Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood tests

• 26-04-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

I paid a doctor 65 euro for a visit yesterday and he suggested a blood test. I have to go back to him. Will I be charged extra. I forgot to ask him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

billyhead wrote: »
    I paid a doctor 65 euro for a visit yesterday and he suggested a blood test. I have to go back to him. Will I be charged extra. I forgot to ask him.
    Why didn't he do it when you were there. Or do you need to fast before it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why didn't he do it when you were there. Or do you need to fast before it?

I need to fast before it and he is sending the blood to Beaumont hospital for testing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

billyhead wrote: »
    I need to fast before it and he is sending the blood to Beaumont hospital for testing.

Beaumont have a free public clinic for blood testing ask him to send you there. You book it online

Stheno wrote: »
    Beaumont have a free public clinic for blood testing ask him to send you there. You book it online

Cheers Stheno. I never asked him will I have to pay more for the blood test when I go back to him. He filled out the testing sheet and i.e ticked on a sheet (which is headed by the Beaumont contact details) various medical ailments to check for? I was wondering is there normally an extra charge if he sends of the blood sample? The whole initial consultation was over in about 5 mins. Its very expensive if I have to fork out more for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

There often is an extra charge. If the doctor has given you the bloods form you can book in to the local hospital’s phlebotomy clinic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

You don't pay for the blood test. The blood test is paid for by the HSE.
    You may have to pay for the time of a practise phlebotomist to take the blood and/or for the expertise of your Doctor to interpret the result.

Just wondering if anyone would know the only morning appointment I could get for the fasted blood test was in the mater. The Doctor gave me when I had the consultation with him a pre filled check sheet for Beaumont Hospital to bring back to him which I am not now due to another 35 euro cost. I said I would go straight to the hospital to get it done for no cost. Do you think the Mater free blood test clinic would take me in for the test even though the Gps sheet where he fills out what is to be tested had Beaumont on it. The Mater is convenient for work aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

Does anyone know when the Mater hospital will start the blood test service again, also most of the clinics there are not in action yet, a lot a
    Of people are suffering,

I'm attending a consultant in the Mater, getting regular blood checks,and my prescription is due,but without the blood tests they will not issue a new prescription.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You can get them done in Beaumont free but thet don't have a walk in clinic, you have to make an appointment.
    The Mater won't accept a beaumont request form. They are hospital specific.
    And finally yes you will be charged for getting the blood taken.

It is a Mater hospital referred blood test(public). Referred by the consultant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

horse7 wrote: »
    It is a Mater hospital referred blood test(public). Referred by the consultant.

It was a reply to the OP and their questions.

Sorry, but it's a terrible situation when the hospital consultant refers you for a blood test in the same hospital, which has now no phlebotomy service, and the tests are needed for the consultant to renew a prescription.

Sorry, but it's a terrible situation when the hospital consultant refers you for a blood test in the same hospital, which has now no phlebotomy service, and the tests are needed for the consultant to renew a prescription.

Note, blood tests have resumed in the Mater.

Advertisement