play i.e. the faster the better, in it but I just had a game there were I was sauntering along and jumping over everything. Maybe it's just my device (Jiayu G2S)?

I also think the resurrect is pretty pointless unless there's a few seconds invincibility with it. There were a lot of times I fell through a hole, was resurrected and positioned right before the hole, and from a starting start fell through the hole again.

Thanks Stevie - sounds like performance probs tbh - resurrections all put you to a selected respawn point with enough time to avoid obstacles. Jumping is now mega-responsive unless the device is experiencing a lag on controls. We'll check out the spec and see where it fits in the list of supported phones.

So, back to the music. I think it should be changed, I don't believe it adds anything to the gameplay (sorry DJ Poet). I tried playing the game to some other music tonight and I think it really adds energy to it.

If you'll indulge me. Turn the music off in the game.

Start the game and immediately start playing the video. I think something like this would suit the game a lot better and funnily enough the accents in the song start matching with the speed boosts.

EDIT: You might need to give it a couple of tries but the pace of the song definitely matches with the pace of the game.

So, back to the music. I think it should be changed, I don't believe it adds anything to the gameplay (sorry DJ Poet). I tried playing the game to some other music tonight and I think it really adds energy to it.

If you'll indulge me. Turn the music off in the game.

Start the game and immediately start playing the video. I think something like this would suit the game a lot better and funnily enough the accents in the song start matching with the speed boosts.

EDIT: You might need to give it a couple of tries but the pace of the song definitely matches with the pace of the game.

Thanks Stevie - the music is set in stone at this stage and we've had hugely positive feedback so far.

We've a long list of games in the works and some are music related, so there'll be something for everyone down the tracks. For our first outing its huge for us to land a big name like Poet, even if he's not to everyone's taste.

There is little trick though (on iPhone at least)... You can deselect all songs on the music screen if you wish. It just leaves on sfx and takes music from device if you're playing any. If you're already listening to something, just fire up the game and you'll hear both- you can also switch tasks and mix as you wish ;)

karlh wrote: »
    Thanks Stevie - the music is set in stone at this stage and we've had hugely positive feedback so far.

We've a long list of games in the works and some are music related, so there'll be something for everyone down the tracks. For our first outing its huge for us to land a big name like Poet, even if he's not to everyone's taste.

There is little trick though (on iPhone at least)... You can deselect all songs on the music screen if you wish. It just leaves on sfx and takes music from device if you're playing any. If you're already listening to something, just fire up the game and you'll hear both- you can also switch tasks and mix as you wish ;)

Just to be clear, my issue isn't particularly with the style of music but rather the tempo, it's far too slow and doesn't match the pacing of the game (except at the very start).

EDIT: I know about the trick, it's the only reason I still play this game.

Anyway, as you said the song is set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd say it's just personal preference tbh.

I quite like the music in the game but wouldn't listen to anything like it outside of the game.

For me I prefer it to what you posted but again it's all just preference.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    I'd say it's just personal preference tbh.

I quite like the music in the game but wouldn't listen to anything like it outside of the game.

For me I prefer it to what you posted but again it's all just preference.

Fair enough!

Advertisement