Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Reactor

Does anyone find their flatmates make them really anxious? Like if they're walking around downstairs or slamming doors etc it starts to trigger panic even if you tell yourself they're no threat to you? The worst is when their friends come around, I cant stand it sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Reactor wrote: »
    Does anyone find their flatmates make them really anxious? Like if they're walking around downstairs or slamming doors etc it starts to trigger panic even if you tell yourself they're no threat to you? The worst is when their friends come around, I cant stand it sometimes.

why dont you move into a place of your own?

Dunno, it would cost a fortune wouldnt it? I would if I could get somewhere for 60-70 Euro a week but theres no chance of that, I figure its best not to be completely cut off from the world anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

well if flat mates and their friends make you anxious then your better off having your own place

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Banging doors. I would hop my housemates of the door if I could. It makes me jump when they bang them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I used spend all my time in my room when i used to house share. I wouldnt go out to the common areas unless i was sure no-one was around. I live alone now!

Yeah Im just like that, Im starting to think having my own place would make me happy, need a job first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

phi3 wrote: »
    I used spend all my time in my room when i used to house share. I wouldnt go out to the common areas unless i was sure no-one was around. I live alone now!

I was exactly the same, I really hated it. Also, banging doors and making noise late at night sets off anxiety attaacks for me, that really pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

How do people with social anxiety cope with relationships and meeting people?

For me I find myself very lonely at times but despite craving company it terrifies me too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

C_Dawg wrote: »
    How do people with social anxiety cope with relationships and meeting people?

For me I find myself very lonely at times but despite craving company it terrifies me too lol

Very badly! Part of why I haven't been doing well recently

• Advertisement

phi3 wrote: »
    Very badly! Part of why I haven't been doing well recently

Yeah I know how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Today - I'm not sure what's worse....the fear of the panic attacks, or the fear that they'll never stop.

Yesterday was very, very bad. For me. I know my issues mightn't seem that big, but in my head they're huge.

I think it's the time of year too....after Christmas, still dark and cold all the time. Doesn't help.

Some inspirational thoughts.....

If things go wrong, don't go with them.

Real difficulties can be overcome, it is only the imaginary ones that are unconquerable.

Somehow our devils are never quite what we expect when we meet them face to face.

It is the little bits of things that fret and worry us; we can dodge a elephant, but we can't dodge a fly

If you see ten troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that nine will run into the ditch before they reach you.

Many of our fears are tissue-paper-thin, and a single courageous step would carry us clear through them.

Maybe not overly helpful for everyone, but some good thoughts there all the same. Found here.
    http://www.quotegarden.com/social-anxiety.html
    (Now if only I could put them into practice!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Today - I'm not sure what's worse....the fear of the panic attacks, or the fear that they'll never stop.

Yesterday was very, very bad. For me. I know my issues mightn't seem that big, but in my head they're huge.

I think it's the time of year too....after Christmas, still dark and cold all the time. Doesn't help.

I know exactly what you mean Panic Central. If I'm not worrying about one I'm worrying about the other.

I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself back into a structured day after Christmas.

In good news I just went out for an hours walk/jog and didn't panic. Feeling slightly anxious now but am also glad I forced myself to go out and do the exercise

SL10 wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean Panic Central. If I'm not worrying about one I'm worrying about the other.

I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself back into a structured day after Christmas.

In good news I just went out for an hours walk/jog and didn't panic. Feeling slightly anxious now but am also glad I forced myself to go out and do the exercise

I know what you mean about the worrying. I'm back in work now about a month or so and I'm slowly taking up different roles again but I'm worrying what'll come next etc. Mad paranoia too.

Congratulations on getting out and about today by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Thanks C Dawg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Did you ever find that if you are in a good or ok mood, the smallest thing that most people could just brush off as nothing can just get you down again? I just take every little thing to heart and let it affect me too much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

Did you ever find that if you are in a good or ok mood, the smallest thing that most people could just brush off as nothing can just get you down again? I just take every little thing to heart and let it affect me too much :(

I so understand that. As bad as it might sound, sometimes, the smallest thing someone says to me can take me a couple of weeks ( yes weeks) to get over. I don't know why that is. I think its because I'm overly sensitive, but then again, people need to realise what they're saying!!

I'd love to be able to just brush things off, but unfortunately i'm just not that kind of character. feeling very :( right now. not sure why... maybe its the prospect of another year where NOTHING will change :(

I so understand that. As bad as it might sound, sometimes, the smallest thing someone says to me can take me a couple of weeks ( yes weeks) to get over. I don't know why that is. I think its because I'm overly sensitive, but then again, people need to realise what they're saying!!

I'd love to be able to just brush things off, but unfortunately i'm just not that kind of character. feeling very :( right now. not sure why... maybe its the prospect of another year where NOTHING will change :(

I just want to be one of those care free people, who don't let stupid things get them down! But people can be very non-understanding of situations too, not sure if its really their fault though.

Doing pretty bad too, cause I haven't been doing any of my positive new years resolutions! Maybe don't think so much about how things won't change this year, and maybe think of things that you can do to change them? :) I know its easier said than done, but making a list of positive changes in your life is a start at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I can identify with pretty much all of that. I am really sensitive, and get upset over little things that others wouldn't think twice about. Hearing one little innocuous thing will cause me to think about a million other things, and so the slightest comment will cause me to overanalyse and become fixated on every single problem in my life and every thing I hate about myself.

And the last line in particular resonates a lot; what scares me is that I really have nothing to look forward to in 2011 and so feel like there's no point making resolutions or anything. What's the point in trying to get better and better yourself if ultimately there's nothing worth getting better for? :(

• Advertisement

I can identify with pretty much all of that. I am really sensitive, and get upset over little things that others wouldn't think twice about. Hearing one little innocuous thing will cause me to think about a million other things, and so the slightest comment will cause me to overanalyse and become fixated on every single problem in my life and every thing I hate about myself.

And the last line in particular resonates a lot; what scares me is that I really have nothing to look forward to in 2011 and so feel like there's no point making resolutions or anything. What's the point in trying to get better and better yourself if ultimately there's nothing worth getting better for? :(

i completely understand all of that, esp when you say "whats the point in even trying". I'm not sure where i'm gonna go from there. I've been on to the samaritans ( a lot) who've been great, but ultimately, i haven't really progressed. that in itself is a massive downer. i'm trying real hard at the moment what with it being a new year (i've enrolled in an evening class - that's massive for me!), and i even went on a date on thurs night (man, that was hard, and tbh i had no interest) but i'm gonna keep on trying to push myself. Otherwise, whats the alternative?

The slightest thing takes me a massive amount of effort, but i'm trying my best to just "do it". Its so hard, but I hope something good will eventually come of it.

tbh, i just wanna stay in bed, but i know that there's more to life than that. whether i like it or not, i'm just gonna put myself out there for now. i don't expect anything to come of it, but at least i'm gonna try. god, this is even hard to type. sorry if i'm boring you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

You're not boring me at all! :) After all, this thread exists for a reason and I can understand/identify with a lot of what you say. (I'm sure many others can too.)

The evening class thing is fantastic; having something like that to occupy you is a great thing. And even if that date didn't go too well.....well, it's better than nothing at least! You put yourself out there and gave it a shot; that's the important thing.

It's always better to try than to stay in bed and wallow in self pity. Unfortunately, the latter is so much simpler. :( If I can just find motivation and drive somewhere, if I can believe that putting effort into my life will reap rewards, then I reckon I'd be well on a way to recovery. As it stands, I'm just too used to being disappointed with myself to make any sort of serious effort.

And even if that date didn't go too well.....well, it's better than nothing at least! You put yourself out there and gave it a shot; that's the important thing.

thats the thing, it went pretty well. was a perfectly pleasant evening etc, no awkward silences or anything, and we got on pretty well. problem is, i just have no interest in pursuing it. its driving me mad that i don't. she ticked all the boxes in that respect. its obviously down to me, and just not being that bothered :mad:

i guess my point is that i'm continuing to try at least. although i have no positive expectations of what will happen, i'll still try (i can thank lexapro for that).

i mean, at the end of the day, if you don't try, then nothing good will happen.
    i'm just trying right now and hoping for the best. in the back of my mind though, nothings gonna change :(

There's a thread over in the "phobias" forum, that maybe should be linked to this thread?

Unfortunately, you can't post anonymously there, so I can't post there, but I noticed something very interesting there that had been copied and pasted from an anxiety site. I thought the articles were very good. I don't pretend that I have what some people would call full social anxiety,as there are those who are far worse than me. But there's no doubt I have problems with obsessive thinking and anxiety in certain situations and about certain things.For me, it's a case of learning to control my thinking, so it stops overcoming me - I can go through good periods for months on end, then suddenly, awful periods for months on end, where life and my thoughts just get the better of me, though I struggle on with it anyway.

So I hope the original poster doesn't mind, but I've copied some of the articles that he/she did onto the phobias forum, along with the original link to the site in question. I hope this helps some people.

FROM THE WEBSITE ANXIETY NO MORE
    LISTEN TO YOUR BODY

When we first experience anxiety, it is, in most cases because of a period of stress and worry. Our body cannot take any more so it sort of shuts down; it has reached a breaking point and has said enough is enough. This may lead to feelings of anxiousness, feelings of panic, the feelings of detachment. It does not matter what the symptoms are; your body is saying “I can take no more”, which is where the word breakdown comes in, because that is really what it is. Now all your body is asking for is a rest and time to rejuvenate itself. Do we give it that time? No, through no fault of our own, we then worry about these symptoms, worry that we are going mad, wonder why we feel so anxious, so emotionless and this puts more worry and strain on our already tired body. We may begin to feel worse, we tell ourselves we must get a grip of this thing, so we fight it and worry even more. Well I think you can now see why these symptoms persist.
    This is exactly what I did for all those years while I suffered. In fact I was worrying because I had been ill for so long and my days were filled with fighting and worry. This is what I am forever telling people. In order to help yourself, do not fight to feel better. Do not worry and obsess about how you feel. You need to give your body the break it so craves.

EMBRACE NATURE
    Step outside and take a walk, go for a bike ride or a swim. Try not to sit around indulging in self-pity at the way you are feeling. Getting out of the familiar surroundings that you find yourself in every day can refresh your mind and really give it another focus apart from yourself. This is a very good way of helping your thoughts become more outward instead of inward.
    Exercise is also one of the best physical stress-reducing techniques available. Exercise not only improves your mental and physical health it also reduces stress. It relaxes tense muscles and can aid sleep. Exercise also burns off all the stress chemicals and creates a release for all the anxiety and worry that can build up in our day.

JUST BE
    Stop fighting your symptoms, tensing against how you feel, trying to push your symptoms away. Don't spend everyday going round in circles trying to figure it all out. This just adds more stress and anxiety to how you feel. Worrying just makes your mind more and more tired, more and more detached from everything around you. If fighting worked you would be cured by now so why not try the opposite. Recovery is never a 'I must rid myself of these feelings', it is all about not doing. Some people try and control how they feel day in, day out, they worry and fight their way through their day, trying to get the better of this thing. Imagine the stress this puts on that person, the body wants and needs a break and it gets the exact opposite. When you go round all day trying to physically and mentally control how you feel, do something about it, keep a grip on yourself, you are doing everything wrong, the exact opposite of what you should do.
    However you feel, just accept it. Fighting your symptoms and trying to push them away just adds more tension to your already anxious body, it just adds to your feelings of anxiety and this is why this condition stays with you. You can never hope to recover this way. It is human nature to fight something, it is all we know to do. But with anxiety it is the very last thing you should do.

EMBRACE YOUR FEARS
    Start to move towards your fears, as you may now know avoidance just does not work. By avoiding you are telling your body you are in danger, this then becomes a learnt behaviour and forms your new habit to run away from how you are feeling.
    The best bit of self help advice I was given was "Avoid your fears and they begin to grow, move towards them and they dampen" This may not be easy at times, but this is the way to de-sensitise. Invite your symptoms and fears, shake them by the hand, let them be there. They hate been invited as they have no fear to feed on and this is the very thing that keeps them alive.

FORGET THE MIRACLE CURE
    Just like I did, too many people like spend too much time searching for that miracle cure or the new magic pill that is just going to make it all go away instantly, that cure that so many people falsely promise. They also may be convinced they have missed something and that the answer must have eluded them so far. I tried every so called cure available to me, until I realised the cure must come from within. Recovery comes through the correct information and a little patience. The best way to help yourself is not to spend every day trying to rid yourself of how you are feeling, but to be willing to work with the feelings there. This is the way to give your mind and body a break. Worrying and fighting daily just adds to your feelings of anxiety and panic and keeps you in the cycle. Nothing is achieved overnight, but with knowledge, comes less worry, less fear and this helps give your mind and body the time and space it needs to recover. In the end it was a realisation that I had to let recovery come to me and not to spend hours each day chasing it.

STOP THE "WHAT IF'S"
    Today is a good day to stop the 'What if' thoughts.
    What if I never get better?
    What if it’s not anxiety, but a different mental problem?
    What if my old self is lost forever?
    What if there is something else wrong with me, brain tumour?
    What if I can't breathe?
    What if I have to live like this for the rest of my life?
    What if it’s just me that feels like this?
    What if I'll never be able to enjoy the things I used to?
    Thoughts like this are a waste of time and they usually amount to nothing.
    All they do is keep your anxiety alive. All this worrying puts a tremendous burden on your body. Recovery is not about resting the body as much as resting the mind. Thrashing it daily with worrying thoughts only increases your feelings of panic and anxiety. Since recovery, I have found that worrying is the single most useless emotion we have. It serves no purpose whatsoever and is only counter-productive.
    The next time you have one of these ' What if ' thoughts, just let it go. It's just your habit to worry - understand this - realise it will serve you no purpose and just let it go.

UNDERSTANDING FEELINGS OF UNREALITY - RECOVERING FROM DEPERSONALISATION AND DEREALISATION
    Sufferers of Depersonalisation or Derealisation feel divorced from both the world and their own body. Often people who experience depersonalisation claim that life "feels like a dream", things seem unreal, or hazy; some say they feel detached from their surroundings. Another symptom of this condition can be the constant worrying or strange thoughts that people find hard to switch off.
    People often say that no matter how hard they try, they don't feel like they can interact with the world around them. They feel a sense of detachment from their surroundings, finding it hard to talk and connect with others. Also they feel no love for the people closest to them and even question if they did a certain task or had a particular conversation. The most upsetting thing is they lose a sense of who they are and can't seem to perceive themselves as being normal.
    Depersonalisation is a common and understandable offshoot of the anxiety condition. Before going further into depersonalisation, let me clear up one thing that I get asked often. “No, you are not going mad.” This feeling comes from being constantly worried about your own problems, it is not serious or harmful in any way and has a totally logical explanation. It is temporary and, with patience and understanding, eventually passes like any other symptom.
    Depersonalisation occurs with anxiety because you are so used to watching yourself, questioning your illness, day in, day out, that you start to feel detached from the outside world. Your mind has become tired and less resilient through watching and worrying about your symptoms. It has been bombarded with worrying thoughts and becomes fatigued. When our limbs tire, they ache. When our mind tires, we feel these strange feelings of detachment from the world around us, experiencing an almost dreamlike state, convincing ourselves that we are going mad or losing it. You are not; your mind is just so very tired and just craves a rest from all this introspection of oneself.
    When people are caught up in the worry cycle, they begin to think deeply and constantly. They study themselves from deep within, checking in and focusing on their symptoms. They may even wake in the morning only to continue this habit, “How do I feel this morning? “I wonder if I will be able to get through today?”. What’s this new sensation I feel?” This may go on all day, exhausting their already tired mind further. This constant checking in and constant assessing of their symptoms then becomes a habit. The more they worry and obsess about how they are feeling, the more detached they feel, which in turn has them worrying and obsessing even more, the outside world now takes up little of their attention, they are just so concerned about themselves.
    All this worry is bound to make your mind feel dull and unresponsive. You are so concerned about how you feel, that you are letting nothing else into your day. Is it any wonder you have come to feel so distanced and detached from your surroundings? Is it any wonder you find it so hard to concentrate? Some people, when studying for exams for hours on end, reach the point where they can no longer take information in, so they take a break and carry on the day after. For you, there are no breaks and no time outs.
    What a lot of people don’t know is that depersonalisation can occur in people without anxiety or panic issues. This can occur when someone has lost a loved one, been involved in an accident or maybe a recent shock. It is the body’s way of protecting you from all the worry or hurt you maybe feeling, like a safety valve and it is there to protect you. This is normally temporary and when, say, the person grieving overcomes some of the hurt, the depersonalisation will fade. The trouble with anxiety is that people suffering have a tendency to worry and the depersonalisation comes along to protect you from all this stress and daily worry. People can then feel detached, empty or emotionless. What happens then is that people begin to worry and obsess over this new feeling, thinking it's something serious or they are going mad. They may even forget their anxiety and focus solely on this new feeling which can lead to these feelings increasing. The unreality grows as we enter a cycle of worry and fear and so your body protects you from these feelings of unreality even more, making you feel more distanced and detached than ever. It is the very worry and fear over this feeling that keeps you in the cycle.
    The way to move forward out of depersonalisation is not to worry and obsess about it, but to work with it there; to give it as much space as it needs and not be too impressed by it. See it as your body protecting you and not a sign that something terrible is happening or that you are going mad. This symptom is like any other and the more you worry or obsess about it, the bigger the problem can become and the longer you stay in the cycle.

The site in question is called www.anxietynomore.co.uk. There's a lot more on it, and while there is a book, almost everything is there, and is free. I don't know if the original poster has found this forum or not yet, but if they have, I'd like to say thanks to them.

I'm sorry this post is so long, but I have long come to the conclusion that while my brain thinks it should "solve" all the anxiety in my head, my common sense is telling me that I can't, as my fears are irrational, therefore I need to learn to "solve" my process of thought, rather than the content of my thought. As I am a person who had a completely normal childhood and ongoing adulthood, there's very little for me to talk about to a psychologist/psychotherapist. Which leads me to conclude that I'm better to focus on CBT and control techniques for anxiety.And in fact, I find that I AM better with that. It's hard, and every day is a learning experience, but I find that letting go is substantially easier than fighting all the time.And seems to work better. But I always find it strange that this bad habit of obsessive thinking that I seem to have learned in minutes can be so hard to shake, whereas good habits like just enjoying life and living in the moment, can be so hard to gain.

Sorry again for the length and I hope some of this helps people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭alias141282

Very bad day today. Its a lovely day outside but I'm not coping well at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Billy7878

Very bad day today. Its a lovely day outside but I'm not coping well at all.

why whats the matter alias?:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭alias141282

Billy7878 wrote: »
    why whats the matter alias?:(:(

Just loads of obsessive rumination.

There's nothing worse. Obsessive rumination is awful, and very hard to control.

I'm facing into a new job this weeks after several months of unemployment. Since I've been battling panic attacks, the house is like a safe zone for me. I'm so, so worried about how I'm going to cope with the "outside" world. My world, in recent months, has reduced to me, my home, and the odd few trips I take every now and then, and my OH. I've been ok all afternoon, but the last hour, my stomach has swooped down and my heart is thumping. I don't start til mid-week, but I'm exhausted worrying about how I'll manage, will the panic attacks happen, what if this new job doesn't help stop the attacks (taking my mind outside itself), what if I'm completely exhausted by worrying that I can't handle this...what if, what if, what if.....

Worse the first few days are in another part of the country, which is terrifying me too.Away from my comfort zone of my home, and my OH, who is the solid rock in my life, in a whole new territory, new people, new job...I'm nearly sick worrying about it here. I don't like a night away from my OH at the best of times, and when I'm like this, I just want to cry at the thought.

I hope you feel better alias, but if not, please try and take comfort from the fact that you're not alone in your obsessive thoughts, there are others around here who are willing to listen and understand how it feels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Billy7878

Just loads of obsessive rumination.

ye they are very difficult to snap out of, do you do much exercise when them, Ive found that since I started exercising whenever i get ruminating thoughts it helps me to break out of the cycle, they are the worst thing ever can really get me bogged down

• Advertisement

I don't think my friends like to be around me or talk to me when I'm in a bad mood, so I just try and stay out of their way. But then I feel so lonely and even worse :(

Definitely gonna start exercising again this week. My family are getting very concerned with how much time I spend in bed :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement