Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most positive, non Fiction book that changed your life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

My college books, without them i wouldnt be where i am and have the lifestyle i do. There will never be a book created that will surpass them

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Asset management

Coneygree wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd like David Goggins' book Can't Hurt Me.

Sounds great thanks, I’ll deffo read it.

Also want to read The Road Less Taken from previous recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Asset management

Sounds great thanks, I’ll deffo read it.

Also want to read The Road Less Taken from previous recommendation.

‘Road Less Travelled’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

Alan watts-- 'The Book on the Taboo against knowing who you are'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

mulbot wrote: »
    Alan watts-- 'The Book on the Taboo against knowing who you are'.

I love Alan Watts.
    I'd have to say The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Got me into meditation and mindfulness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Steven Pinker - "Enlightenment Now"

If you're despairing at the state of the world, this will perk you right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

Awareness - Anthony De Mello.

Never was i hit so hard by truth then in my mid 20s when i found this. It thought me so much about how i work, how others work, and the addiction we have to pretty much everything so we can create more 'self' belief. It showed me how i was using everything and anyone to further more evidence of my own self image.

quotes:
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/54195.Anthony_de_Mello

“I have no fear of losing you, for you aren’t an object of my property, or anyone else’s. I love you as you are, without attachment, without fears, without conditions, without egoism, trying not to absorb you. I love you freely because I love your freedom, as well as mine”
    ― Anthony de Mello

I just bought several of the books suggested here as a gift for myself. Great Thread OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    something like a book could never " change my life "

im just not middle class enough for that

You've never read a new idea that inspired you to do something beyond what you thought you could do? You've never heard words explain a previous mystery of your own being with such clarity that you became a seeker of more? You never read information from another's experience in a life so different to yours that it challenged your existing conditioning to such an extent that you couldnt possibly pretend your old views were correct?

It's possible you've just experienced change so slowly and perhaps consistently that it never felt like many intimate important pieces falling into place in one single motion.. but I would feel sorry if that is so. It a moment of awakening in one's life that you remember for all of it with vividness and intensity. That should anyone ask you what was the important moments of your life, this would be one of the first that come to your lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ShareShare wrote: »

Yes, Anto is the man, I love this kind of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The Life Changing Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo. It made me recalibrate my relationship with "stuff" and confront some feeling and conflicts I didn't realise I had and work through them as I dealt with my physical belongings. It changed how I approach what I buy and has simplified my life in so many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

buried wrote: »
    Its got nothing to do with some divisional horse$hit like 'class'.

You probably just need work on your own cognitive awareness.

Plenty of books changed how I view life. They weren't self help books either.
    But from reading certain books I raised my cognitive awareness that made me enjoy life more, and also see things I had never seen before that were straight in front of my face.

made the comment partially in jest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭buried

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    made the comment partially in jest

Fair enough man, the comment just seemed very cutting, and also kind of indicative of a mindset that does exist out there concerning anybody reading any sort of book.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt.

An extraordinary work that effortlessly moves through the history of Europe post war, the Marshall Plan, the Cold War; the development of what became the European Union, the closer integration between European states that moved beyond centuries of war and hatred, and the importance of Christian/Social Democracy in creating the Europe that we know and love.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You've never read a new idea that inspired you to do something beyond what you thought you could do? You've never heard words explain a previous mystery of your own being with such clarity that you became a seeker of more? You never read information from another's experience in a life so different to yours that it challenged your existing conditioning to such an extent that you couldnt possibly pretend your old views were correct?

It's possible you've just experienced change so slowly and perhaps consistently that it never felt like many intimate important pieces falling into place in one single motion.. but I would feel sorry if that is so. It a moment of awakening in one's life that you remember for all of it with vividness and intensity. That should anyone ask you what was the important moments of your life, this would be one of the first that come to your lips.

Of course I've experienced moments of clarity and epiphanies but never from reading a book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt.

An extraordinary work that effortlessly moves through the history of Europe post war, the Marshall Plan, the Cold War; the development of what became the European Union, the closer integration between European states that moved beyond centuries of war and hatred, and the importance of Christian/Social Democracy in creating the Europe that we know and love.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.

It's brilliant, but I found it hard-going. Like most academic books, it's not an easy read (and I say that as someone who is very intelligent, actually). Well worth dipping in and out of though, especially if you're a politics & international relations student, looking for a guaranteed A.

On a similar note, Diarmaid Ferriter's The Transformation of Ireland 1900 - 2000 is a nice read, if modern Irish history is your thing. Worth it for the bibliography alone. It's by no means a comprehensive masterpiece, and I wouldn't say it 'changed my life', but it did encourage me to invest in access to online newspaper archives for further research.

Too many to mention - but I guess the book that inspired me to make choices that subsequently had the biggest impacts on the direction of my life - would be Rowlands "The Philosopher and the Wolf".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Never was i hit so hard by truth then in my mid 20s when i found this. It thought me so much about how i work, how others work, and the addiction we have to pretty much everything so we can create more 'self' belief. It showed me how i was using everything and anyone to further more evidence of my own self image.

quotes:
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/54195.Anthony_de_Mello

“I have no fear of losing you, for you aren’t an object of my property, or anyone else’s. I love you as you are, without attachment, without fears, without conditions, without egoism, trying not to absorb you. I love you freely because I love your freedom, as well as mine”
    ― Anthony de Mello

I just bought several of the books suggested here as a gift for myself. Great Thread OP!

Great quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am not sure i could say a nonfiction book changed by life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I used to be a voracious reader...the first 2 books I got from the library were Baba Yaga & a book on model plane construction :)
    As for books that affected me deeply.. Paule Kimmage's autobiography.. Paul McGrath's also
    Further afield Bury my heart at Wounded Knee & John Hersey's Hiroshima

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I used to be a voracious reader...the first 2 books I got from the library were Baba Yaga & a book on model plane construction :)
    As for books that affected me deeply.. Paule Kimmage's autobiography.. Paul McGrath's also
    Further afield Bury my heart at Wounded Knee & John Hersey's Hiroshima
    Who is the author of Baba Yaga?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

_Enlightenment Now_ by Steven Pinker - really puts it all into perspective and how this is the greatest time to be alive in history, don't listen to the doom and gloom media...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Moved to literature forum. Please observe the local charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

The Velvet Rage by Alan Downs.

It's written by an American counsellor/"shrink" who had a lot of gay clients. He noticed the same destructive patterns in their lives and wrote a book detailing the general stages gay men pass through in order to accept themselves. It's not really a guide to happiness, more a guide out of depression.

It is definitely very white upper class oriented as those were his type of clients, but the book is still hugely eye opening. It has been passed around my group of friends the last few months and we have all strongly identified with different sections of it. I'd strongly recommend it for any gay men out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Who is the author of Baba Yaga?

John Wick? :)
    Couldn't tell you tbh ...it was my first book from the library with wonderful colourful pics...old russian tale as you probably know

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Mattdhg wrote: »
    The Velvet Rage by Alan Downs.

It's written by an American counsellor/"shrink" who had a lot of gay clients. He noticed the same destructive patterns in their lives and wrote a book detailing the general stages gay men pass through in order to accept themselves. It's not really a guide to happiness, more a guide out of depression.

It is definitely very white upper class oriented as those were his type of clients, but the book is still hugely eye opening. It has been passed around my group of friends the last few months and we have all strongly identified with different sections of it. I'd strongly recommend it for any gay men out there.

Since I started reading as a hobby after college that's the only book I've read twice! It's changed my outlook no doubt.

There's another similar one called Straight Jacket by Matthew Todd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Moved to literature forum. Please observe the local charter.

The Literature forum ...

200.gif

There was nothing wrong with it in AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

As predicted. Thread gets moved to Literature and it dies. It was ok where it was in AH and had some great, positive replies

Boards in general needs a trimming of tumbleweed fora

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Didn't change my life but made a great impression on me.
    The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
    True story of a couple who lose their home and start walking the South West Coast Path.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

oopsie a double post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Running: The Autobiography
    by World Snooker Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan

would recommend it to anyone even if they know nothing about snooker :)

Advertisement