Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temporary Clerical Officer 2021 in the Civil and Public Service (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭furrybones

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    For people who have done this before and gotten a good result; do you have any advice on how to go about this? This is my first time going for TCO and I didn't do well at all with the regular CO competition earlier this year. :(

I did quite well in the TCO campaign and then got an abysmal OOM in the CO campaign - absolutely no chance of getting anything out of it. I'm at a loss as to why, considering I would have answered much the same for both.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For people who have done this before and gotten a good result; do you have any advice on how to go about this? This is my first time going for TCO and I didn't do well at all with the regular CO competition earlier this year. :(

One of the contributors further up suggested to be firm in your answers - don't go for the safe middle option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

furrybones wrote: »
    I did quite well in the TCO campaign and then got an abysmal OOM in the CO campaign - absolutely no chance of getting anything out of it. I'm at a loss as to why, considering I would have answered much the same for both.

You have to look at the whole public jobs competition process as a lotto. There are so many people applying for these positions that PAS, (Public appointments service), would take years to go through all the applications if they actual read them. So they have constructed a Byzantine way of taking a bunch of applications and throwing them in the bin.

Keep applying for CO comps but don't rely on it. There are people who pay money to practise the type of "aptitude" test which PAS use, therefore proving aptitude testing is bogus unless its for a very specific type of work, say CIA spy. Take the people who green lighted the dáil printer that wouldn't fit in the building or whom ever copy and pasted the Maurice McCabe stuff. An aptitude test should have eliminated people who make errors like that but it doesn't and do you know why its cause its bogus. Get irritated but then move on.

Strazdas wrote: »
    One of the contributors further up suggested to be firm in your answers - don't go for the safe middle option.

That was me and it works.

Is it too early to be impatient for results of the assessment tests?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

It said results in early december sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Yes. There is a general rule of thumb for dealing with impatience as follow:

1. If you haven't received results in two weeks, it is perfectly acceptable to be impatient. (Solution: Give out on Boards)

2. If you haven't received results in three weeks, it perfectly acceptable to be concerned. (Solution: Email PAS for update)

3. If you haven't received results in four weeks, it perfectly acceptable to be deeply worried. (Solution: Ring PAS for update)

Just out of interest, does the main CO competition have a similar format and one hour assessment test?

Just out of interest, does the main CO competition have a similar format and one hour assessment test?

Yes but there is also a “aptitude” test as part of the process.

For the CO competition, the assessment questionnaire is very similar but you would also have a Verbal reasoning and Numerical reasoning tests which are about 20-30 minutes each.

While you have to pass all 3 test to proceed, only the assessment questionnaire and Verbal Reasoning tests score count toward your order of merit for interview.

Correction, I checked and there was no aptitude tests for CO 2020. That may change again next time around but this year the CO and TCO were essentially the same format for Stage 1 and likewise are moving straight to Stage 2 interviews.

• Advertisement

For the CO competition, the assessment questionnaire is very similar but you would also have a Verbal reasoning and Numerical reasoning tests which are about 20-30 minutes each.

While you have to pass all 3 test to proceed, only the assessment questionnaire and Verbal Reasoning tests score count toward your order of merit for interview.

Are you sure about that, I’ve done a few tests above in Dublin and despite me doing well on verbal the maths one always brought down my score.

Are you sure about that, I’ve done a few tests above in Dublin and despite me doing well on verbal the maths one always brought down my score.

There was no aptitude tests for CO2020, so clearly not.

But that is how they use to mark the aptitude test. they want a minimum standard of math but after that its disregarded for OOM purpose, same for the EO/AO.

Yes. There is a general rule of thumb for dealing with impatience as follow:

1. If you haven't received results in two weeks, it is perfectly acceptable to be impatient. (Solution: Give out on Boards)

2. If you haven't received results in three weeks, it perfectly acceptable to be concerned. (Solution: Email PAS for update)

3. If you haven't received results in four weeks, it perfectly acceptable to be deeply worried. (Solution: Ring PAS for update)

Some very sound guidelines there, lol. I fear I may perish from the impatience by week 4. :(

I can't speak for the CO, but in the EO assessments the numerical reasoning wasn't taken into account for the final score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

What happens if you don’t do well at stage 1, will they email you to tell you that you were unsuccessful?

I did the test questions and I was advised to apply for a position if I had not already done so on all four parts, I was happy with that!

upinthesky wrote: »
    What happens if you don’t do well at stage 1, will they email you to tell you that you were unsuccessful?

I did the test questions and I was advised to apply for a position if I had not already done so on all four parts, I was happy with that!

If you were to be unsuccessful, you would be informed in the results email that you didn't meet the qualifying standard. And unfortunately, your out of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

There was no CO aptitude test in Dublin this year. And no bulk interviews. They are calling as positions arise so very slow moving unless in Dublin. I think Limerick are on no20. Also AFAIK it's only a one year panel that closes in May (unless circumstances change).

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Is there likely only going to be a stage one in this, much like the last CO competition?

Is there likely only going to be a stage one in this, much like the last CO competition?

Yes, Stage 2 is Online Interview via Zoom.

Yes, Stage 2 is Online Interview via Zoom.

Is true that recent TCOs will skip this step

• Advertisement

Is true that recent TCOs will skip this step

Thats what is says in the Information Booklet but as I'm sure you know, its not true until it happens.
    Candidates who have successfully completed a TCO contract/s within the 3 years prior to 9th November 2020 may not be required to undergo a Stage 2 - Interview. Such candidates will, if advanced to Stage 2, instead be required to provide satisfactory references, for the period of the TCO contract/s in question, confirming suitable performance in the role. These references will be verified with the relevant Department. Other additional references may also be required for other recent employment. Please note that details of all prior TCO contracts, including those within the last 3 years, must be provided on the Standard Application Form.
    - pg. 5

There was no CO aptitude test in Dublin this year. And no bulk interviews. They are calling as positions arise so very slow moving unless in Dublin. I think Limerick are on no20. Also AFAIK it's only a one year panel that closes in May (unless circumstances change).

One would imagine Covid-19 seriously disrupted everything this year. Anyone who applied for this panel was unlucky in their timing, especially if it closes in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭I am me123

For those already on a TCO temporary open contract, is it nescessary to apply for the 2021 campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

I am me123 wrote: »
    For those already on a TCO temporary open contract, is it nescessary to apply for the 2021 campaign?

Yes I am on a TCO open contract at the moment and applied for TCO 2021 just in case current contract may come to an end soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Yes I am on a TCO open contract at the moment and applied for TCO 2021 just in case current contract may come to an end soon.

cvb03 wrote: »

Im on a temporary open contract ( for a minimum of 8 weeks) at present in DEASP.
    Is it likely my current contract will be extended? I have not applied for the 2021 campaign.

An open contract is like gold to a tco because after four years your become permanent. There is a small chance you could be dropped at any stage with only a weeks notice however.

An open contract is like gold to a tco because after four years your become permanent. There is a small chance you could be dropped at any stage with only a weeks notice however.

I dont believe they are "Open" in that way. I reckon they are "specific purpose" aka a contract of uncertain duration, like what they use for maternity leave etc.

The DEASP fought the Unions in court to prevent the TCO's in the public services card section becoming permanent. I would be surprised if they risked going down that road again.

Does that suggest that (in my case) that there may be a chance I could be kept on after the 8 weeks? In DEASP.

• Advertisement

I dont believe they are "Open" in that way. I reckon they are "specific purpose" aka a contract of uncertain duration, like what they use for maternity leave etc.

The DEASP fought the Unions in court to prevent the TCO's in the public services card section becoming permanent. I would be surprised if they risked going down that road again.

Was that recent, I was in a psc section last year, half the staff where on there fourth year and I heard no mention of that. There was only two full time people out of 12.

Before I left there was a reshuffling of entire Permanent staff and 1 person came from elsewhere. None of the permanents where happy about the moves

Advertisement