Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭jasonb

As someone posted earlier, it's important to remember that if you do a chargeback and the bank give you your money, that isn't necessarily the end of the process. After the bank give you your money they contact the airline, and if the airline disputes your chargeback the bank will take away the money again. I think the airline have 30 days to respond, so the money could be taken again a month later. Just something to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭daheff

daheff wrote: »
    Is there any way of checking if a flight actually took off afterwards?

Was due to travel today. Aer lingus told us a few weeks back that inbound flight had changed by more than a couple hours so we might be entitled to a refund. I've applied for the refund, but not heard anything from them. Wanted to double check if the flight actually went today (Ei352 dub-muc)

Can't see it on dub airport departure or muc arrivals.

so finally got through to AL today. Outbound flight was cancelled in the end (never got any notification of it from AL).

They've agreed to fully refund me in 5-7 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

The_Brood wrote: »
    I was on chat waiting 7 hours yesterday, did not get through to agents. 9 and 1/2 hours today waiting, still nothing. How in the world are other people getting through?

Tried at 9.20 this morning and got through instantly. That has not happened ever! Voucher rejected and the waiting game begins again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Anyone else waiting for a refund from Ryanair through an agency such as loveholidays, they have created a new form sneakily. PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

Is it actually necessary to talk to a person on the chat? The robot sent me to a form, took my email and booking reference and said I was being placed in the refund queue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I received an email reply today from Ryanair after I enquired about my refunds.

They say my original booking was paid for by voucher and they have reimbursed the voucher.

I used lots of vouchers I haven't a clue what that voucher code was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Still waiting on my refund for my flights from April. They sent an email 3 weeks ago with link for the refund (a tiny little section at the bottom after all the voucher nonsense) and it said it would be 3-5 working days before repayment to card. Still nothing and despite emailing them every day the last week or so and them not answering the phones i'm determined to not let this go.

Anyone else in a similar predicament?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I hope other airlines survive this cause I never want to deal with RA again. 13 weeks waiting on refund, have refused voucher 3 times (have chat transcripts showing that). Got into them on Twitter and saying ‘did you not receive your refund voucher’ Foooook off, said I’ve rejected it 3 times, here’s the dates. Now saying 3-5 weeks.
    AIB not much better, put in for chargeback start of June and nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭obi604

obi604 wrote: »
    got my refund for my flights from June 21st with ryanair. As in full refund money appeared in my account. thanks be to jaysus! (and thanks to all on here)

18th May applied for refund
    23rd June did AIB charge back thing (they never rang actually me to confirm they got my request as I asked in the detailed cover letter)

all through this pestered Ryanair chat and looked for advise here :)

now the thing is I don't actually know who issued the refund, ryanair or AIB.
    have not got a fresh email from ryanair to say refund done etc.
    Any way to check who issued the refund

In relation to above post from 29th July. Got my refund and it was actually from AIB via chargeback.

Now today 14th August, I get the below Email from Ryanair.

I have already been refunded.
    What will happen now?
    Thought I was done and dusted with this cr@p.

“ We acknowledge your request for a refund in lieu of a travel voucher for your unused booking.

We confirm that your refund request has been processed back to the form of payment used to pay for your booking. Your issuing bank will take 5-7 working days to process this refund amount back to your account.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭uli84

450€ down, bought flights to Spain in February, life sucks :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Anyone know how long aer lingus are taking to get back to them re - refunds, my flight was cancelled and I got an email advising I could ask for a refund or voucher.

I did the form and got an auto response back confirming they got the request.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long aer lingus are taking to get back to them re - refunds, my flight was cancelled and I got an email advising I could ask for a refund or voucher.

Better call them with the reference and ask for the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

thomas 123 wrote: »

Call them and request the refund, you’ll have the money back within 3 days. I’ve had three separate refunds With them and all were back in my account within 3 days.

In relation to above post from 29th July. Got my refund and it was actually from AIB via chargeback.

Now today 14th August, I get the below Email from Ryanair.

I have already been refunded.
    What will happen now?
    Thought I was done and dusted with this cr@p.

“ We acknowledge your request for a refund in lieu of a travel voucher for your unused booking.

We confirm that your refund request has been processed back to the form of payment used to pay for your booking. Your issuing bank will take 5-7 working days to process this refund amount back to your account.”

any thoughts on this one?

any thoughts on this one?

I would imagine that if RyanAir actually refund you directly, then the bank will take back the chargeback, assuming they know that Ryanair have refunded you as it's the same card etc.

jasonb wrote: »
    I would imagine that if RyanAir actually refund you directly, then the bank will take back the chargeback, assuming they know that Ryanair have refunded you as it's the same card etc.

ok, should I tell Ryanair I have already got the money back.

Or tell AIB that Ryanair are going to do a refund.

Bloody annoying , have the money back and now this confusion.

Definitely don't tell Ryanair you already have it back, as the Chargeback from the bank isn't permanent and could be taken back again.

I'd wait til the money comes from Ryanaiir, and once you have that, then tell the bank, if they don't know already.

Definitely don't tell Ryanair you already have it back, as the Chargeback from the bank isn't permanent and could be taken back again.

I'd wait til the money comes from Ryanaiir, and once you have that, then tell the bank, if they don't know already.

thanks, so what will most likely happen here do ye know?

Option A

Ryanair will issue me a refund.
    AIB will be informed of this and take back the money they gave me via chargeback

Option B

Ryanair will attempt to issue a refund.
    Ryanair will do some checks first
    Ryanair will find out I have got money already via chargback
    (a) They do nothing as I have my money back already.
    (b) they contact AIB and say reverse chargeback, we Ryanair are handling this refund scenario

Or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Just rang Ryanair an hour ago. I’ll get my refund from 14th May flight in 5-7 days. Happy out and about time too!

thanks, so what will most likely happen here do ye know?

Option A

Ryanair will issue me a refund.
    AIB will be informed of this and take back the money they gave me via chargeback

Option B

Ryanair will attempt to issue a refund.
    Ryanair will do some checks first
    Ryanair will find out I have got money already via chargback
    (a) They do nothing as I have my money back already.
    (b) they contact AIB and say reverse chargeback, we Ryanair are handling this refund scenario

Or something else?

Just to clarify, I'm definitely no expert, this is just my take on this from what I've read while looking into my own situation (which is with PTSB, not AIB, for what that's worth.)

Option 1:

If RyanAir issue the refund, I'd imagine that AIB will take the money back. Either because RyanAir informs them (in fact, RyanAir issuing the refund could be in answer to your chargeback, as AIB would have notified them of the chargeback request), or because AIB see you card transactions, and can see that you got the money back, and then they'll take the chargeback away. As RyanAir's email says, your issuing bank will apply the refund to the card, so they'll also know to take back the chargeback.

Option 2:

I'm not sure what checks RyanAir can do, they can't access your card transactions etc. So the only checks they can do is internally, and maybe if the refund department in RyanAir is separate from the one dealing with AIB's chargeback request, they'll then find out that there's also a chargeback request in as well (if they don't know it already). If there *are* two separate strands going on (refund & chargeback) then I'd expect them to go with 2 b) and tell AIB to reverse the chargeback as they're paying the money over. I don't see 2 a) happening, as the chargeback payment from the bank is meant to be temporary while the bank figures out with the Airline whether the Airline is going to pay or not.

To put 2 b) another way, PTSB told me that if they were initially happy with my chargeback, they'd give me the money, and then check with the Airline. If the Airline disputed it, PTSB would take the money back. But, if the Airline accepted it, PTSB would *still* take the money back, as the knew the Airline were going to pay me. So basically the chargeback payment was just to make sure that I wasn't out of pocket during the process of contacting the airline.

When it comes down to it, in your case, RyanAir have said they're going to give you the refund, so that's a very positive step, they're not saying no to you. Now, it's still Ryanair and we don't know how long it will take, but I'd sit tight and see if you get the money from RyanAir in the next week or so. When it does arrive, then see if you still have the Chargeback money, and if you do, contact the bank.

Hope that makes sense?

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, I'm definitely no expert, this is just my take on this from what I've read while looking into my own situation (which is with PTSB, not AIB, for what that's worth.)

Option 1:

If RyanAir issue the refund, I'd imagine that AIB will take the money back. Either because RyanAir informs them (in fact, RyanAir issuing the refund could be in answer to your chargeback, as AIB would have notified them of the chargeback request), or because AIB see you card transactions, and can see that you got the money back, and then they'll take the chargeback away. As RyanAir's email says, your issuing bank will apply the refund to the card, so they'll also know to take back the chargeback.

Option 2:

I'm not sure what checks RyanAir can do, they can't access your card transactions etc. So the only checks they can do is internally, and maybe if the refund department in RyanAir is separate from the one dealing with AIB's chargeback request, they'll then find out that there's also a chargeback request in as well (if they don't know it already). If there *are* two separate strands going on (refund & chargeback) then I'd expect them to go with 2 b) and tell AIB to reverse the chargeback as they're paying the money over. I don't see 2 a) happening, as the chargeback payment from the bank is meant to be temporary while the bank figures out with the Airline whether the Airline is going to pay or not.

To put 2 b) another way, PTSB told me that if they were initially happy with my chargeback, they'd give me the money, and then check with the Airline. If the Airline disputed it, PTSB would take the money back. But, if the Airline accepted it, PTSB would *still* take the money back, as the knew the Airline were going to pay me. So basically the chargeback payment was just to make sure that I wasn't out of pocket during the process of contacting the airline.

When it comes down to it, in your case, RyanAir have said they're going to give you the refund, so that's a very positive step, they're not saying no to you. Now, it's still Ryanair and we don't know how long it will take, but I'd sit tight and see if you get the money from RyanAir in the next week or so. When it does arrive, then see if you still have the Chargeback money, and if you do, contact the bank.

Hope that makes sense?

THANK YOU.

yeah, that makes sense alright, I suppose in hindsight I should have been a bit more patient and waited a bit longer for Ryanair to refund, now ive possibly confused things.

I started the charge back only 10 days after applying for the refund, but in saying this it took ryanair 3 months to say they were actually giving me a refund.

and in the meantime AIB did the bloody chargeback.

One aspect of all this that I've struggled with is where's the best place to start? The Airline? Bank? Travel Insurance (if you have any)? It's just such a mess of a minefield and it's hard to know the best way of going about it.

I currently have a disputed chargeback with Air Canada/PTSB, and have also put a claim in with my travel insurance. I was trying to do one strand at a time, but they take so long too, so in the end I decided to do both and if either one gets me my money back I'll cancel the other. Air Canada have already refused a refund, so that strand stopped pretty quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

I was waiting on two refunds
    1. Paid by CC for return flights to lanzarote mid June for approx 800 euro - still waiting

2. Paid by gift voucher for return flights to Luton at end of July - Just received email saying the gift voucher can now be used again . I have not been sent any more information on code for voucher etc !
    It’s not like I keep them after I use them !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Greg81

Hello Everyone.

So long story short: Aeroflot is refusing to refund. €2.5K Last info I got form them:

Please note that the Government of the Russian Federation had set a special refund procedure for the amount payed for transportation in case of passenger refusal for air transportation in the event of introduction of high alert mode on the entire territory of Russian Federation or on a part of the territory[1]. According to the procedure when the contract of carriage is terminated, the obligation of the carrier arises to accept the payed amount for the ticket as payment for the carriage and additional services within 3 years from the departure date of the ticket. Funds not used to pay for air transportation services are subject to a refund after the period of 3 years from the date of departure of the flight specified in the ticket, with interest accruing, the amount of which is determined by the key rate of the Central Bank of the Russian Federation.

We would like to remind you that currently you can take advantage of the special conditions and the options available to you for issuing a certificate, including an option without a personal visit to the office, and additional opportunities for exchanging a ticket. Options are detailed on the airline's website in the "news" section from 30.04.2020 and 20.05.2020 on the links: https://www.aeroflot.ru/xx-en/news/61757?_preferredLanguage=en and https://www.aeroflot.ru/xx-en/news/61766?_preferredLanguage=en

In case you will not take advantage of these options, you can apply for a refund after the period of 3 years from the departure date of the flight specified in the ticket.

We will be happy if your decision regarding the issuance of a special certificate and additional options for exchanging ticket will change and we will meet you again on PJSC Aeroflot flights.

Am I getting this right that I have to wait over 3 years to get my money back???

I am not interested of any form of voucher or alternative flight.

so finally got through to AL today. Outbound flight was cancelled in the end (never got any notification of it from AL).

They've agreed to fully refund me in 5-7 working days.

refunded fully on 14th -2 days after requesting in.

Bizarrely they refunded every line item separately rather than all as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mrperty2011

Anyone still having problem with quickpark. Cancelled in May. Asked for refund numerous times. Asked again today and said I’ll try chargeback. They said yes I can try that ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Anyone still having problem with quickpark. Cancelled in May. Asked for refund numerous times. Asked again today and said I’ll try chargeback. They said yes I can try that ðŸ™

I had to resort to chargeback with Quickpark. Got it via BOI.

Out of interest, why do you think you are able to claim back from quickpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Out of interest, why do you think you are able to claim back from quickpark?

They were refunding. I asked in March for a credit note when my flight was cancelled but they refunded me instantly. Far faster than the hotel (in Italy) which took a week, or Ryanair who took 107 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mrperty2011

From their FAQ's
    6. Is it possible to amend or cancel a booking?

Yes you can cancel up to 72 hours before your booked arrival time. If you wish to amend a booking please contact us.

Please make sure to make note of your booking reference number, as this number is essential if you need to amend or cancel your booking with us.

See our Terms & Conditions for full details of our Refund and Cancellation policy

Advertisement