Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Championship and Covid

Comments

Officially probably yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Carrick and Riverstown is a GAA club in the parish of Birr, but is located in the Tipperary end of the parish. They compete in Offaly so no games now for two weeks, but there is nothing to stop them training or heading off for challenge games.

Presumably there are a lot of lads who reside in the kildare commuter belt who play with clubs outside LOK, are these lads going to be told to stay at home from champion games this weekend?

Does this mean the respective county teams actually won’t be training now then too? That’s putting them at a disadvantage over other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Does this mean the respective county teams actually won’t be training now then too? That’s putting them at a disadvantage over other teams.

The lockdown ends in 2/3 weeks i think and IC training is starting in September

Going well they should be grand

PTH2009 wrote: »

Look what happened the last time Leo told us in March we would have a 2 week lockdown.
    Id be majorly surprised if this is over in two weeks and just confined to LOK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Not a notion of this being curtailed, under control and back to levels of last week in a 2/3 week frame. We'll be extremely lucky is the restrictions don't spread to other counties, let alone relaxed from the current 3.
    Intercounty is a non runner this year I'd say. Even club activity looking shaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Not a notion of this being curtailed, under control and back to levels of last week in a 2/3 week frame. We'll be extremely lucky is the restrictions don't spread to other counties, let alone relaxed from the current 3.
    Intercounty is a non runner this year I'd say. Even club activity looking shaky.

Yeah things not looking promising and then we have the cautious officials in the dail

Was so looking forward to the championships in all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah things not looking promising and then we have the cautious officials in the dail

Was so looking forward to the championships in all
    Back in early May most people were resigned that there would be no action of any sort this year and were proven wrong, impossible to know what way it will go, alot changes in a day let alone a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Ridiculous that entire counties are being closed over the low wage mess that is the meat industry.

They could have closed the factories and the DP centres - mainly housing bogus asylum seekers - and let the natives get on with life.

GAA is major collateral victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭threeball

HQ were banking on crowds returning by the time championship happened. This now obviously won't happen. Its actually going in the other direction, so there's no chance there'll be IC this year. Better off to reinstate the all Ireland series of the club and play that to its extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

They could finish the national leagues. Give most counties at least two games, have a semi final in each division. If it is disrupted, which it will most likely, then it is of far lesser consequence than starting AI series and having teams drop out or games being cancelled, and no-one at them.

Leagues could be finished even if teams are missing several key players whereas it looks already that the three counties under Covid law will be starting off a a disadvantage and that undermines any championship. Club championships in these counties already going to be set back significantly.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    They could finish the national leagues. Give most counties at least two games, have a semi final in each division. If it is disrupted, which it will most likely, then it is of far lesser consequence than starting AI series and having teams drop out or games being cancelled, and no-one at them.

Leagues could be finished even if teams are missing several key players whereas it looks already that the three counties under Covid law will be starting off a a disadvantage and that undermines any championship. Club championships in these counties already going to be set back significantly.

League was always more important than the championship this year in my book given it was nearly complete and the consequences of not running it off for teams who worked hard to be promoted, or were about to be relegated.

seligehgit wrote: »
    A definite no as such sporting activities would be considered non essential travel.

It appears Moneygall camogie fixtures have been cancelled for the next few weeks, but not the hurling going by what I can make out on Twitter.

I don't have any grudge with it going ahead by the way. It's common sense being applied. The area is far safer in terms of exposure to the LOK outbreak than probably nearly all of Co. Westmeath for example.

threeball wrote: »
    HQ were banking on crowds returning by the time championship happened. This now obviously won't happen. Its actually going in the other direction, so there's no chance there'll be IC this year. Better off to reinstate the all Ireland series of the club and play that to its extent.
    If IC goes ahead they'll still get TV revenues and have scope to have streaming services as rolled out in most counties for club games, I think government decisions, if there's localised lockdown etc. will be the main factor.

If IC goes ahead they'll still get TV revenues and have scope to have streaming services as rolled out in most counties for club games, I think government decisions, if there's localised lockdown etc. will be the main factor.

TV revenue is Mickley mouse money and wouldn't even cover costs. The GAA make their money on the gate. No crowds, no money, no championship.
    If there was matches this week, Kildale offaly and laois would be out of the championship with who knows next. Its not a realistic prospect to expect to finish a decent competition given the current circumstances.

TV revenue is Mickley mouse money and wouldn't even cover costs. The GAA make their money on the gate. No crowds, no money, no championship.
    If there was matches this week, Kildale offaly and laois would be out of the championship with who knows next. Its not a realistic prospect to expect to finish a decent competition given the current circumstances.
    As I said once government policies facilitates I think IC championship will go ahead, and that's what I mean localised lockdowns could potentially stop them going ahead. Alot can change in a day let alone a week so impossible to know what situation will be by the time IC action is due to start.

Would be the end of poor Davy if they cancelled them.

As I said once government policies facilitates I think IC championship will go ahead, and that's what I mean localised lockdowns could potentially stop them going ahead. Alot can change in a day let alone a week so impossible to know what situation will be by the time IC action is due to start.

Spot on,
    Up to a week ago Offaly probably had about 5 cases confirmed in the previous month.
    This can spread really fast, and now that we have seen the government willing to enforce a localised lockdown id be astonished if it doesn't happen elsewhere in the next few months.

Can't see it. Once HQ sees there's no money in it, it will be binned in September.

Can't see it. Once HQ sees there's no money in it, it will be binned in September.
    I'd disagree, GAA is very much guilty of weighing finance over logic or principal at times but if games can be played I think they will go ahead, we're guessing really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

the situation is likely to change quite suddenly in parts of the country with more people out and about more and more cases will occur and nobody knows when the situation will be under control .I can see the championsip being shelved this year as little money will be made so they may want to think about next year instead .

Spot on,
    Up to a week ago Offaly probably had about 5 cases confirmed in the previous month.
    This can spread really fast, and now that we have seen the government willing to enforce a localised lockdown id be astonished if it doesn't happen elsewhere in the next few months.
    if 1 good thing came out of the last few days it is the scandalous way some very wealthy beneficiaries run their meat factories has finally been exposed...

They're nearly all charging for club games. There is money to be made
    (I'll pay for the IC games but I'm not paying e25 to watch a few club games over the weekend).

Any games that weren't going to be on Sky or RTE can be paid streams and they can get the TV money for the other games.

The big loss will be the AI finals if they have to screen them on RTE, they'd much rather be able to charge for those ones as well to compensate the loss of sell outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any games that weren't going to be on Sky or RTE can be paid streams and they can get the TV money for the other games.

Isn't just about every game that matters likely to be on Sky or RTE though?
    A knockout football championship is 31 games, and knockout hurling about 14 games. Hurling might have some sort of backdoor so lets say 55 games.
    Isn't the Sky/RTE deal for 35 games?
    Games 36-55 aren't likely to be ones where you'll sell 20K subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

Problem is if one county cant compete they cant run it

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

If one county football team cannot compete they wont run it

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

I know some of the comments around Dublin/Tipp being locked down and giving others a chance were light hearted but looking at the case of the mushroom farm in Tipp what would happen if let’s say Mid Tipperary or even Thurles went into a phase of increased restrictions a week before Championship starts? Do preparations continue without players from that area? Will the county board flex its muscles and say look defending champions here we need a postponement? It will be a massive call if there are issues in any of the superpowers in either hurling or football

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The Leitrim GAA County Board have decided to play out their decisive club championship games behind closed doors, despite the allowance for 200 spectators at games.

https://www.otbsports.com/football/leitrim-club-doors-1060787

No harm when it’s only mostly the hangers on getting thickets across the country. Most of them would need a map to find the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

seligehgit wrote: »
    The Leitrim GAA County Board have decided to play out their decisive club championship games behind closed doors, despite the allowance for 200 spectators at games.

https://www.otbsports.com/football/leitrim-club-doors-1060787

It's a smart and surprisingly honest move in my view. When there's only 50 tickets to go around it leaves far more people bitter than happy. There's no fair way of distributing them and there'll inevitably be 100s of people in contact with whoever distributes the tickets seeking to be "looked after".

Or just mandate that the players get a spare ticket each to bring who they choose.

Advertisement