Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish motoring in the 1980’s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Only fool's and horses and Mr Bean were the only place you'd see them,

My first trip to Ireland was in 81, then I lived in 87-88 in Dublin, and there were quite a number of them, not tons, but you would see them about. I didn't dream this up, and Mr Bean drove a Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

3 wheelers and Invacars were a thing youd only see in Britain, or up the north. Or at the side of the pitch on the Big match.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    My first trip to Ireland was in 81, then I lived in 87-88 in Dublin, and there were quite a number of them, not tons, but you would see them about. I didn't dream this up, and Mr Bean drove a Mini.

But always one in every episode

https://youtu.be/VDX_pW8C5Y0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Robin in Top Gear was modified to roll over easily. Don't believe everything you see on TV :)

• Advertisement

The Robin in Top Gear was modified to roll over easily. Don't believe everything you see on TV :)

Ah yeh...was funny all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Did anyone mention the "I shot JR" sun visors yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

stoneill wrote: »

Rally sun strips were very popular too.

Rothmans Rally ones in particular.

Or 'Mafia Staff Car' ?

Red number plates and spotting English cars on the bog roads at night, they were the only ones that didn't have headlights that bounced all over the place as their suspension wasn't knackered.
    Irish car headlights spent as much time stargazing as they did pointing at the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

No NCT is one I often think of - The right front wheel came off our car in the late 80's car turned left and the wheel trundled on right on its own course.

The thing is that without a regular NCT check and the preventative maintenance it kicks off this crap must have been common!`

Also there used to be lethal potholes back then - Every couple of months you'd hit a crater on the road with a bang that jarred through the car and as you drove away you legitimately wondered if your steering/suspension and whatever else was going to be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Mango Joe wrote: »
    No NCT is one I often think of - The right front wheel came off our car in the late 80's car turned left and the wheel trundled on right on its own course.

The thing is that without a regular NCT check and the preventative maintenance it kicks off this crap must have been common!`

Also there used to be lethal potholes back then - Every couple of months you'd hit a crater on the road with a bang that jarred through the car and as you drove away you legitimately wondered if your steering/suspension and whatever else was going to be ok!

As much as the nct is a profiteering organization, they have managed to bring the standards of cars up to a level that John and Mary wouldn’t if they’d been left to their own devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I Was VB wrote: »
    As much as the nct is a profiteering organization, they have managed to bring the standards of cars up to a level that John and Mary wouldn’t if they’d been left to their own devices.

Yes and no, while they ensured everyone had brakes (optional in the 80s) they pissed people off being pedantic about number plates and indicators not being orange enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Yes and no, while they ensured everyone had brakes (optional in the 80s) they pissed people off being pedantic about number plates and indicators not being orange enough

But they have to follow a standard. Much fairer than using the tester's opinion as that would just open another can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I wasn't around but my mam and her family all drove minis (except my aunt who had a VW beetle). Many stories about driving into town to fill the boot with stale bread for the sheep and with the weight of them all and the bread the back end was scraping. Sheep hitched a lift in the back a few times too, surprisingly practical for such a small car. There were holes in the floor, and it was common on the back roads that when hitting a puddle the floor (and their feet) would be soaked. My nanny once floored the accelerator in the driveway mistaking it for the break and nearly hitting a wall! Never drove since. One of the minis a Rover one lasted the longest. Brown colour, I have the plate on my wall - '6076 AI'. My mam's boyfreind at the time apparently had a novelty horn, General Lee style dixie horn. Doesn't remember what car he drove, but i'd put money on it being a fiesta van !! Would the novelty horns have been popular back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lockheed wrote: »
    I wasn't around but my mam and her family all drove minis (except my aunt who had a VW beetle). Many stories about driving into town to fill the boot with stale bread for the sheep and with the weight of them all and the bread the back end was scraping. Sheep hitched a lift in the back a few times too, surprisingly practical for such a small car. There were holes in the floor, and it was common on the back roads that when hitting a puddle the floor (and their feet) would be soaked. My nanny once floored the accelerator in the driveway mistaking it for the break and nearly hitting a wall! Never drove since. One of the minis a Rover one lasted the longest. Brown colour, I have the plate on my wall - '6076 AI'. My mam's boyfreind at the time apparently had a novelty horn, General Lee style dixie horn. Doesn't remember what car he drove, but i'd put money on it being a fiesta van !! Would the novelty horns have been popular back then?

Nah, trumpet horns were 70’s and strictly for bog hoppers...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Lockheed

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Nah, trumpet horns were 70’s and strictly for bog hoppers...

Well they grew up in Longwood which is pretty close to bog land so it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lockheed wrote: »
    ... Would the novelty horns have been popular back then?
    Bloody pain in the arse in residential areas. Idiots would be dropping someone off late at night and then sound their stupid novelty horn and wake up everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

Down my neck of the woods it was almost obligatory to have a bumper sticker with ‘Dance your ass off to Tweed’.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭cml387

Panrich wrote: »
    Down my neck of the woods it was almost obligatory to have a bumper sticker with ‘Dance your ass off to Tweed’.

"Travellin' with Flavin"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,277 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bit of an 80s flashback yesterday - not often you see someone tinkering round under the bonnet. This older gent with his older VW looked like he knew what he was doing.

522963.jpg

522964.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,741 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The parking seems a bit 1980s too...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The parking seems a bit 1980s too...

He had just one bad leg, by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

When ever I see a Pajero I think of armed robberies in the 90's for some reason!

the monks big robbery used a pajero and nobody noticed the reg was older than the model itself! It was parked up for days beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Con man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Might be a Sunny or Stanza you’re thinking of

Hi I was looking for help in locating a car I used to own it was a grey Toyota carina 2 with the reg 91d9494. My dad bought it in 1995/6 from Murphy and Gunn and I bought it off him in 1999. If anyone knows its whereabouts It would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Con man

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Con man wrote: »
    Hi I was looking for help in locating a car I used to own it was a grey Toyota carina 2 with the reg 91d9494. My dad bought it in 1995/6 from Murphy and Gunn and I bought it off him in 1999. If anyone knows its whereabouts It would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Con man
    It's appearing on Cartell so presumably it's still on the road - Toyota Carina 1.6GL 1587cc

https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?registration=91D9494

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

For-Reg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Con man wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Con man

Did he buy it in the 80's ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It's appearing on Cartell so presumably it's still on the road - Toyota Carina 1.6GL 1587cc

https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?registration=91D9494
    Appearing on the cartell free check just means that it has been taxed at some point since 1993 - not really of any help in this case.

More useful is to enter the reg on www.ncts.ie/1263 which shows it hasn't been NCT'd since March 2008 so highly unlikely that it is still on the road. Most likely scrapped but might be sitting in a field or shed somewhere.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Appearing on the cartell free check just means that it has been taxed at some point since 1993 - not really of any help in this case.

More useful is to enter the reg on www.ncts.ie/1263 which shows it hasn't been NCT'd since March 2008 so highly unlikely that it is still on the road. Most likely scrapped but might be sitting in a field or shed somewhere.
    More likely recycled and metallic parts from it are scattered around the world as nuts & bolts or part of a Chinese railway track!

Advertisement