Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does county of car registration matter to you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Never understood why a re-reg option to county of residence wasn't introduced at change of ownership

Screw it, why don't we just print the serial number on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

those in the motor industry will tell you a D reg is a plus or a minus depending on what allows them take advantage of you

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just as a side note, I drove up to Donegal there a couple of times the last couple of years, expecting to be driving rally tracks.

The roads are ****ing in great nick where I went, compared to some other places I've been in Ireland.

I reckon it's a scam to get more money from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

picked up a car in Jan buying from a dealer in cork, i myself live in wicklow but the car is a D reg. They advised its just better all round i myself didnt even know this was possible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

MO reg in Roscommon will get you evil glances, similarly an RN reg in Leitrim and local people will shun you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hiace van with WX reg. Alert Alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

rossie1977 wrote: »
    MO reg in Roscommon will get you evil glances, similarly an RN reg in Leitrim and local people will shun you

Ehhhh... no they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Had a DL reg car for 8 years. Never had a bit of bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

On anything prestige, it is wise to put a D on it. Anything else, particularly a "very country" plate will hinder resale. You'll even see main Audi/BMW/Merc dealers in particular always register their demos with a D.

For anything else, it doesn't matter a fiddlers, other than the owner's preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

the_syco wrote: »
    SO reg = good chance of rusty undercarriage.
    Yeah, but our cars are sound though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

I hate that my new demo buy has a D reg. I live very rural and we are inundated with Dubs and others - many driving aggressively and speeding on our narrow roads. I am very irritated that my own aggressive and speedy driving with irritation - as a local - is going unnoticed .. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

I have finally found the person that needs the writing on the motorway to be upside down.

Odd statement - if you are in a collision or have an incident with a car - you do read left to right - you will only get 121-d-x etc. you probably wont get a chance to get the full reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The Irish number plate system is awful, it's a status badge for many to pretend they are well off when a lot just borrowed money to pay for the car. It's very much a sales driven system.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

jester77 wrote: »
    The Irish number plate system is awful, it's a status badge for many to pretend they are well off when a lot just borrowed money to pay for the car. It's very much a sales driven system.

That, and the need to make the letters I and O, numbers 1 and 0 unambiguous - back in the day the summonses could be fought in court if the reg was incorrect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

jester77 wrote: »

Fur coat no knickers brigade, they're all over Clare at the moment... spending Money they don't have. Big powerful car's and perpetual debt.

Secretly I'm really jealous of people who are in dire straits.
    Pot calling the kettle black and all that Steam...

I'd love a posh urban accent and to have only the light in the fridge...

Jealous bastard signing out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I presume most of the cars in Ireland are D Reg anyway, given it's population - previous car I had was one, 07 D and about 17 orher numbers....

Current one is CW, bought it new last year. I presume year and mileage are more important than county, or am i naive?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I honestly couldn’t give a rats arse where - or when - a car reg number indicates.

Personally, I have never bought a car brand new - usually second-hand after one or two owners, so around 3 to 7 years after new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

D x 3
    MH x 5
    LH
    WW
    C
    G

Couple UK regs

Something like that
    Could not care less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I never knew this was a thing but it seems to be mentioned a lot in the Covid threads......Kerry/Galway/Waterford are fully of Dubz on their staycation, car park full of D reg cars etc.

I've never had a car registration plate that matched my home county or the county I live in. Never buy new usually 1-2 old and the reg number doesn't feature as a consideration when buying.

The only person I know who consistency has a reg number from the same county is by father who buys a new car every 3 years, same dealer, same model, etc but he's old school.

Is this really a thing?

Im from Waterford and drive a D reg car, get plenty of looks when in Tramore but doesn't really phase me.

Be different if I got out of the car and started talking with a Dublin accent but I've a strong Waterford accent so that gives it away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'm no medical expert but I've heard about the rise of the caronavirus in Laois, Offaly and Kildare so obviously I wouldn't go near LS, OY or KE, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

County for me is fine.

Can someone explain why skyboys like having yellow reg. plates? I thought the youth these days are into tan-bashing and Kneecap but they're using plates that look like the cars are from up north.

Also, I presume they swap the plates for NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

FionnK86 wrote: »
    County for me is fine.

Can someone explain why skyboys like having yellow reg. plates? I thought the youth these days are into tan-bashing and Kneecap but they're using plates that look like the cars are from up north.

It’s silly alright , Surely they are pulled over by the guards Regularly ?

Another big thing I’ve noticed is the German font on the regs going around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

FionnK86 wrote: »
    County for me is fine.

I think the yellow plates are so they aren't noticeable as Irish plates when parking in NI. That's my understanding of it anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I used to do a regular radio show at a pirate radio station in town just off the quays there. Drove in in my WX plated Seat Cordoba. It was in rough shape but did the job. Anyway, the lock on the driver's side was acting up to the point where I was afraid to lock it for fear it wouldn't open again.
    I finished my show and put my records back in the car. I still had to go to the quays to drop the studio keys back to the desk. I decided I'd put the records in the boot, out of sight and close but not lock the driver door.
    Probably 3 to 4 minutes from closing that door to returning to the car and I notice someone is in there rummaging around in the glove box, I shout and grab the cnut out. He had a plastic back with my headphones in it. He had pulled the rear seats forward to get access to the boot. Besides the records I had 2 bags of tapes but nothing much of resale value to this junkie.
    Anyway, after I grab him out and grabbed my headphones back off him he starts pleading with me saying "Sorry, I didn't know you were a Dub (based on my accent), I thought you were from Wexford! I never woulda done it if I knew you were a Dub!"
    I guess his tactic kinda worked cos instead of punching the head off him I felt sorry for him and just pushed him away.
    TBH they were a ****ty fill in set of headphones for ones I recent broke. It was the records I was most worried about but the bag was too heavy for the skin foook.

TL;DR - A junkie thought is was okay to break into my WX reg car in Dublin but I caught him rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

I do care, Dublin only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I’d never buy a D reg, even though I live in Dublin. Don’t want to be mistaken for a jackeen.

Mistaken for a jackeen is nearly as bad as confirmed as a bleedin culchie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I'm disgusted by the T reg, the idea that someone could possibly think I'm from TS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've about eight non-Dub friends that give my address when purchasing or importing cars so they'll get their precious D reg.

Personally, I've one D reg, one SO reg and one C reg at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

A DL reg will never have seen a days tax or test.

Not true, we test them sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

BuboBubo wrote: »
    I think the yellow plates are so they aren't noticeable as Irish plates when parking in NI. That's my understanding of it anyway.

That makes a bit of sense, you might get a slagging from your mates but at least it won't be burnt out!

Advertisement