Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'm thinking I want to keep it a surprise. I can overplan sometimes, for now I just want to focus on preparing for a baby (rather than a girl or a boy).
    It's my first pregnancy, I'm sure if we have a second child I'm sure I'll want to know then, logistically it would make life a lot easier :)

I had NIPT too and didn't opt to find out the gender

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

rosie087 wrote: »
    Yeah I was starting to think I'd never feel normal again! Initially my partner and I said we'd leave it as a surprise but now we've changed our minds and are going to find out at the next scan so I'm really excited. We had the option with the harmony scan but it was too early for us at that point.

Are you going to find out?

Very exciting!

No we're going to keep it as a surprise. My husband is convinced it's a boy and I'm thinking girl so one of us will be right anyway!

We really don't mind though I can see the joys of having both.

I just really hope we don't accidentally see any bits during the scan that we don't wanna see!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

How's everyone doing this week?

I'm 18 weeks this coming week. I've been feeling movements the last 2 weeks. Only when I'm lying down and still. Very subtle flutters, like a tiny little spasm. The past few days it's a bit like having a goldfish in my belly trying to swim its way out. Very very cool sensation and I absolutely love feeling it. It's not consistent though and isn't following a pattern just yet but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Anyone else feeling life in them yet?

Pretty sure I’ve felt some movements the last few days, although it’s my first so not too sure! Feels like bubbles popping? 18 weeks this week

We’re going to keep the gender a surprise too :) I’ve terrible insomnia the last week or so, awake most of the night! Maybe Mother Nature preparing me for what’s to come !

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

How's everyone doing this week?

I'm 18 weeks this coming week. I've been feeling movements the last 2 weeks. Only when I'm lying down and still. Very subtle flutters, like a tiny little spasm. The past few days it's a bit like having a goldfish in my belly trying to swim its way out. Very very cool sensation and I absolutely love feeling it. It's not consistent though and isn't following a pattern just yet but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Anyone else feeling life in them yet?

Definitely feeling flutters this week, I just imagine little fingers and toes in there wiggling.

Thought I had all my energy back, but after planting a lot of bulbs this morning I could not keep my eyes open this afternoon. Thankfully husband working from home and Frozen entertained the 3 year old. Will not push myself so hard from here on in.

Hope everyone is feeling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aurian_loh

gigglybits wrote: »
    Definitely feeling flutters this week, I just imagine little fingers and toes in there wiggling.

Thought I had all my energy back, but after planting a lot of bulbs this morning I could not keep my eyes open this afternoon. Thankfully husband working from home and Frozen entertained the 3 year old. Will not push myself so hard from here on in.

Hope everyone is feeling well.

Aw so exciting that ye are all starting to feel flutters now. I'm 16 weeks so a little behind yet.

• Advertisement

Aurian_loh wrote: »
    Aw so exciting that ye are all starting to feel flutters now. I'm 16 weeks so a little behind yet.

I'm 16 weeks too and want so badly to feel something, but nothing yet unfortunately, I know it's super early to be fair :)

GingerLily wrote: »
    I'm 16 weeks too and want so badly to feel something, but nothing yet unfortunately, I know it's super early to be fair :)

You will soon! Starts off so light you really need to be lying down still to feel it... And when you do think you feel it you'll think its just digestion or gas bubbles but then you'll feel it again... And again.... 😀

Happy Christmas to all the expectant mamas here! Hope you all have a good Christmas :)

Hi everyone

Anybody have their 20 week scan yet? I have mine on Thursday next week,, I'll be 22+1 then so it's late enough.

Happy Christmas GingerLily and all the ladies here.

okeydokeys22 I have my scan next Saturday, I will be 21 + 5 at that point. Am looking forward to it as some mornings I am woken at 5 am with plenty of movement but I might go a few days without feeling anything. I know the baby could be positioned or facing in a way that I cannot feel anything or perhaps the placenta is between baby and my belly but a bit of visual reassurance would be most welcome.

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas GingerLily and all the ladies here.

okeydokeys22 I have my scan next Saturday, I will be 21 + 5 at that point. Am looking forward to it as some mornings I am woken at 5 am with plenty of movement but I might go a few days without feeling anything. I know the baby could be positioned or facing in a way that I cannot feel anything or perhaps the placenta is between baby and my belly but a bit of visual reassurance would be most welcome.

Not long to until the scan for you now, nothing like hearing and seeing a heartbeat to put your mind at ease.

I was having a bit of movement from quite early on but Ive found the last few days I'm not feeling as much.

Only really feeling the odd shift and kick when I'm lying down on my back, mainly when relaxing in the evenings. But if I'm up and about I don't feel it. I don't know if that's normal or what at this stage. My head runs away with me and I start thinking the worst. I need to learn to relax!

Only really feeling the odd shift and kick when I'm lying down on my back, mainly when relaxing in the evenings. But if I'm up and about I don't feel it. I don't know if that's normal or what at this stage. My head runs away with me and I start thinking the worst. I need to learn to relax!

I feel the exact same way. I'm only feeling movements at night time and not noticing during the day at all. Each time I had a doc appointment or scan I had thought this will settle my nerves and convince me that everything is going ok and I can relax. But that feeling lasts for max a week after and I start over analysing every little thing or madly searching the internet to compare myself to everyone else experience.

It's crazy because usually I'm pretty rational and understand everyone is different and comparing yourself is the most ridiculous thing to do.

My next scan is tuesday week so I'll get a week of reassurance from that ha ha ha.

I feel the exact same way. I'm only feeling movements at night time and not noticing during the day at all. Each time I had a doc appointment or scan I had thought this will settle my nerves and convince me that everything is going ok and I can relax. But that feeling lasts for max a week after and I start over analysing every little thing or madly searching the internet to compare myself to everyone else experience.

It's crazy because usually I'm pretty rational and understand everyone is different and comparing yourself is the most ridiculous thing to do.

My next scan is tuesday week so I'll get a week of reassurance from that ha ha ha.

I suppose we're all the same. I know deep down in a few weeks time the baby will have my belly black and blue from the stronger kicks and punches so I should enjoy the "flutters" while they last!

I think my scan Thursday will never arrive for reassurance. Pity we can't go out for a meal or something after to celebrate but we're gonna just pop into the shops and pick up a few baby clothes for the first time afterwards as a little celebration.

I suppose we're all the same. I know deep down in a few weeks time the baby will have my belly black and blue from the stronger kicks and punches so I should enjoy the "flutters" while they last!

I think my scan Thursday will never arrive for reassurance. Pity we can't go out for a meal or something after to celebrate but we're gonna just pop into the shops and pick up a few baby clothes for the first time afterwards as a little celebration.

Mines next Monday! Completely agree, I think I can feel movement but it's so hard to know if I really am, I can't wait for the scan.

Love that idea to celebrate, I haven't started buying yet, waiting for the big scan and the January sales :)

Love that idea to celebrate, I haven't started buying yet, waiting for the big scan and the January sales :)

Thankfully my brother and his wife were getting rid of all their baby stuff so we got an early xmas present. Have almost all the big things except the buggy. Just now need to do up a room to put it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rosie087

Hope you all are keeping well! I'm 22 weeks today. I was booked in for an early scan at 15 weeks due to some family history and had a follow up scan at 19 weeks. I thought that the 20 week scan was separate and that my partner *might* get to be there for it but they rolled it all into the 19 week check which I didn't realise at the time. It's lovely seeing everything, makes it feel way more real so fingers crossed they all go well for you and you can enjoy.

I've bought a cot and changing unit in the sales and a friend gave me her side sleeper. Next big item will be the pram. Just need to find room for it all now.

Hi, hope all doing well despite the doom and gloom. Had 20 week scan in NMH yesterday (I am just about 22 weeks now). I went in first, appt was at 3, was in the scan room at 3.05. Once in you phone husband/partner and they come into the hospital to join you. We were there about 15 minutes. All went well and measuring correctly and had a couple of photos to take home.

Feeling grateful to have my mind put at ease and wanting to paint/wallpaper/scrub the whole house, although my back might have other ideas.

Anyone else having back pain at the moment?

Hi, hope all doing well despite the doom and gloom. Had 20 week scan in NMH yesterday (I am just about 22 weeks now). I went in first, appt was at 3, was in the scan room at 3.05. Once in you phone husband/partner and they come into the hospital to join you. We were there about 15 minutes. All went well and measuring correctly and had a couple of photos to take home.

I rang nuig last week and was told that my husband was not allowed in. Made it sound like they never were allowed at all. Due for my scan on tuesday.

I rang nuig last week and was told that my husband was not allowed in. Made it sound like they never were allowed at all. Due for my scan on tuesday.

That's a right pain.

I had phoned on Thursday to just confirm whether he was allowed in or not as with the increasing covid numbers it could change. It was very strange. Just met security guy at front door, was sent up to 2nd floor. No one at scanning reception just a note to tell me where to wait, no one in waiting room. Was beginning to doubt that I had it right at all. Was called in exactly on time. It was a Saturday however, but so empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tatevik

Happy New Year everyone!

I had my 20 week scan on Thursday (New Year's Eve) so it was a lovely way to end the year!

My husband was allowed in with me in the Rotunda which was great and baby was perfect thank god.

Was brilliant to have some reassurance as I wasn't feeling any movements (I was 22 weeks on Saturday) but have since started feeling tiny little flutters, maybe I was waiting to see the baby first!! We didn't find out the gender so will be a surprise come May. The midwife was brilliant, she didn't say he or she once and asked us to close our eyes when she was doing the gender part.

I've started to buy a few bits now which is all very exciting!! Hope ye are all well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

We are due for our 20-22 week scan next week and we have been told no partners allowed into the rotunda as of today... disappointing to say the least. I had been looking forward for this the whole time.

bri007 wrote: »
    We are due for our 20-22 week scan next week and we have been told no partners allowed into the rotunda as of today... disappointing to say the least. I had been looking forward for this the whole time.

I know it's not the same but would it be worth booking into a private scan also that you can attend? It's so unfair to partners.

Had my 20 week scan today. Turns out I have an anterior placenta, which makes sense because I had started to feel kicks, but only near my bladder and none on my belly :D

All went well today, husband was allowed in and baby seemed perfectly fine. So strange to see the legs and toes and ribs though <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Yeah it’s awful not being able to go in.

We just booked a scan for this weekend private one. Least that’s something and we can both go in together.
    I know it's not the same but would it be worth booking into a private scan also that you can attend? It's so unfair to partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orangetaster85

Hi everyone!
    Sorry I never posted before, I think I was just too sick!! But was lovely reading all the things I was thinking! This is my second and I'm attending the Coombe. Big scan is the 18th I'll be 22 weeks and 4. Going to book a private scan so husband can attend. It's so ****!! But I get it.

Had my scan this morning. All good thankfully but baby was uncooperative and wouldn't roll over so I have to go back again in 2 weeks to check the bits they couldnt see.

Anyone taking iron supplements yet? I noticed I was super tired again (I can literally sleep 10 hours and still nap even when I've not done much), I'm hoping maybe the supplements will help!
    Probably not helping is this weather, I'm terrfied slipping on the ice and I live on a hill and I'm Rhesus Negative so even a small bump/trip and I've to go to hospital for a shot 🙄

Anyone taking iron supplements yet? I noticed I was super tired again (I can literally sleep 10 hours and still nap even when I've not done much), I'm hoping maybe the supplements will help!
    Probably not helping is this weather, I'm terried slipping on the ice and I live on a hill and I'm Rhesus Negative so even a small bump/trip and I've to go to hospital for a shot &#55357;&#56900;

Yes, have started taking Floradix liquid. I try to take it 1 hour before eating with a drink of orange juice. Was noticing I was tired with no energy and looked pasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I've been taking Ferrograd iron supplement with vitamin C which helps with iron absorption.
    I've my big scan next Monday. One thing I'm noticing is I'm having vivid dreams that are borderline nightmares. I'm also taking hours to relax and fall asleep. I wake up tired and freaked out from the horrible dreams. I have read that its normal and all part of pregnancy. Anybody else experiencing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 rosie087

Porklife wrote: »
    I've been taking Ferrograd iron supplement with vitamin C which helps with iron absorption.
    I've my big scan next Monday. One thing I'm noticing is I'm having vivid dreams that are borderline nightmares. I'm also taking hours to relax and fall asleep. I wake up tired and freaked out from the horrible dreams. I have read that its normal and all part of pregnancy. Anybody else experiencing this?

Good luck on Monday! I'm the same with the dreams, they are very intense and have me exhausted. Usually I'd never even remember what I dreamt about but that's changed in the last few weeks. I'm not struggling to get to sleep but I wake up a lot in the night and sometimes struggle to get back to sleep after about 5am.

Advertisement