Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working with a mental illness?

• 11-08-2020 11:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I wanted to start a thread on a different aspect of mental illness, how does it affect someone's ability to work.

I've been diagnosed with Aspergers and ADD. My psychiatrist says I'd need to work/study harder as many with my condition and other mental illnesses tend to end up homeless from not being able to function in employment.

Is this generally true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I wanted to start a thread on a different aspect of mental illness, how does it affect someone's ability to work.

I've been diagnosed with Aspergers and ADD. My psychiatrist says I'd need to work/study harder as many with my condition and other mental illnesses tend to end up homeless from not being able to function in employment.

Is this generally true?

With all due respect I would imagine your experienced psychiatrist would have more knowledge and experienced from dealing with variety of people, rather than a few people on the Internet replying if it's true or not based on them knowing a person who has it and turning out fine.

I know you asked ' is this generally true' but. Are you doubting your psychiatrist OR just seeking experiences of other maybe in addition to believing it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

There's no one answer to this as mental illness affects people in different ways. Some can manage enough to keep themselves in housing but not a job. Some manage both. Some manage whole families on top. Some end up with substance abuse issues or deal with homeless or are in the prison system. And there are people without mental illness that deal with all of these things too. Keep seeing your psychiatrist and keep trying hard to pursue your education and career. One thing is for sure, you'll never regret trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

This is a crazy piece of advice from any psychiatrist to a patient. It is laced with fear and without much encouragement. There are no specifics other than a general ''you are screwed if you don't work'' offered.

I say that you find a career that is within your comfort zone. If it means part time work rather than full time work, so be it.

Find a support group and have your family around you all the way if you can.

The very best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MS found that ADHD staffers were an excellent fit for the Test depts as the ultra detail focus was something neurotypicals couldnt manage to the same level.

Companies including Microsoft and Goldman Sachs are changing their hiring and employment practices to help people with autism, Asperger’s syndrome, ADHD, and other cognitive differences.
    https://fortune.com/2019/12/07/autism-aspergers-adhd-dyslexia-neurodiversity-hiring-jobs-work/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is this generally true?

First time I've ever heard ASD referenced as a mental illness. You have a learning disability, you're not ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

ADD and Aspergers doesn't automatically mean homelessness nor unemployment. I've known more than a few dealing with such issues who live contented, fulfilled lives with homes, jobs, and relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is an interesting theme on youtube about a man with ADD and Aspergers who gave up job and home to live on a narrowboat. His introductory episode is deeply self aware. I cannot copy /paste here but it is Foxes Afloat canal narrowboat .

Advertisement