Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it will come from whoever is their finance provider. If it's part of the VAG group then I'd hazard a guess it would be VW Bank

I was kind of thinking same thing. I presume buying car second hand from a main dealer would lock you to theirs garage for warranty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I am from Lithuania originally and never seen that. Then again, i haven't been there for the last 15 years. The whole hazards flash as a "thank you" for moving and letting me pass and the light flash as a "your welcome" I learned here. Never sow this hazards on and **** you all in Lithuania or here.
    If you are a tit driving in second lane of motorway doing 100km/h, i will go behind you and flash you to move to first lane, after that I will overtake and pull to first lane myself. Undertaking is illegal and if you drive 100km/h on motorway second lane with first lane empty, then you are a tit already and deserve a polite flash up your arse.

I would say it was most likely misunderstanding, but those top speed drivers liked to put their hazards on when on their run.

Looked up some top speed videos on YouTube in the past and they did this regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

advertsfox wrote: »
    Lads what your opinion on the Fiat 500 1.4 (100bhp)? I'm very tempted to go for one now with COVID and cash in on my Corsa since it's paid off. I love a little Fiat (Punto and GP before) so is there any current / ex owners of them?

Would you consider the Abarth version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

job seeker wrote: »
    Would you consider the Abarth version?
    For sure but this is only my part time car so not a huge budget for it, the 1.4 seems like a nice middle point. Have you drove the 1.4? 100bhp in a 1 tonnes car would be nice (beats my current 65bhp in a 1.6 tonne Corsa).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Anyone recommend a decent auto electrician/someone who knows car alarms in Cork? Alarm in my car goes off as soon as its armed, I reckon there's something wrong with either the bonnet or boot sensor but I wasn't able to find the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What car is Cian? In the BMW E46 this issue happened due to a faulty bonnet shut sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

advertsfox wrote: »
    For sure but this is only my part time car so not a huge budget for it, the 1.4 seems like a nice middle point. Have you drove the 1.4? 100bhp in a 1 tonnes car would be nice (beats my current 65bhp in a 1.6 tonne Corsa).

I see! No, I haven't driven either! I've just been looking up Abarths a lot lately online!

This member owns an Abarth..

A post from some in 2012 who owns/owned a twin air here..

Perhaps you could reach out to them owners and get their opinions.. :)

What car is Cian? In the BMW E46 this issue happened due to a faulty bonnet shut sensor.

2006 sti. I was suspecting the sensor too but it looks perfect and so does the wiring. Snap-on scanner not showing any codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Well I am officially car less bit of a weird feeling as it’s been a long time since I have been without a car.

The effort of having to go buy a new car now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

CIP4 wrote: »
    Well I am officially car less bit of a weird feeling as it’s been a long time since I have been without a car.

Did that dealer buy it in the end?

Any comments on the experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Please buy something really cheap and bargey like an old S80, and run for a few months while you decide what you want!

Did that dealer buy it in the end?

Any comments on the experience?

Yes was grand overall they looked at it and bought it that is it really. Only inconvenience was me needing to take a half day off work and bring the car to Dublin and then get back home but like that’s not the garages fault and it proved to be easy enough to arrange.

Assuming your are selling it to a reputable dealer it’s a lot easier than selling it to someone privately.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Please buy something really cheap and bargey like an old S80, and run for a few months while you decide what you want!

Where would the fun be in that :pac: If I don’t get anything this week I am off work next week so have some time to luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes was grand overall they looked at it and bought it that is it really. Only inconvenience was me needing to take a half day off work and bring the car to Dublin and then get back home but like that’s not the garages fault and it proved to be easy enough to arrange.

Assuming your are selling it to a reputable dealer it’s a lot easier than selling it to someone privately.

Where would the fun be in that :pac: If I don’t get anything this week I am off work next week so have some time to luck.

Out of genuine curiosity how did they pay you? Cash, cheque?

Out of genuine curiosity how did they pay you? Cash, cheque?

We both went to the bank and they transferred the money at the counter to my account. Luckily we are both the same bank so it was in my account instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a decent auto electrician/someone who knows car alarms in Cork? Alarm in my car goes off as soon as its armed, I reckon there's something wrong with either the bonnet or boot sensor but I wasn't able to find the problem.
    You could try O'Leary communications in Togher he does alarms and car kits and is very good.

Gavman84 wrote: »
    You could try O'Leary communications in Togher he does alarms and car kits and is very good.

Thanks Gavman, will give him a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

You still considering a 3 series ?

You still considering a 3 series ?

No tbh would like a g20 330i but simply wouldn’t be sure enough to buy one at the minute as they are big money and I’d lose a fortune on it if I decided to sell it in a years time.

I just kind of want a break from cars really at the minute I don’t want something I have to worry about or that will attract attention just want something I can use. I will be buying a house fairly soon and whatever I buy will likely need some level of work so I want something I can just throw a load of stuff into and use in a practical way.

I struck a deal on an Octavia today not a fancy or high spec one so very different to the Golf but I test drove it and it was fairly nice to drive it’s a very honest car few marks and mileage is a little high but 1 owner full Skoda service history, Irish car with one year main dealer warranty.

My parents had two Octavia’s and I always liked them. In terms of reliability and practicality few cars beat them. Reliability is important to me at times in work I would be on call so I want to know that if I get called in a 3am on a Sunday night the car is going to get me in to work with no drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Anybody knows how to do the NCT test these days? Or will I just drive the car with expired test? How does this work?

Wow, this is a proper fk up.

Screenshot-20200812-180424-Chrome.jpg

Who's responsible? I want names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did you not get the 4 months extended? Also you should have known it was out a long time ago so the only person who f'ed up is you. You should have been trying for a spot 3 months in advance of the expiration date. I know there was covid bullshít but you still should have been on the ball and got a spot straight away once they reopened so once again the only person who messed up is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Book an nct and drive on

Did you not get the 4 months extended? Also you should have known it was out a long time ago so the only person who f'ed up is you. You should have been trying for a spot 3 months in advance of the expiration date. I know there was covid bullshít but you still should have been on the ball and got a spot straight away once they reopened so once again the only person who messed up is you.

How do you book a test when the whole place was closed?

I am booking now well in advance boyo, don't you worry. But for 2,5 months no free slots? Damn what a monumental fk up. They supposed to extend it by 6 months, not only 4.

NCT was always a fkin disaster, now it's a total mess. A bit weird considering this is a first world country.

I guess it's my fault that there's only two NCT centres serving a city of almost 200,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I guess it's my fault that there's only two NCT centres serving a city of almost 200,000 people.

Just keep checking the site every day, early morning, after dinner time and late at night are the best times to check. cancellations pop up every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Id be inclined as above to book a test and drive on. It's an utter shambles at the minute.

That being said, i had heard before checking the NCT website just after midnight shows and cancellations that were made the previous day and I've successfully gotten a few short notice test's this way once you are flexable enough to take a cancellation.

Ciano35 wrote: »

Jerry Hurley Auto Electrical
    Auto electrical service in Cork, Ireland
    1 Evergreen St, Ballyphehane, Cork, T12 XH61, Ireland
    Phone: +353 21 431 2866

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Anybody knows how to do the NCT test these days? Or will I just drive the car with expired test? How does this work?

Wow, this is a proper fk up.

Keep refreshing the page every 5 minutes until you get an appointment. I got one the next day by doing that.

Today marked me collecting my 9th car. Very different to the Golf and a big downgrade in terms of cost/extras/performance. I have never spent so little on a car well relative to my earnings if that made sense. For anyone that missed it the reason I got rid of the GTI is I just didn't have enough interest in it to justify its cost and running costs it was just a waste of money with the only benefit was having extra power available and good handling the odd time I wanted to drive it on and it had several drawbacks tbh. I never really formed much of an attachment to it I really couldn't warm to the DSG as hard as I tried.

I spent months thinking about whether I should sell it or not. Biggest fear was I would sell it and regret it big time and that was a worry especially as I didn't really need to sell it. But anyway so far so good I am a few days without the golf and don't miss it so far. Also delighted with the new car few small marks on it but other than that perfect drives really well and feels like a fresh car that has been well minded. Will take a while to adjust to going back to a diesel but its fairly quite when cruising along obviously not as refined at low speeds. I actually like it a lot more than I ever thought I would and its really nice having something I don't need to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Long shot here but does anyone in Dublin or along the M7 somewhere have plain old alloys in good condition to suit a 1997 W202 Merc that I could buy?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement