Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Daffodil bulbs? Is it planting time?

I think I'd like some daffs out in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Posy wrote: »
    Daffodil bulbs? Is it planting time?

I think I'd like some daffs out in my garden.

People generally plant them from about September onwards!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Feeling a bit low today....but also nostalgic....remembering how much I loved Christmas when I was a child...still do, but it's not the same when you're a single adult :o:(

Oh leahyl I really feel for you Christmas and New Years can be A lonely Time of the year when you’re single.

But please remember you’re never alone when you have all of us here. And I’m always around for a chat or if you ever need to vent.

And as Jude said the grass is always greener on the other side. It’s ok to have days like this. I know you’ll bounce back soon enough and hopefully there’ll be a few snowy days ahead to help cheer you up :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mini Egg just turned 2. I'm now looking to get him a wooden Christmas Eve box. Any recommendations? The ones on winemax.ie look nice.

Starting to get that Christmassy tingle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Mini Egg just turned 2. I'm now looking to get him a wooden Christmas Eve box. Any recommendations? The ones on winemax.ie look nice.

Starting to get that Christmassy tingle. :)

A friend of mine does them. You can see samples of her work here https://m.facebook.com/pg/jessabellecrafts/photos/ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Leahyl I echo loughc, I am here anytime you need a chat, we all have downs sometimes, I have had some last a year. As I am in a different timezone I will take the early morning chats.

My OH asked me last night if I was ordering in a turkey (as its a thing here) or cooking, I of course said cooking one. I may regret this however when at the last minute I will be panicking over cooking a turkey. I need to schedule out the brineing, pealing of veg, I also need to make a veggie option for one of our potential guest, which means two stuffings and two mains. Not complaining as I have dietary requirements too.

I would love to have the skills to make a Christmas eve box, however I am struggling with coveting a dog house into a play house at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Leahyl, also always around if you fancy a chat, either here or in PM. I'm a big believer in talking :)
    Jude13 wrote: »
    My OH asked me last night if I was ordering in a turkey (as its a thing here) or cooking, I of course said cooking one. I may regret this however when at the last minute I will be panicking over cooking a turkey. I need to schedule out the brineing, pealing of veg, I also need to make a veggie option for one of our potential guest, which means two stuffings and two mains. Not complaining as I have dietary requirements too.

I took more of a role in cooking the turkey last year for the first time. Was at a turkey presentation (how to pick one, prepare it, cook it etc) in a local butcher the November before so was very gung ho about doing the whole thing. Wouldn't lie was a bit of pressure on the day however all turned out alright. I'm sure you'll be fine Jude.

On the veggie option we did a nut loaf for my brother in law and he loved it. Maybe something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As someone who has gone on record here as having a tough time of it a few years back I can fully endorse that the fine folk in here are a fantastic outlet, even browsing through old threads in the middle of summer a few years back gave my spirits a tremendous boost at a time I was struggling with work stress, so feel free to reach out or just chat away, whatever helps you get through your day basically. Whether that be Christmas or anything else related.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Been a couple of foggy mornings this week. Beginning to feel a slight turn to autumn. Looking forward to the start of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks to all of you for being so kind :) This forum always cheers me up when I'm down anyway!

• Advertisement

Tis the spirit of Christmas! One of the things I am looking forward to at the moment is the excuse of "...but its Christmas!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9n_t1r6i4) to enable me to eat sweets for breakfast.

Tis the spirit of Christmas! One of the things I am looking forward to at the moment is the excuse of "...but its Christmas!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9n_t1r6i4) to enable me to eat sweets for breakfast.

Better then drinking aftershave :D

Look what I got in Aldi Today!(It's new stock dated June 2021)
    117748261_2708499919472612_5731097255065794449_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=y9jbDSJHpkMAX9MjaZR&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1dfa1a753ab485411c7ad0f5188ed7d8&oe=5F56A25C

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have to lose my summer weight fast, so I can start gaining it back at Christmas! :D

I have to lose my summer weight fast, so I can start gaining it back at Christmas! :D

Thank god slimming world is back tomorrow for me. That’s all I’m saying haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Thats me too :D Burst myself before Christmas,
    because I write off the month of December to all the bad things :rolleyes:
    like chocolate, mince pies and copious amounts of alcohol :D:D

Ditto, especially as Christmas is the best weather here and there will be many firms beer garden type Christmas parties. October is the real kick off for my get in shape, its when our salaries are brought back to pre-covid levels so I can pay for some training that I had planned for earlier in the year, shorter commute, my shoulder should be better, and I will get stuck in for two months before Christmas.

We are going to Ikea on Thursday to pick up a storage thingy majig so I was looking on the site, had to search for Christmas. Very little stock so far.

I'm in the posy club, was starting to do okay but this week has 100% set me back, but its been great fun so I shouldn't complain... but I need to make room for my Christmas baggage soon or I'll be needing a new wardrobe.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Thats me too :D Burst myself before Christmas,
    because I write off the month of December to all the bad things :rolleyes:
    like chocolate, mince pies and copious amounts of alcohol :D:D

you and me sir will get on like a house on fire... pass the mince pies!

We are going to Ikea on Thursday to pick up a storage thingy majig so I was looking on the site, had to search for Christmas. Very little stock so far.

At least you'll get the IKEA assembly workout in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ordered a few books from bookstation.ie and one of them was Neven Maguires "Perfect Irish Christmas" :D I love looking through these kinds of books even if, realistically, I'll probably make only one thing out of it :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

About 11 years ago I got one of those booklets with Christmas recipes as an insert to the good housekeeping magazine. There was not a single recipe in it that was a dud.

Then I started to collect different other recipes from various other sources, so in the end I typed up my own Christmas Bible. Then added in other christmassy stuff, like a list of who to buy for, when to order what, and reminders for things like tickets to our usual Christmassy traditions. Knowing I have it means that I actually enjoy the process and if I ever get hit by a bus at least the OH has a step by step countdown, comprehensive shopping list and can recreate Christmas just like I do it. And see how much I actually do behind the scenes.

We've only a few more Santa years left but we've enough other traditions that when that bubble bursts it's will hopefully still be almost the same as other years. This year I plan to make my own crackers. I'll be squinting at everything to see if it will fit in a toilet roll tube from now to December!

Neyite wrote: »
    About 11 years ago I got one of those booklets with Christmas recipes as an insert to the good housekeeping magazine. There was not a single recipe in it that was a dud.

Then I started to collect different other recipes from various other sources, so in the end I typed up my own Christmas Bible. Then added in other christmassy stuff, like a list of who to buy for, when to order what, and reminders for things like tickets to our usual Christmassy traditions. Knowing I have it means that I actually enjoy the process and if I ever get hit by a bus at least the OH has a step by step countdown, comprehensive shopping list and can recreate Christmas just like I do it. And see how much I actually do behind the scenes.

We've only a few more Santa years left but we've enough other traditions that when that bubble bursts it's will hopefully still be almost the same as other years. This year I plan to make my own crackers. I'll be squinting at everything to see if it will fit in a toilet roll tube from now to December!

That is brilliant. A Christmas handbook if you will.

It could turn into a family heirloom to be passed down generation to generation :)

117445260_3394038157328209_4491346529323313508_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=YyQsD64OHYAAX-50Co1&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&tp=14&oh=23832fd1604f127af0d0b24035201ec8&oe=5F5BB06B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭antimatterx

117445260_3394038157328209_4491346529323313508_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=YyQsD64OHYAAX-50Co1&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&tp=14&oh=23832fd1604f127af0d0b24035201ec8&oe=5F5BB06B

So much this.

I'm hearing the phrase 'Life before Covid' so much there days.

We're looking at booking a trip flying out the 26th or 27th of Dec for a week. The places people have stayed and recommend are getting booked up fast, however the rules of these places have changed so if you cancel you lose the payment. Its a serious gamble.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

TRS30 wrote: »
    That is brilliant. A Christmas handbook if you will.

It could turn into a family heirloom to be passed down generation to generation :)

I quite like the idea of future grandchildren sucking up to me in the hopes that they'll be left the coveted Christmas Handbook in my will. :D

We're looking at booking a trip flying out the 26th or 27th of Dec for a week. The places people have stayed and recommend are getting booked up fast, however the rules of these places have changed so if you cancel you lose the payment. Its a serious gamble.

Is that local in the middle east? I take that if book fast then no bargins to be had in case you did have to cancel. Is travel insurance any use?

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Is travel insurance any use?

Didnt do us any good at all. Followed all the rules and got stiffed for 2.5k. Insurance company awful to deal with too. Still bitter over the whole thing TBH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement