Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Pocket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think allowing 2 per order was a bit ridiculous. Glad I got mine though. Absolutely adore handheld gaming and I've wanted this console way more than a new next gen system that I can't get excited for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dr Bob wrote: »
    You got lucky , from what I'm seeing online it was mainly scalpers that managed to get in and get them.

Aye.....very fortunate, and I initially had that 'shipping calculation' that hung up a lot of people, but it immediately corrected itself on refresh.
    Plus I think some people got hung up on just adding the device to the cart and spending a few minutes going through the accessories, without realising there was no hold on item.

Agree on the scalping though, but at least two per order limited it somewhat compared to other high pressure sales like the NT Noir where preorders jumped to 1000 dollars +, but hopefully the likes of eBay will be forcing them down as there's definitely people out there who no doubt wanted the handheld but figured they could sell another preorder to pay for it.

In my case, the second one is actually a 50th birthday present for a family member (for which he better be bloody grateful for). But i do think we're just seeing the inital production run sell out here and subsequent waves with pushed out dates will eventually reappear - how far out the newly constrained supply chains determine that remains to be seen.

Not to defend Analogue, as I think their comms and public relations in general needs lots of work, but I think the prevalent assumption of 'why don't they just take all the preorders they can and make that many' is far too simplistic.
    They are a small company competing with bigger players in not just the supply chain, but also in production facility bandwidth to build a niche item and all in the middle of a pandemic. They more than likely know how many screens they can secure, how long a run they have in production, shipping timeframe etc
    Like I say though, I can understand the frustration purely down to how they promote, besides, you never know even the May 21 date could slip just like the Noir.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had the shipping calculating hang up but I let it run, took about 2 or 3 minutes and a little bit of panicking but I knew from booking tickets for concerts online the worst thing you can do is refresh and it eventually came up. I say a lot of people were refreshing when they saw it taking a little bit to calculate it and assumed to hung and missed out.

I only got the single one for myself. Probably naive of me but think it's better to go to someone that wants it and also kind of broke this month!

I didn't get the dock with mine, it's not something I see myself using.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Multiple devices and browsers is the way to go.

If I'm trying to get tickets to an event that's going to sell out fast, I'll have a firefox and chrome browser open on my laptop. One will be logged/ready to go and if it's taking a while I'll let it sit there and do it's thing, while the other browser will be refreshed constantly to see if that gets through first.

Just in case they both crap out I'll have it logged in on my phone too as a final ditch attempt!

I like to live dangerously.

At it again they are........limited amount of NT Mini Noirs going up for preorder tomorrow, Nov shipping.

Cynic in me suggests this is the preorders that were cancelled when the July date slipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

McDermotX wrote: »
    At it again they are........limited amount of NT Mini Noirs going up for preorder tomorrow, Nov shipping.

Cynic in me suggests this is the preorders that were cancelled when the July date slipped.

$500 plus shipping and import duty. Definitely a console for the hipsters at that price point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

$500 plus shipping and import duty. Definitely a console for the hipsters at that price point.

As it stands I've a NES, a Famicom, a Famicom Twin, a Retron N and a Retron 5, all of which will play my collection of carts.
    There is simply no way I'll spend that sort of dough on yet another.
    That said, if a NES/Famicom top loader came my way, I might have to modify my strongly held beliefs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Half-thought about it for five seconds, but you're looking at €700 here.

Would have liked to pre-order a Pocket but missed the 7 minute window and the whole thing has left a bad taste in the mouth now.

Master of the Universe

Who is the market for these? I can't really work it out.

Anyone who is mad enough to spend that much money on a clone NES is probably also mad enough to keep a big CRT about the place to continue to play an actual NES.

I can understand maybe somehow future proofing or something, but at this rate I think Nintendo hardware is going to outlive all of us.

It's the best way to get quality HDMI from a NES console while still being cycle accurate. So streamers are very interested and Jeremy Parish has one so he can capture quality footage from it for his video series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

If they had a cheaper model that left out all the analogue video such that it was HDMI only in a nice plastic case, I’d probably buy one.

Re:Mini
    Apparently gone inside a couple of minutes.

Wouldn't imagine there was that many to shift in any case.

https://twitter.com/TVsBen/status/1293201866579476484

Traditional Analogue delay.......Next year probably the most realistic

Pocket pre-orders will be shipping at the latest in December. Unfortunately, due to new Covid restrictions with our assembly partners, their capacity to deliver within our agreed timeframe has been affected. This has created a domino effect of delays beyond our control in what would otherwise be a seamless process.

Pocket will have some hands-on features and reviews coming before it ships. After the holiday season, Pocket and all accessories will be restocked and shipping immediately.

Analogue gone on a charm offensive on Twitter and updated their homepage with information around Analogue OS which is powering the Pocket.

Seems very comprehensive with some very useful features (save states, library etc) but not the kind of hands-on that many people were hoping for (not to mention any sign of a reopening of preorders). That said, I think people would just be happy to have a physical unit to pop their carts into at this point and probably see the features as more nice to have etc

I guess one of the big questions that would be asked is if the likes of a library database would be extended to their other products?

I had to laugh at how pretentious their promotion was.

October 16th. Not just a date.

Fucking notions or what.

Also doubling down on the fact you can't play rom files. I'll see how the everdrive deals with that lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Inviere

NOT EMULATION!

NO ROMS!

Groan. Though that no roms thing is potentially an issue for flash carts...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Krikzz will probably just find a way to preload the games into a buffer, which will be read by the fancy shmancy Analogue console as the original game.

It's the self same issue the much maligned Retron5 had, the poor relation of the Analogue, just had a dodgy, stolen and barely updated OS...

• Advertisement

If it's accuracy they are after it will need to run flashcarts.

I think they are just a bit too in love with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

It's just pretentious wording rather than a statement that they'll somehow stop flashcarts, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

None of the analogue systems support ROMS. The jailbreak firmware that releases simultaneously with official firmware and [sarcasm] ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT [/sarcasm] come from analogue themselves works just fine. I expect the pocket will continue this trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Inviere

Very much so, they'd be insane to actively put effort into blocking such carts. It's probably worded this way to appeal to anoraks with money, and indeed keep the spotlight off them from ip holders?

Pockets apparently shipping 2nd week in December with an aim for delivery between middle of December and before New Year's.

Busy period obviously for phased shipments, but good to finally see some movement.

Got the email. Shipping begins 13th December but will be shipped throughout December. Most likely won't arrive this year.

Dec 14th 4pm for pre-orders opening again.

Price increase to 220 dollars though, with expected windows below

Group A: Q1 2022

Group B: Q4 2022

Group C: 2023

Won't be many end-user impressions to work on before that preorder date unfortunately. Should be some media reviews the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Starting to love the simplicity of the really good GB games that still hold up today. Pickup and play for 15 mins. But atm an expensive bit of kit to play tetris/ pokemon red in sunlight.

What would 220 dollars + shipping & import equate to?

I'd love one of these but can't stand the ordering system.

Might give it a go on the day of it but, I'd say it'll be impossible to get one next year

• Advertisement

More than likely looking at 50 dollars shipping if they follow normal practice......so looking about 240-250 euro.

Obviously haven't factored in the import fees after that but that's something to worry about whenever it ships which could be a long while. Last year, there was that tariff ding dong between the EU and US which meant you ended up paying half the total cost again as gaming devices were captured in the furore, but believe that was resolved, but don't quote me on that. Paid just under a third of total for something 6 months back, so expect similar.

Not an insignificant investment so depends how much use one would get from it, plus its up front of a potential long delay, but to be fair to Analogue, I've never heard of any issue with regard to refunds on cancellation etc

Advertisement