Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei /Honor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

joe123 wrote: »
    Ordered this myself. How long does delivery take with Address Pal roughly? I have it set to pick up at my local post office.

I used pm, ordered on Monday, its been delivered to parcel motel already..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Ordered this myself. How long does delivery take with Address Pal roughly? I have it set to pick up at my local post office.

My laptop has been sitting in Heathrow since midday yesterday, got a text from addresspal earlier today saying delivery in up to next 2 working days

Ordered midday Monday, delivered to addresspal midday Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yeah I'm using post office pick up so they don't send out any additional notification until its at the local post office.

The DHL delivery was very quick, got word yesterday it was delivered. Since heard I'm looking at appx. 5-7 days.

Yeah I'm using post office pick up so they don't send out any additional notification until its at the local post office.

The DHL delivery was very quick, got word yesterday it was delivered. Since heard I'm looking at apps. 5-7 days.

I actually meant to use the pick up option but used the wrong address when I was ordering.

I thought An Post would bring over a plane load everyday, was surprised my order was still in Heathrow today

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

Great contributions and advice here thanks Glasso

Looks a great piece of kit, great value as well
    Only thing that I am not sure about is the camera placement on keyboard
    Going to be doing a lot of interviews supervisions (more than usual because of covid) for college the next while.

Is there any other options similar to this with camera on top of screen

Thanks

• Advertisement

no. nothing in the price range compares.

buy a usb webcam would be my advice if you don't have a nasal hair trimmer.

this seems a decent webcam with autofocus, microphone, wide angle, can be put on a tripod and deals well with light.

for £40

definitely lot better than what you'd get with any laptop anyway so worthwhile if you're going to be doing a lot of video calls

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campark-Autofocus-Microphone-Streaming-Conferencing-BLACK/dp/B089LR8C6R/ref=sr_1_3?crid=BVR6BS9WUVS0&dchild=1&keywords=webcam+autofocus&qid=1597490246&s=computers&sprefix=webcam+au%2Ccomputers%2C181&sr=1-3

Haha very good

Thanks ya will go ahead I think and do that with the usb webcam.

Is Amazon.uk best route value wise?
    I am thinking 2yr accidental break cover would be good as well, was on he Honor website but they don't seem to have any of the 500gb+ option left.
    Looks to be still available on Amazon uk

Is is the 500gb space all ssd ?

Thanks again

amazon a good option for cover yes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085YM9K63/ref=twister_B08CLM7YZJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

£499 for 256gb

£549 for 512gb

you'll have the windows install so probably 200gb free

fine if you're not installing huge games and storing lots of video really

honor you have the free gift option

that webcam is also going on sale on a lightening deal tomorrow Aug 16 at 9:15am down to about £32 I think

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    amazon a good option for cover yes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085YM9K63/ref=twister_B08CLM7YZJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

£499 for 256gb

£549 for 512gb

you'll have the windows install so probably 200gb free

fine if you're not installing huge games and storing lots of video really

honor you have the free gift option

Thanks for all the advice

glasso wrote: »
    that webcam is also going on sale on a lightening deal tomorrow Aug 16 at 9:15am down to about £32 I think

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrtoast

Thanks for all the info on this thread already- really makes choosing a laptop easier.
    The Honor magic book looks great. My only worry is that there may be difficulties accessing gmail, google, google earth etc . Has that been an issue for anyone who has recently bought the Honor or Huawei laptops?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭jusvi2001

mno101 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Magicbook 14 arrived yesterday with the watch.
    I ordered directly from hihomor.co.uk and got delivered via addresspal to local Post Office.
    Laptop is very solid and very portable....performance is fine...but have not really done anything demanding yet. The camera is interesting...pops up on the keyboard...may not suit everyone...but fine for my limited video needs.
    So far the watch is great...but also still figuring it out.

total cost in Euro was 591 + 3.95 for address pal. this was cheaper that originally stated as I was able to get stg15.00 vouchers on the Hihonor website when i registered.

cheers
    mno101

Hi

I have just made an order from honor uk through addresspal (local post office collection). In your case how long it took for you for addresspal to deliver it from UK to Ireland. Also did you get any tracking details from addresspal?

Many thanks

I ordered midday last Monday, delivered to addresspal depot in UK midday on the Wednesday, arrived at my house this morning

I ordered midday last Monday, delivered to addresspal depot in UK midday on the Wednesday, arrived at my house this morning

Did you choose post office collection or home delivery?

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    Did you choose post office collection or home delivery?

I got home delivery

I got home delivery

I have opted for post office collection. someone mentioned that they don't send tracking details for post office collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Just to say thanks for the advise on this thread. Got myself the Honor magicbook with the watch. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mno101

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    Hi

I have just made an order from honor uk through addresspal (local post office collection). In your case how long it took for you for addresspal to deliver it from UK to Ireland. Also did you get any tracking details from addresspal?

Many thanks

HOnor delivered to addresspal location in Hatfield on Fri 31st July. It arrived at my post office on Thu 6th Aug...however there was an issue with my delivery becasue the last digit of adrdresspal code got cut off....so anpost had to do some checking. may have cause ad delay of a day or 2.

• Advertisement

Finally got to have a look at my laptop today.

Havn't done anything to stressful on it yet but its a lovely machine.

Thanks @glasso for all the advice

Sunday - online Oder placed with Honor UK

Tuesday - Delivered to Addresspal Hatfield UK

Thursday - Ready for collection at my local Postoffice

Excellent turnaround time from Honor uk and Addresspal

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Would this laptop be able to run multiple Excel sheets aswell as python and Java?
    Or would I better off going with the laptops tritium mentions in his thread?

Sorry I know nothing about laptops
    Only ever used the computers in college which I am guessing won't be available to me this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

they are meant to be bringing out newer cpu amd 4000 and intel 10th gen.its coming out in China first.i read in some thread build quality was not that good but i have never taken one apart the mate book starts shipping 24th august in China and magic book announcing on second September so you should see price drops on both laptops.if you can wait until October November for any laptop purchase you can buy the better amd 4000 or intel 10th gen rather than the 2-3 year old cpus they are selling now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

what do people think of refurbed Dell Inspirons versus the Honor Magic Book / Huawei Mate book. similar specs, but i have to buy 2 for secondary school kids and the refurbs will come in around €420-470 each give or take.

ablelocks wrote: »
    what do people think of refurbed Dell Inspirons versus the Honor Magic Book / Huawei Mate book. similar specs, but i have to buy 2 for secondary school kids and the refurbs will come in around €420-470 each give or take.

If it is similar spec i would go for new ones as it comes with warranty and option for extended warranty(i have 4 years on my lenova). I think refurbished ones comes with only limited warranty. if anything goes wrong with the laptops its very expensive to get it fixed out of warranty.

Ordered Huawei 512gb on Amazon.co.uk over a week ago now, order coming up as still pending, I'm guessing the 512gb are scarce at the moment, anyone know is there anywhere else I can get same spec for around same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

The 256GB Honor Magicbook is now £449 with a gift on the site for the next few days !

a clanger wrote: »
    The 256GB Honor Magicbook is now £449 with a gift on the site for the next few days !

can't argue with that price.

fantastic build quality.

people tend to get caught up in obsessions about having the latest cpu (AMD 4000 man!) but this laptop is absolutely plenty for the majority of people's uses. (it's NOT a dedicated gaming laptop but can game on older and light titles - football manager, rocket league, will even run GTA V fine at 720p)

the good thermal-cooling design and dual-channel ram get the most out of the quad-core 3500u cpu in this unit.

at this price it's a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Hi, I am really tempted by the honor magicbook 15 at its current price. I had also considered buying a refurbished laptop, either lenovo (thinkpad) or Dell with them being more established laptop brands. Am unsure what to do and would welcome honest opinions on what would be best. I will be using the laptop primarily for college work and want something reliable and fast for the next 4 years or so.

I had been looking at a refurbished Dell latitude with the following spec for around €550:

Core i5-6300U 6th Generation @ 2.4 GHz256GB SSD8GB RAMWindows 10 HomeVGA, HDMI

How would this or a similar spec lenovo refurbished model compare with the honor magicbook?
    Or any other suggestions? My budget would be 500.
    Thanks!

Advertisement