Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 4/128GB £129 Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

Got my note 9 today from 3 fully unlocked activated the three sim in it to use in my router them put in my 48 sim on its own works perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Should I hold out for a price drop on amazon again? Could do with a new phone soon

• Registered Users Posts: 15 iunited

Check the Xiaomi UK website, sale on at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

iunited wrote: »
    Check the Xiaomi UK website, sale on at the moment!

Deliver here?

Edit: showing as 179 pounds for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Anyone else have this issue with the phone?

Seems slow on 4g and sometimes slow on wifi. Compared to my old iPhone.

If I reboot the phone it speeds up massively again. For example, it was running slow internet wise and I did a speed test on the wifi - showed 7-8mb speeds. Turned off wifi and did a speed test and it was showing 1-2mb. Rebooted the phone and tested both again, speeds of 25-30mb on both.

Nothing unusual on my phone, I don't think! I always set apps to only refresh when you go into the app or allow them to use location etc. while using the app, so I don't think it's anything like that.

Otherwise, a brilliant phone for the money.

Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭glog

chops018 wrote: »
    Anyone else have this issue with the phone?

Seems slow on 4g and sometimes slow on wifi. Compared to my old iPhone.

If I reboot the phone it speeds up massively again. For example, it was running slow internet wise and I did a speed test on the wifi - showed 7-8mb speeds. Turned off wifi and did a speed test and it was showing 1-2mb. Rebooted the phone and tested both again, speeds of 25-30mb on both.

Nothing unusual on my phone, I don't think! I always set apps to only refresh when you go into the app or allow them to use location etc. while using the app, so I don't think it's anything like that.

Otherwise, a brilliant phone for the money.

Anyone any ideas?

With regard to Wifi, if you are using a Dual Band router then it will connect over either 2.4GHz and 5GHz. This depends on your proximity to the router.
    Speeds whilst on 5GHz will be better but the wireless penetration away from the router will be less.
    I find if initial WIfi connection is established over 2.4 GHz then sometimes it is slow to automatically switch to 5GHz even if you are beside the router.
    I don't believe this is specific to Xiaomi.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

sorry to drag off topic. looking ot get the xiaomi phone where do i get a simm card now cant see one on eir ..or do i have to buy one to port over the number to get the discount
    https://www.eir.ie/mobile/simonly/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭melikebanana

Vodafone have the 128GB redmi Note 9 with €100 off at the moment. So €99.99. I ordered online, no need to top by 20 and next day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

homingbird wrote: »
    Got my note 9 today from 3 fully unlocked activated the three sim in it to use in my router them put in my 48 sim on its own works perfect.

That doesn't prove anything: 48 sims work in 3-locked phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Does the Note 9 have NFC ?

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Vodafone have the 128GB redmi Note 9 with €100 off at the moment. So €99.99. I ordered online, no need to top by 20 and next day delivery.

Apologies if this has already been answered. Does the Voda one come unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭oinkely

Do you have a link for that? Not coming up with any discount when i search for it?

Scratch that, just found it.

oinkely wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that? Not coming up with any discount when i search for it?

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/xiaomi/redmi-note-9.html?gallery=payg

It's only if you're changing from another Network to them. Suppose even if you're with vodafone, you could easily get a sim card from somewhere and "change" network, get the phone, then use your current sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

oinkely wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭melikebanana

It's only if you're changing from another Network to them. Suppose even if you're with vodafone, you could easily get a sim card from somewhere and "change" network, get the phone, then use your current sim card.

It's a porting deal. I used an old three Sim card I had in the drawer.

It's a porting deal. I used an old three Sim card I had in the drawer.

Yeah I see that. Handy for you. Great price for the phone. I got it over Christmas for £129 on Amazon.

Recommended it to my sister then but the price the last couple of weeks seemed to be sticking at £200 on Amazon, so last week she just bought it in Vodafone for €199.99 as she's a Vodafone customer. Pity, she could have saved a few bob with this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Asus1

brightkane wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been answered. Does the Voda one come unlocked?

Yes it is,and it's dual SIM.Have mine since Christmas,I always buy cheapest phones going as they always get broken on site and for €100 it's a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Yes.

Is this confirmed as working? I've just watched a review on YouTube that said despite Xiaomi's claim of NFC on the handset he couldn't find it and Google Pay wouldn't allow the phone to be used for contactless payments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Asus1

Is this confirmed as working? I've just watched a review on YouTube that said despite Xiaomi's claim of NFC on the handset he couldn't find it and Google Pay wouldn't allow the phone to be used for contactless payments

Yes it's working on mine with an Ulster Bank debit account.
    Also it was updated to miui 12 but is still running Android 10 incase people are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yep working fine on mine with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭phester28

Yes.

Not all versions of the Note 9 have NFC so be careful.

One I bought has not got it one has. Both called Note 9 same spec otherwise.

Check in the add to be sure if you were ordering from amazon. If it turns out it did not have it then you could return it at zero expense to you

Slightly off topic, but is it worth connecting your bank card to this phone and paying with the phone via NFC? Never did it before! Presume you can just take your card off Google Pay quite easily if you wanted.

The box for the phone had an NFC sticker on it and when I was setting the phone up I think I remember it asking me to set up Google Play, plus when you do the pull down screen where the short cuts to Wifi etc. are the shortcut to turn NFC on is there also, so mine definitively has it!

Slightly off topic, but is it worth connecting your bank card to this phone and paying with the phone via NFC? Never did it before! Presume you can just take your card off Google Pay quite easily if you wanted.

The box for the phone had an NFC sticker on it and when I was setting the phone up I think I remember it asking me to set up Google Play, plus when you do the pull down screen where the short cuts to Wifi etc. are the shortcut to turn NFC on is there also, so mine definitively has it!

Yeah its worthwhile. Means you dont need to carry your wallet - use your phone at tills etc. You can use it for Revolut/N26 etc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

darn it got the redmi 9 last week in same deal.. 3G ram /32 G rom. .. i presume the note 9 is 4g ram and a better camera...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

grogi wrote: »
    That doesn't prove anything: 48 sims work in 3-locked phones.
    No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

chops018 wrote:

Do you have to top up just once and then leave it at that? And this is the version with nfc?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I've the pro and NFC works with Google pay no bother.

The Bluetooth doesn't bloody work with my wireless earphones but NFC is fine.

morgana wrote: »
    Do you have to top up just once and then leave it at that? And this is the version with nfc?

I ordered one yesterday with a free Eir sim I had. Used that to port to Vodafone to get the offer. Not putting any money on the new sim, its going into the bin. Gonna stick my regular sim into the new phone work away. Not paying any extra.

• Advertisement

Also see that Three are doing an offer on this phone as well if you port your number to them: €129 when you post (€50 off) for those that may miss out on the Amazon/Vodafone offer.

https://www.three.ie/shop/phones/xiaomi-redmi-note-9.html

Advertisement