Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DualSense Controller Issues Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭touchwood

It depends on what network you are ringing from, Vodafone wouldn't work for me but 3 would.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Yeah I'm on Vodafone and got through on the day using another network

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just had another episode of the controller not turning on the PS5. Powered off last night, tried to power on there and no reaction from the DS, no lights, etc. Powered on the PS5 with the button, connected the DS via cable and turned on straight away with the PS button. All good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

My R2 is gone super sensitive now. Playing Demon souls then control around release definitely caused it but only in the last few days the spring has fully snapped., I can hear it rattling around. Fairly annoyed that after 4 months this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone getting a prompt that their controller needs an update?

I've gotten one for the last two days and it asks me to connect the controller via USB but when I do the "Update Now" button is greyed out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

TitianGerm wrote: »

I've gotten one for the last two days and it asks me to connect the controller via USB but when I do the "Update Now" button is greyed out.

I had to google it a few days ago too, wouldn't update for me.
    I did the following and it worked.
    Has to be an easier way...

Disable 'Connect to the Internet' from the Settings menu. This can be found by navigating to Settings then Network.
    Change the PS5's date to the following day. Go to Settings, then System, then select Date and Time.
    Connect the PS5 controller to the PS5 via USB-C.
    Restart the PS5.
    Update the PS5 controller.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TitianGerm wrote: »

I had to plug out my charging dock and dongle for headset plug controller in and it took about 45 seconds for the button to change to allow me click

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My X is gone sticky. Rang Sony and got the DPD label. Then had a great time trying to get them to pick it up. If you ring the 09 number you get told to go to web chat. If you go to web chat they say you need to go back to Sony. When you get back to Sony they say just bring it to the post office!

If you go to the DPD web site it says ring the local depot. If you ring them they say they have no booking to go back to Sony.

In the end I waited out the 09 number and got through to head office and once I said Sony they knew right away what to do.

If it is so common why not have web chat set up to book a pick up.

Anyway it is getting picked up tomorrow... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Only issue I had was getting through to Sony on the Vodafone network. DPD had no issues arranging a pickup and the controller was back to me within a week

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

My R2 is gone super sensitive now. Playing Demon souls then control around release definitely caused it but only in the last few days the spring has fully snapped., I can hear it rattling around. Fairly annoyed that after 4 months this happened.
    Very similar. Alternates from super sensitive to no action at all. Not hearing the spring yet. Astro did it for me, heard the crunch. Need to ring sony to get a return now I guess

• Advertisement

I had sent off for a repair as my X button was sticking. I got a new controller today. No box but it seems pretty new. It isn't the one I sent anyway and came from France! Was posted before mine even arrived.

I guess they are well aware of the button sticking and are just shipping replacements without even waiting for the repair engineers to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Snap - just kidding. My replacement also arrived today.
    Just finished charging it and doing the software update

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Must read back through this thread but I'm having a problem charging my controller. I noticed the battery wasn't lasting long even though I had recently charged it. Then I'd plug it in using the usb cable provided to to PS5. Little grren lightning bolt and back to gaming. Then a bit later the message pops up that battery is low and I notice it's not longer charging. Wiggling it doesn't make a difference so it's not loose. Only thing that works is unplugging the cable from the controller and putting it back in.

Happening to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 schmig

On the sticky front, I've had two buttons stick. Ridiculous as it sounds, I put the TINIEST, minuscule amount of WD40 on e.g. a paper towel and rubbed it around the button, then mashed the button a bit. This 100% fixed the stickiness for me. I reckon the first one stuck about 2 weeks in (mid to late December), another in mid Jan. No problems since.

The shoulder buttons on the other hand feel dodgy. I try to use PS4 controllers whenever possible.

Edit: I can't help myself. The thing is an abomination, can't even dust it without it falling out of its ridiculous plastic stand. I work a second job Sept-Dec and promised as treat-to-self I'd play Demon Souls during Christmas holidays: that I enjoyed, though it was marred by the coil whiiiiinnnnnnnneeeeeee. The thing has been gathering since I finished FO4. Xbox one all the way atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

Same thing happened to mine today and I mean...I have two controllers and rarely play anything, it had very few hours and still this happened. Great controller especially if you have big hands but the future doesn't look bright for the first iteration of this controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Can the helpdesk be reached on a Saturday? I've tried the 01 6917379 number but it won't connect.
    My sons controller won't connect to the PS5.
    We went through all the steps online, put it in safe mode etc but nothing has worked.
    Sony gave a ref number and told us to ring that number above but it won't ring.
    Any ideas? Thanks

trinib wrote: »
    Can the helpdesk be reached on a Saturday? I've tried the 01 6917379 number but it won't connect.
    My sons controller won't connect to the PS5.
    We went through all the steps online, put it in safe mode etc but nothing has worked.
    Sony gave a ref number and told us to ring that number above but it won't ring.
    Any ideas? Thanks

I think it is Monday to Friday and after 10am. I had a struggle getting through to them. They will make you reset it with a needl in the pin hole on the back and then plug it in with the cable. If it doesn't work they will give you a label for pick up.

My second controller's X button is now sticking. With very little use. My 5 year old daughter uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

I think it is Monday to Friday and after 10am. I had a struggle getting through to them. They will make you reset it with a needl in the pin hole on the back and then plug it in with the cable. If it doesn't work they will give you a label for pick up.

My second controller's X button is now sticking. With very little use. My 5 year old daughter uses it.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I bought a new controller later today, it won't connect either, so it seems the controller may not be the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

Got mine back today, was collected by DPD last Monday and returned today by UPS...just if anyone wants a timetable of how long it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

My ps5 controller started aiming left and right in middle of warzone was unplayable had to swap controllers..

Is there a way to find out if its the controller that came with ls5 or the one I bought? I got it off amazon so would prefer to deal with them for an exchange..

• Advertisement

Turns out the controller low battery was a bug that would show a low battery long before it needed charging. Update out today to fix it.

Turns out the controller low battery was a bug that would show a low battery long before it needed charging. Update out today to fix it.

Nice, noticed mine charging much faster since the update, constantly having to charge it before and slow to charge also.

Still have a problem of getting it to charge in the first place though. Sometimes week start charging as soon as i plug the cable into the controller, sometimes i have to unplug and plug it in again up to 7 times to get it to stay charging. Tried the rest button at the back and same thing. My missus has a c usb cable for her phone, must try it tomorrow. I know if i was to send it off and sony found the usb slot on the controller to be the problem, it would most likely be out of warranty as they'd say the cable was pulled or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Spooch

Had two controllers repaired by Sony directly this week. One for R2 button broken and the other for right analogue stick drift.

Happy with the customer service and the quickness they sent them back to me.
    Which is more than I can say for the condescending pr!ck who works in Gamestop on Patrick's Street where I bought the bloody things.

Sony must know there is issues. The had shipped my replacement from France ever before the dodgy one got to them in Dublin.

I finally tried a different usb cable on my controller last night and it worked perfect. Got a new controller this morning and kept disconnecting during firmware update with the original ps5 usb cable. Called Sony and they are sending me a new cable. I wasn't expecting them to cover the usb cable, said I'd chance it, happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Gamestop have offer, trade in your old ps5 white controller and get the new black ps5 controller for a fiver or new Red ps5 controller for a tenner. I traded in the white one in swords gamestop and since I had level 3 card I got the black controller for 1 euro. They didn't check controller but nothing wrong with it maybe r2 and l2 a bit loose so was glad to get rid of it. Person in front of me traded in 3 of them. Might be worth you doing if your afraid your white one might brk. Didn't need a box or wire just the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UnfortuateSon

Thanks for this, it was almost exactly my experience, even down to the first shipping label not working

After getting a replacement usb cable from Sony, it started acting up about 2 weeks later, exact same issue as before where it intermittently charges the controller, reconnecting it 7-8 times usually does it but lately it's not charging the controller at all. I tried 2 different controllers, every port on ps5 and 2 other cables, the problem seems to be with the PlayStation usb cable which is just weird to happen twice. Anyone recommend a usb cable to buy? I see some are only meant for low power devices and wrong cables can damage the battery life.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd highly recommend the charging dock if you're just looking for something to charge the controllers up, but it's not much use if you need to connect a controller to the console for other reasons of course, but third party cables wouldn't be any good for that either AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Charging dock won't suit me, need less things for my kid to break so just looking for a cable, sound man.

Advertisement