Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Gold discussion thread

• 13-10-2017 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

With the news yesterday that Will Leahy and Rick O Shea are joining rte gold on weekdays, is there actually a plan for the station or is it just the new dumping ground for jocks too old for 2fm ? What type of service is RTE Gold offering that isn't already available from Classic Hits 4fm, Q102, East coast Radio ? It seems to play an awful lot of generic 80s stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Joe Duffy. wrote: »
    With the news yesterday that Will Leahy and Rick O Shea are joining rte gold on weekdays, is there actually a plan for the station or is it just the new dumping ground for jocks too old for 2fm ? What type of service is RTE Gold offering that isn't already available from Classic Hits 4fm, Q102, East coast Radio ? It seems to play an awful lot of generic 80s stuff.

It probably has a bigger selection of songs on its playlist, most commercial stations seem to have a very small playlist by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I stick on Gold at dinnertime most days, I find it has a better selection than both 4FM and Q102 - the fact it's on DAB is the clincher for me though, as FM reception where the radio is located is patchy.

I like Gold, 2XM and Pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It's commercial-free. For anything coming from RTE, that's a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Try living outside the greater Dublin area and then you'll know all about choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Maybe Mike Moloney will resurface on RTE Gold, after he dropped from the Nova schedule recently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Like listening to its wide range of classic hits and also not having it constantly interrupted by commercials like you get on most other radio stations, Gold just runs uninterrupted which is a huge plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,892 ✭✭✭thesandeman

What are they at during the night though? Sometimes it's just prerecorded music, sometimes with a DJ. Other times a live DJ randomly appears. There seems to be no fixed days or times when they make an appearance.
    The other night he arrived at 4:40am and was gone again for rising time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

What are they at during the night though? Sometimes it's just prerecorded music, sometimes with a DJ. Other times a live DJ randomly appears. There seems to be no fixed days or times when they make an appearance.
    The other night he arrived at 4:40am and was gone again for rising time.

That is Michael Cahill, voicetracked from 4.00 to 5.30am each weekday. Been like that for a good few months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

That is Michael Cahill, voicetracked from 4.00 to 5.30am each weekday. Been like that for a good few months now.

He took a approx 6 week break during the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

I would prefer if older rte djs were on gold, Brendan Balfe, Mike Murphy, Alf McCarthy, Maxi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I think it's time to seriously consider launching RTE Gold on FM. It may be a promotional service for DAB but that's useless to anyone outside Dublin, Cork City and Limerick City/County.

I think it should take RnaG's FM network bar the Gaeltacht areas where space can be found on FM to accomodate both services as these areas are highly rural and have plenty of FM space. A sweetner could be to improve RnaG coverage in these areas where it can be patchy.

RnaG is available on DAB, Saorview and online in the rest of the country for the very small minority of listeners it has outside the Gaeltachts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

marno21 wrote: »
    I think it's time to seriously consider launching RTE Gold on FM. It may be a promotional service for DAB but that's useless to anyone outside Dublin, Cork City and Limerick City/County.

I think it should take RnaG's FM network bar the Gaeltacht areas where space can be found on FM to accomodate both services as these areas are highly rural and have plenty of FM space. A sweetner could be to improve RnaG coverage in these areas where it can be patchy.

RnaG is available on DAB, Saorview and online in the rest of the country for the very small minority of listeners it has outside the Gaeltachts.

nice idea but rte have to provide a full coverage irish speaking service across the country as part of their PSB remit i believe. it would be good to have 2xm pulse and gold on fm though as they would provide some actual choice, sadly it's not going to happen. the best that can be hoped for i think is an eventual rollout of dab in some form with the commercial sector lobbiests told to like it or lump it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Or call it RTE Ór.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

nice idea but rte have to provide a full coverage irish speaking service across the country as part of their PSB remit i believe. it would be good to have 2xm pulse and gold on fm though as they would provide some actual choice, sadly it's not going to happen. the best that can be hoped for i think is an eventual rollout of dab in some form with the commercial sector lobbiests told to like it or lump it.
    I think changing that should come into focus. BBC Radio 3 is being taken off air in parts of Wales to increase coverage of BBC Radio Wales, which is another similar step.

2XM and Pulse are more niche stations than Gold, although I agree that there is a market for a station like both of those in at least Dublin, only smeared by the failure of TXFM. The amount of dance pirates makes me wonder why there hasn't been a licenced Dance service in Dublin, although it would probably be destroyed by current affairs requirements.

I think RTE Gold on FM would be a roaring success and would free up RTE Radio 1 to have a more defined talk focus (no more Ronan Collins etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

2XM and Pulse are more niche stations than Gold, although I agree that there is a market for a station like both of those in at least Dublin, only smeared by the failure of TXFM. The amount of dance pirates makes me wonder why there hasn't been a licenced Dance service in Dublin, although it would probably be destroyed by current affairs requirements.

that and under the current full service model, in fact, probably any full service model, it wouldn't cover anything other then chart dance. so a community of interest licence would be the only option for a licenced dance station.
    I think RTE Gold on FM would be a roaring success and would free up RTE Radio 1 to have a more defined talk focus (no more Ronan Collins etc.)

oh absolutely. it would enhance and enrich the terrestrial radio offering. no doubt about it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

From memory I think there has always been a music hour between 12pm and 1pm. It is hardly much of an imposition on the talk focus to lose one hour out of twelve starting at 7am. What is the etc apart from Collins that you want to get rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

spurious wrote: »
    Or call it RTE Ór.

Gold is an internationally recognised name for Oldies stations. Ór means nothing to the vast majority of us that don’t speak Irish.

French speakers would recognise Or. Is RTE Gold aimed at an international audience?

Try living outside the greater Dublin area and then you'll know all about choice.

You live in the north west right ? Doesn't your local station ocean fm? play plenty of classic hits from the 70s/80s/90s/00s ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

You live in the north west right ? Doesn't your local station ocean fm? play plenty of classic hits from the 70s/80s/90s/00s ?
    I think most regional stations do.

• Advertisement

I think most regional stations do.

That's what I mean, I'm all in favor of more choice on the airwaves but the way people rave about rte gold, you'd swear that there was a famine of Whitney Huston, Wham, the spice girls and Destiny's Child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

No I don't. The local station plays country and western ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Will Leahy was on the 6 o clock show y'day, saying he was at 2fm for 21 yrs & a photo came up & he'd said it was Ian Dempsey's leaving party, Tony Fenton+Mike Moloney was there too.

I haven't listened to 2fm for a good while, but Will & Rick were weekday dj's moved over to weekends on 2fm, who else got shafted by 2fm, have now gone to Gold?
    I stick on Gold at dinnertime most days, I find it has a better selection than both 4FM and Q102 - the fact it's on DAB is the clincher for me though, as FM reception where the radio is located is patchy.

I like Gold, 2XM and Pulse.

Is DAB available only in largely populated areas like Dublin, are most of them on satellite, never really looked as i assume those stations mentioned are only Dublin local? as it seems there's quite a few?
    Maybe Mike Moloney will resurface on RTE Gold, after he dropped from the Nova schedule recently?

That name always stirs up memories of Moloney after Midnight, afaik was on 2fm?
    No I don't. The local station plays country and western ****e

Tommy Rosney & Pio McCann to name a few :P

Afaik Ocean fm range is Sligo -Donegal town?

Highland is under a big schedule change since Shaun Doherty left, but jaysus Greg Hughes is still there in that slot :(

Will Leahy was on the 6 o clock show y'day, saying he was at 2fm for 21 yrs & a photo came up & he'd said it was Ian Dempsey's leaving party, Tony Fenton+Mike Moloney was there too.

I haven't listened to 2fm for a good while, but Will & Rick were weekday dj's moved over to weekends on 2fm, who else got shafted by 2fm, have now gone to Gold?

Is DAB available only in largely populated areas like Dublin, are most of them on satellite, never really looked as i assume those stations mentioned are only Dublin local? as it seems there's quite a few?

That name always stirs up memories of Moloney after Midnight, afaik was on 2fm?

Tommy Rosney & Pio McCann to name a few :P

Afaik Ocean fm range is Sligo -Donegal town?

Highland is under a big schedule change since Shaun Doherty left, but jaysus Greg Hughes is still there in that slot :(

If you are familiar, DAB transmits from Three Rock, Kippure, Clermont Carn, Spur Hill and Woodcock Hill. Dublin, West Wicklow (Dublin commuter belt), the north east, Cork city and Limerick ciity and part county.

Ocean FM is Sligo, south Donegal and north Leitrim.

The problem is that we licenced youth services for 24 counties (all bar Cork and Wicklow). We only licenced an over 45 service for Cork, Limerick, Clare, Galway, Dublin, SE Meath, NE Kildare and North Wicklow. 4FM is also a poor attempt at this kind of service. Is there a market for an RTE Gold on FM nationwide? Most definately. I think the days of having to provide RTE Lyric FM and RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta on FM nationwide are gone and there is more benefit to having Gold on FM than RnaG. RnaG can easily be carried on FM using spare frequencies in Gaeltacht areas. The minority of listeners outside these areas can use the Internet, Saorview, Sky etc or DAB in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and the NE (half the population)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

If you are familiar, DAB transmits from Three Rock, Kippure, Clermont Carn, Spur Hill and Woodcock Hill. Dublin, West Wicklow (Dublin commuter belt), the north east, Cork city and Limerick ciity and part county.

Ocean FM is Sligo, south Donegal and north Leitrim.

The problem is that we licenced youth services for 24 counties (all bar Cork and Wicklow). We only licenced an over 45 service for Cork, Limerick, Clare, Galway, Dublin, SE Meath, NE Kildare and North Wicklow. 4FM is also a poor attempt at this kind of service. Is there a market for an RTE Gold on FM nationwide? Most definately. I think the days of having to provide RTE Lyric FM and RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta on FM nationwide are gone and there is more benefit to having Gold on FM than RnaG. RnaG can easily be carried on FM using spare frequencies in Gaeltacht areas. The minority of listeners outside these areas can use the Internet, Saorview, Sky etc or DAB in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and the NE (half the population)

I had limited knowledge of DAB, like seeing the radio's in Aldi's, but my thinking it'd be pointless here to use if you can't pick them up?

I see that most/all RTE radio stations are on satellite, inc Newstalk, but not TodayFM?

Is that Gold on sky ch 0121?
    Would it be like an extended play of Larry Gogan's Golden Hour :p

. I think the days of having to provide RTE Lyric FM and RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta on FM nationwide are gone and there is more benefit to having Gold on FM than RnaG.

I predict an almighty outcry if RnaG was replaced with a station playing foreign pop music. Especially from the people who are trying to enhance the position of the language in Northern Ireland, including by increasing the use of Irish on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Expunge

Is there a market for an RTE Gold on FM nationwide? Most definately. I think the days of having to provide RTE Lyric FM and RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta on FM nationwide are gone and there is more benefit to having Gold on FM than RnaG. RnaG can easily be carried on FM using spare frequencies in Gaeltacht areas. The minority of listeners outside these areas can use the Internet, Saorview, Sky etc or DAB in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and the NE (half the population)

Hold your horses there for a moment......

What is RTE for if not to provide the most straightforward access to minority/loss making cultural services? It's one of the reasons why they harvest license fee money AND are allowed to sell advertising and sponsorship.
    There is no justification for RTE putting Gold on nationwide FM, although I agree with you that it would do very well.

The days of providing Lyric and RnaG on nationwide FM are still very much here, till DAB+ becomes as accessible as FM is now. It is RTE's job more than providing a Gold station. Otherwise they can say bye bye to a chunk of license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

just been trying to get RTE gold on Internet Radio it said "No Content" so then went to laptop and put in https://gold.rte.ie/ - and it didnt work - then tried it on 'is it down?' website checker and it says its down for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

just been trying to get RTE gold on Internet Radio it said "No Content" so then went to laptop and put in https://gold.rte.ie/ - and it didnt work - then tried it on 'is it down?' website checker and it says its down for everyone...

working good for me is your wi-fi down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mr Snow wrote: »
    working good for me is your wi-fi down

Thanks, working on the internet radio now but the https://gold.rte.ie/ url not working for me still

Advertisement