Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How difficult is this shot?

Options
  • 25-06-2020 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

From what I understand - this shot is more about post-processing stitching via 20-25 layers shot to expose different areas compared to necessarily controlling lighting for perfectly lighting the scene (and of course it's a composite of front/back):

517711.jpg

Anyone have experience of producing photos like this (what I would call product photography)?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

It's quite possible this is fully generated within Photoshop or Illustrator and is not a photograph at all. Might be, but looks more like top end graphic design.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

My understanding is that this photo would be from image stacking and adjust layer masks:
    https://www.diyphotography.net/three-different-ways-photograph-watch/

Or...that this DIY method would produce similar images - see in the blog post above the photographer used this technique to produce this image in the end (which seems similar to the Patek shot):

watch-mk.gif

I see a thank from Irishphotodesk there - he probably knows what I'm planning to ask.

While I have basic PS knowledge and *could* attempt this myself - I was wondering if anyone who has better skills at this might like to give this a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of producing photos like this (what I would call product photography)?

This guy on YouTube is a former product/advertising photographer and he has a few videos where he demonstrates how he would light and shoot this kind of set-up.

Thanks for that link - seems like this would be a good lighting set up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy2jwJgfWAk

And then need to combine with the Photoshop (or in my case Gimp) stacking and unlayer mask exposure to do this "HDR" shot for front and back.

And to "cheat" can even shoot head on and do a perspective change in Gimp afterwards.

Could be a fun project for myself - though if anyone is interested in doing this I am willing to make a monetary contribution towards building someone's portfolio (rather than say full on commissioning an official product shoot).

I might give it a try today with my DIY setup but if anyone's interested please let me know :)

Really grateful for that points there Celtic - following that and the layering tutorial above ended up with this after 6 hours:

uL7i5kXh.jpg

I know the burning looks like it was done with a rock - but this was 5.5 hours in and this watch is only an older prototype so it was more a case of okay - let's see how it looks.

Apart from that - the skewing of perspective doesn't really work - I guess I needed to have photographed the pre-skewed angle rather than front facing lighting...

• Advertisement
Advertisement